Quick question for the Linux users out there... what distro do you prefer? And which desktop environment? I'd tried a few in my time, including Mepis, Xandros, Knoppix, and SUSE, but since about version 6.06 I had a strong preference for Kubuntu. By extension, I'd also preferred KDE, which seemed easier to navigate than GNOME.

All that changed with the release of KDE 4. I'd considered quitting Linux entirely at that point, since I'm content to run Windows as my main OS, but a friend of mine gave me an old PC he wasn't using and I had a few happy months with Xandros 4, before giving that computer to another friend. When next I had enough leftover parts to build a Linux box, I gave Kubuntu another shot, still hated KDE 4, and then figured that all those Ubuntu users must be on to something. I think that was around Ubuntu 9.04, and I've had a Linux box running Ubuntu ever since. I'm no fan of the new Unity interface, though. I go with the "Ubuntu Classic" GNOME desktop, although I did delete the panel at the bottom and install Docky to replace it.

Content as I've been with Ubuntu, it seems like there's a lot going on in Linux land. There's a ton of desktops to choose from now (I guess there always were, but it seemed like KDE, GNOME, and maybe XFCE were the only serious choices)... this is reflected in the fact that there are a ton of Ubuntu-derivatives out there now. What's more, it seems that Ubuntu (although still the top Linux distro according to DistroWatch.com) has been falling out of favor with the community, with Mint being cited as a better alternative.

As luck would have it, my wife recently got a new laptop, so I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 11.04 on it, but that still leaves me with my old Linux box to experiment with. If any of you think I'd like something better than Ubuntu/GNOME, let me know, and I'll give it a try.

Just upgraded to Win 7, a few questions (since every google result is from beta or release day):

Window size/position. Not just folders, but programs. They really can't be saved? That's like the most essential thing there is in Windowsâ„¢---the windows! I've had to resize my browser window like 500 times today...

Classic Start Menu--gah, just couldn't deal with clicking clicking clicking. Found a little program to give me XP-style (really more like 98 even) cascading program menus--I hover for a split second, and it expands. For those of use who use LOTS of programs on a weekly basis, having a rapidly-expanding-cascading programs list that you don't have to scroll through is essential. Making everything "must click to expand" is mind-blowingly stupid. (but not as stupid as removing "remember window size and position") Same for "recent documents"---just hover. Don't have to click through everything.

Those are the big ones, I'm sure I'll find more. But overall, I kinda feel like I wasted my money. Bought 7 because XP was just plain old now, but I'm spending lots of time modifying 7 just to make it half-assed usable. Like the programs list. And it's going to take forever to get text/fonts right. The dpi setting now changes EVERYTHING, not just fonts. 125% fonts are good, 125% pics and buttons when browsing the web are not.

Oh, one more thing---since Win 7 (or is it IE9?) likes to scan/judge/evaluate everything you download from the web---can it be disabled? I mean, that's what I have an anti-virus program for---and they don't pop-up a box for everything. (and the fact that you have to do a drop-menu selection and "save as" to save something anywhere but the default location is annoying)---it used to simply ask where you wanted it----I don't know about other people, but I don't put everything and anything in one huge "downloads" folder---I tend to send it where I plan to keep it)

Window size/position. Not just folders, but programs. They really can't be saved? That's like the most essential thing there is in Windowsâ„¢---the windows! I've had to resize my browser window like 500 times today...

You should be able to save them. Can't remember if it was a setting or automatic.

Classic Start Menu--gah, just couldn't deal with clicking clicking clicking. Found a little program to give me XP-style (really more like 98 even) cascading program menus--I hover for a split second, and it expands. For those of use who use LOTS of programs on a weekly basis, having a rapidly-expanding-cascading programs list that you don't have to scroll through is essential. Making everything "must click to expand" is mind-blowingly stupid. (but not as stupid as removing "remember window size and position") Same for "recent documents"---just hover. Don't have to click through everything.

Classic Start menu = gone. Don't bother looking for it. There are hacks to get something resembling it but don't bother. If you play with Group Policy, you can get some classic functionality in there, but again, Classic Start menu = gone, don't look for it. I've actually gotten use to the freakin Start menu as it is in Window 7 now.

Those are the big ones, I'm sure I'll find more. But overall, I kinda feel like I wasted my money. Bought 7 because XP was just plain old now, but I'm spending lots of time modifying 7 just to make it half-assed usable. Like the programs list. And it's going to take forever to get text/fonts right. The dpi setting now changes EVERYTHING, not just fonts. 125% fonts are good, 125% pics and buttons when browsing the web are not.

Like with all new things, you'll have to adjust the settings to get it right. Thankfully, I abuse Group Policy to cut down my time in customizing. Make it Default behavior I say. :)

Oh, one more thing---since Win 7 (or is it IE9?) likes to scan/judge/evaluate everything you download from the web---can it be disabled? I mean, that's what I have an anti-virus program for---and they don't pop-up a box for everything. (and the fact that you have to do a drop-menu selection and "save as" to save something anywhere but the default location is annoying)---it used to simply ask where you wanted it----I don't know about other people, but I don't put everything and anything in one huge "downloads" folder---I tend to send it where I plan to keep it)

Disable the phising filter/trusted hosts-thingy. It will bitch but that's what Firefox and Chrome are for. :)

Just upgraded to Win 7, a few questions (since every google result is from beta or release day):

No, Windows 7 should absolutely remember the size and position of your open Windows. I know this because I have Firefox set to stretch from the top of the screen to the task bar vertically, but about two or three inches in from the edge on the left to the edge of the HTC Sense-style weather/clock widget I placed in the upper right corner. I don't recall having to find any special setting for it, and it works normally on the three computers I use with Windows 7. Just to be on the safe side, I opened IE, moved it around and resized it, closed it, opened it again, moved it and resized it again, closed it, and opened it. Every time I closed it and reopened it, the window was the size and position I left it.

There are only two instances when Windows might forget. The first is if you open three Windows Explorer windows... say My Documents, My Pictures, and Program Files. You set each to a different position and size, then close them all. Later you reopen one of the folders, and find that it's in the size and position of the last folder closed before. That's normal behavior for Windows, because it remembers folder settings globally instead of individually (but that shouldn't be affecting your program windows) If you want to change this behavior, a program like ShellFolderFix might help. Second, if you have stuff open, and then logout (or perhaps if the computer sleeps, if you have it set to go to the lock screen when it wakes up), the Windows may have moved when you log back in. This is actually a bug, and there is a hotfix for it.

I'm not sure what to suggest about your whole font-size thing... that was a problem for you in Windows XP, I recall. But then again, I'm content with everything at the default settings on a 1680x1050 22" monitor about two feet in front of me. If you have Windows set globally at 125%, then open IE and hit Ctrl and the - key, does the text become too small in IE, then?

I haven't used a "Classic" style start menu... well, ever. I like Windows 7's start menu the way it is, although I see what you mean about the hovering vs. clicking thing. But if you use a lot of programs regularly, I'd suggest pinning them to the task bar, which is kind of similar to the Mac OS dock now. Not only will it gain you quick access to the programs you use the most often, but right-clicking a lot of them will display a jump list that will show recently used files, among other useful things. For example, if you were working on a spreadsheet in Excel, and Excel is pinned to the task bar, right-clicking the Excel icon might show that document in the jump list. If there's one spreadsheet you work on a lot (my wife keeps track of all our finances in an Excel sheet), you can actually pin it on the jump list so that it always shows. I really only use the Start Menu to get at certain folders or the Control Panel now (which I do use Classic View for).

As a test, I went to Droid Life and downloaded an apk file. The popup appeared at the bottom, and I clicked to save it. It didn't scan or evaluate it or whatever at all, so I wonder if you just have to change a security setting somewhere? I'm sorry I'm not more help with that, but I'm a Firefox user. But yes, without clicking the drop down box and picking "Save as" it does automatically save it to Downloads, and no, I have no idea how you'd change that. But that's really more an IE thing than a Windows 7 thing.

You can relax or disable the User Account Controls settings via the control panel.

See: http://www.petri.co.il/disable-uac-in-windows-7.htm

For my money, Win7 is the best thing yet out of Redmond. It takes a bit more tweaking to get everything set up "just the way you want it", but that's only because there are so many more features available and enabled by default compared to previous versions. I've never been enamored of the MS defaults in any Windows version, but if you put the time in on 7 to customize, you'll come out happy with what you've got.

David, I don't know why your windows aren't staying the same. I've never had that issue. As for lists, I think they want you to focus more on pinning. You can pin multiple things to a single icon on the task bar now and quickly access them from there. It constantly asking you where to download and save something is a browser thing. Also, like Hiriyu said, turn off "user account control" to stop it from bugging you all the time. I've personally never had any issues with webpages, documents, programs, etc. having the wrong settings when it came to resolution or dpi running various sizes of monitors. What are you trying to do with the font sizes? Different sizes in different places? Try the ctrl+mousewheel resize. Maybe you'll find something you like without the manual headaches.

The basic problem I see a LOT of people run into is that they are so used to an ancient OS that they want the new one to be the old one with better behind the scenes mechanics. That isn't the case with 7. It's just simply not XP. Modding the crap out of your system to make it resemble/run XP ends up making the whole point for upgrading moot. You'll end up sucking all kinds of resources just to make sure it looks pretty over learning how to use and become acquainted with the new OS. It sucks, but its generally a necessity.

As of 2 mins ago I finally found a useful font size hack. (99% of "bigger font" methods suck, because they make EVERYTHING bigger--that means blurry pics, icons, buttons, etc---I don't want the whole screen zoomed--JUST text). Will report back once I got it tweaked more.

I'll try pinning etc in the future---for now I need my "classic" interface just to be able to make all my visual tweaks/changes first quickly, get all my programs installed, etc. THEN I'll learn the new UI. :)

::edit:: or not. It changed everything, not just text. I may have to live with it though---even going through the reg hacks and 7 forums makes it seem that changing only fonts size (of ALL fonts, not just the menu/active title bar/icon ones you've been able to select since 95), and not the size of everything, is almost impossible.

Ok, I'm already sick of "allowing" nearly every program I own 10 times a day, since Win7 won't ever "remember" that I allowed a program access, and there seems to be no easy way of permanently granting programs I trust access to whatever they want. Any reason NOT to turn off the UAC?

I just don't have time this week to siphon through google results:

I have Windows Defender turned off. I want it off. But it bugs me at every boot and log-in for every user that it's off.

How do I get it to just shut up and stop telling me that it's off? I have disabled and turned off Defender itself in every way I can find, but the message saying it's off still keeps coming up.

How do I get it to just shut up and stop telling me that it's off? I have disabled and turned off Defender itself in every way I can find, but the message saying it's off still keeps coming up.

Speaking from Vista experience... you don't. You just learn to ignore it.

I've never had 7 bug me about UAC or defender. You can "change how windows notifies me" in the settings without deleting any registry values.

Edit: Are you running any kind of anti-virus? Action Center stops bugging you if you are because it knows there's something taking the place of Defender.

Edited by Chewie

Freaking A, I got a virus. Something like "Windows 7 Recovery". I swear, there's more and more of these fake antivirus viruses, and they're getting easier and easier to catch. I mean, I keep Flash, Firefox, and Windows up-to-date. I regularly scan my stuff with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Could be worse... at least I can fix these things without paying through the nose for some kind of professional service. And in the meantime, I've got two tablets, two laptops and two other desktops I can use (and the two Linux computers are looking especially good right now).

Freaking A, I got a virus. Something like "Windows 7 Recovery". I swear, there's more and more of these fake antivirus viruses, and they're getting easier and easier to catch. I mean, I keep Flash, Firefox, and Windows up-to-date. I regularly scan my stuff with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Ad-Block Plus and NoScript are your best friends. :)

The paranoid way to avoid accidents like this would be to disable Javascript...but then most things on the 'Net won't work.

Ad-Block Plus and NoScript are your best friends. :)

The paranoid way to avoid accidents like this would be to disable Javascript...but then most things on the 'Net won't work.

Yeah, I think I'd tried both back in the days of Firefox 1.5, and didn't care for them for some reason. Guess it's better to suck it up and use them anyway. It's either that, run my browser in a virtual machine, or use my Windows computer for gaming and do my web browsing from a Linux box.

Like I said before, though, at least I know what I'm doing here, so instead of being out $200 and having Staples fix it, I'm just out a few hours of downtime. I'm already mostly back on my feet (I just like a few all-clear scans).

*EDIT Had to restore Windows to three days ago, because the virus deleted all the Start Menu shortcuts (it also disabled the Task Manager and marked every file and folder on my C drive as Hidden, but those were quicker fixes). MSE and Super Antispyware Portable are both reporting the system is clean, and I'll let it run one more full scan with Malwarebytes overnight. Did a little poking and found that although Windows, Firefox, Flash, and MSE were all up-to-date, I was a little behind of Java (Version 6 Update 22 instead of Update 25). I did install AdBlock Plus, which seems fine, and NoScript, but I found NoScript to be too intrusive.

Edited by mikeszekely

I actually got a version of that malware on my work computer just before a big deadline. I think it was XP Security 2011. SUCKED. I picked up from going to msnbc.com. I probably clicked on a story that led to a different site where the malware had managed to get hosted. I didn't choose to run anything. I was pissed. So anyway, my IT guys decide to image my computer instead of removing the virus to some image from YEARS ago. What a pain.

Best tutorial for introducing someone to Windows who's ALMOST a total newbie? As in, they can generally navigate a simple website by clicking around it, but if you want them to open up/find a folder or resize a window, they're totally lost. Don't understand drag-n-drop or cut-n-paste. Rarely remember that right-clicking will bring up a lot of useful options. But they can double-click on an icon on the desktop to open their 2 most-used programs, or will understand if you ask them to click "tools" then "options" then "whatever". If something shows up in "my documents" or a recently-used-documents list they're fine, but if it doesn't, they're fairly lost. Ultimate goal is to let them plug their camera to the PC via a USB camera or insert an SD card, and transfer the pics they want, to the folder they want. (and then be able to find said folder in the future). (sure, Windows can do this semi-automatically, but will only ever put it in "My Documents" or "My Pictures" which is worthless--they really need to learn the basics of windows explorer, and really what a "window" is----a way to see what files are in a folder) (they also need to understand that a shortcut on the desktop is just that--a link to something on the hard drive---not the ACTUAL location of something)

And I'd much prefer a sort of interactive/video tutorial. Many are just slides of text. And most of the ones on Youtube suck, as they seem to be running WinXP on a 286 processor that renders only 3 frames per second.

Best tutorial for introducing someone to Windows who's ALMOST a total newbie? As in, they can generally navigate a simple website by clicking around it, but if you want them to open up/find a folder or resize a window, they're totally lost. Don't understand drag-n-drop or cut-n-paste. Rarely remember that right-clicking will bring up a lot of useful options. But they can double-click on an icon on the desktop to open their 2 most-used programs, or will understand if you ask them to click "tools" then "options" then "whatever". If something shows up in "my documents" or a recently-used-documents list they're fine, but if it doesn't, they're fairly lost. Ultimate goal is to let them plug their camera to the PC via a USB camera or insert an SD card, and transfer the pics they want, to the folder they want. (and then be able to find said folder in the future). (sure, Windows can do this semi-automatically, but will only ever put it in "My Documents" or "My Pictures" which is worthless--they really need to learn the basics of windows explorer, and really what a "window" is----a way to see what files are in a folder) (they also need to understand that a shortcut on the desktop is just that--a link to something on the hard drive---not the ACTUAL location of something)

And I'd much prefer a sort of interactive/video tutorial. Many are just slides of text. And most of the ones on Youtube suck, as they seem to be running WinXP on a 286 processor that renders only 3 frames per second.

PMed you.

Edited by mikeszekely

Ok, have noticed something odd with Win7/IE9------I can't see anything from tinypic.com. Seems to be consistent, and other people can see those same pics, so I don't think tinypic's acting up or anything. I've even added it to my trusted sites list and I still don't get anything.

Ok, have noticed something odd with Win7/IE9------I can't see anything from tinypic.com. Seems to be consistent, and other people can see those same pics, so I don't think tinypic's acting up or anything. I've even added it to my trusted sites list and I still don't get anything.

Have you tried using another web browser to see if the same thing happens? Are you using the 32-bit version or 64-bit version of IE9? Some sites don't play well with the 64-bit version. Make sure the site isn't listed in the Restricted Sites list as I believe that takes precedence over everything else. There might be an addon preventing you from viewing the pictures.... If you haven't already, you could try IE's Compatibility View. May also want to try and reset IE's settings. If you can view the pictures in another web browser but not IE9, and you've tried those few things....you might need to re-install IE9. The only other thing I can think of is that HOSTS file might be preventing you from viewing the pictures if it has been modified....

Ok, same issue with Twitgoo. Really stymied now. Completely disabling anti-virus, adding to trusted sites, and viewing in comptability mode---does nothing. There's just something about "sites with pics that use short urls" or something.

::edit:: may have solved it---I think my ethernet card didn't like the driver that win7 installed. I went and got an old driver from the manufacturer's site and it those sites seem to be working now.

Question about ereaders and ereading apps...

I have a decent collection of books in the epub format on my computer's hard drive. I've been using an app called Aldiko to read them on my Android phone, but I have an iPad and have been contemplating getting an Android tablet as well (I was actually set to buy an Acer Iconia Tab, but wound up buying tires instead). I already enjoy the iPad's larger screen for reading magazines and comic books, I figure I might like reading books on it, too.

Now, I've noticed that Amazon advertises their Whispersync thing, were if you start reading a book on the Kindle app for Android or iPhone that it'll mark your place in the cloud so you can pick up from their on the iPad or on an actual Kindle. Sounds great, but it only works with Kindle books. So I'm asking you guys if there are any apps or services that I can use to sync my last page read or sync a bookmark between devices with epubs I've loaded from my computer rather than bought from a particular ebook vendor. I like Aldiko, but I'd give it up for a less-polished ereader that had some kind of sync ability. I don't have an ereader preference on the iPad.

• 3 weeks later...

Having a bit of a weird problem with my laptop. It keeps shutting down at random, usually after a couple of hours, but sometimes after just half an hour, other times it will run almost 24 hours without an issue. I thought it was a heat thing at first, but I cleaned it throughout, reattached the heat sinks and fan and still it keeps doing it. I even set it on a good external heat sink, that seemed to help, but still it shuts down. It came back clean for virus' spyware and adware, so any ideas?

Having a bit of a weird problem with my laptop. It keeps shutting down at random, usually after a couple of hours, but sometimes after just half an hour, other times it will run almost 24 hours without an issue. I thought it was a heat thing at first, but I cleaned it throughout, reattached the heat sinks and fan and still it keeps doing it. I even set it on a good external heat sink, that seemed to help, but still it shuts down. It came back clean for virus' spyware and adware, so any ideas?

If it's not a heat issue, it's very likely an issue with the RAM.

I'm having almost the exact same problem; my just randomly clicks off then immediately reboots. On mine it tends to happen when I've been watching/listening to a lot of streaming video/audio and occasionally when saving Photoshop files, So I'm leaning towards bad RAM as well.

I'm probably going to take it to best buy to have it checked out to be be sure though.

I'm probably going to take it to best buy to have it checked out to be be sure though.

Best Buy? Why not Staples?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm currently working as a technician at a Staples store. I'm not implying that Best Buy's services are worse or that Staples is better, just curious why Best Buy seems to come to mind for a lot of people first.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm currently working as a technician at a Staples store. I'm not implying that Best Buy's services are worse or that Staples is better, just curious why Best Buy seems to come to mind for a lot of people first.

If it were in my area, I'd say word of mouth.

We get a lot of people who come to us to fix what the local Staples' have done to their computers. Being in a smaller community where everything is busy body or word of mouth, it's not hard to lose a customer base for things like that.

Geek Squad is by no means the best on the block in a lot of areas, but ours is pretty top notch.

If it were in my area, I'd say word of mouth.

We get a lot of people who come to us to fix what the local Staples' have done to their computers. Being in a smaller community where everything is busy body or word of mouth, it's not hard to lose a customer base for things like that.

Geek Squad is by no means the best on the block in a lot of areas, but ours is pretty top notch.

I guess it goes to show that the individual technicians and even store management can have a bigger effect than corporate policies.

I'm not defending Staples as a company. We ourselves have had issues where we found ourselves loaning employees to another store because they had a backlog of work orders, some of them over a month old.

But in our more immediate area, we actually have the exact opposite experience as you. That the Geek Squad at our local BB is rude, incompetent, or both. (For what it's worth, while I don't deal with my local BB's Geek Squad, I do shop there frequently and have found most of the staff to be pleasant and helpful, and have maybe twice in 10 years come across a dumb kid who was obviously bullshitting me without realizing that I knew more than he did). And of course, at my Staples I pride myself on timely, professional service. Tech services have grown at our store to the point that corporate reclassified our store and gave us a remodel.

I'm thinking that it might be advertising. Best Buy's done a better job establishing the Geek Squad as something different than the blue shirts, and then advertising the Geek Squad's services. Aside from job titles, Staples doesn't really have the same distinction between the resident technicians and the salespeople, and I think the recent commercial for a promotional data transfer was the first time that Staples has really advertised tech services outside the fliers in the Sunday papers.

Edited by mikeszekely

honestly, it's mainly because I've been sitting on a Best Buy gift card since Christmas and I'm hopping I'll find something to spend it on while I'm down there. ^_^