Five Star Stories Reboot

CrusherJ

2 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

I'm working on the Volks GGI currently.
I think they got a quick licence when the FSS movie came out.

It sucks but cost me 200+ for a $39 USD kit so I'm building it hook or krook!

Nooo, Volks has been making FSS kits even before the movie.  And the GGI was released in the mid-late 90s, at least if my memory of that time is correct.  I had a friend tell me that they used to go for two-hundred dollars until they were reissued a decade later for like 5,000 yen, did you buy it back in the 90s?

9 hours ago, VF8000G said:

Nooo, Volks has been making FSS kits even before the movie.  And the GGI was released in the mid-late 90s, at least if my memory of that time is correct.  I had a friend tell me that they used to go for two-hundred dollars until they were reissued a decade later for like 5,000 yen, did you buy it back in the 90s?

I bought it like maybe a year ago?
Ment to say: they got a deal with licensing for injection kits when Kadokawa released the movie on DVD.
There was a flood of merchandise when the DVD was released.

13 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

I'm working on the Volks GGI currently.
I think they got a quick licence when the FSS movie came out.

It sucks but cost me 200+ for a $39 USD kit so I'm building it hook or krook!

I wouldn’t mind seeing pics of your progress. Maybe post some in the workbench section if you haven’t already 

On 4/26/2023 at 11:39 AM, oshanmacross said:

I bought it like maybe a year ago?
Ment to say: they got a deal with licensing for injection kits when Kadokawa released the movie on DVD.
There was a flood of merchandise when the DVD was released.

Man buddy you got ripped off hard considering the IMS was released at the same time....

And the DVD came out after the Volks GGI kit so not sure what you're talking about.

Edited by VF8000G

9 hours ago, VF8000G said:

Man buddy you got ripped off hard considering the IMS was released at the same time....

And the DVD came out after the Volks GGI kit so not sure what you're talking about.

DVD came out in 2003:
CD Japan Product page
Unless you are refering to the US release?

Scalemates timeline, known to be pretty accurate,Volks GGI:
Scalemates

GGI still fetches a premium price even in Japan:
Yahoo Japan auction.

5 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

DVD came out in 2003:
CD Japan Product page
Unless you are refering to the US release?

Scalemates timeline, known to be pretty accurate,Volks GGI:
Scalemates

GGI still fetches a premium price even in Japan:
Yahoo Japan auction.

If you checked the full history you would see the kit came out in the 90s.  The version you got was a reissue from the 2000s.

It's out of print so yeah it fetches high aftermarket prices, but buying it makes about as much sense as hunting down some crappy no-grade Gundam released decades ago when the MG variant gets released the same year.  Maybe if it has some personal connection to you, it would make sense, but I don't understand buying this over the IMS at all, especially at $200 dollars today.

3 minutes ago, VF8000G said:

If you checked the full history you would see the kit came out in the 90s.  The version you got was a reissue from the 2000s.

It's out of print so yeah it fetches high aftermarket prices, but buying it makes about as much sense as hunting down some crappy no-grade Gundam released decades ago when the MG variant gets released the same year.  Maybe if it has some personal connection to you, it would make sense, but I don't understand buying this over the IMS at all, especially at $200 dollars today.

I got the IMS too, and a few resin kits..
Dude, you are right about everything!!
I wish I knew you in High School, I would have paid you money just to hang out with you.

2 minutes ago, oshanmacross said:

I got the IMS too, and a few resin kits..
Dude, you are right about everything!!
I wish I knew you in High School, I would have paid you money just to hang out with you.

I can't read sarcasm on the internet but thanks if you are being genuine lol

I used to be soooo into FSS in the 2000s then just fell of my radar until I started seeing news about volumes coming out again and checking out what's up.

4 hours ago, VF8000G said:

I guess it might be like me trying to figure out why someone would want to build the old1/72 Regult kit from the 80’s when Hasegawa just put out a pretty great kit of it and for around twenty bucks. There are people that have a nostalgia for older kits and I love looking at the box art and such, personally I wouldn’t try building one these days. The newer IMS kits are really great as far as details and design, but I figure if someone wants to try their hands at an older version, I’ll let them have that challenge same with those that still love old Macross or Gundam kits and I definitely have to give respect to those that turn them into great builds 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

I guess it might be like me trying to figure out why someone would want to build the old1/72 Regult kit from the 80’s when Hasegawa just put out a pretty great kit of it and for around twenty bucks. There are people that have a nostalgia for older kits and I love looking at the box art and such, personally I wouldn’t try building one these days. The newer IMS kits are really great as far as details and design, but I figure if someone wants to try their hands at an older version, I’ll let them have that challenge same with those that still love old Macross or Gundam kits and I definitely have to give respect to those that turn them into great builds 

Yah, it makes sense after he mentioned that he already had the IMS.  My initial impression was that he was buying that model over the IMS, which made no sense to me.  Tried to toil with the old Wave Vatshu twenty years ago and it was such a dumpster fire that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, FSS plastic models have come a long way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Big s said:

Never say never. 

Nagano's been saying it for four decades now. 

47 minutes ago, oshanmacross said:

I just replaced the disintegrating hoses on my Popy L-Gaim like last year?
This is totally a must have for me.

Have you considered the Hi Metal R?  It's got some ugly chrome gold in the frame but reviews are glowing.

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Weren’t there some from kaiyodo a few years back? Maybe it was wave, but I’m pretty sure it was kaiyodo.

Kaiyodo did but they were more like PVC statues.  Kaiyodo also lost the FSS license after that disaster lol.  Kinda cements my point.  I think Wave tried to release some figures but Nagano personally cancelled them.  That recent Volks Gothicmade was the only FSS "toy" released and it's an ultra-boutique item that cost $1000 and TBH I don't really even consider it FSS.

Either way Nagano ain't letting outsider scum like Sentinel and Bandai touch his baby.

Edited by VF8000G

1 hour ago, VF8000G said:

Kaiyodo did but they were more like PVC statues.  Kaiyodo also lost the FSS license after that disaster lol.  Kinda cements my point.  I think Wave tried to release some figures but Nagano personally cancelled them.  That recent Volks Gothicmade was the only FSS "toy" released and it's an ultra-boutique item that cost $1000 and TBH I don't really even consider it FSS.

Either way Nagano ain't letting outsider scum like Sentinel and Bandai touch his baby.

If he’s allowed it once, then there’s a chance and he’s allowed it twice, then there’s more of a chance. Personally I’m more likely to buy a kit than a toy anyway, but I know that there are quite a few that feel like the kits are a bit much and would prefer a toy

14 minutes ago, Big s said:

If he’s allowed it once, then there’s a chance and he’s allowed it twice, then there’s more of a chance. Personally I’m more likely to buy a kit than a toy anyway, but I know that there are quite a few that feel like the kits are a bit much and would prefer a toy

IDK if yanking the entire FSS license wholesale from a company for making display figures followed by axing another company's attempts before they were even released is "allowing it" man... I would love a big gokin Mortar Head more than anyone in the world but we got to be realistic about how this franchise is run.  It isn't for casuals, that's for sure.  Nagano is the type of person to hoard a movie in a theater in Japan and never release it on media, he will never care what his fans want.  And that's why there aren't many of them outside of Japan.

Mamoru Nagano makes Harmony Gold look like Santa Claus.

Edited by VF8000G

• 2 months later...