I consider a 17" as a minimum for a desktop replacement so, personally, I'd scratch off the Asus K73SV.

Are there any customizations to the Sager NP8130 you wanted to make?

I'm. Not looking to replace my desktop but more so for useage when I'm traveling @ a friends house or using xbl.

Only changes I would make would be to add a bluray drive and i7 processor.

Ok, so I was whanging against the Mac Lion today. Got a USB modem sorted out, so was going to use it to give connectivity, but...

USB modem requires Java JRE to install, which in turn requires internet connectivity, which in turn was what the USB modem is for, which in turn...

Yeah. That.

Not the end. So I "borrowed" a hotspot, and got the download to come down (65+ mb for JDK 1.6... over a wonky 3G network). So now the USB modem works, generally ok, but the firmware was for OS X 10.6. Lion's 10.7, and my local ISP has a firmware upgrade. So I happily went over (after installing Flash player!) and downloaded it...

... Only to find that in order to update your USB modem with the firmware, you need to use a PC with Windows, download drivers from the ISP site, install the USB modem on a Windows platform, flash the USB modem, and then reconnect the USB modem on the Mac.

... W.T.F?

It's a grindy start. But we're getting somewhere.

I'm. Not looking to replace my desktop but more so for useage when I'm traveling @ a friends house or using xbl.

Only changes I would make would be to add a bluray drive and i7 processor.

The Asus N55SF would probably be the better deal. Adding the Blu-Ray drive and the i7 CPU would up the price to the N55SF, and the N55SF has most of those components plus a larger HD. If you add a larger HD to the NP8130, the price is higher than the N55SF, so bringing up to the same spec makes the N55SF stand out as the cheaper option (without tax/fees).

The Asus N55SF would probably be the better deal. Adding the Blu-Ray drive and the i7 CPU would up the price to the N55SF, and the N55SF has most of those components plus a larger HD. If you add a larger HD to the NP8130, the price is higher than the N55SF, so bringing up to the same spec makes the N55SF stand out as the cheaper option (without tax/fees).

Started looking and thinking that maybe 17" is the way to go.

Almost same price as the asus with various upgrades... bluray,processor & different display(debating that part glossy vs. non- glossy). Sager NP5175

I got a BlackBerry PlayBook for dirt cheap. Anyone know any good uses for it?

Sell it, give it to the kids, picture frame, hack it.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Sell it, give it to the kids, picture frame, hack it.

I'm a technophile; I wouldn't have bought it in the first place if I was just going to resell it. And I don't have kids. So the first two are out.

The picture frame isn't a bad idea. The charging docks are on clearance at Staples, so I could pick up one cheap. I was thinking I might do so something similar, but have it show a clock instead of pictures. I just moved from a one bedroom apartment to a house, and I don't have a clock in the computer room (where I spend most of my time). Not a huge deal when I'm just surfing the net, but if I'm playing a PC game I'm into I tend to lose track of time.

Hacking it's not a bad idea either. I mean, I like QNX. It's very similar to webOS (enough so that I'm a little surprised there were no lawsuits). But there's hardly any apps for it. I mean, I think the TouchPad (which I also bought dirt cheap) has more. I'll give it a month or so to see if they ever get around to releasing that update that'll let it run Android apps. If not, maybe I'll see if anyone's got it to run Android outright.

If anyone cares, software's ok, app support sucks, but the hardware is really nice. Solid construction, nice grippy back, great screen, surprisingly good speakers for as small as it is, pre-installed video player has .avi support. Nowhere near worth the $499 price RIM wanted, but lots of places are selling it for less now (Staples is selling them for $249 after a rebate).

Started looking and thinking that maybe 17" is the way to go.

Almost same price as the asus with various upgrades... bluray,processor & different display(debating that part glossy vs. non- glossy). Sager NP5175

IMO, 17" is a lot of laptop to carry around. I have rarely seen people who want to carry around a 17" laptop, even on occasional use. Unless screen size really matters, I'd stick with the 15".

IMO, 17" is a lot of laptop to carry around. I have rarely seen people who want to carry around a 17" laptop, even on occasional use. Unless screen size really matters, I'd stick with the 15".

I wouldn't be carrying it too much mainly from upstairs to downstairs. With my previous laptop I sometimes wished i had a larger/ wider screen.

I wouldn't be carrying it too much mainly from upstairs to downstairs. With my previous laptop I sometimes wished i had a larger/ wider screen.

Well that makes it a bit clearer. I thought you meant packing it into the car or suitcase and bringing it around.

So what is currently the best Security Suit on the market, what do macrossworlders use?

My Kasperky License runs out in about a months time and I am contemplating whether I should stick with them.

People hate to hear it because it's gotten something of a bad rep, but objective tests say Norton Internet Security.

That said, I use Microsoft Security Essentials for protection, and Malwarebytes Anti Malware for removal.

I do pentesting as part of my job and it all depends on what you might be exposed to. I can tell you the last thing i uploaded to virustotal i was surprised to find that McAfee McAfee-GW edition and VIPRE were the only three to catch the wrapped virus (of course the aim is for it to go undetectable).

I got my Playbook before the Kindle-Fire inspired price slash >_< ... my list of pro's and con's is similar to what people have already said. If you're ok with the dearth of apps, it's a nice "tactical" tablet to have. The smaller size allows me to pretty easily slip it into a larger internal jacket&coat pocket - but then again, a good smartphone would fit this requirement fairly easily.

In other news, I will be taking the Oracle Java Associate exam in November. Anyone have experience with this one? It seems fairly straightforward.

• 2 weeks later...

So two days ago, I try to burn a dual-layer DVD. Everything runs like normal at first, but then the drive spits the disc out and Nero gives me an error. So I grab a different disc and try again, but my Asus drive acts like there's no disc. Now, although I've had the drive for coming up on a year, it's the first dual-layer disc I've tried to burn, so I figure it's just being a pain and I grab my external Memorex drive, which burned without an issue.

Later, I put the freshly burned disc into the Asus drive to try to get at some of the files I'd put on it. The light blinks, and I can hear the disc spinning, but after a few minutes the drive stops and the computer acts like there's no disc inserted. Again, I grab the external drive, and it worked fine. I'm starting to suspect a problem with the drive. So I grab my retail copy of Deus Ex, which I'd installed on my computer using the Asus drive no more than three weeks or so ago. Same deal, drive spins, then quits, and Windows thinks there's no disc.

The drive is showing up in the Device Manager, and DM says there's no problems. But every disc I've tried in it spins, the light blinks, then the drive quits. Windows Explorer shows the drive, but nothing in it. If I double click it, I get the "insert disc" message.

I'm assuming hardware failure, and I've ordered a replacement Samsung drive from Newegg. But in the mean time, are there any software issues I could explore? I've tried running sfc /scannow, and no issues were reported. I've tried deleting the upper and lower filters, which did nothing for me. I've tried uninstalling the drive in the Device Manager and rebooting, but the problem persists.

Edited by mikeszekely

Is there a firmware update for the drive? You may need to flash the burner with a newer firmware.

Near as I can figure, the firmware on the drive is 1.04, and that's what is shipped with. On Asus' site, the only download listed is actually 1.03. I'm hesitant to flash an older firmware. Not that I can screw up the drive any worse.

Well, I finally got around to purchasing some new hardware.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

Memory: 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Unfortunately, it's not together yet because the mobo came with some damaged CPU socket pins. It's a known issue (but not a common problem) with this board. My replacement board (same model) should be here tomorrow; hopefully it'll be free of defects.

I plan to take the CPU over 4GHz once I'm rolling.

Near as I can figure, the firmware on the drive is 1.04, and that's what is shipped with. On Asus' site, the only download listed is actually 1.03. I'm hesitant to flash an older firmware. Not that I can screw up the drive any worse.

Have you tried a different burning software? Burnaware or ImgBurn?

Have you tried a different burning software? Burnaware or ImgBurn?

No. The problem isn't that the burner won't read a disc to burn it with a program, or that Nero is misbehaving. I was able to burn my disc just fine with Nero when I hooked up a burner. The drive doesn't recognize any disc, single layer or dual layer, DVD or CD, blank, burned, or retail.

The replacement Samsung drive arrived today and was install quickly without issue. I haven't tried burning anything on it yet, but I did toss my copy of Deus Ex into it, where it was quickly recognized and I was greeted with an autoplay window. It's definitely looking like hardware failure on the Asus drive, which bums me out since I've had it for maybe a year. I guess I'll try cleaning it up, maybe toss it onto a computer I can more afford to screw up, and maybe flash a different BIOS. For now, my main comp is up and running, and that's what matters.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

GPU: PowerColor AX6970 2GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I should receive my parts Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll update when it's running.

Just make sure that the motherboard has Intel SATA 3 controllers for your SSD, otherwise it will run like crap. If it is a Marvell controller don't even bother. I learnt that the hard way.

Edited by kensei

Just make sure that the motherboard has Intel SATA 3 controllers for your SSD, otherwise it will run like crap. If it is a Marvell controller don't even bother. I learnt that the hard way.

Yep :) Fortunately, all is good here, had caught that distinction before ordering. Really good advice in general though.

Duke, you get your new rig put together yet? I'd like to see how yours overclocks with the Hyper 212. Mine's been pretty happy with the stock cooler at 3.9ghz, so I'd expect some serious headroom on yours..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I think I'm going to do a slight upgrade and get an old Q6600 quad core but I'm also thinking about a new heatsink/fan. However, it seems as if there are nothing but complaints about how badly fans and heatsinks fit, install, etc. Would you guys be able to recommend something? I get the impression that buying one of these things, especially an aftermarket one, is a crap shoot because of fitment issues in cases and whatnot. Thanks in advance...

Hey guys, I think I'm going to do a slight upgrade and get an old Q6600 quad core but I'm also thinking about a new heatsink/fan. However, it seems as if there are nothing but complaints about how badly fans and heatsinks fit, install, etc. Would you guys be able to recommend something? I get the impression that buying one of these things, especially an aftermarket one, is a crap shoot because of fitment issues in cases and whatnot. Thanks in advance...

This may sound odd, but unless your box is cramped or you're planning on overclocking, I've never had an issue with Intel's stock coolers.

If you're set on an aftermarket cooler, I've heard pretty good things about Scythe's products, although some of them do tend to be pretty large. There's this one that's smaller, though.

Mike I'm relieved to hear you say that. I personally have never had issue with stock coolers, but then again I'm not a serious OC'er or teh 1337 gamer. I was poking around asking about the Q6600 and people recommended that I bring that up to 3.0 with an aftermarket cooler. If you're saying I should be fine with the stock intel cooler that's good enough for me.

Also, what's your take on buying a used CPU? I don't want to go with the I series processors yet, but the idea of buying a used CPU sounds.....wrong or something...

Edited by myk

Buying used is like buying anything used: As long as the last owner didn't abuse it, it should be OK. I overclock my CPUs (currently my AMD 1090T is runing at 3.9 Ghz, up from stock 3.2 Ghz), and for that reason, I will not sell it to anybody, as I consider overclocking a mild form of abuse, even though the CPU was designed to do it.

Mike I'm relieved to hear you say that. I personally have never had issue with stock coolers, but then again I'm not a serious OC'er or teh 1337 gamer. I was poking around asking about the Q6600 and people recommended that I bring that up to 3.0 with an aftermarket cooler. If you're saying I should be fine with the stock intel cooler that's good enough for me.

As Mike said, as long as you're not overclocking, the stock cooler is fine. If you are going to OC it, then spend a little more money and get a better cooler.

Also, what's your take on buying a used CPU? I don't want to go with the I series processors yet, but the idea of buying a used CPU sounds.....wrong or something...

I've built two gaming PCs with Intel CPUs now. The first was a Core 2 Duo (E8500, IIRC). My current PC runs a Core i7 950. In both cases, I've run them at the stock speeds (3.0GHz for the Duo, 3.07GHz for the i7), and in both cases I've run them with the stock coolers. I haven't had any problems with either (although it definitely helps if you're using a quality case with good airflow... so far, I've used Antec and I've been very happy with both cases). Like I said before, the stock coolers are just fine if you're not overclocking, and while overclocking earns you geek points, I don't think most people do a lot of CPU-intensive stuff to really notice a benefit on a daily basis... and I say this as a gamer! I've just found it easier to start with a good CPU in the first place, and if you do decide to do gaming, a good GPU.

As for buying a used CPU, well, I wouldn't. I mean, if you know the previous owner, and you know they took care of it, that's one thing. But I'd be to worried about a bent pin somewhere between taking it out of the old owner's board, packing it up, transporting it to you, and inserting it in your board. Then again, I almost never buy used computer parts. When I decide it's time to upgrade, I start squirreling away money until I have around $1200-$1500 I can spend free and clear, and they I order a bunch of parts from Newegg. I find few things in life as satisfying as getting a bunch of boxes, taking the contents out of those boxes, and spending the afternoon building a reasonably-priced gaming rig.

I've built two gaming PCs with Intel CPUs now. The first was a Core 2 Duo (E8500, IIRC). My current PC runs a Core i7 950. In both cases, I've run them at the stock speeds (3.0GHz for the Duo, 3.07GHz for the i7), and in both cases I've run them with the stock coolers. I haven't had any problems with either (although it definitely helps if you're using a quality case with good airflow... so far, I've used Antec and I've been very happy with both cases). Like I said before, the stock coolers are just fine if you're not overclocking, and while overclocking earns you geek points, I don't think most people do a lot of CPU-intensive stuff to really notice a benefit on a daily basis... and I say this as a gamer! I've just found it easier to start with a good CPU in the first place, and if you do decide to do gaming, a good GPU.

As for buying a used CPU, well, I wouldn't. I mean, if you know the previous owner, and you know they took care of it, that's one thing. But I'd be to worried about a bent pin somewhere between taking it out of the old owner's board, packing it up, transporting it to you, and inserting it in your board. Then again, I almost never buy used computer parts. When I decide it's time to upgrade, I start squirreling away money until I have around $1200-$1500 I can spend free and clear, and they I order a bunch of parts from Newegg. I find few things in life as satisfying as getting a bunch of boxes, taking the contents out of those boxes, and spending the afternoon building a reasonably-priced gaming rig.

Blasphemy! Your supposed to pay someone 600 usd to build it or buy an alenware laptop. For we all know they make the best computers :rolleyes:

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

When I decide it's time to upgrade, I start squirreling away money until I have around $1200-$1500 I can spend free and clear, and then I order a bunch of parts from Newegg. I find few things in life as satisfying as getting a bunch of boxes, taking the contents out of those boxes, and spending the afternoon building a reasonably-priced gaming rig.

You know what you're right. I've never bought a used PC part and I don't want to start now. What a concept though Mike, "saving" money and then going out and buying what you need-something I never learned to do...