Hi everyone, first time poster long time lurker here. Back in 2012 I got the Blu-Ray hybrid disc. While the image quality was great including the PS3 game, the edited head smash and decapitation scene are scenes I wish were just left alone. So on amazon.co.jp I noticed there's a new version which I believe was released 2016. 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B015I9N0EU/?coliid=ITKH379P5Z26P&colid=25RP3KGD9C1YF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've been trying to get a straight answer but I read there are 2 cuts of the film on the disc. Do any of them include the unedited version of DYRL? For those of you who own this version, how does it compare to the 2012 version? Is it a worthy purchase?

Apologies in advance if it's been discussed in previous discussions. 

I have both. As far as the video quality goes, I couldn’t discern a difference. The two scenes you mention were, I think, restored for the later standalone release, although to be honest it’s barely a second of footage so I wasn’t really paying attention.

i don’t recall there being two versions of the film on the disc when I ripped mine to add subs to it, but I can check later on today. 

imo it’s not really worth owning two copies unless the second or so of slightly blurred gore really bothers you that much. I’d bought it because I’d read it was a new restoration of the film and wanted to compare image quality, but I did a lot of side-by-sides with staxrip, and aside from some very slightly different color saturation only noticeable in some stills of particularly dark scenes, I couldn’t tell. 

@shindromeI just checked and there's only one cut of the film on the disc.

If you look at it in a tool like makemkv there's three different tracks shown - one has a runtime of 1:55:37 and the other two are 1:55:24. The only difference in runtime is that the longer one has a 13 second copyright notice / IP notice after the credits finish running. Of the two 1:55:24, it's the same video stream for both; one is with the commentary track and the other with regular audio (this is sometimes an artifact of how makemkv parses the table of contents on the disc). The blurring is not on the standalone release.

The version on the hybrid disc is 1:55:03. The extra missing 21 seconds happens right at the beginning, at 00:30 seconds into the film - just after the introductory text fades from the screen, on the hybrid disc, it goes right to the conversation between Britai and Exedol. On the standalone release there's 21 seconds of empty screen before their conversation starts.

So to answer your question: if the second or so of blurry footage on the one you have bothers you enough to spend $60 or so, I guess it's worth it? But IMO it's not worth it at all - it's about 1 second total of typical mid-80s anime gore that holds no relevance to the movie at all.

Edited by jeniusornome

@jeniusornome Thanks and I appreciate the feedback. Is it worth it? I suppose not because the money should go into toys rather!

If there were any incentives like new special features or documentaries, then maybe it's worth a look. 

Just to be clear the newer version does have those scenes intact?

correct, the blurring out is only on the hybrid blu-ray release from 2012 - the later 2016 release does not "censor" those scenes.

I don't recall if the hybrid disc included a commentary track. if it didn't then I guess that counts as a special feature. I seem to recall most of the documentary type stuff included with the full special edition DYRL hybrid set was on a separate disc with Flashback 2012 and other special features on it.

Also of  note - there are no English subtitles on the 2016 release (nor were there subtitles on the 2012 hybrid disc). DYRL has never had an official release with English subtitles, nor has there ever been an official English dub (unless you count the heavily edited and  hilariously  dubbed "Clash of the Bionoids" version that came out on VHS here in the US in the 80s).

Edited by jeniusornome

On 7/16/2020 at 5:33 PM, Sildani said:

It just occurred to me that your initials, Seto, are the same as the Hoary Froating Head’s...

Has anyone seen Seto and Kawamori in the same room at the same time? It would go a long way to explaining your encyclopedic knowledge... :blink:

Seto Kaiba is the name of a character from Yu-Gi-Oh.  He’s an insufferable ass.

Edited by Einherjar

2 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Seto Kaiba is the name of a character from Yu-Gi-Oh.  He’s an insufferable ass.

Screw politeness, he has money!

1 hour ago, RedWolf said:

1. Macross the Ride wiki article mentions the 20581976 Reconnaissance Squad of Koper Main Fleet. What was it's role in Macross the Ride?

IIRC, that's the rogue Zentradi unit that SMS's Apollo Platoon is fighting at the very start of the story.

Their role in the story is essentially to set up Chelsea Scarlett's realization that, as much as she loves VFs and flying, that she isn't cut out to be a soldier because she can't bring herself to pull the trigger on a Zentradi soldier she'd cornered.  The ensuing bout of soul searching is what leads her to her alternative... flying as a sponsored pilot in the Vanquish League air races.  

1 hour ago, RedWolf said:

2. What happened to the Protodevlin Heritage Factory Satellite?

It's still out there, somewhere... Fasces had control of the Protodeviln Heritage during the events of the light novel. 

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

IIRC, that's the rogue Zentradi unit that SMS's Apollo Platoon is fighting at the very start of the story.

Their role in the story is essentially to set up Chelsea Scarlett's realization that, as much as she loves VFs and flying, that she isn't cut out to be a soldier because she can't bring herself to pull the trigger on a Zentradi soldier she'd cornered.  The ensuing bout of soul searching is what leads her to her alternative... flying as a sponsored pilot in the Vanquish League air races.  

It's still out there, somewhere... Fasces had control of the Protodeviln Heritage during the events of the light novel. 

Thank you for the answers.

Well that sucks. Chelsea can't be a pro singer as she can put people in a coma. And she can't be a fighter pilot as she doesn't like killing. When she does get a vocation where she can excel a bunch of terrorists want to use her to operate their Star Forge-esque Factory Satellite. 

No wonder she went to politics!

So I’m trying to confirm whether or not any of the JPN Blu Ray releases for the original series have English subtitles. I seem to be getting conflicting answers and I wanted to be sure given the number of bootlegs and fansubs. 

1 minute ago, End3r000 said:

So I’m trying to confirm whether or not any of the JPN Blu Ray releases for the original series have English subtitles. I seem to be getting conflicting answers and I wanted to be sure given the number of bootlegs and fansubs. 

Macross Delta's TV series and movie have English subtitles, and one of the box sets of the Macross Frontier movies does as well.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Macross Delta's TV series and movie have English subtitles, and one of the box sets of the Macross Frontier movies does as well.

But not the OG series? I’m trying to find the best way to own it and so far the old dvd release seems like the only option. 

Just now, End3r000 said:

But not the OG series? I’m trying to find the best way to own it and so far the old dvd release seems like the only option. 

Not the Japanese blu-rays... for that, you'd have to get one of the old licensed releases like Animeigo's or ADV's.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not the Japanese blu-rays... for that, you'd have to get one of the old licensed releases like Animeigo's or ADV's.

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. The price was the same and I was really hoping I could go with the new BD rather than the used DVD.

What about the rest of the series? Any best formats for each one?

55 minutes ago, End3r000 said:

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. The price was the same and I was really hoping I could go with the new BD rather than the used DVD.

We're all kinda hoping that the success of the Macross Delta releases with the official English subs is going to lead to the next round of re-releases will have official subs.

55 minutes ago, End3r000 said:

What about the rest of the series? Any best formats for each one?

Well, the quality on the Blu-rays is at least as good if not better than the DVDs most of the time... but admittedly if you want English subs it's usually a one-horse race for any given title except Super Dimension Fortress Macross.  For that one, IIRC the Animeigo release is generally preferred.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

We're all kinda hoping that the success of the Macross Delta releases with the official English subs is going to lead to the next round of re-releases will have official subs.

Well, the quality on the Blu-rays is at least as good if not better than the DVDs most of the time... but admittedly if you want English subs it's usually a one-horse race for any given title except Super Dimension Fortress Macross.  For that one, IIRC the Animeigo release is generally preferred.

Well thanks for the advice and the help. I ended up finding some cheaper DVD versions to tide me over, though I can't find Macross 7 subbed nor dubbed anywhere. Only Blu Ray I found subbed, outside of Delta, was the long out of print special edition of Plus and the only copy to be had was $500 so I'll settle for my old DVD of it. Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

except Super Dimension Fortress Macross.  For that one, IIRC the Animeigo release is generally preferred

As I recall, ADV failed to acquire Animeigo's heavily-restored footage when they stole the license, so the ADV release has old, faded, off-color footage and the exact same subtitles and japanese audio track. Literally the only reason to get the ADV version is you want the english dub.

9 hours ago, JB0 said:

Literally the only reason to get the ADV version is you want the english dub.

Which means there's no reason to get the ADV version... because the English dub is freaking awful.

1 hour ago, End3r000 said:

New question; is there a release of Macross 7 that has an official sub/dub?

Nope, fan sub only right now. Same for the Frontier and Zero series.

So question for the translators and those that have read them.

How is music integrated into the novelizations of the series, in a more specific case the Delta novelization?

Edited by Focslain

On 12/7/2019 at 1:38 PM, jeniusornome said:

Official english subtitle/dub releases in the US:

SDF Macross: US DVD release by AnimEigo in early 2000s. English subtitles, no dub. Out of print.

also a DVD release by ADV films with subs and an English dub track. Out of print.

Macross II: US DVD release by US Renditions (later by Manga Entertainment). English dub and subs. Out of print.

Macross Plus: US DVD release by Manga entertainment of both series and movie versions. English dub, english subtitles. Out of print.

fwiw this is an excellent dub so if subtitles are not your thing, it’s still worth checking out. Fairly cheap on eBay.

-----------------

Official releases qwith English content In Japan, and available for international shipping on Amazon Japan or through ebay or whatever other second-hand market:

(all of this applies to blu-ray releases only; far as I know none of the official Macross dvd  releases have English anything)

(also to note: Japanese blu-rays will play in US players just fine as they are in the same region code, but DVDs require a region-free player since they are not the same region).

Macross Frontier "shooting star" ("shudisuta") movie Blu-ray box set: English subtiles only for the movie; english dub but no subtitles for the series. Includes gorgeous art books. Usually available for about $80.

Macross Plus special edition blu-ray: English subtitles, although they're... pretty bad. I mean they're passable enough to understand what's going on but they're pretty rough. This box set is out of print and usually commands a hefty premium on the secondary market.

Macross Delta series and movie Blu-ray: english subtitles.

--------------

Important to note: the standard Japanese releases of the Macross Plus movie edition and the Macross Frontier movies do not contain english subtitles. It's only the special editions that have them.

--------------

Just for completion's sake, stuff that hasn't gotten an official english subtitle or dub release:

Macross 7 (all of it)

Macross Zero

Macross Frontier (series)

DYRL (unless you count the heavily edited, poorly dubbed US release in the 80s, “Clash of the Bionoids”)

Flashback 2012 (though worth pointing out, it’s just music and video footage without dialogue, so you don’t really need subtitles).

I found this post to be really helpful.

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

I assume he meant in relation to the recent questions about which series had English subs/dubs...

Whenever he shows up I always have the suspicion that he’s just gathering information to put into that weird Robotech essay of his in a self-serving sort of way.

Edited by Einherjar

Hmm. I thought the var “trigger” was short range, activated by creepy kid singing through a wormhole. That was why they needed the protoculture ruins to reach the whole cluster. 

I don’t recall anything in the show indicating the reach of the mind control effect (which could presumably also be used to trigger var outbreaks) extended beyond the cluster, but it’s been a while since I watched it.

that said, even if they could, they’d need to get Windermere apples and water to the entire galaxy to do it. I know there’s a lot of Apple farmers in Windermere, but that seems a bit much considering travel times and supply constraints. 

54 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Hmm. I thought the var “trigger” was short range, activated by creepy kid singing through a wormhole. That was why they needed the protoculture ruins to reach the whole cluster. 

I don’t recall anything in the show indicating the reach of the mind control effect (which could presumably also be used to trigger var outbreaks) extended beyond the cluster, but it’s been a while since I watched it.

that said, even if they could, they’d need to get Windermere apples and water to the entire galaxy to do it. I know there’s a lot of Apple farmers in Windermere, but that seems a bit much considering travel times and supply constraints. 

It was the endgame of the series. Roid used Mikumo in star-singer form to create a gestalt conscience of all sentient being in the galaxy with him at the helm.