Yesterday morning at about 4:00 AM, I finished episoded 110 of the Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Wow... It took me about three weeks to finish it all from start to end and it was more than worth it. I have to say, without any hesitation, that this is one of the greatest series of all time. More often than not, I can predict fairly well where a show is going and how it will end, but not with this one. It took so many twists and turns along the way that the only thing I could do was just hang on and see what happens next. Plus, how can I not like a setting where the boarding weapon of choice is the battle axe?

Anyway, I highly recommend the show for those who haven't seen it yet (there's a petition to bring it over to the US at: http://www.gineigoods.com/form/ . Also, any thoughts or comments from fellow LotGH fans?

I'm only through the first season (been alternating it with other shows so I won't burn out), but definately an interesting show. I do wish there was more focus on Yang though, but I suppose he was the main inspiration for the Irresponsible Captain Tylor, which is fair enough :)

I'm going to wait until I finish the series before I start the OVA's though. This will be a massive release if it ever is licensed here.

I've only seen up to about ep 40. Very good show. Love the weird strategies endless talk about said strategies.

Did you see english subtitled eps all the thru to 110?

Yes, they were subtitled. I got the Chinese bootleg as a hold over until the US release finally comes out (I am signed up and already saving money towards it).

I'm only through the first season (been alternating it with other shows so I won't burn out), but definately an interesting show. I do wish there was more focus on Yang though, but I suppose he was the main inspiration for the Irresponsible Captain Tylor, which is fair enough :)

I'm going to wait until I finish the series before I start the OVA's though. This will be a massive release if it ever is licensed here.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is based on some novels written back in the 50's. There was also a live action film based on the same source that came out in the 60's called "Irresponsible Man" or something like that.

Also, all of LotGH is an OVA series.

What is the quality of these bootlegs and where can I get them? I'm also signed up and waiting for the official set (if it ever happens), but I have the feeling that if it ever does get released, it will be a long ways off from now. I've seen through Episode 42, and the first two movies, I must have more!

Right now I'm tiding myself over with Battleflag of the Stars, but it's just not the same.

I'm watching it now. Just finished ep # 102. Only 8 more eps to go!

Been watching it at a rate of 1 to 2 eps per evening before I sleep for the last few months. Great anime. Gonna have to track down the movies and OVA side stories as well.

Graham

Ok, the reviews have convinced me to buy it, as I just discovered it from another thread. Speaking of which, does anyone know where to find the space ships that were put out? I just returned from japan today, and the closest I got to them was a display case that had a few ships. Any help would be appreciated

Speaking of which, does anyone know where to find the space ships that were put out?

The pre-painted hard-PVC Legend of Galactic Heroes spaceships are by Yellow Submarine and are due for release later this month (March 2004). Quality and material should be similar to Yellow Submarine's Yukikaze planes, if that helps.

The Legend of Galactic Heroes spaceships are up for pre-order at HLJ. Look under 'Heldensagen vom Kosmosinesef'. Be warned, there are a lot of them (12 sets or 1 huge master set), so if you want them all, be prepared to spend a lot of money :D

Graham

Typical, I go to Japan, planning on getting the Max -1J 48th scale, some 1/60th armor, and other cool stuff I wanted, and it is all pushed back month so I can't get it on my trip! looks like it is time to pay the gods of shipping lots and lots again :)

I want to pick up the ships for use in "full thrust"

Edited by Starnite

What is the quality of these bootlegs and where can I get them? I'm also signed up and waiting for the official set (if it ever happens), but I have the feeling that if it ever does get released, it will be a long ways off from now. I've seen through Episode 42, and the first two movies, I must have more!

Right now I'm tiding myself over with Battleflag of the Stars, but it's just not the same.

The quality is okay. The biggest problems with the subtitles are grammar and timing. The translations themselves are passabile. The video quality varies. There's 8 or 9 episodes on each disc, so you can imagine what it's like. I got mine off Ebay and paied $90 for it including shipping from Hong Kong.

I've been told from an inside source to expect something to be announced at Anime Expo in regards to the US release.

110 episdoes? That's a boatload of anime...

Sign me up... I wonder who'll end up releasing it in R1? If it were ADV, it would only be spread out on 142 discs... :blink::lol::p

The Japanese company is planning to do it themselves. They'd offered the show for years to any company who would license it, but with the stipulation that the entire series was to be licensed at once. No US company was willing to gamble on it.

Wow, 110 main story episodes, 54 side storyepisodes, and 3 features! That's a lot of show. I love a good serious space opera though. CotS and BoTS are among my favorite anime shows. May have to get this show's set from Animeniacs or somewhere as well eventually. Once my backlog is clear of course.

Expo, eh? I'll hold off then, if a legit package is on the way, I might as well save my money. Luckily my girlfriend is almost as big a fan of the series as I am, so we can split the cost of the series. :)

The basic set-up of the story is that five hundred years ago mankind was united under a single empire (the Reich). A group of rebels manages to escape from the Reich and found their own government (the Free Planetary Alliance). A hundred and fifty years ago the Reich and the Alliance finally meet and war errupts. Now the war has been in stalemate for 150 years and both the governments have become corrupt and self-perpetuating. From this, two geniuses emerge, Reinhard von Lohenngram from the Reich and Yang Wen Li from the Alliance. The series unfolds around these two men as they change everything around them.

The show features:

* Very intense political intrigue. Machiavelli has nothing on guys like Oberstein and Trunhilt.

* Huge space battles with fleets numbering in the tens of thousands. Many are actually based on real, historic naval battals.

* A huge cast of very interesting and unique characters. As a bonus, the show helpfully gives you a character's name on screen for the first dozen times or so you see him or her.

* A great musical score. It's all classical music, excepting the opening and ending themes. Ravel's Bollero as a background to an immense space battle is just amazing.

* The afore-mentioned battle axes as boarding weapons.

Edited by JELEINEN

Crest/Banner of Stars and it's sequels Battleflag of the Stars I and II are probably the closest anime I can think of, but I tend to think of them as LotGH-lite. Excellent shows, don't get me wrong. LotGH just has a more epic feel to it, at least in my opinion. LotGH seems to have many more key characters, as well.

My interest has definately been caught on this one. Sounds right up my alley.

• 1 year later...
The interesting thing so far, at least where I am at in the series, is everyone has alot of ships. I'm so used to seeing ships on the run, ships low on fuel, no allies anywhere, it is a different feel to see a whole fleet hammer another fleet.

With all those ships, nothing survives long enough to run low on fuel or even have a chance to make a run for it. :lol:

The interesting thing so far, at least where I am at in the series, is everyone has alot of ships. I'm so used to seeing ships on the run, ships low on fuel, no allies anywhere, it is a different feel to see a whole fleet hammer another fleet.

With all those ships, nothing survives long enough to run low on fuel or even have a chance to make a run for it. :lol:

335664[/snapback]

Not if you riding a 60 km fortress protected with liquid metal and armed with a massive x-ray cannon capable of vaporizing an entire fleet :lol: Not including 15,000 ships in the docking bay :ph34r:

I love the fortress vs fortress game in that series :lol:

Really a great series: I've just watched the 45 first eps fansubbed by Central Anime and I really like it, since the very beginning. I strongly recommend to everyone to check it out :)

I have the complete series on DVD subbed. Unfortunately it is a poorly subed bootleg copy from China.

Me and my gf finished the series in 6 days. It was fun and she loved it. I enjoyed especially the fleet battles and she enjoys the storyline. To her, Oskar von Ruentahl was the hero of the story but I think Yang Wenli carried the day. :p

Alas, I am also grabbing Central Anime's eps. for some heavy viewing when complete. I was also able to grab the entire Gaiden series (OVAs) and movies.

So there will be a lot of LOGH going on at some point.

But with a new house and 2 kids, definitely not enough gray-matter left in me to get into an epic like this right now. Have to make sure the time is right. :wink:

Really a great series: I've just watched the 45 first eps fansubbed by Central Anime and I really like it, since the very beginning. I strongly recommend to everyone to check it out  :)

335762[/snapback]

This thread's piqued my curiosity enough that it's gotten me watching... I'd seen a couple episodes way back and thought they were interesting enough, but never really got into it, partly because of how bloody long the series is. But since then, I've become a bit more of a military and tactics geek, and really dig how the series resonates with WWII-- same reason I dig old school Star Wars.

What's weird is that I'd actually been playing a bit of Homeworld, and I ended up predicting the tactics Lohengramm and Yang used in the first couple episodes. That was fun, although it made me a little dubious of the depth of LOTGH's tactical realism if an armchair semi-military buff was outguessing some of the series' tactical geniuses in their best moments. Maybe it gets even better.

Anyone know if Central Anime has subbed or is planning to sub beyond episode 45?

-Al

They're taking their sweet time... apparently they've been splitting their time between LotGH and Mac 7, which I don't know whether to be angry about or thankful for...

And now I've got a new dilemma. It seems there's another set of subs floating around that's got much better video quality, with passable subs-- not as good as Central's but still considered very decent. I hate decisions.

-Al