Does anyone know the origin of the term Grenade Box Protector (or a variation thereof) being the meaning of GBP-1S? I've never it in any box or toy box.

Could just be a backronym created by English speakers.

Japanese sources refer to it as either "Armoured Valkyrie" or "Protector Weapon System".

I can't site a specific source (and it might be my opinion playing tricks on me), but I believe the G stands for Ground. The P is Protector. B is less clear, but it could be Ballistic (must stress that this is probably a backronym).

Could just be a backronym created by English speakers.

I remember seeing "Grenade Box Protector" somewhere before, can't remember where though... it might've been a Palladium-ism from the 1st Ed. Robotech RPG, or maybe from Protoculture Addicts magazine.

I can't site a specific source (and it might be my opinion playing tricks on me), but I believe the G stands for Ground. The P is Protector. B is less clear, but it could be Ballistic (must stress that this is probably a backronym).

Yeah, that's the version I've seen more commonly... Ground Battle Protector. I thought it might've been one of the VF-X or VF-X2 manuals or guidebooks where I first saw that one, but I just checked and couldn't find it there.

Slightly related, but isn't this how Doom's BFG-9000 got its expanded name? Not sure if the developers actually wanted it to stand for that phrase, but perhaps it was just created by fans for shiggles.

Nah, the acronym BFG (for "Big F***ing Gun") was part of the original Doom design document by id Software co-founder Tom Hall, though they used less explicit variants in the manuals for Doom II and Quake II, where it was described as "Big Freaking Gun", in the latter case with a clear (and printed) hesitation to draw a line under their word substitution. A good (and slightly more closely related) example of a backronym like that coming into common use in a fandom is the backronym for "MOBILE SUIT" in Gundam ("Mobile Space Utility Instrument-Tactical).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Would anyone, by chance, have a higher quality version of this picture of Minmay or know where I could find one? ...Does anyone have the original for that matter? Thanks!

post-636-0-32286400-1312094348_thumb.jpg

post-636-0-64459100-1312094358_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know the origin of the term Grenade Box Protector (or a variation thereof) being the meaning of GBP-1S? I've never it in any box or toy box.

Just a minute ago, I stumbled across a reference to the term "Grenade Box Protector" in reference to the Armored Valkyrie. It's in an issue of Animag from ~1987, in a short article by James Teal that discusses the Macross development history of the VF-1. Line art for the GBP-1S printed in the article is captioned "Shinnakasu GBP-1S (grenade box protector)".

Just a minute ago, I stumbled across a reference to the term "Grenade Box Protector" in reference to the Armored Valkyrie. It's in an issue of Animag from ~1987, in a short article by James Teal that discusses the Macross development history of the VF-1. Line art for the GBP-1S printed in the article is captioned "Shinnakasu GBP-1S (grenade box protector)".

so it was just made up by someone. gotcha

Does the "J" designation for the VF-1J mean the country it's used for or something else? If the country, would there be a VF-1CA (Canada) , a VF-1K (Korea), or a VF-1USA ?

Yes and no. The J-type was a special variant developed in Japan with specific tunings, but there is no mention of other similar types in other countries.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no. The J-type was a special variant developed in Japan with specific tunings, but there is no mention of other similar types in other countries.

I read somewhere the "J" stood for "Joint Services" type. However, I am totally open to correction on this...

I read somewhere the "J" stood for "Joint Services" type. However, I am totally open to correction on this...

Nope. The J in VF-1J stands for Japan.

And as Renato said - no mention of the other specifications.

Who's involved in "Pineapple Salad" fansubs...?

Not really sure, but I think it was lame that they took a whole Galaxy Network release and packed their 2 episodes with it :(

Did they even ask permission to take all the episodes and repack them with theirs and call it a batch?

Not really sure, but I think it was lame that they took a whole Galaxy Network release and packed their 2 episodes with it :(

Did they even ask permission to take all the episodes and repack them with theirs and call it a batch?

Is that the one where they couldnt wait for Gubaba to finish, and took his episodes to use in conjuction with there crappy versions? <_< There was a big ruckus on the /m/ board on 4chan a couple weeks ago about it. :rolleyes:

Also, quick question. Are the MF movies cannon or the t.v series.If the MF movies are not, does that mean the info about Isamu joining SMS also not cannon?

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

What exactly is it that paople don't seem to understand about not posting spoiler information from the second frontier movie???

Some of us have been trying to avoid finding out anything about the movie until we get to see it for ourselves. Its really frustrating when people keep posting about this all over the forums without spoiler tags.

Could you please stop doing this?

VEFR-1.jpg

I made this scan from the Hobby Handbook but I'm wondering if the VEFR-1 lineart appears anywhere else.

That's the only lineart that exists of it, sadly.

However, in the same book, there are pictures of the model. Scan has the page number.

• 4 weeks later...
Are Zentradi and Supervision Army different biologically, or just separated as factions?

Kinda sort-of. The SA began as angry Protoculture who didn't like what the Republic was doing (think Separatists, Anti-UN, the other side of the argument). Then the Protodeviln stepped in, brainwashed them along with anybody else, like Zentradi, making the SA that we know today.

Also, was Kaifun adopted? Liner notes say he is cousin to Minmay but not through blood relation.

That's about all it says.

Did VF-X-1 look exactly like the VF-X? I know the primary difference is that the VF-X doesn't transform. I'm wondering if the Yamato VF-X, with the new parts removed, is supposed to be the VF-X-1

Well, the VF-X that we see in the original Macross series doesn't look all that different from a normal VF-1... y'know, the one we see in Claudia's little flashback sequence.