And, according to wikipedia (*shudder*), it's a 90-minute movie...so I don't think it was part of either of the Gaiden series.

Its a movie with the art from the manga, basically its horrible, I consider it as an insult to LoGH.

BTW, have anyone tried the newest LoGH pc game demo from Bandai?

Edited by Morpheus

Ja, I hadn't seen 'Golden Wings' since those early VHS years. I've very happy that the Gaiden episodes are something else, and that they keep the OVA art style. I'm downloading an episode now and then, moving through it very slowly. After all, I'd finished the main OVA over nearly a decade, then discovered there was more! I'll be sad to get through it all too quickly, especially now that Frontier is over and there's nothing else really grabbing my attention.

Not really. The name at the bottom of the screen for the first few times we see a character was a enough to get me to remember them later when they didn't show it.

Man, how did I not post in this thread :p

The names at the bottom are key... also alot of the main characters reappear alot. For your sake the main ones on the Empire's side are (These aren't really spoilers)

Reinhard Von Lohengramm(musel)

Siegfried Kircheis

Oskar Von Reuenthal

Wolfgang Mittermeyer

Joachim Von Merkatz

Paul Von Oberstein

Neidhard Muller

Oberstein appeared towards the middle so where is fraulein Mariendorf ? :rolleyes:

Oberstein appeared towards the middle so where is fraulein Mariendorf ? :rolleyes:

Actually Oberstien appears as a major character earlier than Mariendorf... he was present during the fall of Iselhorn and advised against almost every course of action, then was relieved. Upon returning from the fall (episode 8), he then ingratiates himself with Musel/Lohengrahamm, which launches his machinations.

Mariandorf does actually appear earlier, (I believe in the Kastrop Rebellion) but there is no suggestion she might become a major character. You're right though, I probably should have included her and thats an oversight. I kinda like watching the generals operate I guess. :p

Actually Oberstien appears as a major character earlier than Mariendorf... he was present during the fall of Iselhorn and advised against almost every course of action, then was relieved. Upon returning from the fall (episode 8), he then ingratiates himself with Musel/Lohengrahamm, which launches his machinations.

Mariandorf does actually appear earlier, (I believe in the Kastrop Rebellion) but there is no suggestion she might become a major character. You're right though, I probably should have included her and thats an oversight. I kinda like watching the generals operate I guess. :p

You have a good memory. I just remember that he encoutered Lohengramm or Kircheis , I think it's the last though, at some ceremony when his eyes showed signs of weakness...

Talking about Hilda, she was the woman who dressed constantly as a man,so she was an outstanding female character, but it didn't mean anything though , since you said it she appeared earlier. ;)

Wow, the PC game is quite good, I picked the Empire side and done the campaign which begins from Battle at Tiamat (Reinhardt is still rear admiral back then), currently I'm progressing into Battle at Amlitzer against Yang fleet.

Whats impress me is that each fleet commander and its aide could buff ally fleet with special skill and also you can use the tactic from the anime to defeat the FPA.

Also during the battle at Planet Legmiza (From LoGH the Movie:My Conquest is the sea of star),

You will be overwhelmed by the FPA fleet, but if you manage to gather them in one spot, Reinhardt will ignite the planet destroying them all.

:lol:

Also during the battle at Planet Legmiza (From LoGH the Movie:My Conquest is the sea of star),

You will be overwhelmed by the FPA fleet, but if you manage to gather them in one spot, Reinhardt will ignite the planet destroying them all.

:lol:

Yeah, that scene is pure gold. :) Makes a very good first impression when I first see LOGH, as that movie is the first I see of the long series.

BTW, I'm into episode 7 now, and man, Yang proves to be a good tactician.

That Trunit fella want him to dead in Iserlohn, but he end up being a hero. What a way to promote your enemy, my good ol' Secretary of Defence.

:p

And now I understand why those Imperial forces keep calling FPA as rebels. Keep confusing me when I first see the series.

BTW, Morpheus, what type of game is the new LOGH game is? Tactical turn-based just like Advance Wars and SRW? And in which platform?

Edited by Sulendil Ang

BTW, Morpheus, what type of game is the new LOGH game is? Tactical turn-based just like Advance Wars and SRW? And in which platform?

Its Windows PC platform. link

Its an RTS game, its 3D but when you zoom it out it will became 2D map, the fleet movement is limited in 2D. So basically you can arrange the fleet into several formation depending on the commander, there are basic bombardment attack, artillery (missile) attack, and fighter attack. The commander can also use buff/debuff once the skill point is accumulated. One fleet may contain one commander, one advisor and two vice-commander for the left and right flank (which can be separated into smaller fleet). You can choose the commander and its crew on the beginning of the mission, as you progress into the campaign, you will get more commanders. Camera movement is a bit tricky, you can use cursor key to move the camera around the map, but you need to press CTRL and moving the mouse to rotate the view, zooming is performed by the middle mouse wheel.

Battle are decided by victory points (destroying enemy ships accumulated this point) or by destroying all the enemy flagship. Destroying enemy flagship will make its fleet scatter and run away and if its done right, it could end a battle fast, however the flagship is usually located deep inside enemy ships formation. Once the battle has been won, each participating commander will receive experience points and will advance in level. each ships have its own health and morale, if the morale is low, the ship will attempt to flee, breaking the fleet formation

Just like in the anime, each fleet could engage head on exchanging fire or we can maneuver it so we can fire the enemy from the side or behind (firing from the side or behind increase damage since most of the ship have force field in front of them).

We can destroy enemy fleet much faster if we can envelope it with two or more fleet (and if your commander have the half envelope formation). I manage to destroy Yang Fleet in Amlitzer by enveloping it with Reinhardt, Kircheis, Mittermeyer and Ruenthal Fleet, however Yang have defense buff which make it a bit difficult to crush his ships and his vice commander, Attenborough have a nasty buff which will make all the ally ships (FPA) to fire continuous barrage. Reinhardt buff is increase damage of ally ships and Kircheis buff increase ship HP regeneration. I think Mittermeyer buff increase movement speed.

post-653-1224626911_thumb.jpg

post-653-1224626943_thumb.jpg

post-653-1224627137_thumb.jpg

Edited by Morpheus

Good God I hope someone makes an english patch for this. It looks remarkable. I was a bit put off by the low-quality look to the ship models, but on the other hand the fleets look to be as massive as they are in the anime. Is that the case? Hundreds to thousands of ships?

A question: is there a reason why Reinhard has two surnames? Will this being explained in the main 110 episodes series, or will it be explained in Gaiden/movies?

Also, how many of the LOGH has been subbed? I know the whole main series, the whole first Gaiden, some episodes of second Gaiden, and the first movie has been subbed by Central Anime, but how about the others?

Edited by Sulendil Ang

I just got the game and tried the FPA side of the campaign, and wow I got my ass kicked on the first mission. It was the Battle of Legzima. I was initially winning with no problems, but then Reinhardt, Kircheis, Mittermeyer and Ruenthal Fleets shows up, outnumbered me and the rest was not pretty. Poor Attenbough, he got wasted.

I kinda expected to lose the battle like in the movie, when Reinhardt nukes planet, but nope he just overwhelmed and crushed my fleet.

I guess I am nowhere near Yang Wen Li's skill level.

A question: is there a reason why Reinhard has two surnames? Will this being explained in the main 110 episodes series, or will it be explained in Gaiden/movies?

Reinhard was born to a poor noble family. His mother died saving the life of both he and his sister when they were very young. Annerose helped the young Reinhard cope with this loss and took his mothers place. When his sister was sixteen, she was taken away from the three member family by the Kaiser as a concubine. Reinhard confronted his father, discovering that he had sold her to the Kaiser. The young Reinhard was furious , "The Royals always take what they want!". Later that night, with his friend Siegfried Kircheis, he tried to liberate her but a case of mistaken identity foiled his plan. On a grassy knoll, staring at the sky, Reinhard vowed to free his sister and bring the Goldenbaum Aristocracy to and end.

As teenagers, Reinhard and his friend joined the Imperial Army. Reinhard's plan was to become so powerful in the armed forces that he could free his sister and topple the aristocracy.

In 482RC, he was stationed on a remote planetary base with Siegfried Kricheis. After which they were transferred to Fleet. (Side Stories: Valley of White Silver).

In 483RC, as a Lieutenant Commander, Reinhard was given command of El Murant II stationed at the Iserlohn Fortress (before the Hydrometal was added). During this time, the Free Planets launched the Fifth Iserlohn Offensive, nearly succeeding in capturing the fortress.

At age 18 (485RC), Commodore Musel fought in the battle of Van Fleet Starzone earning him a promotion to Rear Admiral. Six months later, he fought the Free Planets Alliance during the 6th Iserlohn Assault resulting in a promotion to Vice Admiral. (This is now documented in a new series of "side-stories".)

After winning a battle against the Free Planets at Tiamat, he was promoted once again and earned the respect from his superiors, who had always felt that he only rose to power since the Kaiser favored his sister. It should be noted, that the battle at Tiamat was not a total victory, due to the intervention of Yang Wen-Li of the Free Planets Alliance.

In the months that followed, Reinhard changed his name, discarding the shameful "Musel" name for a new lineage. (see "Overture to a New War")

I just got the game and tried the FPA side of the campaign, and wow I got my ass kicked on the first mission. It was the Battle of Legzima. I was initially winning with no problems, but then Reinhardt, Kircheis, Mittermeyer and Ruenthal Fleets shows up, outnumbered me and the rest was not pretty. Poor Attenbough, he got wasted.

I kinda expected to lose the battle like in the movie, when Reinhardt nukes planet, but nope he just overwhelmed and crushed my fleet.

I guess I am nowhere near Yang Wen Li's skill level.

Remember Yang Wenli skill is deception and

running away

^_^

This is how I do it (S rank)

Keep running away when you met the empire fleet, engange the smaller fleet with help of spartanian (keep moving your fleet to avoid getting enveloped by the empire). Don't use any skills yet, when enough skill point is accumulated, use Attenborough skill and Yang skill to destroy Brunhild.

Remember Yang Wenli skill is deception and

running away

^_^

This is how I do it (S rank)

Keep running away when you met the empire fleet, engange the smaller fleet with help of spartanian (keep moving your fleet to avoid getting enveloped by the empire). Don't use any skills yet, when enough skill point is accumulated, use Attenborough skill and Yang skill to destroy Brunhild.

On the second attempt, I also got S rank, using a different strategy. Now I am on the 3rd mission in the Astate Starzone. Trying to figure out what the victory conditions are.

As expected the 6th and 4th fleets are useless, I was able to get up to the battle zone as Riendhardt engages the 6th fleet, maybe I can save Lap.

Edited by shadow3393

On the second attempt, I also got S rank, using a different strategy. Now I am on the 3rd mission in the Astate Starzone. Trying to figure out what the victory conditions are.

As expected the 6th and 4th fleets are useless, I was able to get up to the battle zone as Riendhardt engages the 6th fleet, maybe I can save Lap.

I wonder if we can re-enact the infamous merry-go-around formation :lol:

Watched until episode 11. :)

Oh man, that Commodore Fork really irks me for some reason. For a operation officer, he talked more like a used salesman and politician than a CO. I don't see anything good outcome for this stupid invasion.

And Phezzan continues to manipulates the war outcomes. I guess Phezzan wanted both sides to fight each other so that more profits can be earned from those suckers, and to ensure they will do Phezzan a favour and won't invade using Phezzan Corridor. Phezzan's rule in the future will be interesting.

Until episode 16. :)

Told you the whole invasion plan is crap.

:p Poor Fork, can't handle a little temper, huh?

BTW, the Amlitzer Encounter (sp?) is nice battle. That, and Yang is seriously good at running away. :lol: something I realise only recently. Episode 16 is full of events, with death of Kaiser Frederich IV and the retirement of some high ranking officers of both sides, together with the introduction of the Earth Cult and their plots with Phezzan. Now Yang is in Iserlohn, I'm going to see how FPA going to manage this giant fortress.

• 2 years later...

I'm planning to start watching LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES, the complete saga, one episode per day (Starting January 1st) and wanted to invite anyone to join along in the discussion and understanding of this great anime series.

All the episodes have been subtitled by Central Anime and uploaded to YouTube.

There are a total of 110 episodes in the main series, 3 OVA movies and 52 episodes in the "Gaiden" prequel/side stories.

If anyone has not watched it, it is one of the greatest series in the history of not just anime, but science fiction and drama.

To say it is EPIC is an understatement. If you have seen it, you know what I am talking about, if you haven't seen it, then you are missing out.

I will post the links up for the day's episode every day. I'd like to introduce this series to anyone who has not seen it.

Any LOGH fans out there?

Edited by Tom Bateman

I'm planning to start watching LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES, the complete saga, one episode per day (Starting January 1st) and wanted to invite anyone to join along in the discussion and understanding of this great anime series.

There are a total of 110 episodes in the main series, 3 OVA movies and 52 episodes in the "Gaiden" prequel/side stories.

If anyone has not watched it, it is one of the greatest series in the history of not just anime, but science fiction and drama.

To say it is EPIC is an understatement. If you have seen it, you know what I am talking about, if you haven't seen it, then you are missing out.

I will post the links up for the day's episode every day. I'd like to introduce this series to anyone who has not seen it.

Any LOGH fans out there?

Downloading the series now.

I've been meaning to watch LOGH and this sounds like the perfect time.

Yeah, I might be up for that. I saw an OVA movie ages ago and liked it, and I actually saw the first three episodes recently, but never got round to pursuing it further. I know it's one of the classic masterpieces of anime but I never made the commitment.

Any LOGH fans out there?

You know what? I'll take you up on that offer... I've watched it before but I'd like to do it again. Personally I love the setting and how well thought out the political-military structure is on both sides.

So I assume we're going to use the Central Anime version?

You know what? I'll take you up on that offer... I've watched it before but I'd like to do it again. Personally I love the setting and how well thought out the political-military structure is on both sides.

So I assume we're going to use the Central Anime version?

Yes, unless there is another version that has all the episodes translated.

It doesn't look like it has the redone animation that they did later on in the series. The chinese DVDs have the newer animation, but the translations are atrocious.

I wanted to thank Tom for coming over and hanging out the other day. I got to watch it for the first time, and must say, it's definitely grandios on drama and story. The first episode was full of action, drama, and a lot of story. You can definitely tell it's a large story, and 110 eps. seems like it would fit just right for a story this big. If the central anime series is on bittorrent, I'll probably download all of it to my external HD now, and prep for the viewing. What are the terms of viewing? Mon-Fri? And do we discuss the watched episode the day after so that people have a chance to watch and not get spoilers? Hahaha, I guess I'm saying, count me in.

Yes, unless there is another version that has all the episodes translated.

It doesn't look like it has the redone animation that they did later on in the series. The chinese DVDs have the newer animation, but the translations are atrocious.

I've always thought that CA had some of the best translations; they also attempt to follow traditional subtitle conventions, which most subbers generally fail at. Currently they have finished the entire series off of VHS... (actually I think I like that version better.) However they are slowly going through the DVD remastered version that was put out a few years ago.

One question. Are we going to watch it in Chronological order or the release order?

Any LOGH fans out there?

Absolutely Love LOGH. It's one of the great injustices that this masterpiece never got a release outside Japan.

However I've just recently seen it, so watching it again would be kinda unnecesary for me. Have it fresh in my memory though, so I'd love to participate in any discussions on it if that's allright.

Stuff that is good: Epic epic epic scale of space warfare and political machinations, moral ambiguity as neither the FPA nor the Empire are absolute goods or evils, and Walter von Schonkopf (THE ANIMU PATRIARCH OF GAR).

Stuff not so sure about: Desgins (axes, and medieval-like armor), the cheapening of human life in the far future.

I wanted to thank Tom for coming over and hanging out the other day. I got to watch it for the first time, and must say, it's definitely grandios on drama and story. The first episode was full of action, drama, and a lot of story. You can definitely tell it's a large story, and 110 eps. seems like it would fit just right for a story this big. If the central anime series is on bittorrent, I'll probably download all of it to my external HD now, and prep for the viewing. What are the terms of viewing? Mon-Fri? And do we discuss the watched episode the day after so that people have a chance to watch and not get spoilers? Hahaha, I guess I'm saying, count me in.

There are 162 half hour episodes in total (110 in the main series and 52 in the prequel series), plus the three movies.

I will post the links to the episode on YouTube around midnight each day. Then we discuss the show as we watch it. What does everyone want to do? Monday-Friday? or Everyday?

I know a number of us have seen it, so let's be sure to avoid talk of spoilers. I personally have seen the entire series, but only half of the series was subtitled when I watched it back in 2000-01. Yes, I was so addicted, I watched the rest of the series without subs just to see what happened!

One question. Are we going to watch it in Chronological order or the release order?

Noyhauser, I believe we should start with the "Gaiden" prequel side stories, as they give a lot of character background to Yang Wen Li and Reinhard von Lohengramm (von Musel) It shows how each of them met the other "heroes" that are with both characters in the main series.

This is the series in CHRONOLOGICAL order.

* Spiral Labyrinth (14 episodes)

* Valley of White Silver (4 episodes)

* Those Who Revolt / Mutineer (4 episodes)

* Those Who Duel / Duelist (4 episodes)

* Golden Wings (OVA Movie)

* Those Who Recapture / Survivors (4 episodes)

* Morning's Dream, Night's Song (4 episodes)

* A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights (12 episodes)

* The Third Battle of Tiamat (2 episodes)

* My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (OVA Movie)

* Disgrace (4 episodes)

* Overture to a New War (OVA Movie)

* Main OVA Series 1 (26 episodes)

* Main OVA Series 2 (28 episodes)

* Main OVA Series 3 (32 episodes)

* Main OVA Series 4 (24 episodes)

Edited by Tom Bateman

Absolutely Love LOGH. It's one of the great injustices that this masterpiece never got a release outside Japan.

However I've just recently seen it, so watching it again would be kinda unnecesary for me. Have it fresh in my memory though, so I'd love to participate in any discussions on it if that's allright.

Absolutely, would love to hear from all LOGH veterans, just be sure to watch the spoilers. Let's not spoil it for those who haven't been able to experience it.

Stuff that is good: Epic epic epic scale of space warfare and political machinations, moral ambiguity as neither the FPA nor the Empire are absolute goods or evils, and Walter von Schonkopf (THE ANIMU PATRIARCH OF GAR).

Stuff not so sure about: Desgins (axes, and medieval-like armor), the cheapening of human life in the far future.

Yeah, I always thought the battle axes were a bit over the top, not to mention the liberal amount of blood. This is a VERY violent series, I think they were trying to show the horrors of war and not try to sugarcoat it.

Yes, Walter von Schenkopp is one bad mother...

The single longest OVA of all time, i love LoGH. There is much more depth to the story than in the average space opera. I really like the questions it raise about bad republics vs good dictatorships. Plus, Reinhard seems to be an amalgam of Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great (at least i though so). the only thing i didn't like about the show is the blond kid (Julien, i think his name was) I found him kinda annoying.

This sounds very cool. I've read a lot about LOGH but never actually watched an episode because I'm not typically crazy about older shows. I suppose I've become accustomed to the eye candy most newer productions have to offer.

At any rate, (I think) I'm in; though I may not be able to stop myself from watching a few eps before new years.