Favorite VF pilot? (not necessarily the best)

What is your favorite VF pilot? (not necessarily the best)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your fav?

• Hikaru Ichijo
    • Maximilian Jenius
    • Roy Fokker
    • Hayao Kakizaki
    • Milia Fallyna-Jenius
    • Guld Bowman
    • Isamu Dyson
    • Gamlin Kizaki
    • Kinryu/ Docker
    • Nekki Basara
    • Mylene Jenius/Ray Lovelock/ Liza Hoyly
    • Nora Polyansky/D.D. Ivanov
    • Shin Kudo
    • Luca Angeloni
    • Ozma Lee
    • Mikhail Buran
    • Alto Saotome
    • Brera Sterne
    • Nexx Gilbert/ Sylvie Gena/ Hibiki Kanzaki/ Feff
    • Miscellaneous (Physica, Dick, Mory, Pixie Squadron, Stephan, Graham, Zolan Forces, Chlore, Video Game pilots, Klan Klan/ Canaria Berstein, Bobby M., Grace, etc)

Great pic of Sylvie. Always thought her freckles were so cute. She'd be my second choice....I voted for Hikaru. Flying was his life prior to Space War 1 and his skills earned him many merits. I can only imagine the incredible achievements he did with the Lightning...oh and Misa was a great take home prize too ^_^

Isamu, for all the reasons already spoken for... why wasn't the 2 lead pilots from MII:LA not on the list? oh NM, they are there, sorry...

Edited by pensives_wetness

WTF, Isamu is beating out Roy in popularity??? What planet am I on? Isamu's an alrite guy, but more popular that Roy? Roy's awesome dead or alive! We should rename Christmas to Roymas, hell, I'd decorate a tree and wrap presents on Roymas.

WTF, Isamu is beating out Roy in popularity???

Not only that, but at this point it is not even close, he is beating him by 2.5X as many votes...Incredible!

Still no votes for Alto and Ozma at this time...I am actually a little surprised, especially since there are people on these forums who came here only through Frontier.

I celebrate Roymas by getting drunk and trying to touch my wife inappropriately in front of other people...classy! :lol:

Yeah, I'm also surprised that Ozma didn't get any votes yet. After Gamlin, he's my second favorite pilot.

Graham

I would say its because Ozma is just Roy 2.0 re-skinned for Macross Frontier. Its pretty much the same character so if someone likes the Roy/Ozma character then they are more likely to gravitate towards Roy since he is better fleshed out and has more nostalgia value.

I would say its because Ozma is just Roy 2.0 re-skinned for Macross Frontier. Its pretty much the same character so if someone likes the Roy/Ozma character then they are more likely to gravitate towards Roy since he is better fleshed out and has more nostalgia value.

Are you sure? I really don't see Roy leaving a girlfriend to raise a kid all by himself, or shoot Hikaru (as Ozma did with Alto). Or surviving through the end of a TV series :p

Edited by nexxstrait

Are you sure? I really don't see Roy leaving a girlfriend to raise a kid all by himself, or shoot Hikaru (as Ozma did with Alto). Or surviving through the end of a TV series :p

Those are just things that the character did rather than definitions of the actual character.

Roy survived Macross Zero BTW.

Basara because he knew missiles weren't powerful enough to stop the Protodeviln. He gambaru'ed no matter what and saved everyone. He cared about Sivil and took all that time to try and revive her. The other members of Fire Bomber saw that in him and he made them want to be a part of it.

Who's Roy Fokker? :p

Edited by Legioss

Just because people aren't voting for Ozma doesn't mean that they're not liking him. I love Ozma's character. Total BAMF, but still has no problems admitting his feelings for Cathy at the most "awesomest" time. In the immortal words of Captain Zap Brannigan, "He's a man's man's man."

I just like Isamu more because I share a lot of his personality quirks... and the fact that he's just a regular ass-kicker in the pilot's seat doesn't hurt.

Just because people aren't voting for Ozma doesn't mean that they're not liking him. I love Ozma's character.

I also like Ozma's character, definitely my favorite Mac Frontier pilot with Luca being my least...

Anyone else notice in Frontier how Bobby's love for Ozma is almost like a twist/parallel on the whole Roy/Claudia thing?

I voted Ozma, because he needed love, too, but Isamu's my favorite pilot. He flies for himself, and for the thrill of it, and isn't afraid to put his life on the line to do what he feels is right. He doesn't submit to any chain of command, and his whole time flying in Macross Plus is spent, trying to constantly outdo himself, and everyone else. He wears his heart on his flightsuit, and he's an all-around inspiring character.

Aside from that, Ozma's like badass cubed, minus five. Because nobody is badass cubed.

Here you go. This ought to help. :lol:

royozma-2.jpg

Edited by Vifam7

Here you go. This ought to help. :lol:

royozma-2.jpg

Should we call him Rozma? Or maybe Ozmoy?

I personally prefer Rozma, but maybe we need another poll... :p

AS for Luca...I am glad he is sucking. He needs to get a haircut, wear some pants and put on about 50 pounds and six inches.

I feel sorry for Guld having no votes because his worst character flaws aren't really his fault, plus unlike Isamu, Guld was part of the development team as well as the test pilot for his fighter. He had mad brains and could fly like a maniac.

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

Should we call him Rozma? Or maybe Ozmoy?

I personally prefer Rozma, but maybe we need another poll... :p

AS for Luca...I am glad he is sucking. He needs to get a haircut, wear some pants and put on about 50 pounds and six inches.

I feel sorry for Guld having no votes because his worst character flaws aren't really his fault, plus unlike Isamu, Guld was part of the development team as well as the test pilot for his fighter. He had mad brains and could fly like a maniac.

definitely Rozma!

Guld would be my second choice as he is one of my favourite characters and the YF-21 is my favourite mecha. The scene in Macross Plus were it first shows him interface with the 21 and moving the wings and nozzles as though they are his own limbs is one of my standout moments from all Macross.

Still i think the BCS works against Guld when it comes to picking who is the best pilot. You see Isamu literally wrestle with the controls of the 19 and you can see the passion he puts into his flying, whereas Guld is pretty static apart from when he is going tits up.

So Isamu pips it for me but i still love you Guld!

For me it's Hikaru with Basara as a close second. While pretty much opposites both have a grumpy kind of determination I really appreciate in characters. Neither is particularly sociable but lack the cruel streak that I find unappealing in some of the other pilots.

Gamlin!

There's something to be said about the guy who goes and jumps in a brutal centrifuge out of sheer determination to tolerate a piloting technique. The other pilots like Isamu and Roy certainly have existing talents and "cool" factors, but Gamlin takes the cake in my mind because he's not just talented, he actually gets better over the course of his series through determination and hard work.

I think I see a kindred spirit in the guy, because I frequently have had to work through adversity and persevere in life to achieve my successes. That, and he's a bit of a stick in the mud because he's always so serious. :)

Yeah, Gamlin gets big points by not being "genetically/plot-blessed to be vastly superior"---he works really hard at it. Hikaru and Alto etc seem to just "hop into their first fighter jet and are automatically the best in the world at it".

Yeah, Gamlin gets big points by not being "genetically/plot-blessed to be vastly superior"---he works really hard at it. Hikaru and Alto etc seem to just "hop into their first fighter jet and are automatically the best in the world at it".

Well, Hikaru was a gifted pilot but he was hardly the best, both Roy and Max were better than him and Hikaru himself is shown training and getting repeatedly shot down throughout SDF:M. You can really say that about all the various Macross leads: Shin never really grasped battroid, hikaru had great situational awareness but only better than average piloting skills, Isamu was a gifted pilot but impulsive and a bit dumb, Bassara was great at battroid but his fighter mode skills were weak and Alto was good but even he constantly remarks how much better Ozma was and he's always being bested by Brera.

It's one of the things I really like about Macross versus other shows like gundam where the protagonist not only has the best of the best of the best mecha but are also the best pilot, gifted in some way, privy to special knowledge that no one else has, etc.

Well, Hikaru was a gifted pilot but he was hardly the best, both Roy and Max were better than him and Hikaru himself is shown training and getting repeatedly shot down throughout SDF:M. You can really say that about all the various Macross leads: Shin never really grasped battroid, hikaru had great situational awareness but only better than average piloting skills, Isamu was a gifted pilot but impulsive and a bit dumb, Bassara was great at battroid but his fighter mode skills were weak and Alto was good but even he constantly remarks how much better Ozma was and he's always being bested by Brera.

It's one of the things I really like about Macross versus other shows like gundam where the protagonist not only has the best of the best of the best mecha but are also the best pilot, gifted in some way, privy to special knowledge that no one else has, etc.

I don't think all of Gundam fits into that description...at least not the classic UC era series. It's more fitting of the alternate universe stuff. :(

And I have to disagree about Roy being a better pilot than Hikaru. I think Hikaru was much better than Roy (esp.in battroid mode). Afterall he went toe-to-toe with Kamujin and did quite admirably against Britai in hand-to-hand. I'll stop here since this isn't the thread for who was the better pilot.

Edited by Vifam7

I don't think all of Gundam fits into that description...at least not the classic UC era series. It's more fitting of the alternate universe stuff. :(

Okay, yeah, UC isn't as bad but nearly all the alt universe stuff is like that. Even 00 which started out promising devolved into the usual super human, with super gundam, saves the world by being super formula.

And I have to disagree about Roy being a better pilot than Hikaru. I think Hikaru was much better than Roy (esp.in battroid mode). Afterall he went toe-to-toe with Kamujin and did quite admirably against Britai in hand-to-hand. I'll stop here since this isn't the thread for who was the better pilot.

Well, DYRL certainly gives the impression that Hikaru is the lesser of pilots between him and roy. But even if he is better than Roy, Max is clearly better than him by far.

So I can't really give gamlin points just because he tries hard, most of the macross protagonists are like that with the exceptions of M&M.

Shin never really grasped battroid

Perhaps this is correct but I think Zero as a whole lacked alot of battroid (minus a few scenes). In Macross 7 it seemed like the only mode available.

I think Shin gets it rough from alot of people, but I think he is pretty good, just being a little too average in the personality department makes him less interesting. He gets two sisters to fall for him (impressive), and pulls some sick stunts in an F-14 before he even gets his VF-0. He just doesn't fully wrap his head around the whole multi mode thing before the show ends; where as, we see Roy making use of battroids advantages right in the first episode, Shin doesn't get there before the OVA ends.

WOW!!! I never realized we had a lot of Isamu's on this board. :lol: I feel sorry for Guld and Alto though, no one likes them? :p

In any case, my vote goes to Max. WHY? He's a very humble guy and always likes to stay in the background. I still remember when he was first introduced in SDFM as a member of Hikaru's team with all the accolades heaped upon him by his team mates after his performance. B))

WOW!!! I never realized we had a lot of Isamu's on this board. :lol: I feel sorry for Guld and Alto though, no one likes them? :p

I like both of them more than Isamu actually. Guld isn't the hero but he's a much more interesting character in Mac+ and he's got a cooler jet. Alto's just prettier. :p

Well, DYRL certainly gives the impression that Hikaru is the lesser of pilots between him and roy. But even if he is better than Roy, Max is clearly better than him by far.

Ah, but DYRL was just a "movie" in the Macross world. :p

Rumor has it that Hikaru, Max, and Millia did most of the Valkyrie scenes in the movie. Hikaru did all of the Fokker VF-1S scenes. :lol: