There's a decent bit about it in one of the technology sheets in Macross Chronicle, ...

... Either way, fold travel is fast...

Basically yes. The only thing I think that needs to be added is the amount of energy needed to perform the fold. The short answer is that it's not clear, but implications are that the farther you want to travel, the more energy is required; and most every vehicle does not have the ability to generate large amounts of energy on a sustained basis.

What is the average distance of a fold? Beyond the ones S.K. mentioned + energy generation limitations, there is only one other factor: maps or the lack thereof. One can't really fold into or through areas of unexplored space without great risk.

Bear ye in mind, that's 18-24 hours of objective time in real space...

Basically no.

"The difference of the subjectivity [one's opinion] and objectivity of time is only a little"

Or, in clearer English: there's only a small difference between the objective and subjective passage of time.

Also:

"Super Fold Booster... (With it) there is no difference in the subjectivity and objectivity of time (spent in fold), and it is said that the travel time in the area of space that had been put to use (by mankind) was reduced to a tenth."

Or, in clearer English: there's no difference in the objective and subjective passage of time, and folds are a couple orders of magnitude faster.

Both quotes from Technology: Overtechnology 04b

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2338.msg35077#msg35077

(wish I had more of it posted...)

Edited by sketchley

[...] there is only one other factor: maps or the lack thereof. One can't really fold into or through areas of unexplored space without great risk.

Yep... which is, in part, why the emigration fleets send advance forces ahead of the main body of the fleet to scout things out... IIRC, this is what the mass-produced Macross-class ships were originally used for.

"The difference of the subjectivity [one's opinion] and objectivity of time is only a little"

Or, in clearer English: there's only a small difference between the objective and subjective passage of time.

Yes, the Macross Chronicle technology sheet says as much... but vague qualitative measurements like "only a little" and "small" are not terribly helpful if you're trying to approximate how fast you're really going when you travel by space fold. (Technically, you wouldn't be moving at all, but you get my meaning.) The meaning of things like "only a little" and "small" vary from person to person, which is why I prefer to err on the side of caution and use the few specific, quantitative measurements from the series dialogue.

I tried to favor both Misa's and Luca's numbers, but Luca's are skewed somewhat by the fold faults/dislocations that turn what Leon says would be an almost instantaneous trip into a day-long transit.

Did the VF-4 have any FAST Packs available for it?

Yes and no. In the DYRL/Macross II 'verse, the VF-4 Siren has a set of FAST packs that are similar to the VF-1s. There aren't any canon designs for the main timeline's VF-4 Lightning III, though sketchley did a nice interpretation of one.

Yes and no. In the DYRL/Macross II 'verse, the VF-4 Siren has a set of FAST packs that are similar to the VF-1s. There aren't any canon designs for the main timeline's VF-4 Lightning III, though sketchley did a nice interpretation of one.

The status of VF-4 Super Parts as part of the Official Setting of the Studio Nue timelineare is also unclear. Simply put:

There are VF-4 FAST Packs for the Macross II version. But it must be kept in mind that this version of the VF-4 also has a totally different transformation mechanism, and subsequently different GERWALK and battroid modes.

There are VF-4 Super Parts for the Studio Nue timeline penned by Kawamori Shouji, but there official status is unconfirmed. At best they are indirectly alluded to in Macross Chronicle.

There is also a streamlined, armless and unable to transform to battroid VF-4 variant in the Studio Nue official setting.

Images of the streamlined version are available in Macross the Ride, as well as in the same picture with the large booster super parts here: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/Statistics/VF-4/VF-4.html#OPTIONAL_SYSTEMS

There are VF-4 FAST Packs for the Macross II version. But it must be kept in mind that this version of the VF-4 also has a totally different transformation mechanism, and subsequently different GERWALK and battroid modes.

Actually, there are both Super Packs and Strike Packs for the DYRL/II-verse's VF-4 Siren... the former being a fairly traditional set of Super Packs that rest between the engine nacelles in fighter mode, and the latter being a similarly mounted set of packs which are different from the conventional "Strike" setup in that they contain funnels rather than a beam cannon.

Funnels in the Gundam sense?

Well, yes and no... they're called funnels and they largely work like Gundam's funnels, but they're not controlled via psycommu. The funnels used on the Macross II continuity's VF-4 Siren are controlled by the fighter's fire-control system, kind of like the GN Fangs in Gundam 00. Essentially, they're the ancestors of the Valkyrie II's auto-attacker bits from the Macross II OVA. (There are actually lots of Gundam references buried in Macross II... probably something to do with the mechanical designers having worked on Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack)

has anyone finally come up with the actual english pronuciation of "Macross"? ie: Mac Ross, muh Cross, May cross, Robote...oops! :ph34r:

just listen to the original Japanese SDFM opening theme;

"MAW-KUU-LOSS!! MAW-KUU-LOSS!!"

then Romanize it for for native english speakers;

"MAWCK-CROSS"

and there you pretty much have it.

myself, i personally prefer;

"MACK-CROSS"

as that is how i've grown up with it always hearing it pronounced that way

in english language dubs...

Edited by Shaorin

just listen to the original Japanese SDFM opening theme;

"MAW-KUU-LOSS!! MAW-KUU-LOSS!!"

then Romanize it for for native english speakers;

"MAWCK-CROSS"

and there you pretty much have it.

myself, i personally prefer;

"MACK-CROSS"

as that is how i've grown up with it always hearing it pronounced that way

in english language dubs...

Look...14 Japanese productions and 4 English productions call it "MAC-ross." ONE English production calls it "Muh-CROSS."

It doesn't take a genius to figure out who's right... :)

Look...14 Japanese productions and 4 English productions call it "MAC-ross." ONE English production calls it "Muh-CROSS."

It doesn't take a genius to figure out who's right... :)

By the way does Macross actually stand for anything in-series? I always assumed it's a descriptive acronymn "Macro Space Ship" from the use of the word in the OP.

It's just a cool name.

I heard some producer wanted it to be called Macbeth (MAKUBESU) so they changed one character to make it Macross (MAKUROSU)

Yeah, the original name was the Megaroad, but when it was pitched to Big West, the head of BW, Yoshimasa Ohnishi, wanted it to be changed to "Macbeth".

Edit-- Not "Muck-beth", BTW.

Edited by Renato

Yeah even Peppy got Macbeth right

so I'm trying to recall a quote from Ishiguro or Mikimoto where they said Misa was meant to be an idealized Japanese beauty. I think maybe it was in the Animeigo interview.

As if all the images of her in a kimono didn't tell us that :3

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this in some pics from New York Comic Con, apparently it was on display at the Bandai booth?? Does anyone know what Valkyrie this is? Was it ever in any of the anime? Thanks in advance!

Gubaba's dead on there. Specifically, it's Katoki Hajime's redesign of the XXXG-01W Wing Gundam from Gundam Wing. This looks to be the new Master Grade model kit of it that came out this past spring.

This is gonna be a strange one...

Okay, so I've named my PC "MACROSS"... and have the whole Macross theme with it. I have several drives on my PC... the main OS drive is called "GUNSIGHT ONE" (went for the TV series callsign instead of "Delta One" from DYRL cause it sounds cooler), the drive that has all of my video games is called "PROMETHEUS", then the main documents drive is called "DAEDALUS" and finally my backup/downloads/torrents drive is "MACROSS CITY"... finally I name by external drives and usb flash drives "ARMD-#" running from 1-6 so far, 1 being the biggest and 6 being the smallest...

Anyway, with that long explanation out of the way (haha), I have another HDD I'm not actually using at the moment but thought I'd shove into my PC since I have room for it..... but I don't know what to call it. Any ideas?

Oh and here's a pic of my PC as a bonus/show off :p

macross-01.jpg

Edited by Lynk

How does the VF-25 propel forward in gerwalk mode without the super or armor packs?

In addition to the rear rockets anime52k8 posted about, it can also use the ankle thrust reversers and other vernier rockets when "skating", and the feet/engine nozzles when in flight.