True - but they PAID for that by having an endless number of episodes with nearly no SFX budget needed. The endless Baltar talking into a microphone episodes come to mind. (where is that funny youtube video of BSG as a video game when I need it...)

LOL. Explains those episodes with the court case and flash backs.

It's about budget guys. This is a TV show. Look at how much Game Of Thrones sacrificed with omitted battles in season 1, and only once it got popular, was that blank check given for season 2.

I'll rather they not show it if it's of restricted quality.

Its not about budget at all. I will try to find the "behind the scenes special," but I remember in one of them the makers of the show specifically stated they will never portray the original invasion aside from perhaps breif flashbacks of where people were when the Alien EMPs hit. They furher stated that the alien invasions have been portrayed countless times already and they wanted to supply only a vague invasion story for the viewers to use their imaginations with.

Its not about budget at all. I will try to find the "behind the scenes special," but I remember in one of them the makers of the show specifically stated they will never portray the original invasion aside from perhaps breif flashbacks of where people were when the Alien EMPs hit. They furher stated that the alien invasions have been portrayed countless times already and they wanted to supply only a vague invasion story for the viewers to use their imaginations with.

If thats true and its not about a budget, then thats just lazy story telling or making the show on the cheap. A good writer/story teller does not leave key moments or events like the Invasion of Earth up to me the viewer to "Imagine" or "Interpret" what could have occurred. Again I am hoping this show will continue to pick up the pace and much bigger more eye popping scenes are on the way.

Not to keep bringing BSG up, buts it a good example of series with a limited budget and shows how they gave enough episodes of talk talk talk but then one hell of an E-Ticket Ride of battle scenes and sh-t that goes Boom, With someone like Spielberg & Rodat at the helm we know their capable of amazing action/adventure scenes, and yes I do expect more than some lame "Brief Flashback".

Edited by 505thAirborne

True - but they PAID for that by having an endless number of episodes with nearly no SFX budget needed. The endless Baltar talking into a microphone episodes come to mind. (where is that funny youtube video of BSG as a video game when I need it...)

Thats was definitely one way to save some $$$.

And yes, find that Video! B))

I very much disagree. The invasion of Earth was an off-screen moment done right. We the viewers know exactly what occured without seeing it animated thanks to the child's narrative and drawings in the opening of episode 1.

This. And honestly why do we even need to see the invasion? The whole story and premise of the show is about our resistance to the alien occupation, not how Earth was initially lost.

-b.

I very much disagree. The invasion of Earth was an off-screen moment done right. We the viewers know exactly what occured without seeing it animated thanks to the child's narrative and drawings in the opening of episode 1.

Chincha? So was the all that footage shown of how the Death Star was blown up at the end of Jedi just way to much info when really all of the Ewok's could have done was just draw some finger paintings on a tree and said "Boom Boom" and that way we'd all know exactly how the Death Star was destroyed. I prefer the extra effort of seeing X-wings and the Falcon carry that mission out!

My point is not that an invasion scene or the Overlords Homeworld is so bloody necessary for the Falling Skies to be super amazing, Robert Rodat wrote Saving Private Ryan, Spielberg Directed it, Now just imagine NOT seeing the Omaha Beach landing scene and its only mention is Tom Hanks taking 30 seconds to say "It was a Nightmare"... you'd want your money back. By showing such a graphic visual of such destruction and peril it sets the mood, I'm pushy about an invasion scene cause it would truly set the mood why the resistance is so hell bent on winning, not because in Episode 1 a child did some drawings and said "It was scary".

Edited by 505thAirborne

In "Falling Skies" the invasion of Earth is a mere prologue. Very different then the epic conclusion of a storyline like the destruction of the Death Star.

Its "Omaha beach" moment is when Tom Mason and others ran from skitters and mechs moment before Boston got nuked. It set the mood of the show and lead to the formation of the formation of the 2nd Massachusetts Regiment, which is the main focus of the show.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Funny that's the last post in the thread.

Over the weekend, I finished watching Falling Skies. Gotta say, I'm really enjoying it. There are some aspects I don't like so much, but nothing nearly so annoying as you typically find in contemporary science-fiction. I haven't really been this invested in a sci-fi show since The 4400, even if it isn't really the "big idea" kind of science fiction I usually prefer.

I am kind of surprised at how small the budget seems to be, given Spielberg's involvement. I mean, hell, even Lincoln struck me as kind of low-budget. It is nice to see him return to science-fiction; I hope, as the scale of the series expands going into the third season, we'll be treated to more "big" moments. Really interested in what the "secret" of the war will be.

My two main concerns going into it is that A) we'll see less of the Skitters, which stinks because I really like 'em, and B) Hal's implant/story/thing will be somethings stupid. But FS hasn't failed me yet, so here's hoping.

My only real hope for the future of the series is that Pope dies. Such a pain-in-the-ass.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to watch it right now, but I'm thoroughly confused.

Yeah, I caught a snippet last night and felt the same, probably since I haven't watched in two years.

Maybe I'll binge on Netflix...

-b.

The 4-months-later time jump is a bit disorienting. They pulled of the same kind of crap with last season's opener; you end up feeling like you're missing a hell of a lot of pertinent back-story, and it takes two or three episodes before things settle down into some sort of coherent narrative.

I'm not too sure I like the Nazi inspired direction they're taking the show, what with the Nazi Youth indoctrination academy, the human ghetto with its detention center, the Partisans, and the Vichy and the collaborators. This kind of WWII occupied France allegory has been done to death; hopefully, the writers and producers get over this fetish in a few episodes and move on.

The 4-months-later time jump is a bit disorienting. They pulled of the same kind of crap with last season's opener; you end up feeling like you're missing a hell of a lot of pertinent back-story, and it takes two or three episodes before things settle down into some sort of coherent narrative.

I'm not too sure I like the Nazi inspired direction they're taking the show, what with the Nazi Youth indoctrination academy, the human ghetto with its detention center, the Partisans, and the Vichy and the collaborators. This kind of WWII occupied France allegory has been done to death; hopefully, the writers and producers get over this fetish in a few episodes and move on.

Yeah, I agree. I guess they wanted to split up all the main characters this season too.

• 1 year later...

Just watched the final episode. Although this season was, in general, a step up from the last couple seasons(*) that last couple episodes were major stinkers.

(*) - This is due to them dumping the cliche alien baby, take me to your leader, and other scifi cliche baggage.

I never really got into, even though I like Noah Wiley. I've watched the Librarians, which is a fun show. But this one...

It just never got me, not the least of which was the anti-climactic endings, which was the same with this last one. The whole confrontation at the end just happened too quick in comparison to the build up. That, and I've never been a fan of the 'all fall down' type ending... Take out the Queen and they all go 'pop..?'

Sorry. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was another season. I might tune in to see that, the human race rising from the ashes of the old to step out among the stars with our allies, while finding new ones - as well as new enemies.

Also the very ending, the speach part. It sounded like he's been President for two terms since the war. There is also a lot of reconstruction going on in the background, such as the scaffolding seen around the Washington Monument and the other buildings going up in the distance. Yet his wife, who had just found out she was pregnant before the final battle, is now barely showing a few months..?

Edited by Thom