Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Custom/Detailing by Kye

kyekye

Thanks everyone for following this thread and leaving kind comments. I really enjoyed the process of working on this one. laugh.gif

I started around early January and took me about 2 1/2 month to finish it up ph34r.gifwacko.gif

Lastly, I ordered a plexiglass display case for this one - cost me about $70!!

I'll conclude it with a bunch of 1920 X 1080 HD resolution wallpapers (some new, some cleaned up old ones, some raw images, some phtoshop-ed) ph34r.gif ~~ Please enjoy~~ ph34r.gif

post-6978-0-24294100-1300531511_thumb.jpg post-6978-0-61603400-1300531538_thumb.jpg I might add some more pictures later when I get more familiar with my wife's camera.. I forgot to turn on the city light when took these photos. :ohmy:

I am loving the composites. If you've seen my work you would understand how much.

BRAVO! B))

Thanks everyone for following this thread and leaving kind comments. I really enjoyed the process of working on this one. laugh.gif

I started around early January and took me about 2 1/2 month to finish it up ph34r.gifwacko.gif

Lastly, I ordered a plexiglass display case for this one - cost me about $70!!

I'll conclude it with a bunch of 1920 X 1080 HD resolution wallpapers (some new, some cleaned up old ones, some raw images, some phtoshop-ed) ph34r.gif ~~ Please enjoy~~ ph34r.gif

post-6978-0-24294100-1300531511_thumb.jpg post-6978-0-61603400-1300531538_thumb.jpg post-6978-0-78423400-1300531560_thumb.jpg post-6978-0-70234100-1300531579_thumb.jpg

[i might add some more pictures later when I get more familiar with my wife's camera.. I forgot to turn on the city light when took these photos. :ohmy:

I particularly like how you used a photograph to simulate the city. From the top you can't tell - Brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Amazing, God has blessed you with some mad skills man.

I think it's so funny that I have a 3k kit and believe I can do something super special with it, but in comparison to the skill level on display here I'm truly afraid to attack it (my own kit). I have purchased leds, but thats it. Just WOW.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That #$%@ing rocks man! You sir, have some serious airbrushing skills. I absolutely love the simulated panelling detail that you've applied to the hull. It really looks like the hull was constructed of individual plates.

How many colors did you use for the hull to create that effect and how did you control the overspray with details so small?

Absolutely wild.

• 2 months later...

Urrrgggg.. I hate moving.. So many stuff require careful packaging/boxing.

SDF-1 is now back in the original box (slightly modified).

Did I say I hate moving?

9349481204_a35ebf3b3d_h.jpg

Also now I realized how Yamato boxes are bigger than it should be. (compare to Bandai boxes)

9349480938_857d6735fb_c.jpg

And Yes. I hate moving......Aaaarrrggggg!!!

I don't have any of my boxes anymore. Moving will be a real trip for me if/when it happens.

Damn if I knew you were getting rid of them I would've drove down to Albuquerque to take them off your hands.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Simply epic.....epic......eepiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When i grow old I wanna be like u! ( and i have 35 :D) hahaha No really....airbrushing...LED, washing..........omg..light years of techniques....I am a child at your side. I hope some day ill have that technique level. Simple a master piece..unique. Im a Robotech fan.....this is truly an inspiration and shows how human imagination..creativity..patience and determination can make dreams come true. This was in your head...now is a reality...

thank you...for inspire others like me :)

Edited by Rodex

• 1 month later...

Anyone here that could help me get a spare part? I just found out that Yamato no longer exist and it is hard to find parts for this particular model. I just need the double cannon that goes in the shoulder of the SDF1. Any help or advice and i will be grateful. I'm willing to pay. Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Kye,

Would there be any way for me to open up the city to add lights without damaging the original paint?

I have added hundreds of micro labels, detailed and coated my 1/3000.

But I am concerned about trying to open this without your instructions.

I don't want to have to repaint it since I will probably ruin this expensive toy.

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2011 at 1:37 PM, kyekye said:

I was wondering about the other spacecraft sizes, so I did some searching and made a quick chart last night. I didn't show Star trek or Star Wars ships since some of them are ridiculously huge!

And apparently I had some of the ships in similar scale!! :lol:

I thought the Aliens Sulaco and spaceship Yamato was much bigger. and I didn't know how big the Enterprise was!! :ph34r:

Also, the display case came in yesterday. Here are quick test shots.

post-6978-0-54215400-1301077492_thumb.jpg post-6978-0-38957700-1301077506_thumb.jpg

And this is how it's gonna be for a while :ph34r:

post-6978-0-96578000-1301077525_thumb.jpg

Lastly, here are the Background images I made for some of the photo-shoots and wallpapers earlier. (They are pretty big - 4560X3120, so re-size them for your print out if you want to use them)

Anyone know what display case this is? 

• 9 months later...
On 3/17/2011 at 2:50 PM, kyekye said:

Thanks Everyone for kind comments :lol:

Taking picture is harder and more time consuming than I thought! Many details I added just disappear when it's out of focus.. :ph34r: but it brings out the parts I overlooked when i was working on it... :ph34r::o

My friend told me to stop messing around with Photoshop and post raw pics..So here are some from last night :ph34r:

ARMD-1 with Valkyries and Launch signal

post-6978-0-20313300-1300390866_thumb.jpg

And.. what's where - since it's kinda blended in now :ph34r:

5535001427_05d6dd1cef.jpg

From different angle

post-6978-0-45621800-1300390887_thumb.jpg

City Block with different states

post-6978-0-58047600-1300390901_thumb.jpg

I love your work.  Thanks for sharing all the details. 

I don;t have your amazing skillset, but I'm hoping to add a simple Blue LED light into the same area you did to try and get a lighting affect.

Something like this (if it will fit):  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LZUX07O/?coliid=I1KKVXZJ4N7659&colid=1KDLA1FIL2ETU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

or this maybe:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UL543R0/?coliid=I4PFAM5TS2UWU&colid=1KDLA1FIL2ETU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks for the inspiration!

10 hours ago, spacemanspiff said:

I love your work.  Thanks for sharing all the details. 

I don;t have your amazing skillset, but I'm hoping to add a simple Blue LED light into the same area you did to try and get a lighting affect.

Something like this (if it will fit):  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LZUX07O/?coliid=I1KKVXZJ4N7659&colid=1KDLA1FIL2ETU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

or this maybe:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UL543R0/?coliid=I4PFAM5TS2UWU&colid=1KDLA1FIL2ETU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the comment.

I don't remember the exact dimension of inside city block, but the first one might just work. the second one looks bigger/blockier.

You still gotta figure out how to place it in the city.

Have fun and good luck with your project!