They did. It is present in the animation. Then the VF-1 lights the cigarette of the zentradi with his gunpowder. It is also present in DYRL, Millie perforates a bunch of foot soldiers.

Twich

1 hour ago, Invid99 said:

Why didn't the Zentraedi use foot soldiers warfare?

... I would think the answer would be obvious.

You're not going to be able to march an infantry column very far - or at all, really - through the vacuum of space.

The Zentradi are a predominantly fleet-based space force waging a forever war against another predominantly fleet-based space force.  Aside from basic deck protection duties in case the ship is boarded like in DYRL?, there's not a lot for infantry to do.  It's not like they can roll down a window and start shooting out.  Battles take place at ranges of tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of kilometers, well beyond the reach of man-portable weapons.  Most operations against enemy forces based on a planet take the form of a massed bombardment of the planet's surface, which also leaves little for infantry to do.  Not to mention the Regult battle pod is more agile and more heavily armed than a soldier on foot.

It's armour they are wearing right?

Yes and no.  That first one is an unarmored regular-duty space suit used by regular crewmen and various battle pod pilots.

The second one is an armored space suit used by some battle pod, battle suit, and light spacecraft pilots.

7 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... I would think the answer would be obvious.

You're not going to be able to march an infantry column very far - or at all, really - through the vacuum of space.

The Zentradi are a predominantly fleet-based space force waging a forever war against another predominantly fleet-based space force.  Aside from basic deck protection duties in case the ship is boarded like in DYRL?, there's not a lot for infantry to do.  It's not like they can roll down a window and start shooting out.

Both of those would be worthy of a cartoon drawing. :p

It likely wouldn't be wrong to say that the Zentradi rank and file are more like specialty Marines than an Army. At least in the traditional notion of those branches (vs how they've kinda morphed in the modern day) they are for very specific use case scenarios such as boarding actions and the like. Otherwise they operate things on the ship. When they have to take to land... they use mechs obviously.

8 hours ago, RedWolf said:

I do wonder if there the TV series Queadluun-Rau and DYRL Queadluun-Rau each have a designation. Both versions appeared in Macross 7 Encore episodes.

If there is, it's never been published.

• 3 weeks later...

Who would be in line to Release Macross  (1992 to present) via Streaming and/or Blu-Ray in North America? 

FUNimation  (in the middle of the Crunchyroll Transformation)

Sentai Filmworks 

Viz Media 

Media Blasters 

Right Stuf! 

GKIDS/Shout! Factory 

Discotek Media/Eastern Star

1 hour ago, Zethus said:

Who would be in line to Release Macross  (1992 to present) via Streaming and/or Blu-Ray in North America? 

FUNimation  (in the middle of the Crunchyroll Transformation)

Sentai Filmworks 

Viz Media 

Media Blasters 

Right Stuf! 

GKIDS/Shout! Factory 

Discotek Media/Eastern Star

Smart money is on Funimation, as Harmony Gold is functioning as a release partner/coordinator for Macross and they have a pre-existing licensing partnership with Funimation.

On 3/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Smart money is on Funimation, as Harmony Gold is functioning as a release partner/coordinator for Macross and they have a pre-existing licensing partnership with Funimation.

Well funimation for the blu-rays, but Netflix is a contender for streaming as they have Macross here in the states and Frontier and Delta in Japan.

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

Well funimation for the blu-rays, but Netflix is a contender for streaming as they have Macross here in the states and Frontier and Delta in Japan.

They have what here in the states? Cause I ain't seen that. Cursory glance doesn't show anything. I assume you mean SDF but last I checked the was on Amazon Prime.

Netflix Japan does indeed have the latter two though. No English subs of course.

25 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

They have what here in the states? Cause I ain't seen that. Cursory glance doesn't show anything. I assume you mean SDF but last I checked the was on Amazon Prime.

Netflix Japan does indeed have the latter two though. No English subs of course.

Yeah, but I just checked myself and series that shall not be named is not on netflix anymore. 

22 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Yeah, but I just checked myself and series that shall not be named is not on netflix anymore. 

Yeah, they pulled it a while back... I believe around the time they initially negotiated their new license with Funimation that fell through when the intermediary went bankrupt and then out of business.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, they pulled it a while back... I believe around the time they initially negotiated their new license with Funimation that fell through when the intermediary went bankrupt and then out of business.

Are you saying that FUNimation went out of business cause they've folded into Crunchyroll? 

3 hours ago, Zethus said:

Are you saying that FUNimation went out of business cause they've folded into Crunchyroll? 

No, the intermediary company that Harmony Gold used to set up their original licensing deal with Funimation went under due to a bankruptcy triggered by "creative accounting" practices.  That's why it took like two years for Funimation to actually put up any of HG's episodes.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No, the intermediary company that Harmony Gold used to set up their original licensing deal with Funimation went under due to a bankruptcy triggered by "creative accounting" practices.  That's why it took like two years for Funimation to actually put up any of HG's episodes.

What was the intermediary company's name?

22 minutes ago, Zethus said:

They must have owed a lot of money to a lot of people 

Long story short, they ended up in default on their loans after they released a retraction of one of their regular financial reports indicating they'd overstated their financial resources after overspending on acquiring new properties.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:34 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Long story short, they ended up in default on their loans after they released a retraction of one of their regular financial reports indicating they'd overstated their financial resources after overspending on acquiring new properties.

Not a good way to run any business! Although it makes me wonder with animation companies and their distributors if this kind of thing is the exception or the rule?

I say this because I recall hearing somewhere (might have been you Seto, but I'm not sure) that the animation companies don't make all that much on the animes.

57 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Not a good way to run any business! Although it makes me wonder with animation companies and their distributors if this kind of thing is the exception or the rule?

The aforementioned issue with Kew Media Distribution was very much the exception.

Mind you, they weren't really in the animation business as such.  Their portfolio was almost exclusively distribution rights to live action television and movies.  It would not be at all unfair to say that what sank Kew Media Distribution was massively irresponsible and highly irregular behavior of its parent company, Kew Media Group.

Spoiler

What ultimately sank the company in early 2020 and left relations between Funimation and Harmony Gold partly in limbo was that their parent company, Kew Media Group, was a Special Purpose Acquisition Company.  SPACs are a weird sort of legal, publicly-traded shell company that exists to finance mergers and acquisitions using investor money as a way of indirectly taking private companies public without an IPO.  SPACs are also notoriously unstable, since they're publicly traded and investors want to see a consistent growth trend they either have to constantly produce value from their acquired companies or acquire new companies.  That instability was was sank it.

KMG was incredibly reckless about its business.  It spent lavishly on acquiring new media companies but didn't really take the time to properly organize them, to the extent that it actually had two different, competing, distribution arms and there was little effort to coordinate the newly acquired companies.  When investments didn't turn out as profitable as expected, they dipped into the till at their distributors to make ends meet.  In 2018, they overspent in a big way on acquiring Essential Media Group and after a mess of money-shifting with their creditors they realized in 2019 they'd misstated how much cash they actually had in their required-by-law financial disclosures they were making to investors.  That resulted in them defaulting on their operating loans because they'd made false financial statements, and ending up in administration (bankruptcy) when the banks whose credit lines they had defaulted on demanded repayment of all money owed.

57 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I say this because I recall hearing somewhere (might have been you Seto, but I'm not sure) that the animation companies don't make all that much on the animes.

Anime production is on razor thin margins, yeah... though that's a function of how manpower-intensive animation production is vs. average revenues from a 12, 26, or 50 episode series.

33 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The aforementioned issue with Kew Media Distribution was very much the exception.

Mind you, they weren't really in the animation business as such.  Their portfolio was almost exclusively distribution rights to live action television and movies.  It would not be at all unfair to say that what sank Kew Media Distribution was massively irresponsible and highly irregular behavior of its parent company, Kew Media Group.

Hide contents

What ultimately sank the company in early 2020 and left relations between Funimation and Harmony Gold partly in limbo was that their parent company, Kew Media Group, was a Special Purpose Acquisition Company.  SPACs are a weird sort of legal, publicly-traded shell company that exists to finance mergers and acquisitions using investor money as a way of indirectly taking private companies public without an IPO.  SPACs are also notoriously unstable, since they're publicly traded and investors want to see a consistent growth trend they either have to constantly produce value from their acquired companies or acquire new companies.  That instability was was sank it.

KMG was incredibly reckless about its business.  It spent lavishly on acquiring new media companies but didn't really take the time to properly organize them, to the extent that it actually had two different, competing, distribution arms and there was little effort to coordinate the newly acquired companies.  When investments didn't turn out as profitable as expected, they dipped into the till at their distributors to make ends meet.  In 2018, they overspent in a big way on acquiring Essential Media Group and after a mess of money-shifting with their creditors they realized in 2019 they'd misstated how much cash they actually had in their required-by-law financial disclosures they were making to investors.  That resulted in them defaulting on their operating loans because they'd made false financial statements, and ending up in administration (bankruptcy) when the banks whose credit lines they had defaulted on demanded repayment of all money owed.

Anime production is on razor thin margins, yeah... though that's a function of how manpower-intensive animation production is vs. average revenues from a 12, 26, or 50 episode series.

I see; that clears up a few things for me and helps explain what happened. So Kew played fast and loose and ultimately got so deep into it that "the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing" and they got caught out in the open. right?

I also appreciate the clarification on the animation productions' margin issue: on that note, does CGI and computers help in any way to reduce the manpower issue, seeing as much of what used to be hand-drawn can now be done in a program?

Thanks for your insights in this Seto!; I'm glad I asked!

15 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I see; that clears up a few things for me and helps explain what happened. So Kew played fast and loose and ultimately got so deep into it that "the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing" and they got caught out in the open. right?

IMO, what KMG did is more like a compulsive gambler in over their head at the blackjack table.  They were taking money needed for day-to-day expenses and betting it on the next big score in the hopes that they'd win big enough to return that money with interest, with a conspicuous lack of success.  Eventually it caught up to them when they had to balance their checkbook and realized they didn't have enough to cover their debts and their loan shark decided their free trial of having kneecaps was over.

15 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I also appreciate the clarification on the animation productions' margin issue: on that note, does CGI and computers help in any way to reduce the manpower issue, seeing as much of what used to be hand-drawn can now be done in a program?

From what I've read, it's kind of a "yes and no" situation.  All things being equal, computer animation tools do make the process faster and more streamlined which saves money... but at the same time, it also drives demand for higher quality and more detailed animation which increases cost.  (The ever-more-detailed eyes of anime characters are said to be one of the most expensive things to animate in terms of person-hours per frame.)

If we ever get a remastered SDFM with additional new scenes that are most likely CGI, would replacing the Nousjadeul-ger with the DYRL version have any impact for the show? I've always liked that version better than the tv ones. If the Queadluun-Rau can have the identical look for the show and movie, why not for the Nousj as well?

nnnnn.jpg

If we ever get a remastered SDFM with additional new scenes that are most likely CGI, would replacing the Nousjadeul-ger with the DYRL version have any impact for the show? I've always liked that version better than the tv ones. If the Queadluun-Rau can have the identical look for the show and movie, why not for the Nousj as well?

A remastering of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series would be focused on restoring and enhancing/upscaling the original animation.  They would not waste the time and money to create new footage to replace one mecha design with a slightly different version.

An all-new animated feature would likely just use the DYRL versions of the designs, as multiple titles have already done.

2 hours ago, ReddyRedWolf said:

It is me RedWolf. It seems my account was hacked I can't access it even my old yahoo account. It may something to do that my old phone was stolen back in January. Anyway for those who I know I am the same guy in Spacebattles that frequent that frequent thee Macross thread.

You'll want to post in the help thread, not the Newbie questions thread.

On 3/27/2022 at 2:56 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

A remastering of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series would be focused on restoring and enhancing/upscaling the original animation.  They would not waste the time and money to create new footage to replace one mecha design with a slightly different version.

An all-new animated feature would likely just use the DYRL versions of the designs, as multiple titles have already done.

Thinking on this Seto: is it fair to say that if they wanted to redo the animation on SDFM, they would have done so by now?

In the opening sequence for SDF Macross, we see the SDF-1 flying out of a cloud formation on earth, with main guns firing. Of course, this isn't in the series, but does anyone know if there's a story behind it? Deleted scene? Animated just for the opening? It's a cool scene, and would have been awesome to see extended. It would be a cool thing to model 

47 minutes ago, Gerli said:

Did SDFM TV gets Reruns on Japan TV sometimes? I know is avaible in a lot of digital platforms, but it's on regular TV sometimes?

IIRC, most Macross titles get reruns on the major anniversaries.