I have a question that bothers me. Where appears VF-4 A, B, C and D for the first time ?

Seriously? The VF-4A's first appearance was in the Macross: Flashback 2012 OVA. AFAIK, the VF-4B, -C, and -D types fall into that same "mentioned, but never appears" category as the VF-1B. The Macross Chronicle mechanic sheet for the VF-4A alludes to the existence of the atmospheric variants by mentioning that the upper nacelle block with the beam guns can be removed, but I think it comes from an older source since I've found mention of them going back at least as far as 2005.

I'm aware that type A appears in FB2012. The "A" denomination is an official information or not? What is the first publication in which it appears? I'm also seeking the original source for the types B, C and D. It seems that this is not in Macross Plus TIA, this time.

I'm aware that type A appears in FB2012. The "A" denomination is an official information or not? What is the first publication in which it appears? I'm also seeking the original source for the types B, C and D. It seems that this is not in Macross Plus TIA, this time.

It's "A-0", not "A". The Chronicle mentions the A-0 as a trial production version using 25% of VF-1 parts. There's no mention of B, C, or D variants. Other than that, the Chronicle just uses "VF-4 Lightning III" with no letter denominations. Then there's the VF-4G, which appears in VF-X 1 & 2. Farther down the tree we have the VF-4S and VF-4SL from Macross R.

You're right, but VF-4A appears in some (un?)official pictures, isn't it?

None that I can recall. The only things I can recall in any setting have used "VF-4...." or "VF-4G...". I really haven't seen much in terms of letter-designations for the VF-4.

In japanese wiki VF-4 page there are VF-4B, C, D. I think i saw the original source but I can not remember what it is.

We can't really trust Wikipedia since they don't list the source. At the same time, who knows if those sources are valid now. If you want to look around, then I'd suggest these references:

Macross Flashback 2012 Graffiti

Great Mechanics.DX 9

It's "A-0", not "A". The Chronicle mentions the A-0 as a trial production version using 25% of VF-1 parts. There's no mention of B, C, or D variants. Other than that, the Chronicle just uses "VF-4 Lightning III" with no letter denominations.

Uh... since Macross tends to imitate the tri-service fighter designations, VF-4A-0 would be shorthand for "VF-4A Block 0", which fits neatly with its status as the trial production model. The VF-4A-0 is just a pre-mass production VF-4A.

We can't really trust Wikipedia since they don't list the source. At the same time, who knows if those sources are valid now. If you want to look around, then I'd suggest these references:

In all likelihood, the VF-4B, -C, and -D came from the same place as the VF-4S, given that the VF-4S is supposedly a derivative of the VF-4D, and we know the VF-4S is a valid variant twice over thanks to Macross: Eternal Love Song (DYRLverse) and Macross the Ride (main timeline).

While I think I've only ever seen it actually painted on Air Force planes, indicating a block number with a hyphen after the basic model designation is a correct nomenclature AFAIK. As in, F-15E-26. So a VF-4A-0 would be a VF-4A, Block 0 like Seto Kaiba said.

Uh... since Macross tends to imitate the tri-service fighter designations, VF-4A-0 would be shorthand for "VF-4A Block 0", which fits neatly with its status as the trial production model. The VF-4A-0 is just a pre-mass production VF-4A.

It's still specifically written as "VF-4A-0", irregardless. That's what I was correcting.

And as I later replied, I don't recall "VF-4A" being used anywhere else.

not exactly a Macross question but I'm getting pretty desperate about this: Does any of you know when the last two SDF Macross remastered episodes are subbed? The guy running the subbers page "Yot-chan" posted previous batch in February!!! Afterwards there has been no news.

I was wondering if someone here would know more about it because they had a link to this page in there.

not exactly a Macross question but I'm getting pretty desperate about this: Does any of you know when the last two SDF Macross remastered episodes are subbed? The guy running the subbers page "Yot-chan" posted previous batch in February!!! Afterwards there has been no news.

I was wondering if someone here would know more about it because they had a link to this page in there.

I think Gubaba here is working with that project (if you're talking about the Galaxy Network one), so I'm sure he'd be able to answer that fully. With fansubs people tend to get busy, delays, etc. I'm sure they will come out in time. I'm looking forward to those episodes coming out too, I've been enjoying his work with them.

Edited by Talos

I think Gubaba here is working with that project (if you're talking about the Galaxy Network one), so I'm sure he'd be able to answer that fully. With fansubs people tend to get busy, delays, etc. I'm sure they will come out in time. I'm looking forward to those episodes coming out too, I've been enjoying his work with them.

yeah, I suspected someone here was involved which is why I asked... On another forum one member just recently watched Macross for the first time and for the first 35 episodes he had used remastered episodes and good god did the show look AMAZING in comparison to the version I saw. I was planning to rewatch the series but I'd rather wait for the subs to be finished...

and yeah, I know many old school series are slow to get subs but still, such a long break without any announcement or explanation is strange.

I suppose the variants B and C also came from Eternal Love Song?

No, the only variants of the VF-4 Siren depicted in Macross: Eternal Love Song are the VF-4S, VF-4SP, and VF-4ST.

yeah, I suspected someone here was involved which is why I asked... On another forum one member just recently watched Macross for the first time and for the first 35 episodes he had used remastered episodes and good god did the show look AMAZING in comparison to the version I saw. I was planning to rewatch the series but I'd rather wait for the subs to be finished...

and yeah, I know many old school series are slow to get subs but still, such a long break without any announcement or explanation is strange.

LOL, I have been waiting for the last 2 episodes also. I left a message at the galaxy network site.

Anonymous said... So close, I love your work man!

Keep it up!

Hoping to encourage him and hoping it's not perma-stalled.

And a big thanks to Gubaba!

Edited by Loop

Can someone point me to a site (or sites) where there's discussion/information about the current legal status of the entire Macross franchise, as well as the troubled history about the legal quagmire which, to this day, does not allow Frontier to be released? It's because some misguided souls thought MacF could be released in the Philippines, and I want to correct that naive assumption.

Can someone point me to a site (or sites) where there's discussion/information about the current legal status of the entire Macross franchise, as well as the troubled history about the legal quagmire which, to this day, does not allow Frontier to be released? It's because some misguided souls thought MacF could be released in the Philippines, and I want to correct that naive assumption.

This thread in Macross World's own Anime and Scifi section might be a good place to start.

Yeah...sorry about that.

It's been a number of factors, but I think the biggest one was the March 11 earthquake, which really demolished my powers of concentration for a while. There have also been a number of other issues, both personal and within the project itself. I'd like to finish it just to finish it, but it ain't gonna be soon.

Yeah...sorry about that.

It's been a number of factors, but I think the biggest one was the March 11 earthquake, which really demolished my powers of concentration for a while. There have also been a number of other issues, both personal and within the project itself. I'd like to finish it just to finish it, but it ain't gonna be soon.

Good to hear the project is still around, though. I know I'm looking forward to it, I've gotten every episode your group has released so far (plus the OSTs and such).

Thanks, bro. That'll come in handy. :)

No problem, glad I could help. If you have any specific questions to ask, that's a good thread to do it in.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah...sorry about that.

Well, as long as they'll be avalaible one day I'll be happy guy...though hopefully before Sayonara no Tsubasa comes out on BD, I've intended to rewatch the franchise next fall prior to it :lol:

You've been doing great job so far in any case :)

Again kind of tertiary, pointless question that has intrigued me for a long while.

Since we have some people here living in Japan I think getting more informed answer is possible. Namely, I've heard that Minmay is the most popular character from original Macross, especially in Japan. This is interesting because in general the western/english speaking fandom seems to clearly favour Misa overall. Is the situation really reverse in Japan?

Since we have some people here living in Japan I think getting more informed answer is possible. Namely, I've heard that Minmay is the most popular character from original Macross, especially in Japan. This is interesting because in general the western/english speaking fandom seems to clearly favour Misa overall. Is the situation really reverse in Japan?

With the adults that I've talked with, if -- and it must be stressed that this is a big if -- they EVEN remember Macross, invariably they remember "the idol singer". (If memory serves, sometimes a name comes out, but half the time it's Mari Iijima!)

So, in a way, yes, Minmei was the more memorable character - but that's a far cry from most popular (note others may have different experiences.)

Well, I was thinking of anime fans in particular (who'd remember this stuff better than "general populace" anyway). If I remember correctly Minmay placed really high in pretty recent Newtype best characters of the decade poll by taking 3rd place in 80s females list (IIRC Misa was in top ten too). I once heard someone say that a lot of Minmay's popularity followed DYRL (and 2012) but on the other hand she seemed to be the most popular character already with DYRL being trollishly marketed as Minmayfest where she was going to get Hikaru...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clear up any misconception, Khyron is the Robotech name for Quamzin Kravshera in SDFM.

He is the one who attacks Roy's VF inside of the Zentraedi ship while they're trying to escape their captivity. A short appearance, but it was still pretty epic. His Glaug never appeared in DYRL.

I bet this has been asked before, but please forgive my ignorance. Did Khyron make any appearance, though probably brief, in DYRL? I never noticed his Glaug anywhere in it either.

Ah, yes... you wouldn't spot him if you were looking for his Glaug. He uses a Nosjadeul-Ger powered suit in the movie, one that has black trim instead of the usual silver. He only shows up in one scene, when Hikaru, Misa, and Roy are trying to escape from Britai's ship, wherein he crushes the head on Roy's VF-1S and smashes the cockpit before being shot in the stomach and caught in the explosion when Roy's VF-1S blows up.

(In Macross II's continuity (DYRLverse?) he pulls a "comic book death" and comes back to have another go against the UN Spacy on several occasions)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what animal Ozma's skull comes from. Doesn't look like an earth creature skull (could be a bull minus the cheek and chin spikes). Have we seen this creature before in Macross? Definitely not Vajra (my first thought).

It's a bison skull, I would guess. http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_variant.php?id=3117 (wow, that was a weird Google Images search...)