Favorite VF pilot? (not necessarily the best)

What is your favorite VF pilot? (not necessarily the best)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your fav?

• Hikaru Ichijo
    • Maximilian Jenius
    • Roy Fokker
    • Hayao Kakizaki
    • Milia Fallyna-Jenius
    • Guld Bowman
    • Isamu Dyson
    • Gamlin Kizaki
    • Kinryu/ Docker
    • Nekki Basara
    • Mylene Jenius/Ray Lovelock/ Liza Hoyly
    • Nora Polyansky/D.D. Ivanov
    • Shin Kudo
    • Luca Angeloni
    • Ozma Lee
    • Mikhail Buran
    • Alto Saotome
    • Brera Sterne
    • Nexx Gilbert/ Sylvie Gena/ Hibiki Kanzaki/ Feff
    • Miscellaneous (Physica, Dick, Mory, Pixie Squadron, Stephan, Graham, Zolan Forces, Chlore, Video Game pilots, Klan Klan/ Canaria Berstein, Bobby M., Grace, etc)

Maybe the battle area is huge that they simply flying around through different time zones? especially the fight between guld and X-9, they even reached the stratosphere.

But then again before the end credit it was sunrise, if it started from sunset, then they were fighting for almost like, 10-12 hours?

They deserve the title for the most bad-ass pilots ever if it's true.

That's the impression I got, although I'll grant that having the sunrise come as soon as the threat was gone was probably more of a visual flourish than an accurate representation of how long it took them to finish off Sharon.

Roy for me. Awesome flawed character. Went out in a blaze of glory in two different ways: an actual blaze of glory and playing guitar while bleeding to death. And it seems he totally has women figured out. I think we can all learn a lot from Roy on how to live our lives. :)

Roy is followed closely by Ozma (doesn't tolerate teenage nonsense) and Max.

I dont think Macross Plus is a story of heroes at all. The main charcters might be good pilots but personality wise they are a collection of irresponsible arseholes.

Isamu cant even just follow Guld in a chaser plane without trying to ruin his test by showing off.

Guld tries to kill Isamu on a couple of occasions during tests.

Both of them have a dogfight through Macross city using civilian housing as cover.

They are definitley great characters but heroes ? no way.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. But that's not how I see it. The reason Isamu can't resist showing Guld up in a chaser plane is not because Isamu is simply an "irresponsible arsehole", it's to convey how deeply routed and competitive the rivalry between Isamu and Guld is. The same can be said for all the reckless things Guld did. Isamu and Guld are both equally driven to win...at whatever the game is. It's all encompassing.

I guess calling them irresponsible is not inaccurate. They are. But I don't like how simple you paint their picture. Their relationship is more complicated than just being "two irresponsible arseholes" that do irresponsible things simply because they are irresponsible people.

As for being heroes...They do save Myung in the end. Along with the rest of Macross city from falling under the hypnotic trance of a self preservation driven A.I. gone amuck.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. But that's not how I see it. The reason Isamu can't resist showing Guld up in a chaser plane is not because Isamu is simply an "irresponsible arsehole", it's to convey how deeply routed and competitive the rivalry between Isamu and Guld is. The same can be said for all the reckless things Guld did. Isamu and Guld are both equally driven to win...at whatever the game is. It's all encompassing.

I guess calling them irresponsible is not inaccurate. They are. But I don't like how simple you paint their picture. Their relationship is more complicated than just being "two irresponsible arseholes" that do irresponsible things simply because they are irresponsible people.

As for being heroes...They do save Myung in the end. Along with the rest of Macross city from falling under the hypnotic trance of a self preservation driven A.I. gone amuck.

Firstly they do not set out to save Myung so there is nothing heroic about it. Isamu steals a prototype fighter to blow up the X-9 because the idea of it pisses him off - the fact that once he got there the X-9 was under the control of an "A.I. gone amuck" is irrelevant since his intention was to destroy it anyway.

He only decides to save Myung after blowing up a load of orbital defence satellites and his dogfight with Guld - again these are not things he does to get to Myung and save her, he does them anyway and then saves Myung as an encore.

Guld isnt any better with his covering up of a dangerous flaw in the YF-21's controls system (i'm sure he planned to have that little kink ironed out before mass production) and his dubious intentions when he loads a test weapon with live ammo.

Clearly the characters are portrayed this way in order to convey the depth of their rivalry and it would be a dull OAV if they acted normally and responsibly. However we only see what we see and if you look at it objectively then Isamu and Guld are both irresponsible, bordering on criminal.

Im not trying to insinuate that they are like Beavis and Butthead flying planes with their weiners going "hu huh huh" but regardless of their motivation what they do is wrong and for selfish, immature reasons. For that reason they are definitely not heroes.

Still my two favourite characters though :)

Edited by Nicaragua

Im not trying to insinuate that they are like Beavis and Butthead flying planes with their weiners going "hu huh huh" but regardless of their motivation what they do is wrong and for selfish, immature reasons. For that reason they are definitely not heroes.

Thank you!!!! My first and best laugh of the day :lol:

Firstly they do not set out to save Myung so there is nothing heroic about it.

It's difficult to set out to save someone when you don't even know they're in danger. But as soon as they knew Myung was in danger they decided to work together and go to her rescue. Isamu risked his life against the Macross, and Guld martyred himself to take out the X-9 so Isamu could fulfill his task without the Ghost interfering. Risking your life, (and sacrificing it in Guld's case), to save the lives of others are heroic traits.

Guld wasn't sacrificing his life just to beat the X-9 and selfishly prove that human pilots were superior to machines. He was sacrificing his life because if he bugged out, Isamu would be the Ghost's next target, and Myung would have nobody left to save her.

Mod Warning

This thread, as I've read it, is suppose to be about your favorite VF pilot, NOT about what happened between Myung, Guld, and Isamu. In fact, there's a thread about that. If you can't keep it in its respective threads, then I will start closing threads.

It's difficult to set out to save someone when you don't even know they're in danger. But as soon as they knew Myung was in danger they decided to work together and go to her rescue. Isamu risked his life against the Macross, and Guld martyred himself to take out the X-9 so Isamu could fulfill his task without the Ghost interfering. Risking your life, (and sacrificing it in Guld's case), to save the lives of others are heroic traits.

Guld wasn't sacrificing his life just to beat the X-9 and selfishly prove that human pilots were superior to machines. He was sacrificing his life because if he bugged out, Isamu would be the Ghost's next target, and Myung would have nobody left to save her.

Isamu risks his life every few minutes throughout Macross Plus - thats who he is. Sharon Apple knows this (via Myung) and so is fighting him to give him what he wants. He is just doing what is in his nature, he wants to risk his life so its hardly some big noble effort for him.

Guld is looking to repent for his past in that action. Granted him making that sacrifice is quite selfless but it dosnt give him a clean slate for all his past murderous douchebaggery or make him a nominee for hero of the year.

Doing the right thing once after doing the wrong thing A LOT dosnt make you a hero.

jeez, all this usage of the word "hero" is reminding me of Snow from FF13...and he was a right tit.

Mod Warning

This thread, as I've read it, is suppose to be about your favorite VF pilot, NOT about what happened between Myung, Guld, and Isamu. In fact, there's a thread about that. If you can't keep it in its respective threads, then I will start closing threads.

Apologies, i will leave it there.

Isamu likes to blow things up. I think we all like to blow things up. The other pilots do it on orders, but Dyson does it because it gives him teh lulz.

:lol:

That, and you gotta admire his love of flying that has such a recklessness to it-shows how much he really enjoys his talent. And besides, he nailed a hot blond with big boobs and freckles-that makes him an instant winner right there...

Max was clearly not a pushover outside of the pilots' seat, he handled himself quite well in a brawl in the show along with Kyle... Kaifun? Only seen it in Robotech, never seen pure Macross original series so forgive my ignorance.

The same applies to Gamlin, outside of his Valk he's still got some awesome skills. He single-handedly defeated a building full of terrorists with a tranquilizer rifle, making him something of a cross between Bruce Willis and Solid Snake :D

Max was clearly not a pushover outside of the pilots' seat, he handled himself quite well in a brawl in the show along with Kyle... Kaifun? Only seen it in Robotech, never seen pure Macross original series so forgive my ignorance.

The same applies to Gamlin, outside of his Valk he's still got some awesome skills. He single-handedly defeated a building full of terrorists with a tranquilizer rifle, making him something of a cross between Bruce Willis and Solid Snake :D

I pretty much clapped out loud when Gamlin landed that haymaker onto Colonel Barton's face. That ass-master deserved it.

I misspoke. I meant with relationships they get walked all over. I agree with you, both seem to be quite competent in other martial areas.

Anyone else think Max looks like John Lennon with blue hair?

post-13425-129521325254_thumb.jpg

post-13425-129521326277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

Hey, Alto got a vote!

Didn't want to tell us why you like him?

I think I'd vote Alto as my favourite with Ozma a close second. Ozma is the better pilot and the better man, but I can relate to Alto a bit more, and being a young'n myself, Frontier is the only series I watched as it was airing so I feel a bit more affinity for those characters. Max was my favourite when I was younger though, but a lot of that had to do with his colour being blue lol

Not a very good explanation I guess tho. I'll add that his skills throughout the series impressed me and I enjoyed watching him develop as a pilot. He gained a lot of respect from me for being able to put almost evenly match Brera who had the arguably superior VF and all the advantages of being a cyborg. Plus his fight to rescue Ranka when he first used the Armored pack was awesome, the whole emptying the missiles then ejecting the armor piece by piece (as illogical as it was) was pretty badass.

I also like his attitude of always trying to take some kind of action even if he has no idea if its the right course or not he was always the type to do something. And watching the interplay between him and Sheryl was a pleasure.

I could relate to him as being a kid with multiple interests who was still growing and trying to figure himself out. I guess probably my only problem with him would be how oblivious he was most of the time lol

The biggest difference between Macross Max and Robotech Max, is that Macross Max is almost as much as a ladies' man as Roy is. Plus, Macross Max had a much cooler voice than his Robotech counterpart.

Hey! Cam Clarke is a legend amongst voice actors. It's blasphemy to put down his voice-over work... even if it was on Robotech!

Not a very good explanation I guess tho. I'll add that his skills throughout the series impressed me and I enjoyed watching him develop as a pilot. He gained a lot of respect from me for being able to put almost evenly match Brera who had the arguably superior VF and all the advantages of being a cyborg. Plus his fight to rescue Ranka when he first used the Armored pack was awesome, the whole emptying the missiles then ejecting the armor piece by piece (as illogical as it was) was pretty badass.

I also like his attitude of always trying to take some kind of action even if he has no idea if its the right course or not he was always the type to do something. And watching the interplay between him and Sheryl was a pleasure.

I could relate to him as being a kid with multiple interests who was still growing and trying to figure himself out. I guess probably my only problem with him would be how oblivious he was most of the time lol

true, he is a good character. not a jerk most of the time like hikaru.

Great explanation! Forgot about your earlier post but I am glad you went into more detail, it makes me like him more.

Damn. I am torn between Roy and Max.

Roy is the definition of a man. A senpai. A Skull leader.

Max is a genius who doesn't get old and married an alien chick (and managed to get rid of her too). He is that kind of feminie-designed character who doesn't look sissy.

Maybe I should vote for Sheryl. :p I would not buy as many figures for Roy and Max as for Sheryl.

I would say its because Ozma is just Roy 2.0 re-skinned for Macross Frontier. Its pretty much the same character so if someone likes the Roy/Ozma character then they are more likely to gravitate towards Roy since he is better fleshed out and has more nostalgia value.

I totally agree. That's why while I like Ozma, I don't even consider casting my vote for him. He is meant to be a Roy-clone, and a good one he is.

On the other hand, while Michael and Klan are counterparts of Max and Millia, this couple have developed differently enough to be on their own.

Edited by ff95gj

I didn't vote because I can't decide, but I did consider voting for Alto as well. He may not be a 'man's man', but I think he's a pretty good character, especially today where most mecha protagonists are whiny kids who are reluctant to get into the cockpit for one reason or another. Alto wanted nothing more than to fly, bomb stuff, shoot people down. And he was good at takin care of business. Sometimes he flew off the handle and got into trouble, but considering the capabilities of the VF-25, it was these situations where he really shined. Pilots today, and even in older Macross, have to be disciplined, clear headed, and patient. But the VF-25, and it's ISC and insane power, make it a platform that is capable of 'walking the razor's edge' so to speak. Alto's passionate style of flying brought out the full potential, and allowed him to stand head and shoulders above the competition.

So, basically, as far as current mecha protagonists go, Alto is a diamond in the rough. He manages to be a badass while still carrying himself with the grace of a woman :lol: