Favorite VF pilot? (not necessarily the best)

What is your favorite VF pilot? (not necessarily the best)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your fav?

• Hikaru Ichijo
    • Maximilian Jenius
    • Roy Fokker
    • Hayao Kakizaki
    • Milia Fallyna-Jenius
    • Guld Bowman
    • Isamu Dyson
    • Gamlin Kizaki
    • Kinryu/ Docker
    • Nekki Basara
    • Mylene Jenius/Ray Lovelock/ Liza Hoyly
    • Nora Polyansky/D.D. Ivanov
    • Shin Kudo
    • Luca Angeloni
    • Ozma Lee
    • Mikhail Buran
    • Alto Saotome
    • Brera Sterne
    • Nexx Gilbert/ Sylvie Gena/ Hibiki Kanzaki/ Feff
    • Miscellaneous (Physica, Dick, Mory, Pixie Squadron, Stephan, Graham, Zolan Forces, Chlore, Video Game pilots, Klan Klan/ Canaria Berstein, Bobby M., Grace, etc)

Ok everyone, I know there is a Best Pilot poll thread, but it seemed to degenerate into a shouting match and die. I propose a new thread were we can vote and discuss pilots not only on skill but other merits which make them (for whatever reason) our favorites.

I listed major ones as much as possible, but as you can see I have provided a space for the obscure. Obviously this is not a comprehensive list (only allowed twenty picks) and I am willing do amend/change it if I have made any significant errors. As you can see, many pilots have been combined, this is only due to space, I tried to leave those I thought would be Hot picks on their own. I also tried to organize the picks in this order SDFM->Plus->Mac 7->Zero->Frontier->Mac II/Misc

Please don't just pick a pilot and vote, give us your reasoning (raw skill, charisma, intangibly cool, underdog, funny,fashion sense etc.. Also, because I combined many pilots (especially the misc category)if you don't actually post who you picked, we won't know for sure.

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

I will try to get the ball rolling. I think this a very difficult thing to pick, however Roy is my choice.

1)Prolific. He shows up in a movie, series and OVA.

2)Skilled. While not the best pilot, he is damn good and there are no shortage of scenes where he is kicking butt.

3)Self sacrificing. Roy is quick to put his own butt on the line for a romantic cause.

4)Humor. I find his drunken advice on women, etc to be amusing also.

5)He dies. Instead of fading into obscurity he has been immortalized through a particularly awesome death scene in DYRL?.

there...not necessarily logical but who cares.

runner ups were Isamu, Ozma, Hikaru and Kinryu

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

Even though Roy, Ozma, Michael, and Klan rank very highly for me, I picked Isamu, simply because he frequently reminds me of myself. Cocky and arrogant, but effective. I know people can't stand my overconfidence, but they can't deny that I'll always come through for them.

As a pilot, Isamu was probably only paralleled by Max and Guld. All of them were seemingly unkillable; even against unstoppable opponents such as the Ghost X-9 and Milia Fallyna. As was previously mentioned, Isamu was nothing short of an ass-kicking pilot, ripping through that squadron of dissident Zentraedi at the beginning of the series. Then he vaulted the YF-19 team ahead of the YF-21 team during Project Supernova. Later, he even managed to get through the impenetrable planetary defense systems. Even though it pretty much WAS luck that he did so, he's got one of my favorite lines, "Luck is just one of my many skills!"

I loved his always-in-a-good-mood demeanor and his desire to get under peoples' skin all of the time... especially when he made Myung eat that sour fruit without telling her that it's bad. I was like "You dick!", but I laughed anyways.

Please don't just pick a pilot and vote, give us your reasoning (raw skill, charisma, intangibly cool, underdog, funny,fashion sense etc.. Also, because I combined many pilots (especially the misc category)if you don't actually post who you picked, we won't know for sure.

Fashion sense? Yeah, that'd be Grace. :D

Isamu, but only the 3-part OVA version. His irrepressible/comical cockiness is fun to watch, not to mention his mad-ass skills in whooping rogue Zentraedi ass.

His movie version? Not so much, due to excessive douche-baggery.

Max ranks a close second. Personality-wise, he's Isamu's direct opposite, but the man actually married an alien chick who tried to kill him....that's gotta count for something.

Gotta be Isamu. Awesome pilot, terrible attitude, flys one of the best looking fighters ever, and he actually gets the chicks into bed rather than acting like some kind of bumbling idiot (gamlin) or androgynous freak (basara, alto).

Kinda like the pilot version of House.

Hm... my favorite would be Sylvie Geena from Macross II: Lovers Again, with Maximilian Jenius being a close second. She's one of my favorite Mikimoto character designs, and she was the first ace pilot from a real Macross title I ever saw. It certainly doesn't hurt that she pilots my favorite VF ever, and that she's canonically one of the two best pilots in the entire Sol system circa 2092.^_^

Hm... my favorite would be Sylvie Geena from Macross II: Lovers Again, with Maximilian Jenius being a close second. She's one of my favorite Mikimoto character designs, and she was the first ace pilot from a real Macross title I ever saw. It certainly doesn't hurt that she pilots my favorite VF ever, and that she's canonically one of the two best pilots in the entire Sol system circa 2092.^_^

Definitely one of Mikimoto's best designs.

silvie.jpg

My favorite too.

Next favorite is Hikaru - because he gets to choose between Misa and Minmay. Lucky bastard. :lol:

Edited by Vifam7

Wow, Isamu is kicking butt. I expected him to be strong but not tops in all honesty.

He just rules. People talk about his cockiness and douchebaggery, but the guy was very noble. If Guld wanted to pin the blame on him for the Myung thing, then that was his business. Isamu bit his lip, carried the burden, and just went about his business. He just didn't care what anyone thought of him, and because of that he came off as arrogant, but in actuality he was a really good guy. Better than most.

I admire his pick-up skills too. Finally a character who isn't constantly nervous, uncomfortable, intimidated, or uninterested when in the presence of young/attractive girls! Very refreshing change from typical anime male characters.

I do like how this thread has actually stayed true to the "fave" pilot, and not "best" pilot. The fact that Guld has no votes is proof of that---he's damn good, I think we all agree on that--but he's just got too many "negatives" to really be anyone's fave, character-wise.

A few people have said this now and I agree. Roy (my pick) also had this quality.

That's true. Roy was really on his game in Mac Zero. The move where he led Aries to believe that the landmine was still armed so he could steal a kiss from her was genius. Kind of like when Arthur steals the kiss from Ariadne in Inception. Very sly.

But truthfully I found Roy to be borderline misogynistic in DYRL!

Edited by Vic Mancini

Only borderline...?

I agree...Strangely it doesn't make me like him any less :D Maybe a little like how most people's grand parents are a little racist...product of their time is all. Roy is a product of a time in anime and Japan where people may have thought like that still.

Anyway, this is getting too serious for this topic, so back to the point...

I think it is AWESOME someone voted for Hayao Kakizaki, I feel vindicated for giving him his own category :)

Be proud of your pick Dynaman! Besides, Just being able to keep up with guys like Max, Hikaru and Roy is pretty damn impressive. I bet there are more of us like Kakizaki then we would care to admit :lol:

silvie.jpg

Great pic of Sylvie. Always thought her freckles were so cute. She'd be my second choice....I voted for Hikaru. Flying was his life prior to Space War 1 and his skills earned him many merits. I can only imagine the incredible achievements he did with the Lightning...oh and Misa was a great take home prize too ^_^

Edited by Zor Primus