Don't know If I write this in time for you to read it, but since you're in the Netherlands I suggest you going for the Ultimate Edition which was released by Manga UK in 2002. That one has both the OVA and Film versions of Macross Plus and the ova looks better than in the standard release. The ultimate edition is still available on Amazon UK and on the Bay some places at a very, very reasonable price. Hope this helps.

Ok, well I already bought it because I'm not a person with a lot of patience but it's still good to know there is a difference in quality. So when I find the new version for a good price I could always get that one aswell. After all I'm going for a collection here :p

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched episode 30 of SDF and it appears those beings don't even know what a baby is.

Also I would like to know why the fold system has a limited use. After folding a few times they say it probably won't be able to fold again. Why is this?

There are some Factory Satellites that are dedicated exclusively to cloning Zentraadi (apparently they're the smaller sized FS).

The fold navigation system they're referring to is the Factory Satellite they captured. It's in a rather poor state of disrepair. Hence the reason why not only will the fold navigation system break down, but also the Regaado line continually breaks down.

There are some Factory Satellites that are dedicated exclusively to cloning Zentraadi (apparently they're the smaller sized FS).

The fold navigation system they're referring to is the Factory Satellite they captured. It's in a rather poor state of disrepair. Hence the reason why not only will the fold navigation system break down, but also the Regaado line continually breaks down.

Thanks, I forgot this was a faulty satellite they captured :)

Do I need to draw you a picture?

Please let me draw you a picture. :p

Please do enlighten us with your magic art of drawing :p

I guess the mods really don't like new threads...

There's a difference between not liking a thread and threads about a subject that could literally be answered in a few posts, thereby wasting board space with thread that would inevitably fall back into the abyss of pages. Your thread was the latter. That's what this thread is for and Benson13 said.

Also there is a whole thread dedicated to this that you can throw any random question into and have the experts answer.

As the slogan goes, "You got questions. We got answers." :D

The liner notes for Macross mention that Noboru Ishiguro did the voice for Sho Blackstone in episode 21 of Macross. Is his character the moustached announcer with glasses & striped tie that introduces Kaifun and Minmay at the movie premier?

Yes (and he's not an announcer, he's the director of "Shao Pai Long"). He also reprises the role on the "Miss DJ" album.

And, uh, this should probably be in the newbie thread, so don't be surprised if it's moved.

Edited by Gubaba

• 2 weeks later...

This question is probably unanswerable, but I recently noticed that some of the dialogue in FB2012 (notably in the middle of "Ai Oboeteimasuka") isn't from DYRL. At one point, Misa says "An alien song?" and Hikaru says "Song...?" Soon after, Misa says "Forever, anywhere, anytime... Just a simple love song." The second part of that sentence is in the movie, but the first isn't.

I wonder if these are just bits of dialogue left on the cutting room floor after making the movie, or if they actually brought Mika Doi and Arihiro Hase back into the studio to record a couple of extra lines.

Good catch! If you could find a copy of the movie's script book, the answer might be in there. Macross script books occassionally pop up in auctions, and whenever they do, they usually don't go for that much.

True.

Or, I could just ask Renato, since as far as I can tell, he owns pretty much everything DYRL-related (except the novel, which I loaned to him).

Hmm, Misa yelling at someone (probably Hikaru), that looks about right. Minmay's legs... wasn't that what caught Roy's attention all the way back in episode 1?

Pretty sure it was her ass... :lol:

So this has been bugging me since i got my M and M VF 22s. In Macross Plus the valks where the YF-19 and YF-21. In Macross 7 The 19 got it's VF designation but remained 19 but the YF-21 became the VF-22. I know they made changes to the flight control system of the 21 but enough to change it to a new model of Valk? I think that the 19 has change more cosmetically and has many different variations yet still only has the designation of 19.

Does anyone know why?

Brace for merge into the Newbie Thread...

Anyway, in Macross as in the real world, the numbering system isn't always perfectly sequential. Some numbers get skipped because they were issued to prototypes that didn't pan out, or out-of-sequence designations were issued under various circumstances like planes being transferred from one series to another, or simply assigned the manufacturer's model number. The VF-20 number may have been taken by an unsuccessful predecessor to the YF-21, intentionally left blank in the event further development from the YF-19 designated assigning a fresh number, etc.

I'm certain Talos will show up to chime in on the real-world tri-service designation system, but I'd assume that the reason the YF-21 ended up as VF-22 was because the major design changes occurred BEFORE mass-production, whereas the VF-19A was, in most respects, a mass-produced YF-19, and the aerodynamically different E/F/P/S types came along later and didn't change the basic airframe articulation or anything like that.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

That all makes perfect sense, but why would the 19 stay the 19 yet the 21 became a 22?

Ah... lol, guess my edit didn't come fast enough.

My guess, and this is only a guess, was that the VF-19A (initial mass production type) was in most respects identical to the YF-19 prototype, while they made some fairly significant changes to the YF-21 (it basically absorbed the super packs it had in the OVA) before it became the production-approved VF-22. The changes in the VF-19's aerodynamic profile in the later mass production types (F/S, etc.) didn't change the transformation or the airframe itself in any significant way, it just optimized an existing airframe for space operations and addressed some control issues, so it didn't really merit a new number.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Bah, Seto, I'm not that predictable!

Let's see, though. Hmm, designations...

Well, there is and has been plenty of real life examples of them changing things arbitrarely, skipping numbes, etc, etc. For instance, the LWF competition between the GD F-16 and Northrop F-17 for the USAF resulted in the F-16 winning. The F-17 continued on, though. Northrop partnered with McDonnell-Douglas and reengineered the plane to become the F/A-18 we all know and love.

The ATF competition Macross Plus was based on, between the F-22 and F-23, resulted in the F-22 winning. Everything after F-23 was skipped though, until you get to the JSF competition between the X-32 and X-35, taking the next two available numbers in the Experimental category and not the fighter one. When the X-35 won, instead of making it the F-24, they flopped the letter and made it the F-35 Lightning II (namesake of the future VF-4 Lightning III). Of course, the only numbers before -24 that were skipped were F-13 (probably superstitious reasons) and F-19. Ironic, ain't it?

Seto's probably right on the money. The initial VF-19A was very, very similar to the YF-19. Much more then even the VF-22 was to the YF-21. By the time the significant changes (VF-19F/S/P/kai) happened, the model had already been in production. It's similar to the F-18 again, with the F-18E/F/EA-18G all still numbered 18 and not 19, but having very few parts that are directly compatible. They are something like 17% overall larger then the F/A-18A-D.

So yeah, all of that can be surmised in a nice and simple, "It's arbitrary, just like the real world."

And of course I find out it merged while hitting reply....