This Summer, Disney/Pixar will release the sequel to their 2006 hit film Cars. Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy will return as Lightning McQueen and Mater, respectively. Joining the cast will be Michael Caine as Finn McMissile, Emily Mortimer (Rachel in Shutter Island, Nicole in The Pink Panther) as Holly Shiftwell, Jason Isaacs (Lucius in the Harry Potter series) as Siddeley, Joe Mantegna (Joey in The Godfather Part III) as Grem and Peter Jacobson (Dworkin in Law & Order) as Acer. It is unknown, however, if certain characters from the first film will return; Paul Newman (Doc Hudson), George Carlin (Filmore) and Joe Ranft (Red and Peterbilt) have passed on since then.

Still, it's Pixar. Who's not gonna go watch a Pixar film on the big screen?

Official Site Edited by areaseven

On the bright side I'd say Cars was Owen Wilson's greatest performance...

Nah, his best performance was the night he walked past myself and my wife after a Tenacious D show at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney. He drifted past us, eyes glazed over, he was so high as a kite he was walking but his feet were not touching the ground.

Total druggie.

I liked the first movie too, but I've come to realize that for people to enjoy it you have to be an auto racing fan, otherwise it can be boring. I'm looking forward to the sequel, but the trailer reminds me a little of that Speed Racer film from a couple years back, and not in a good way. Oh well... Is anybody else hoping that a cameo is made by a certain silver volkswagon beetle with red, white, and blue stripes?

Although Cars was OK, it is not one of my Favorite Pixar movies.

What they really need to do is a followup to "The Incredibles" Not only one of my favorite Animated films of all time it is also my favorite Superhero movie (except, possible, the first Superman movie with Christopher Reave)

I liked the first movie too, but I've come to realize that for people to enjoy it you have to be an auto racing fan, otherwise it can be boring. I'm looking forward to the sequel, but the trailer reminds me a little of that Speed Racer film from a couple years back, and not in a good way. Oh well... Is anybody else hoping that a cameo is made by a certain silver volkswagon beetle with red, white, and blue stripes?

Wasn't he white?

I'm looking forward to the sequel, but the trailer reminds me a little of that Speed Racer film from a couple years back, and not in a good way.

I'm definitely the only person in the world who feels this way, but I actually liked the Speed Racer movie. It wasn't necessarily good; but I liked how all the racing sections where Crazy, ridiculous hot wheels tracks.

It mostly appealed to my inner 5 year old that was entertained by anything with fast moving objects and bright, shiny colors.

Edited by anime52k8

I'm definitely the only person in the world who feels this way, but I actually liked the Speed Racer movie. It wasn't necessarily good; but I liked how all the racing sections where Crazy, ridiculous hot wheels tracks.

The racing was one of the better parts of the movie, along with the characters (even the minor villains) looking a LOT like their animated counterparts. The problem with the racing scenes for me was that it literally made me nasueus. If they could have toned it down just a bit (and this goes for almost every action movie these days) then it would have been better. Script wise the movie was garbage though.

Yeah, I felt that Cars was the weakest, by far, of all the Pixar films. It was too long and not very entertaining. It seems most of the film was dedicated to showing off their progress in CGI, instead of good storytelling.

I'll pass. I probably won't even rent it.

Yes

I guess I fall into the minority when I say I actually enjoyed Cars--and I don't like NASCAR. I figured this one and The Incredibles were the best candidates for sequels; but I also thought that Pixar's unofficial policy was to make all their films one-shot deals? (with the exception of Toy Story)

As a father of 2, I've liked most all of their films so far in that I can enjoy watching them with my kids. They usally like them well enough, and there's just enough humor and sophistication in the stories/dialogue that I as an adult won't be bored into a coma while watching it with them.

Without Newman, Carlin and Ranft though? Maybe they should just leave this one alone.

Hmm--not sure I like this shift in Pixar's priorities, the "Disney-ization" of their thinking, as it were: "sorry folks, there's profit to be had!" <_<

Edited by reddsun1

• 2 months later...

Cars wasn't bad, but still the weakest of the pixar movies.

This one looks worse.

I don't like hillbilly humor, stupid people irritate me, and the hillbilly thing is just a symbol of a group that should just be put to sleep.

...and a toilet joke... ha.. ha.. ha... Wow, is that how low they have to go now? I didn't see any gimmicks like this in UP.

Edited by Agent ONE

yes, "hillbilly chic" seems to be wearing thin with Hollywood/TV; they're just squeezing every dollar they can get out of it 'til the next thing comes along.

"Larry the Cable Guy" has his own show on one of the History channels, but I don't see it lasting more than a season. LOL, I did catch a few mins of one ep. where he was visiting Bill Elliott's race shop. Of course, moonshine references/jokes abounded (surprise) <_< But there was one bit, where Bill took him out back for a spin in an old beater Mustang (son's car?), and proceeded to do some hooning, donuts and such; it scared Larry so bad, he came out of character. Now THAT was funny. :lol:

...and a toilet joke... ha.. ha.. ha... Wow, is that how low they have to go now? I didn't see any gimmicks like this in UP.

Oh but of course. 'Cause it's from for-unn culture, it must automatically = stupid and funny. <_<

I've never given thought to the merits of having a mini-hosing to clean yourself after using the loo vs more *ahem* traditional methods. Is one reputed to be more hygeinic than the other? Honestly, when one thinks about it: if you really observed the behavior of fellow patrons in public restrooms, you'd probably want to sequester yourself at home and never eat out again...

Edited by reddsun1

• 3 months later...

I seem to be one of the few adults who really liked the first one a lot---and I didn't like this one. It's all-Mater, all the time. (and I even like the "Mater's tall tales" shorts). Way too much physical/slapstick comedy, or dare I say it--sophomoric/bathroom humor puns. (literally, in some cases). None of the "witty writing that works on multiple levels for all ages" that characterizes most Pixar films.

I saw it. It sucked. It's all piss and fart jokes with the odd bit of chop suey racial humor thrown in, not offensive but definitely made me wonder what the he'll those guys at pixar were thinking.

It was boring, crass and and just an obvious, cynical ch grab designed to get kids to buy the toy line,

Way too much physical/slapstick comedy, or dare I say it--sophomoric/bathroom humor puns. (literally, in some cases).

They should've had those "urban" robot twins in TF2 guest star or at least cameo in this movie...

Wow guys harsh. My fiancee and I really liked this one. I really liked the attention to other forms of racing. While they didnt explain some aspects, due to length of time and the side story of Mater's spy adventures, It was nice to see real race cars. F1, rally, LeMans Gran Touring, JGTC etc.

also I dont know if it is a marketing thing, but I saw a LOT more name brand cars. Like there was an Audi and a Honda Insight plus other cars i cant name right now. Besides the obvious ones. I mean cars in the background.

I saw it today, I liked it. It wasn't brilliant or a shinning example of Pixar's best work, but it was cute and funny. Honestly, even if it is the weakest Pixar film to date (and I disagree that it was), it's still better children's movies or action-comady-whatever crap aimed at adults.

I saw it today, I liked it. It wasn't brilliant or a shinning example of Pixar's best work, but it was cute and funny. Honestly, even if it is the weakest Pixar film to date (and I disagree that it was), it's still better children's movies or action-comady-whatever crap aimed at adults.

::cough::bugs life::cough::: :)