Since the original thread was locked down, I started a new one. Just keep the discussions clean - no racial or political talk, please!

As many of you know, Machete came out on DVD and Blu-ray on January 4. And to celebrate the release, Danny Trejo goes Brisk and washes his hands. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by areaseven

Just when you think you've seen it all, this film busts out some of the most awesome, over-the-top violent bits I have ever seen.

Absolutely loved it!!

Machete Kills cannot come out fast enough!!

. . . And then I washed my hands!

The brisk ad is way better than the movie.

I agree. Its a good film but the fake trailer promised something much more over the top and silly than what was actually delivered. With a film like this then i just wanted none stop over the top ass kicking like what RR did with Desperado and Dusk til Dawn.

Good film, could have been a lot better.

I agree. Its a good film but the fake trailer promised something much more over the top and silly than what was actually delivered. With a film like this then i just wanted none stop over the top ass kicking like what RR did with Desperado and Dusk til Dawn.

Good film, could have been a lot better.

It was also supposed to look like a weird 80's action movie... Which it never turned out to be.

Oh come on now, how can you hate on this movie? It's the Meixcan "Black Dynamite."

Black Dynamite was a parody/tribute to black cinema in the early 70's.. You can't just swap out the ERA and the RACE and say its the same movie. Following your line of logic, we could say Cheech and Chong, is just the Mexican "Roots."

Black Dynamite was a parody/tribute to black cinema in the early 70's.. You can't just swap out the ERA and the RACE and say its the same movie. Following your line of logic, we could say Cheech and Chong, is just the Mexican "Roots."

"Black Dynamite" and "Machete" are parodies of exploitation films, so I think one couldn't be faulted for coming to the conclusion that they are essentially the same type of movie.

"Black Dynamite" and "Machete" are parodies of exploitation films, so I think one couldn't be faulted for coming to the conclusion that they are essentially the same type of movie.

There is no such thing as a mexican exploitation film, and you can't parody a non-existant film.

Edited by Agent ONE

That's kinda the point. It's creating a faux genre that never existed but very well could have.

Was that the point? I thought it was just modern day whining about racism. (I do think racism is still a problem in our society, its beaten to death every day over the news or wherever else. I don't need another movie about it.) Black exploitation movies were really the first to show this kind of thing, before in media, the black side wasn't really shown. I think the elements of showing racism in cinema have degenerated to just bitching. Look at the Mac, or Foxy Brown... Powerful stories about oppression and success despite. Now look at movies like White Chicks or Friday... What the hell went wrong? These films are garbage. Machete, was not horrible, just the comparison irritates me.

I know what you mean, but they weren't funny or over the top like the black exploitation films.

You obviously haven't watched enough of them.

I do think racism is still a problem in our society, its beaten to death every day over the news or wherever else. I don't need another movie about it.

Sorry, but I think this is a horrible attitude to have.

Machete, was not horrible, just the comparison irritates me.

I still don't understand why. The comparison is apt.

Wait, you didn't like White Chicks either? Me thinks you're looking at these movies with a bit too serious an eye.

I think Friday, and White Chicks are degrading to minorities.

LOL! "...and then I washed my hands." Fun-ny.

I agree with Agent ONE: White Chicks was awful. Couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of it. Damon and Keenon were/are pretty damned funny. (even 20+ years! later, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka is STILL a funny a$$ send-up on blacksploitation films) Marlon and Shawn have to rely on too much vulgarity/potty humor. Not funny.

Soul Plane. Now THAT was damned degrading. Makes me ashamed to even remember absorbing any of it before I could change channels...

LOL! "...and then I washed my hands." Fun-ny.

I agree with Agent ONE: White Chicks was awful. Couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of it. Damon and Keenon were/are pretty damned funny. (even 20+ years! later, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka is STILL a funny a$$ send-up on blacksploitation films) Marlon and Shawn have to rely on too much vulgarity/potty humor. Not funny.

Soul Plane. Now THAT was damned degrading. Makes me ashamed to even remember absorbing any of it before I could change channels...

Exactly.

I always found exploitation films in general to be degrading. Take blaxploitation films for example: blacks in those films were either drug dealers, gangsters, or pimps.

They start out that way, but you are missing the message:

The Mack - started out as a pimp, but realized the horrors of the pimping world and ultimately escapes with his dignity only. Noting that pimping and prostitution are largely a black issue.

Foxy Brown - Drug dealing brother who dies, then Foxy goes off on a revenge rampage against those who exploit black people with drugs

Suprefly - Drug dealer that wants out, ends up getting revenge on the white guys that keep him in it. Theme of the movie is that drugs are ruining the black community.

Shaft - Cop that works twice as hard for the black people.

Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song - Pimp that has white cops on the take, but escapes them and the industry driving the point that black women are being exploited.

Coffy - Girl gets revenge on those who sell drugs to black kids.

Black Belt Jones - Similar to shaft, guy was cleaning up society by killing mobsters that sell drugs to blacks.

Not a single one of these movies are degrading. They show exploitation of black people, however how the character in each movie perseveres against this white oppression is the punchline. An extremely positive message. I see newer movies like Friday, the Barbershop, and White Chicks as degrading.

As a minority, I disagree (well, about White Chick's anyway). Next thing you know, you'll be saying Blazing Saddles was degrading.

Now Blazing Saddles is a classic, I still love that movie (so many of those cast members are gone now. :( ). The only shameful thing about that one is that its social commentary is STILL so relevant today, nearly 40 YEARS on. Damned funny movie.

I'm just coming back to this thread so's I can click on that little Machete Brisk movie. Only downside is: now I don't feel like I need to see the actual movie all that much. I pretty much got the gist of it with that funny little claymation. :p

--"Never mind that sh*t. Here comes Mongo!"

As a minority, I disagree (well, about White Chick's anyway). Next thing you know, you'll be saying Blazing Saddles was degrading.

I am talking about racial minorities, not sexual-orientation minorities. Not interchangeable at all.

On a related note, I hope Soul Plane II: The Blackjacking becomes a real summer blockbuster:

:lol:

That Aaron McGruder is ruthless. Love the Boondocks.

--"Damn! Now are you yellin' at me, or shi**in' at me?!" :p

ed: there's an Ozzy Osbourne Brisk story up now. :D

--"And then I wash my hands!" :D That phrase is gonna go viral, I just know it. It'll be like the second coming of cowbell...

Edited by reddsun1

I'm glad Machete is being a good role model and reminding everyone on the importance of washing your hands! ... btw awesome movie, if you get offended you're probably taking concepts like nurses firing uzi's too seriously.

My sentiments exactly.

Look, I realize there's some political subtext/message in the film. But personally, it didn't detract me from enjoying the rest of the film. I mean seriously, how can you not enjoy a film where the hero eviscerates a bad guy, pulls said bad guy's small intestine out, and then uses that small intestine as a rope to swing down to the level below?

Everything about this movie is so over the top that you just gotta throw your hands up in the air and just enjoy the ride.

Still no domestic release of the DVD here. We didn't get a theatrical release either.

Will have to order from Amazon.

Graham

I don't think any Asian country (except maybe Japan) got a theatrical release at all, but hopefully, the DVD will hit Asian markets in a month or two.

And then I wash my hands...