Five Star Stories Reboot

CrusherJ

On 10/29/2020 at 12:21 PM, electric indigo said:

It's a new sculpt, the WSC proportions are quite different:

13916472792_4737c8013c_o.jpg

You're right. At a glance it looks almost the same, but there are some subtle differences in proportions and details. I still think the WSC version is the more elegant of the two. We'll have to wait and see how big this one is, but the price is fair, considering where plastic and resin kit prices have gone in the last 25 years.

2 hours ago, captain america said:

Video footage of the built model of the IMS Knight of Gold. 

I like it.  It has the right presence, for lack of a better term.  The details look sharp, for a 1/100 scale kit, much better than the old Wave kits.  I am hoping this will be generally available.

Kind of sad I missed out on a Volks Mighty Series set on Mandarake.  I've been eying these kits for years but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.  Hopefully it went to a good home where someone will actually build the kits.

1 hour ago, Darth Mingus said:

I like it.  It has the right presence, for lack of a better term.  The details look sharp, for a 1/100 scale kit, much better than the old Wave kits.  I am hoping this will be generally available.

I have the resin kit, and just as with the LED Mirage, there are some elements that are slightly better on the IMS kit. Of course the resin offering, being first and hand-made, is a pure work-of-art. The Mighty series kits are well done, but I never cared for the designs all that much. I also seem to remember them being a bit on the short side, but maybe that's just me.

Volks also seemingly has an Auge in the IMS pipeline. Maybe next year.

Meanwhile...

This might just be the cranky old perfectionist in me, but every time I see someone finishing the KoG without using proper gold, I'm irked.

Edited by captain america

4 hours ago, captain america said:

his might just be the cranky old perfectionist in me, but every time I see someone finishing the KoG without using proper gold, I'm irked.

Obviously, 24-karat would be preferable, but 18k gold is nothing to scoff at... :p

But seriously, how does this guy have the kit already?  I can't even find a pre-order link. :unsure:

19 minutes ago, tekering said:

But seriously, how does this guy have the kit already?  I can't even find a pre-order link. :unsure:

I think he mentioned he was offered the kit directly from Volks because he built some of the other IMS kits.  Wish I can get on the IMS preview program.

Gold has always been tricky.  I like the finish Bandai did on the updated Hyaki Shiki, which was a flat dull gold.  With the Knight of Gold, it is tricky to get the right finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've never seen Five Star Stories or L-Gaim, but I've always found the mecha designs  from those series to be some of the most visually appealing within the genre. I've always been particularly fascinated by the Jagd Mirage for all the intricate structures and the fragile look of it. I wouldn't doubt that Hideaki Anno took some notes from this and similar Mortar Heads when designing the Evas.  

圖片 1 - (B_711)1/220 The Five Star Stories Jagd mirage RESIN KIT

On 10/29/2021 at 9:26 AM, electric indigo said:

V-Siren (Emperor Lader early type).

This is the first Five Star Stories Mortar Headd I finished after a decade, these kits really put your endurance on a test.

I hope to have better light tomorrow and shoot some additional pics.

51638602981_e174013da1_c.jpg 51637773532_2422029ae6_c.jpg

Beautiful work, Electric Indigo. Gorgeous kit built gorgeously. 

A few new items in the FFS space:

Volks IMS Auge Arsculs is up for pre-order: https://volksusastore.com/webstores/hobby/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=13021

Pre-release preview of the kit: 

On the resin side of the house, pre-orders are open for the GTM SSI Kubalkan Gatexion Mark 3 "Ritter Jet" Haretsu no Ningyou (that is a mouthful) from our Treasure.

http://ourtreasure.co.jp/製品一覧/ゲートシオンマーク3 リッタージェット・破烈/?fbclid=IwAR2Iqt4LUdFkW585cR_txA3cIqPbdZq4EotxCZDWT9ODj-M7degz4MzFf_E

I also found this great picture of the GTM versions of the classic FSS mortar headds:

Gothicmade_Model_kits.jpg.b2cc0337c6a8091b906785698f0d5798.jpg

Edited by Darth Mingus
added link

• 1 month later...

The crash is part of a design series that blends a lot of zeta designs with ffs. If I remember correctly they were the same designer. A few years back in resin form there was a similar idea with the O dragons heaven and samurai 7 since those were very similar

This is the one from the series that caught my eye, given the similarities to FSS designs.  It is called the Gundam Noise Canceller, from the 5th episode of the Gundam Build Divers GIMM & Ball's World Challenge spin-off light novel.  Unfortunately, P-Bandai has not announced this kit yet, but it has been licensed:

gundam-astray-gbn+%25281%2529.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...