1 minute ago, RedWolf said:

Ninjin loves you yeah!

Just imagine the rabbit that eats them... 

"That rabbit's got a mean streak a Macross wide!"

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yup... the very first thing we see from them is Quamzin and his subaltern Oigul gambling with liquor rations on how many ships they'd collide with by folding out too close to the Vrlitwhai branch fleet.

Honestly, it really raises questions about zentradi programming if he was considered a functional troublemaker instead of hopelessly defective.

5 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Honestly, it really raises questions about zentradi programming if he was considered a functional troublemaker instead of hopelessly defective.

In all fairness, Exsedol clearly considers Quamzin to be in the latter category.

How much of an unstable mentalcase do you have to be for a warrior race that's indifferent to casualties consider you an excessively gung-ho psychopath?

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

In all fairness, Exsedol clearly considers Quamzin to be in the latter category.

How much of an unstable mentalcase do you have to be for a warrior race that's indifferent to casualties consider you an excessively gung-ho psychopath?

Apparently it is somewhere past "intentionally kills his own men during an operation" , since Britai defended his record in the friendly-fire incident(to his almost immediate regret as a victim of "intentionally causes a massive shipwreck on entrance to the theater of operations").

Maybe military discipline was handled by the protoculture and there's just no one left who can fire him?

I suppose it is likely that these, umm, endearing personality quirks evolved over the years after he was birthed. That would at least partially exempt the original programming from fault.

And if no one alive can fire him... he's just gonna be everyone's problem until he's put out of everyone's misery.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Apparently it is somewhere past "intentionally kills his own men during an operation" , since Britai defended his record in the friendly-fire incident(to his almost immediate regret as a victim of "intentionally causes a massive shipwreck on entrance to the theater of operations").

Maybe military discipline was handled by the protoculture and there's just no one left who can fire him?

I suppose it is likely that these, umm, endearing personality quirks evolved over the years after he was birthed. That would at least partially exempt the original programming from fault.

And if no one alive can fire him... he's just gonna be everyone's problem until he's put out of everyone's misery.

If memory serves, in universe he was 'tolerated' because he got the job done (I think there was a bit of a nuance of he was willing to fight battles that other soldiers weren't).

On the production side (out of universe), his character was added for the unpredictability.  Buritai, etc. all make good opponents, but they tend to think up and act out long-term plans, which doesn't necessarily make for good TV.

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

And "drunk while on duty" too... 

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

Maybe his maverick approach to tactics is enough to land him in the role of "a useful idiot" where they simply don't care if his unit is wiped out as long as they achieve their objective?

I'm not sure it counts as firing, but Boddole Zer definitely had the authority to demote or promote commanders and execute them via "friendly" fire...

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

And "drunk while on duty" too... 

Maybe his maverick approach to tactics is enough to land him in the role of "a useful idiot" where they simply don't care if his unit is wiped out as long as they achieve their objective?

I'm not sure it counts as firing, but Boddole Zer definitely had the authority to demote or promote commanders and execute them via "friendly" fire...

Or splatter himself and his ship on the hull of the SDF-1 after a kamikaze run....

On 5/4/2022 at 11:26 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

So you end up in this point where reproducing the Queadluun-Rau effectively was only possible from about 2040, at which point development of a VF that exceeded its capabilities began.  So there was this brief golden period where the reproduction Queadluun would've been quite good, but it's offscreen and by the time we see it a craft that surpasses it was on the way in.

So essentially it's not the structure of the battle suit itself that's hard to replicate, but the ability for it to be as maneuverable and effective in combat as we see it. Though it does make me wonder how does the Nousjaduel-Ger compare in performance. Well, the lack of its ability to hold a Itano Circus already a strike against it.  😛

On 5/4/2022 at 11:26 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Mind you, Zentradi mecha are extremely cost-effective and have a low failure rate, but they're also ergonomics and survivability nightmares.  Humanity tried to solve the surviability issue, but ergonomically the Regult et. al. are still kind of a mess, and presumably kept around because some Zentradi prefer a familiar unit.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, sketchley said:

I think one analogy is that Zentradi equipment is like the cheap cars pumped out of factories with poor tuning that one can literally drive into the ground and it keeps puttering along, and the human stuff is like a finely-tuned race car that will stop working if something small goes out of alignment.

That is the absolute best description for Zentradi equipment I've heard. Also true considering the only time we see one being massively redesigned was the Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis. Though speaking of Zentradi preferred/familiar tech, was it said that the VF-14 favored by Zentradi pilots, or was that only for the VA-14?

On 5/4/2022 at 5:19 PM, pengbuzz said:

1477058275_ZFCPrankLogoFinal.jpg.5cd488fe464bdccf82d980767ccb2f8e.jpg

This is the best and worst thing I've seen all week. 🤣

On 5/5/2022 at 3:29 PM, RedWolf said:

Between SDF Macross Quamzin, Macross 2036/Eternal Love Song Quamzin, and Macross Frontier's Temjin you'd think Quamzin being well Quamzin is not a bug but a feature. 

Can't believe I missed all of that discussion for one of my favorites in SDF. It is also funny despite how being against culture (or at least how humans told the Zentradi about it) he in became apart of it himself...Just not on the pleasant side of things.

I do have a new question; I see the term "frontier immigration planets" thrown around, and I'm curious if they have distinctive qualities from other emigrant planets throughout the galaxy?

2 hours ago, TG Remix said:

That is the absolute best description for Zentradi equipment I've heard. Also true considering the only time we see one being massively redesigned was the Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis. Though speaking of Zentradi preferred/familiar tech, was it said that the VF-14 favored by Zentradi pilots, or was that only for the VA-14?

I don't believe anything was said one way or the other.

The Variable Guraji on the other hand... ;)

I do have a new question; I see the term "frontier immigration planets" thrown around, and I'm curious if they have distinctive qualities from other emigrant planets throughout the galaxy?

I think "immigration" planets is just an alternative translation of "emigrant" planets.  It's just the way that that Japanese term works—it's both "emigrant" and "immigrant" at the same time as it is "emigrate" and "immigrate".  移民惑星

My preference is on "emigrate" as the term is generally used to describe those big ships that depart with tons of people on it, with a final destination that is undetermined at the time of launch.

As for the frontier in "frontier immigration planets", that could also be translated as "remote".  So, those would be planets far from anywhere else (or any regions of space that would be considered "cosmopolitan").

What that means in-universe is left nebulous.  It could be a planet in a remote sector that is just barely explored, let alone 'colonized'; or it could be in an unpopulated pocket in a developed sector.

4 hours ago, TG Remix said:

So essentially it's not the structure of the battle suit itself that's hard to replicate, but the ability for it to be as maneuverable and effective in combat as we see it. Though it does make me wonder how does the Nousjaduel-Ger compare in performance. Well, the lack of its ability to hold a Itano Circus already a strike against it.  😛

Yeah, it's not the basic structure... it's the inertia capacitor system that allows the pilot to withstand the suit's excessive acceleration and maneuvering g-forces that made it too complex and costly for true mass production in the Protoculture's era and made it all but impossible for the New UN Gov't to replicate it until they seized a factory satellite that manufactured them and studied it during its restoration.

(It's implied in Master File that the primary sticking point is the fold carbon.  The IVCS needs very pure, very high quality fold carbon to work.  Much more so than any other reactor or system used by the Zentradi.  Even humanity didn't have the means to synthesize fold carbon at the requisite purity until they captured a Queadluu-Rau production line.)

The Queadluun-Rau's performance was so over-the-top that regular Zentradi pilots had severe difficulty handling it even with the IVCS.  The Protoculture's solution, other than the decision to restrict it on a cost basis to certain roles analogous to special forces was to build a better pilot (the females).  The Nousjadeul-Ger, on the other hand, was made for general use and while it is not as heavily armed or fast and maneuverable as the Queadluun-Rau it is a unit even average pilots can operate well and is simple enought to be mass produced in gargantuan numbers.

4 hours ago, TG Remix said:

I think that's the VA-14.

5 hours ago, TG Remix said:

Though it does make me wonder how does the Nousjaduel-Ger compare in performance. Well, the lack of its ability to hold a Itano Circus already a strike against it.  😛

Granted it's a variant of the Nousjad- But..B35024A3-AD65-4D15-A7EB-2F7B1B9C66C6.gif.f14a1c22a9f25491cbf168ae472d8018.gif

Itano Circus happened😉

9 hours ago, sketchley said:

I don't believe anything was said one way or the other.

I kinda looked into your site's page of the VF-14, and apparently Macross Chronicle suggests that both the VF-14 Vampire AND the VA-14 Hunter seemed to be popular with Zentradi.

Its popularity was especially high with Zentraadi pilots, and in the Fifth New Macross Class Super Long Range Emigrant Fleet (Macross 5), which was composed of My-clonized Zentraadi, the VF-14 and its derivative Variable Bomber VF-14* were operated as the main VF. Also, it was deployed to the Unified Forces Special Forces Dancing Skull squadron, and is considered to have been operated by the same squadron's Maximilian Jiinasu, Miria Farina Jiinasu and others.

* Translator's note: a typo that's meant to be VA-14?

9 hours ago, sketchley said:

The Variable Guraji on the other hand... ;)

It's still funny to me how that and the VA-3 are pretty much the few Variable Attackers we know that we see onscreen (Or as much as we can.) I could see them being the main aircraft of a remote emigrant planet somewhere (Considering despite seeing VF-11's with the Macross 5 iirc, their main aircraft was still the VA-14.)  Apparently there was also the existence of the VB-X-2 "Spirit of the Galaxy" that was said to be built to be piloted by a still-macronized Zentradi. Any more data on it, even if it's just a simple picture?

46 minutes ago, TG Remix said:

I kinda looked into your site's page of the VF-14, and apparently Macross Chronicle suggests that both the VF-14 Vampire AND the VA-14 Hunter seemed to be popular with Zentradi.

Well there's that...

However, I take it with a grain of salt, as we know the Varota Armed Forces are composed mostly of human-produced equipment modified after the Protodevilun captured it.  So, that quote is one way of explaining how the Protodevilun acquired the VF-14 (& etc.) that were used to produce the Fz-109 (& etc.)

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

Granted it's a variant of the Nousjad- But..B35024A3-AD65-4D15-A7EB-2F7B1B9C66C6.gif.f14a1c22a9f25491cbf168ae472d8018.gif

Itano Circus happened😉

We only know it as a Battlesuit. Nousjadeul-Ger versions if we go by Macross 7 Encore having both versions of the Queadluun-Rau both possibly exist in a setting. 

There is a variety of Battle Suit types that turns out has been around during the Stellar Republic. The Queadluun-Quilqua and Queadluun-Alma are such examples but the ones we do see are customized. Emilia's Queadluun-Quilqua has lights and a smoke machine installed. Anger's Queadluun-Alma has elements from the Feios Valkyrie and the Protodevlin barrier. The Battlesuit also is a Stellar Republic Era craft we just don't know what is it's Zentradi name.

Edited by RedWolf

12 hours ago, TG Remix said:

Apparently there was also the existence of the VB-X-2 "Spirit of the Galaxy" that was said to be built to be piloted by a still-macronized Zentradi. Any more data on it, even if it's just a simple picture?

That's an unofficial/non-canon design done for yuks in Macross Ace.

There's no data.

3 hours ago, RedWolf said:

The Queadluun-Quilqua and Queadluun-Alma are such examples but the ones we do see are customized. Emilia's Queadluun-Quilqua has lights and a smoke machine installed. Anger's Queadluun-Alma has elements from the Feios Valkyrie and the Protodevlin barrier. The Battlesuit also is a Stellar Republic Era craft we just don't know what is it's Zentradi name.

The Queadluun-Alma... eh... Chronicle claims it's a pre-fall design, but it's pretty obviously not given that 80-90% of it is a Feios Valkyrie.

11 hours ago, sketchley said:

Well there's that...

However, I take it with a grain of salt, as we know the Varota Armed Forces are composed mostly of human-produced equipment modified after the Protodevilun captured it.  So, that quote is one way of explaining how the Protodevilun acquired the VF-14 (& etc.) that were used to produce the Fz-109 (& etc.)

Oh, so it's more like a generalization thing, I get it.

3 hours ago, RedWolf said:

There is a variety of Battle Suit types that turns out has been around during the Stellar Republic. The Queadluun-Quilqua and Queadluun-Alma are such examples but the ones we do see are customized. Emilia's Queadluun-Quilqua has lights and a smoke machine installed. Anger's Queadluun-Alma has elements from the Feios Valkyrie and the Protodevlin barrier. The Battlesuit also is a Stellar Republic Era craft we just don't know what is it's Zentradi name.

Oh, didin't know the Quilqua type was also from the Stellar Republic. Thought that was a very customized suit from Emilia.

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Queadluun-Alma... eh... Chronicle claims it's a pre-fall design, but it's pretty obviously not given that 80-90% of it is a Feios Valkyrie.

Yeah, it's the same thing as acting the Neo Glaug is the exact same as the Variable Glaug. Actually, would the Alma even be considered transformable?

Yeah, it's the same thing as acting the Neo Glaug is the exact same as the Variable Glaug.

That is a muddier topic... as there are two separate and distinct aircraft that are both called "Variable Glaug".  The former is the captured enemy Valkyrie from Macross M3 that the New UN Forces reproduced in limited quantities, and the latter bis-type is a manned derivative of the Neo Glaug with much higher performance.

Actually, would the Alma even be considered transformable?

It does have a very basic transformation, yes.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That is a muddier topic... as there are two separate and distinct aircraft that are both called "Variable Glaug".  The former is the captured enemy Valkyrie from Macross M3 that the New UN Forces reproduced in limited quantities, and the latter bis-type is a manned derivative of the Neo Glaug with much higher performance.

That also got me a bit curious. I know the lineart of the designs doesn't necessarily say how one aircraft fransforms (Because, honestly through that almost none of the suits from 7 should have a Gerwalk mode) but would the bis-type have a Battroid form like the Variable Glaug? Kinda hard to say since most of the mechs from The Ride don't really showcase other modes other then them being Fighters.

28 minutes ago, TG Remix said:

That also got me a bit curious. I know the lineart of the designs doesn't necessarily say how one aircraft fransforms (Because, honestly through that almost none of the suits from 7 should have a Gerwalk mode) but would the bis-type have a Battroid form like the Variable Glaug? Kinda hard to say since most of the mechs from The Ride don't really showcase other modes other then them being Fighters.

There's this from one official source:

The Neo-Gurāji can take the forms of a 3-hulled Fighter, GERWALK and can even transform up to the Battroid form. The basic fuselage structure and transformation mechanism are almost identical to the Variable Gurāji. Probably because of the introduction of Earth technology, the Neo-Gurāji came to have a sharper silhouette when compared to the Gurāji—especially in the Fighter form.

There's nothing in the descriptions of the 'Bis' in various publications that I've read that says that it can't transform to Battroid.

The only (major) differences is that in the Bis model, claws have been added to the arms*, and it is also equipped with Energy Conversion Armour and a Pinpoint Barrier.

Also, it appears that the AI equipped one seen in Macross Plus Game Edition was a one-off unmanned version for testing.  Apparently Temujin used a Neo-Guraji in the Macross Frontier Novelization, as well.

* more like restored as per the original Variable Guraji specs, but one translates based on the original text.

As far as we know the Neo Glaug bis is basically a manned Neo Glaug. The prototype Neo Glaug was unmanned. The Neo Glaug omits the Battroid present I the Variable Glaug. My take on it is simplified for mass production  and ease of maintenance. The Variable Glaug was designed for child Meltrandi to pilot. While the full potential of the Neo Glaug would need a Meltran to pilot it , it allows Zentrans to do so too. Known pilots of the Neo Glaug is Temjin during the novel version of his revolt in the 33rd Marines and Naresuan as a Fasces craft. The Neo Glaug bis aka VBP-1 Neo Glaug is a craft used by full sized Zentradi NUNS. There is also the VA-110 Neo Glaug which is a Miclone pilot version.

• 2 weeks later...

So, looking through some of the production numbers of Variable craft in general, I'm just wondering  on how much some have been built overall. The VF-1 had 5,459 built and the VF-4 with 8,245, so pretty decent numbers especially during the pioneer years of long distance fleets. 2nd generation Variable craft it hard for me to think about, since they all were striving to be more cost effective then the previous two. So I'd imagine similar numbers, but I feel it depends on how many colony planets were around at that time. The VF-11 and VF-171 I can assume they're widespread to the point it's easier to count what fleets didn't use them. The VF-14 a bit less, but enough numbers for the Varauta Army alone to posses ~7000 of them to be modified into Fz-109's.

10fqa.jpg

VF-17's had 718 built, which makes sense due to them being Special Forces Valkyries. Variable Attackers I'd imagine a bit less would be made, and even lower numbers with Variable Bombers. Though VA's I've heard be used as the main aircraft of certain fleets, so it's not as if they're rare. The hardest to judge would have to be the VF-19 and VF-22's. It's already limiting enough that they were put under massive restrictions to be used on colonies and emigration fleets, but aside from the VF-19EF's (156 overall) and VF-19C's (iirc the most built variant of the Excalibur), I don't think we ever got a grasp on how many overall were built.

1 hour ago, TG Remix said:

So, looking through some of the production numbers of Variable craft in general, I'm just wondering  on how much some have been built overall. The VF-1 had 5,459 built and the VF-4 with 8,245, so pretty decent numbers especially during the pioneer years of long distance fleets. 2nd generation Variable craft it hard for me to think about, since they all were striving to be more cost effective then the previous two. So I'd imagine similar numbers, but I feel it depends on how many colony planets were around at that time.

The VF-4 is a 2nd Gen VF, so that's a pretty good directional estimate right there.

Though it's worth noting many 2nd Generation VFs were low cost models meant to be manufactured and maintained easily by emigrant fleets and planets that were only just getting established, so the numbers are probably lower than the VF-4 due to the sheer number of different models.

The VF-11 and VF-171 I can assume they're widespread to the point it's easier to count what fleets didn't use them. The VF-14 a bit less, but enough numbers for the Varauta Army alone to posses ~7000 of them to be modified into Fz-109's.

The Varauta forces, of course, had the benefit of a factory satellite to help out... so their force was disproportionately large for what was a world settled by a 1st Generation emigrant fleet.

The hardest to judge would have to be the VF-19 and VF-22's. It's already limiting enough that they were put under massive restrictions to be used on colonies and emigration fleets, but aside from the VF-19EF's (156 overall) and VF-19C's (iirc the most built variant of the Excalibur), I don't think we ever got a grasp on how many overall were built.

Past a certain point it becomes difficult to even estimate, since individual emigrant fleets are building their own gear in factory ships and so on... 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Though it's worth noting many 2nd Generation VFs were low cost models meant to be manufactured and maintained easily by emigrant fleets and planets that were only just getting established, so the numbers are probably lower than the VF-4 due to the sheer number of different models.

Makes sense to me. Though I feel the VF-5000 would be the exception as it also took the role of the main fighter until the VF-11.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Varauta forces, of course, had the benefit of a factory satellite to help out... so their force was disproportionately large for what was a world settled by a 1st Generation emigrant fleet.

The more I hear about Varauta pre-Protodevlin the more I wonder how different or standard their procedures are from other colony planets and governments we know of. I know production wise they stand out so they can look visually distinct from the protagonists, but it's interesting to think about the universe of Macross.

And I have mentioned Variable Bombers, and it's making me wonder if we have any visuals of the VB-171, or at least an idea of how different they look from the regular Nightmare Plus. 

Makes sense to me. Though I feel the VF-5000 would be the exception as it also took the role of the main fighter until the VF-11.

Sorta.  The VF-4 and VF-5000 effectively jointly held the main fighter designation for a while... that whole period was basically the period of "VF-4 and _______", that ended when the VF-4 and VF-5000 were both replaced by the VF-11 c.2029.  It was, variously, VF-4 and VF-5, VF-4 and VF-9, VF-4 and VF-5000, etc.

The more I hear about Varauta pre-Protodevlin the more I wonder how different or standard their procedures are from other colony planets and governments we know of. I know production wise they stand out so they can look visually distinct from the protagonists, but it's interesting to think about the universe of Macross.

That disparity was exaggerated somewhat when their ships and fighters were reworked by the Protodeviln... but their stuff seems to have been pretty different, pursuing a less conventional approach to design with a lot more high-angle beam guns than the Spacy usually used.

And I have mentioned Variable Bombers, and it's making me wonder if we have any visuals of the VB-171, or at least an idea of how different they look from the regular Nightmare Plus. 

None.

3 minutes ago, darkranger12 said:

Do we have any data on the lil valkens or anything on the new ghosts from the movie yet?

Nope.

We have only very basic info on the Lilldrakens and nothing worth mentioning on anything from movie 2.

10 hours ago, RedWolf said:

I think they are called Super Ghosts.

Reveal hidden contents

Two of them can attach to Hayate's VF-31X

Only when they're equipped with the FAST Packs pictured.

So as I understand it or what has been mentioned that after Megaroad 13 settled in the Varauta system...they purposely designed different ships, right? Or am I misreading things?

From what I surmised once when the Varatura forces were taken over by the Protodevlin they created ships sorta similar to the supervision army ones....or I might be misinterpreting things here?

If this the design change was a deliberate decision by the Colony brass...then thats the first time a garrison fleet went with different designs...?

2 hours ago, darkranger12 said:

From what I surmised once when the Varatura forces were taken over by the Protodevlin they created ships sorta similar to the supervision army ones....or I might be misinterpreting things here?

All the ships beside the large battleship were designed by the Varauta colony. Note designed. The Protodevlin had a unique Factory Satellite hidden away which was used to build the fleet to a number of 501 ships. If we go by Al Shahal and Ragna on screen their fleets are in the dozens with Al Shahal having 48 ships in orbit and Ragna having 29 ships in orbit. Fasces the Zentradi chapter of the Earth Supremacist faction Lanctence took control of the Protodevlin Legacy Factory Satellite. In Macross the Ride  novelization Varauta VFs were among Fasces forces. While Varauta VF's are modified reverse engineered VF's by the Protodevlin for Spiritia collection it seems they were also manufactured on said Factory Satellite.

The Supervsion Army was originally the force guarding the Scientifically Advanced Planet where the Evil Series Zentradi were created. The Evil being the bodies the Protodevlin took over. They were brainwashed and associated facilities taken over. 

The Protodevlin took over the Research fleet investigating their prison and then took over the Megaroad 13 colony. Chelsea Scarlett was .resident of that fleet. The Protodevlin experimented on her. Discovering she has the same Spritia wavelength as they do. Thus able to activate Protodevlin Legacy Factory Satellite like they can. She was rescued by a Special Forces.team ďurng Operation Stargazer. 

Edit: Also fleets I've Macross Galaxy like to have escorts different  from typical Emigration fleet. The Epsilon Foundation is selling warships different from what NUNS typically  uses.

Edited by RedWolf

12 hours ago, RedWolf said:

All the ships beside the large battleship were designed by the Varauta colony. Note designed. The Protodevlin had a unique Factory Satellite hidden away which was used to build the fleet to a number of 501 ships. If we go by Al Shahal and Ragna on screen their fleets are in the dozens with Al Shahal having 48 ships in orbit and Ragna having 29 ships in orbit. Fasces the Zentradi chapter of the Earth Supremacist faction Lanctence took control of the Protodevlin Legacy Factory Satellite. In Macross the Ride  novelization Varauta VFs were among Fasces forces. While Varauta VF's are modified reverse engineered VF's by the Protodevlin for Spiritia collection it seems they were also manufactured on said Factory Satellite.

The Supervsion Army was originally the force guarding the Scientifically Advanced Planet where the Evil Series Zentradi were created. The Evil being the bodies the Protodevlin took over. They were brainwashed and associated facilities taken over. 

The Protodevlin took over the Research fleet investigating their prison and then took over the Megaroad 13 colony. Chelsea Scarlett was .resident of that fleet. The Protodevlin experimented on her. Discovering she has the same Spritia wavelength as they do. Thus able to activate Protodevlin Legacy Factory Satellite like they can.

So is Fasces in full control of the Varauta colonial forces or just some of them? Or is it now defunct? How much of a threat would they be to the rest of the colonies?