I see. Still if the ultimate expression of this idea is just the stuff we see in 7, I have to wonder how it was translated from Plus's background material to 7. The idea is unimportant to Plus since they were already mixing aesthetics and ideas, so was it just a little tidbit the 7 writers picked up on or more a general idea that was to be a part of both projects at once?

No, I think Kawamori wanted it specifically that way.

yeah but since when do english (or spanish) speaking fans care about what he says emot-v.gif

he just wants to ruin Macross for everyone amirite

While DYRL is a movie with Macross, I highly doubt it's because of Macross 7's script. Macross: A Future Chronicle actually came out about two months prior to Macross 7. And IIRC, Macross: A Future Chronicle featured some preliminary designs for Mylene that were ultimately scrubbed, which tells me that it was made while Macross 7 was still in preproduction.

Well...but the main image they show from Plus in "A Future Chronicle" is an early animatic for Sharon's earring...I think it was a stylistic decision rather than proof that 7 was in preproduction.

I see. Still if the ultimate expression of this idea is just the stuff we see in 7, I have to wonder how it was translated from Plus's background material to 7. The idea is unimportant to Plus since they were already mixing aesthetics and ideas, so was it just a little tidbit the 7 writers picked up on or more a general idea that was to be a part of both projects at once?

Well, remember that Plus and 7 were developed together (and were supposed to be just two parts of a three-part Macross revival...the third part being the live-action Hollywood movie, Final Outpost Earth). So they took the opportunity to solidify the timeline, and came up with "DYRL is just a movie" rationale. Apart from showing up in "A Future Chronicle," the same info shows up in the timeline at the back of each volume of Macross 7 TRASH. So it's not really from the background materials for Plus, it's just from an attempt to make a standard timeline for Macross in general.

A funny note about this...Sukehiro Tomita (a scriptwriter for SDFM, and THE scriptwriter for DYRL and Macross II) wrote a series of five Macross II novels from '92 to '94. In the final book, he has an afterword where he basically comes about and says, "Well, this entire continuity is getting tossed out the window, so please enjoy Macross Plus and 7 when they debut later this year!"

(Don't feel too bad for him, though...he was still gainfully employed as the script editor and head scriptwriter of Macross 7.)

Exactly. With all the games and other junk that had come out prior to M7/Plus, they obviously agreed that it was time to set some things in stone in order to make the new stories more coherent with each other. Unfortunately, the content of each show differs stylistically so drastically that you have people on MW still trying to sort out the mess 20 years after the fact. The Macross timeline appears on single or double pages almost everywhere in the late 90s print material, and the compendium no doubt took it from these.

Essentially, i believe they needed DYRL to "go" somewhere, without demoting it to "some other universe" like MacII, so it was a movie-within-a-movie.

In what year? 2090?

I read it in a Macross Ace vol 01.

According to Macross II's creators, it's set in 2092.

Macross Ace wasn't the first publication to get the date wrong for the Macross II: Lovers Again OVA either. In the early 90's, the American licensee distributing Macross II got it into their heads that the OVA was set in 2089, a number which was picked up by the authors of the Macross II role-playing game (Palladium Books) and the distributors of the Macross II manga (Viz Media). In Macross Chronicle's timeline sheet for Macross II, the date is also listed incorrectly as 2091... which might have been a joke at the OVA's relationship to Gundam, by placing it in the year 0079 on the New Era calendar.

Hikaru, the lyrics, not the name... At one point in one of Minmay's songs(*) she says something that sounds just like "Hikaru". The lyrics shown on screen makes it clear she is not saying Hikaru's name - anyone know the translation of what she is saying at that point of the song?

(*) forget which song, can't look it up at the moment, and if I don't post this now I'll forget to ask again - and I've been forgetting for years now...

(**) - I'm pretty sure the song is "Angel Paints" (or something like that...) from FlashBack 2012

Edited by Dynaman

Hikaru, the lyrics, not the name... At one point in one of Minmay's songs(*) she says something that sounds just like "Hikaru". The lyrics shown on screen makes it clear she is not saying Hikaru's name - anyone know the translation of what she is saying at that point of the song?

(*) forget which song, can't look it up at the moment, and if I don't post this now I'll forget to ask again - and I've been forgetting for years now...

(**) - I'm pretty sure the song is "Angel Paints" (or something like that...) from FlashBack 2012

If it's the moment I'm thinking of, she says "Hikari," which is very close to "Hikaru." They both mean "light" or "shining."

hi guys i 'm just wondering what happen to the skull skwadron after the missing of hikaru and misa.. i know that hikaru went with as the leader of skull skuadron with the megaroad.. and then what happen after that? the reason i'm asking this coz i saw a picture of vf 19 with marking of skull skuadron in variable fighter master file..

Edited by valid

hi guys i 'm just wondering what happen to the skull skwadron after the missing of hikaru and misa.. i know that hikaru went with as the leader of skull skuadron with the megaroad.. and then what happen after that? the reason i'm asking this coz i saw a picture of vf 19 with marking of skull skuadron in variable file master file..

Well, for starters, Variable Fighter Master File isn't part of the official Macross setting... the note on the credits page at the back of the book says as much.

As far as Skull squadron's status in the official setting is concerned, all I've got for you is a great big shrug. Hikuru's skull squad is, AFAIK, still MIA along with the rest of the forces attached to Megaroad-01. Certain other squadrons were likely named after it later on, such as Max and Milia's "Dancing Skulls" and S.M.S.'s Skull team, but I don't think we've ever seen anything of the real Skull squadron since Flashback 2012.

Well, for starters, Variable Fighter Master File isn't part of the official Macross setting... the note on the credits page at the back of the book says as much.

As far as Skull squadron's status in the official setting is concerned, all I've got for you is a great big shrug. Hikuru's skull squad is, AFAIK, still MIA along with the rest of the forces attached to Megaroad-01. Certain other squadrons were likely named after it later on, such as Max and Milia's "Dancing Skulls" and S.M.S.'s Skull team, but I don't think we've ever seen anything of the real Skull squadron since Flashback 2012.

i c .. tkyu for your info.. :D

Hello, sorry to be asking this, it prob been asked but i coudnt find a tread about it.

was just wondering if any of you would do me, the honor to say in what order i should watch macross in =) in advance thanks

Production order:

* Super Dimension Fortress Macross

* Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

* Flashback 2012 (optional)

* Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again

* Macross Plus

* Macross 7

* Macross Dynamite 7

* Macross Zero

* Macross Frontier (TV Series) (or the Macross Frontier movies)

Chronological story order:

* Macross Zero

* Super Dimension Fortress Macross or Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

* Macross Plus

* Macross 7

* Macross Dynamite 7

And because it doesn't fit with the main chronological story:

Pick your poison.

Did that scientist guy from SDFM (the one that came up with the transformation and the pinpoint barrier) ever have a name? I think he was called Lang or Land in that other show...

I'm wondering because

he's been replaced by some chick named Gina something in Macross: The First

No he never had a name.

No he never had a name.

Maybe you can help with this... I was looking at said replacement chief engineer just the other day with Talos, and we can't agree how her surname should be romanized. Is it "Bartlow" (British) or "Bartolo" (Italian)?

Production order:

* Super Dimension Fortress Macross

* Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

* Macross Plus

* Macross 7

* Macross Dynamite 7

* Macross Zero

Chronological story order:

* Macross Zero

* Super Dimension Fortress Macross or Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

* Macross Plus

* Macross 7

* Macross Dynamite 7

And because it doesn't fit with the main chronological story:

Pick your poison.

Cheers that help alot =)

Maybe you can help with this... I was looking at said replacement chief engineer just the other day with Talos, and we can't agree how her surname should be romanized. Is it "Bartlow" (British) or "Bartolo" (Italian)?

Xena/Gina Paltrow?

Along with "Emma Granger" the Apollo Team operator from the PS2 game, and "Timothy Daldanton" the Black Rainbow terrorist pilot from VF-x2, Macross sidestory character names seem to have a pattern of ripping off RL celebrity names. I suppose that does spare us from ridiculous Gundam names, Lol.

I'm more-or-less with Hulagu...I figured it was "Gina Baltrow."

I was wondering where you'd disppeared to, but welcome back. As has been discussed already, you just have to see everything as an "interpretation" of an event, as in some kind of movie based on that event. When you watch, for example, Band of Brothers, you know that what happens in that show is pretty accurate. You are also sure that a few things were thrown in for drama or excitement, what have you... Just look at the overall picture. We know that the Frontier Fleet fought against the Vajra and had problems in dealing with the Galaxy fleet. Eventually, they overcame their adversaries and settled on the planet that the Vajra had inhabited before them.

Okay, so is it...

Klan Klan, Klan Klang or Klan Klein?

...or at least, which is the more popular one out of the three? XD

Klan Klein's more of a fan nickname. Klein means "small" in German, so it was a clever way to differentiate her loli Miclone form from her Maclone one, nothing more. I know I've seen it used as such.

Okay, so is it...

"Klan Klang" is how it's usually romanized in official publications. (IIRC, a literal reading of the kana for her name is "Klan Klan")

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Okay, so is it...

...or at least, which is the more popular one out of the three? XD

You forgot

Kuran Kuran, Kulan Kulan, Kuran Kulan, Kulan, Kuran, Kran Kran, Klan Kran, Kran Klan, Kran Krang, Klan Krang, Kran Klang, Kran Krein, Klan Krein, and Kran Klein.

Oh, the possibilities!

"Klan Klang" is how it's usually romanized in official publications. (IIRC, a literal reading of the kana for her name is "Klan Klan")

Standard romanizations are:

Hepburn: Kuran Kuran

Both Nihon-shiki and Kunrei-shiki are: Kuran Kuran (or Kuran'kuran)