I don't know if this is really a Macross movie or a continuity, but I remember watching this on FEN (Far East Network PI, now called AFN, back when the US military bases were present in the Philippines as late as 1991) as a schoolkid, when this film begins with a wedding ceremony, and I could readily recognize Hikaru and Misa right there.

Is this DYRL?

Edited by soul.assassin

I still wonder sometimes, why there are no single engine VF's in Macross.

Not really good if the single nuke engine blows out in deep space, which is why it's practical for all naval aviation aircraft to have two engines (with the other to serve as a spare at 50% max power should either one fails), and thus we're always seeing VFs with twin engines.

Not really good if the single nuke engine blows out in deep space, which is why it's practical for all naval aviation aircraft to have two engines (with the other to serve as a spare at 50% max power should either one fails), and thus we're always seeing VFs with twin engines.

Yes, which is one of the concerns with the F-35 Lightning II's. They have a singe engine and if it goes, you could not only loose the plane, but the highly skilled pilot as well. Considering the fighter is pushing the $100m mark that will get expensive!

Anyway, on to my own question.

Have the specifications of the Island "pill" ships from Frontier been released? They seem to be around the 5000m x 1000m size, but it is hard to say.

Anyone know?

Have the specifications of the Island "pill" ships from Frontier been released? They seem to be around the 5000m x 1000m size, but it is hard to say.

Anyone know?

Yeah, they have... 8km x 3km, IIRC.

Nothing "Macross" afaik but then again Frontier wasn't announced until spring of 2008 and the first episode was aired in December. Technically Frontier was the 25th anniversary show even though actually started airing in August of 2009...

Edited by Zinjo

Okay. Just checking. I'm rewatching Frontier (and probably Plus. And Zero. And DYRL) in preparation for a possible Macross PnPRPG campaign, and got thinking about when we might see more Macross. The big 30TH ANNIVERSARY banner at the top of the forum momentary got my hopes up that something might be in development. Big West does seem to like hitting the anniversary years. Wasn't Plus and 7 released for the 15th Anniversary? and Zero for the 20th?

Edited by The Adventurer

Nothing "Macross" afaik but then again Frontier wasn't announced until spring of 2008 and the first episode was aired in December. Technically Frontier was the 25th anniversary show even though actually started airing in August of 2009...

Wrong.

The annoucement was in late 2006, IIRC, with the contest won by Nakajima.

The first episode (Deculture edition) was aired for Christmas 2007 and the TV series began in spring 2008.

Wasn't Plus and 7 released for the 15th Anniversary? and Zero for the 20th?

Dynamite 7 for the 15th.

Edited by Jefferson

Has it ever been establish how fast island cluster colonization ships (7 or Frontier, either one) travel through space? Or what kind of propulsion system they utilize? I'm trying to figure out what kind of range a colony cluster might have if their fold system was out of commission. (again, for an RPG I'm planning)

Edited by The Adventurer

Has it ever been establish how fast island cluster colonization ships (7 or Frontier, either one) travel through space?

No. The go as fast as they want. But they're traveling relatively slow because they need to hunt for resources and get a look at the layout of the land. Think of it this way, they can't see all the landmarks or find all rest stops driving at 80-100mph...

Or what kind of propulsion system they utilize?

Officially? No. But it's probably some thermonuclear reactor and some gold-olde OTM heat pile cluster system.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of range a colony cluster might have if their fold system was out of commission.

Practically unlimited. Contrary to popular belief, they don't fold very often. As I said above, they really can't get any resources or survey the area in fold space.

Practically unlimited.

While true that the ship might be able to make it anywhere as long as they continue to reinforce their closed system environment with raw resources from surrounding celestial bodies. And even if they could travel 99% of light speed (which I doubt) on sub-light engines. Suddenly a colonization trip that was going to take 1 or maybe 2 generations to find a new habitable world to call home, suddenly becomes a true generation ship of many 100s of generations. I mean, the ships are pretty robust and could sustain that if society doesn't break down in the face of such a crisis. But the trip is definitely going take much much longer to reach its goal.

Edited by The Adventurer

While true that the ship might be able to make it anywhere as long as they continue to reinforce their closed system environment with raw resources from surrounding celestial bodies. And even if they could travel 99% of light speed (which I doubt) on sub-light engines. Suddenly a colonization trip that was going to take 1 or maybe 2 generations to find a new habitable world to call home, suddenly becomes a true generation ship of many 100s of generations. I mean, the ships are pretty robust and could sustain that if society doesn't break down in the face of such a crisis. But the trip is definitely going take much much longer to reach its goal.

Well, you asked. If you didn't like the answer why did you ask in the first place? As I said, they're not folding every minute the leave port. At the start of the show, Frontier has been away from its point-of-origin for almost 19 years. I'm pretty sure things have broken down during that time such that they've either replaced it with an existing unit or built a new one from scratch, which they can do. And I already noted they're not spending every waking moment in fold. Heck, far from it. It's gonna take a few generations to find a new world? Yeah. What do you think they and every other emigrant fleet has been doing out there? They certainly haven't been spending it in fold for starters. These fleets are designed for long distance, hence the phrase "super-long distance immigration fleet".

Well, you asked. If you didn't like the answer why did you ask in the first place?

Sorry, you seemed to suggest that the fleets might move rapidly enough out of fold to actually cover significant celestial distance. I guess I sort of misinterpreted what you meant by 'practically unlimited' in terms of speed and range. And actually I DO like the answer, because even with transforming robots and cities in space certain hard laws of physics still apply.

As I said, they're not folding every minute the leave port. At the start of the show, Frontier has been away from its point-of-origin for almost 19 years. I'm pretty sure things have broken down during that time such that they've either replaced it with an existing unit or built a new one from scratch, which they can do. And I already noted they're not spending every waking moment in fold. Heck, far from it. It's gonna take a few generations to find a new world? Yeah. What do you think they and every other emigrant fleet has been doing out there? They certainly haven't been spending it in fold for starters. These fleets are designed for long distance, hence the phrase "super-long distance immigration fleet".

Oh I understand that they don't fold at every oppertunity. But I got the sense that they might do it fairly regularly. At least once every 5 years or so. I mean, once you arrive in a region of space you want to probe for A)resources B)habitable worlds it doesn't take an unlimited time to do that. Once you've done your survey, and determined the location not suitable for long term habitation, you batten down the hatches and jump a few thousand more light-years away and start surveying again. So on and so fourth until an ideal habitable world is found to become a permanent home.

I'm just checking if my logic there is verified by what the shows establishes, and maybe get some hard numbers. I mean, in Frontier you get the sense that the ship is traveling vast distances outside of fold, which strikes me as improbable. Unless they're tooling around a single Solar System until they make their unplanned super long range space fold in the third act.

I'm just checking if my logic there is verified by what the shows establishes, and maybe get some hard numbers. I mean, in Frontier you get the sense that the ship is traveling vast distances outside of fold, which strikes me as improbable. Unless they're tooling around a single Solar System until they make their unplanned super long range space fold in the third act.

Well...they DO seem to hang around that gas giant for an awfully long time...

Has it ever been establish how fast island cluster colonization ships (7 or Frontier, either one) travel through space? Or what kind of propulsion system they utilize? I'm trying to figure out what kind of range a colony cluster might have if their fold system was out of commission. (again, for an RPG I'm planning)

Official setting information aside, someone has already attempted that for RPGing purposes: http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/newmacross.html

(don't know what system you're planning on using, but the base statistics should be convertible)

Well...they DO seem to hang around that gas giant for an awfully long time...

Collecting Tabanna gas and planning their next move based on SMS input or something like that.

Oh I understand that they don't fold at every oppertunity. But I got the sense that they might do it fairly regularly. At least once every 5 years or so. I mean, once you arrive in a region of space you want to probe for A)resources B)habitable worlds it doesn't take an unlimited time to do that. Once you've done your survey, and determined the location not suitable for long term habitation, you batten down the hatches and jump a few thousand more light-years away and start surveying again. So on and so fourth until an ideal habitable world is found to become a permanent home.

It's not like Stargate Universe... And the road maps always need updates. Today's planet is tomorrow's asteroid belt.

Official setting information aside, someone has already attempted that for RPGing purposes: http://unsd.macrossr...newmacross.html

(don't know what system you're planning on using, but the base statistics should be convertible)

Okay, that's the Macross 7, but still very useful for my game to extrapolate from. Thanks for directing me too it.

Okay, that's the Macross 7, but still very useful for my game to extrapolate from. Thanks for directing me too it.

Correction: New Macross class super long range emigrant vessels. Which is what the Island Cluster class is a derivative of (Battle class (basically the same as in M7) + Island class city ship (basically a City class ship x10).

I have an old fandom question. Did the whole "DYRL is a movie within Macross" or the "DYRL visuals with TV story is canon" thing come from anywhere specific or was that just internet fandom?

Plus and 7 never really say anything about this issue (because it doesn't matter lol ) so I'm a bit confused to where this idea comes from. Did people just misunderstand what Miho and Sally were talking about during the first episode of Macross 7?

Edited by VF5SS

I have an old fandom question. Did the whole "DYRL is a movie within Macross" or the "DYRL visuals with TV story is canon" thing come from anywhere specific or was that just internet fandom?

Well, the whole "DYRL is a movie within Macross" thing comes, in part, from the Macross 7 television series... the cast party for that "Lynn Minmay Story" docu-drama they're filming in-series makes reference to it (visually), and there's a mix of designs from DYRL and the original series present as well (DYRL Britai next to series Kamjin, etc.). Macross 7: the Galaxy is Calling Me! had posters for the movie show up in Emilia's "house" as well. A couple of print sources also talk about it, giving details of when the movie was filmed in-universe and, to a certain extent, how it was filmed... a West Point-class training ship standing in for DYRL Boddole Zer's mothership, etc.

As far as the mixing of DYRL and original series design aesthetics, I don't think "the powers that be" have ever really given any kind of comprehensive answer. I'm not sure if Macross 7 was the main source of it, but there are several official answers as to why certain DYRL visuals were adopted... such as Exsedol's DYRL appearance being used in the series, or the series version VF-1 being an early production block and the DYRL version being a later block. I don't think we really need a statement direct from the hory froating head for this one... it happens too often and in too many titles on the official timeline for there to be any doubt as to whether that's the case. (After all, we started seeing designs from the original series and DYRL used side-by-side back when we saw DYRL Nousjadeul-Gers holding series VF-1Js "hostage" on the target range in the Macross Plus OVA, and the tendency to mix and match designs only got more blatant and prolific as time went on.)

Plus and 7 never really say anything about this issue (because it doesn't matter lol ) so I'm a bit confused to where this idea comes from. Did people just misunderstand what Miho and Sally were talking about during the first episode of Macross 7?

Volume 1 of Macross Plus featured an extra called "Macross: A Future Chronicle" giving the basic rundown of the timeline until Plus and 7. It said specifically that DYRL was a movie made in 2030-something. It is assumed this is what Miho and Sally were talking about in episode 1 of Mac7 (though how many kids watching got the reference is uncertain...). The whole "MacII is set in a parallel universe" thing is cemented here, too.

As for the "DYRL visuals with TV story is canon"... well, the jury's still out on that one.

So what it sounds like to me is there's there's truth to DYRL is a movie within Macross (but it's not our DYRL right?) but most of that seems to stem from what amounted to a silly joke in Macross 7. I mean I would assume there was some communication between people working on Plus and 7 so perhaps that little nugget from the script of 7 got into Plus's extra material.

Either way, it's kind of funny isn't it?

No, I think Kawamori wanted it specifically that way.

As for it being "our" DYRL or not, the Mac Plus extra definitely described it as being the same as what we know as DYRL, but the "clips" seen in M7 are different, with space battles between Max and Millia. I don't know, I figured that they just didn't want to reuse the DYRL footage and decided that since they were going to reanimate stuff anyway, they might as well change the setting a little. I believe that in essence it's supposed to be the same movie.

So what it sounds like to me is there's there's truth to DYRL is a movie within Macross (but it's not our DYRL right?) but most of that seems to stem from what amounted to a silly joke in Macross 7. I mean I would assume there was some communication between people working on Plus and 7 so perhaps that little nugget from the script of 7 got into Plus's extra material.

While DYRL is a movie with Macross, I highly doubt it's because of Macross 7's script. Macross: A Future Chronicle actually came out about two months prior to Macross 7. And IIRC, Macross: A Future Chronicle featured some preliminary designs for Mylene that were ultimately scrubbed, which tells me that it was made while Macross 7 was still in preproduction.