Super Robot Wars Z 2

sdf2501

So Banpresto's making a sequel to the Super Robot Wars Z for the Playstation 2, but it'll be debuting on the PSP this time and in *two* parts.

The first part is entitled Super Robot Wars Z 2: Hakai-Hen (translation: World Breaking)

The new series that will be appearing in this game:

Armored Trooper Votoms

Armored Trooper Votoms: The Last Red Shoulder

Armored Trooper Votoms: Red Shoulder Document - Roots of Treachery

Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (1st Season)

Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z-Hen

Chikyuu Bouei Kigyou Dai-Guard

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Guren-hen

Macross Frontier ~Itsuwari no Utahime~

Eureka Seven - good night, sleep tight, young lovers -

Along with those that appeared in the previous game. More details here.

Famitsu is also streaming a promotional video for the first game as well.

This line up is looking pretty good, but I still miss the classic Macross series. I'll be picking this one up for sure.

None of our Japan or HK members got this yet?

Wanna hear a review from a Macross fan's perspective.

Graham

This particular game doesn't come out until April 14, which is probably why no one's commented much. The game itself should be easy enough to play; many people with no knowledge of Japanese can navigate the menus with the help of a menu translation guide, or those with basic katakana knowledge can navigate most of the menus. The game mechanics are easy to grasp as it's no different than many turn-based tactical strategy games (ex. Final Fantasy Tactics). The only thing you miss out on is most of the story, although if you've seen some or many of the series involved, it's fairly easy to follow.

I only have basic Katakana knowledge and maybe learned only 200 or so Kanji in University, but I've been able to enjoy the other games regardless. For me, the appeal is in being able to play with so many robots from different series together in different scenarios, and the turn-based strategic nature of the game allows me to take my time and savor the game. Plus, with the games that have squadron support (ex. Super Robot Wars Alpha 3) I think it's cool that you can put an EVA and a few Valkyries in a squad, and then make the Valkyries throw support cover fire while the EVA goes in with its main attack. Of course, YMMV in terms of how you enjoy the game.