Macross is one of the only Sci-Fi franchises where "Punch it in the face with an aircraft carrier" is considered a sound military tactic, lol. Whilst singing of course.

It seems that Macross guns are far more commonplace than I realized. Thank you for enlightening me. I suppose what I was really wondering was why they aren't a standard feature across NUNS ships of the line.

EDIT: NVM, I missed a line in RedWolf's post. Makes sense.

Thanks!

Edited by Major_FuzzBear

1. How do the macross fleets deal with mainline warship losses?

They build replacements using the manufacturing facilities and void docks that are part of the emigrant ship itself... and/or the resources of the dedicated factory ships that accompany some fleets, nearby factory satellites in New UN Forces hands, etc.

It doesn't come up in the Macross 7 series proper, but the Macross-7's City-7 actually has dock space for THREE Battle-class carriers... the main dock on the prow, and two maintenance docks on the underside of the City ship. The accompanying factory ships are able to mine asteroids and refine materials to build pretty much anything, and are perfectly capable of constructing new warships of most classes from scratch in surprisingly short amounts of time.

2. Sort of in conjunction with #1, what happens when a macross fleet is rendered mission killed? (i.e. in an encounter with a rogue Zentradi fleet, the majority of the defense force as well as numerous islands are lost)

Depends on how badly the fleet gets mauled.

Some fleets have been lost due to fold accidents or just plain fell off the map, and all the (New) UN Government and its military can really do is throw up their hands and go "Oh well".

Fleets that are too badly mauled to continue operating independently can get merged into a nearby emigrant fleet that's still in fighting condition, or taken in by the nearest emigrant planet as happened with the survivors of Macross-5 after it was destroyed by the Varauta forces and rescued by Macross-7.

If there's an enemy that they can retaliate against that destroys or cripples a fleet, the federal military may opt to send its own forces in or gather reinforcements from other nearby fleets and worlds to kick the teeth of the offending party in.

In a couple cases of staggering good luck, a few fleets that have been downed by accidents have had the fortune to blunder right into an inhabitable planet anyway... like Supika III and Windermere.

3. Why aren't macross cannons more commonplace? The Quarter-class main gun one-hit-killed a Vajra Mothership, and IIRC the ship the original Macross was built on wasn't all that special in the Supervision Army.

The technology is pretty much omnipresent... it's used for everything from VF-mounted beam weapons and gun pods right on up the line to the largest starship-mounted turrets and standalone cannons.

It's mostly a question of scale. A large-scale super dimension energy weapon like a Macross Cannon is a big, unwieldy thing that takes a long time to charge, draws obscene amounts of power, has a significant downtime between shots for cooling, and takes up a hideous amount of space in your starship. Reaction weapons are, in most cases, a lot more efficient and versatile when you need an earth-shattering kaboom, so the truly huge super dimension energy cannons are made in relatively modest numbers for things like anti-fleet use because the size of the ship needed to accommodate a weapon of that size.

4. What has been the hardest detail/tactic/etc. of the Macross universe for you to rationalize and/or accept? Doesn't matter how small or what it's about.

That there was somebody, or more likely several somebodies, somewhere in the UN Spacy brass who reviewed Basara as a Project M candidate and said "this anti-authoritarian, autistic arsehole is exactly what we need to evaluate potential weaponizations of the Minmay Attack". Basara is just such a tosser that it's hard to believe ANYONE sanctioned Max giving him (via Ray) a state of the art fighter.

5. What is your favorite little detail, be it animation-wise, story-wise, etc., that made you appreciate the movie/series/episode more?

Tough call. As a translator, I'd probably have to say it's the tech manuals for the various Macross titles. Those are written with such an obscene wealth of detail that you'd almost swear you could build a VF and make it halfway practical. They get into EVERYTHING, even the effect Overtechnology Materials (OTMat) had on the design of threaded fasteners used in the VF-1's construction.

Tough call. As a translator, I'd probably have to say it's the tech manuals for the various Macross titles. Those are written with such an obscene wealth of detail that you'd almost swear you could build a VF and make it halfway practical. They get into EVERYTHING, even the effect Overtechnology Materials (OTMat) had on the design of threaded fasteners used in the VF-1's construction.

Well damn. I wish I could read some of that!

In a couple cases of staggering good luck, a few fleets that have been downed by accidents have had the fortune to blunder right into an inhabitable planet anyway... like Supika III and Windermere.

Do you have more information on these incidents? And where was this info mentioned?

4. What has been the hardest detail/tactic/etc. of the Macross universe for you to rationalize and/or accept? Doesn't matter how small or what it's about.

Besides the Basara situation in M7 that Seto already spoke to, it has to be the Varauta Fleet Carrier.

I find it very difficult to accept that a colonial government would have the resources and time to, on their own, construct a state of the art battle wagon with all the bells and whistles and still construct a 200+ capital ship fleet. All of this without any nearby Zentradi factory satellite. The colonial world was barely 20 years old and they could build a new type of Fleet Carrier, along with support fleet all the while setting up colonial civilian centers on Varauta? That stretches credibility for me.

My favorite aspect outside the mecha is the attempt to rationally explain the universe and the tech within it. Some may argue they don't always succeed, but it is nice to see them make a sincere effort in that respect.

Edited by Zinjo

Besides the Basara situation in M7 that Seto already spoke to, it has to be the Varauta Fleet Carrier.

I find it very difficult to accept that a colonial government would have the resources and time to, on their own, construct a state of the art battle wagon with all the bells and whistles and still construct a 200+ capital ship fleet. All of this without any nearby Zentradi factory satellite. The colonial world was barely 20 years old and they could build a new type of Fleet Carrier, along with support fleet all the while setting up colonial civilian centers on Varauta? That stretches credibility for me.

My favorite aspect outside the mecha is the attempt to rationally explain the universe and the tech within it. Some may argue they don't always succeed, but it is nice to see them make a sincere effort in that respect.

Actually upon reflection, what trumps the Fleet Carrier has to be the antics of the Macross Quarter in MF. Those were pretty over the top. :rolleyes:

Actually upon reflection, what trumps the Fleet Carrier has to be the antics of the Macross Quarter in MF. Those were pretty over the top. :rolleyes:

What, you don't believe a ~400m transforming robot/ship can sky surf into a planet on a piece of debris in perfect sync with a musical number?

Lol, admittedly, I was a bit taken aback by that part. The craziest thing there though is not that they do that.. but Wilder calls out Big Wednesday formation and all of the people, sans Cathy, react like "oh this thing" instead of looking shocked or freaked out. This gives the implication that these people HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE! When!? Why!?

Edited by Master Dex

What, you don't believe a ~400m transforming robot/ship can sky surf into a planet on a piece of debris in perfect sync with a musical number?

Lol, admittedly, I was a bit taken aback by that part. The craziest thing there though is not that they do that.. but Wilder calls out Big Wednesday formation and all of the people, sans Cathy, react like "oh this thing" instead of looking shocked or freaked out. This gives the implication that these people HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE! When!? Why!?

You know what.....That never crossed my mind untill now... :blink:

Wilder might be more nostalgic than even NUNS are about video tapes (though let's be honest... Wilder owns that movie on video tape probably, perhaps even purchased from Gavil. THE BEAUTY OF OLD FILMS!!)

Wow that's a pretty obscure reference. In the macross timeline that movie must of become a cult classic over the years after the Zentradi bombardment mainly due to every other movie being destroyed in the aforementioned bombardment.

Gary Busey. Not even an alien bombardment can take him out.

Wilder might be more nostalgic than even NUNS are about video tapes (though let's be honest... Wilder owns that movie on video tape probably, perhaps even purchased from Gavil. THE BEAUTY OF OLD FILMS!!)

Protodevlin video rentals: Please experience the beauty of rewinding before returning.

This is a bit of specific question - In SDF, whenever there would be a shot of a large Zentradi fleet we'd hear the same song in the background. It's four sets of descending notes, played by trumpets, which would finish with a gong as the scene moves to Britai or whoever talking. An example would be 11:12-11:24 in episode 5. I realise it's not very long, but I can't find it in the OST and would love to be able to use it, it's such a powerful few seconds.

Thank you for the previous help with the height of the SDF Macross in storm attacker mode. I have another one for you guys. Does anyone know how tall the VF-4G is supposed to be in battroid? I want to give the true-scale when I update my review to include the Arcadia release.

M3 only gives the fighter mode dimensions but their battroid size comparison chart, which does not use numbers and is not really set up to measure heights makes it seem the VF-4 stands only a bit taller than the VF-1. However looks can always be deceiving. Since the VF-4 Master File book is only just coming out, it is possible these details were never known, but certainly that detail is included in that book so someone who has it, and can read it (like Seto, because we all know he will probably figure it out first, lol) can answer that properly.

M3 only gives the fighter mode dimensions but their battroid size comparison chart, which does not use numbers and is not really set up to measure heights makes it seem the VF-4 stands only a bit taller than the VF-1. However looks can always be deceiving. Since the VF-4 Master File book is only just coming out, it is possible these details were never known, but certainly that detail is included in that book so someone who has it, and can read it (like Seto, because we all know he will probably figure it out first, lol) can answer that properly.

My copy will be here tomorrow, at which point I will dig in and try to find you an answer. I don't recall any publications giving the VF-4 an official battroid mode height off the top of my head.

I'm kind of hazy on this but how are the uncultured Zentradi trained in their war function? I was always under the impression there was some tech in the cloning process that implanted the skills into them. But thinking deeper on it doesn't make sense. I'm completely wrong on this or is there some obscure tech that was described outside of the animes.

I'm kind of hazy on this but how are the uncultured Zentradi trained in their war function? I was always under the impression there was some tech in the cloning process that implanted the skills into them. But thinking deeper on it doesn't make sense. I'm completely wrong on this or is there some obscure tech that was described outside of the animes.[/size]

There is mention of due to lack of people with skills clones are made of competent personnel for emigration fleets. Considering the technology we saw with Sharon Apple being a facsimile of Myung's personality and Grace being able to jump body to body after death I venture to guess yes there is a form of organic memory transfer.

Plus there is mention of the Ethereal Body or Spirit existing in Fold Space. I suppose that is how Miclone Chambers works. Miclone Chambers involve creating clone bodies for the mind to transfer to.

Berger's theory implies Sharon Apple's songs had a biological fold wave-like component even if she is an Artificial Intelligence.

In Macross F's second movie, the EX-gears worn by the special forces appeared to have some kind of active camouflage. Is this accurate, or was it just some technique they used to make it easier to animate?

A related question for Mr. March: On your site's page for the EX-gear special forces variant, did you artificially add the camo pattern? IIRC, this is different than is seen in the movie.

I'm kind of hazy on this but how are the uncultured Zentradi trained in their war function? I was always under the impression there was some tech in the cloning process that implanted the skills into them. But thinking deeper on it doesn't make sense. I'm completely wrong on this or is there some obscure tech that was described outside of the animes.

It's never fully explained, but Zentradi cloning technology does possess the capability of integrating recorded or duplicated memories into clones. It seems likely that their basic training is done via memory implant and further specialized or job-specific training is conducted after the clone emerges from the clone synthesis system.

The UN Forces used this technology in the aftermath of the First Space War to provide sufficient crew and skilled laborers to support emigrant fleet operations.

Considering the technology we saw with Sharon Apple being a facsimile of Myung's personality and Grace being able to jump body to body after death I venture to guess yes there is a form of organic memory transfer.

That's different.

Sharon Apple was, prior to Marj's tampering, operated using a sophisticated computer model of a human brain supplemented in realtime by emotional data sampled from the mind of Myung Fang Lone and external feedback supplied by biometric monitoring of the concert audience. She was not, strictly speaking, a copy of Myung's mind. She was a simulation crudely controlled by, and later imitating, Myung's emotions.

Likewise, Grace wasn't jumping from body to body... she was, by all accounts, remotely operating artificial bodies from afar Ghost in the Shell-style.

In Macross F's second movie, the EX-gears worn by the special forces appeared to have some kind of active camouflage. Is this accurate, or was it just some technique they used to make it easier to animate?

A related question for Mr. March: On your site's page for the EX-gear special forces variant, did you artificially add the camo pattern? IIRC, this is different than is seen in the movie.

IIRC, that art is taken from Macross Chronicle mechanic sheet Movie Frontier NUNS 04A "Special Forces EX-Gear".

The mechanic sheet doesn't mention any kind of active camo capability. It asserts that the camouflage pattern on the NUNS Special Forces EX-Gear isn't even paint... it's self-adhesive stickers that can be easily applied, removed, and changed to equip the suit with camo appropriate for any environment.

It's the same camo tech VFs used in the VF-27, VF-31 and Sv-262.

No, it is not. (See above)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a guesstimation on how big a Variable Glaug is fighter mode when compared to say a VF-1?

Is it the same size as a normal Glaug with it legs spread apart to form the wings?

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/VariableGuraaji/VariableGuraaji.php

(text in black is guesstimations, speculations, or otherwise unconfirmed. Only the green text is official).

In the original opening sequence there is a point where we see a VF-1 firing its rifle, casings are ejecting in what appears to be a "burst" mode and not full-auto, three shells with the same distance between them but a slightly larger gap between shots 3-4,6-7 and so on. Then late into the series we see a VF-1 light a cigarette for a Zentradi with a single shot. Obviously the rifles are using a rotating barrel mechanism allowing a faster and more sustained fire rate but the mechanism shouldn't have a noticeable reset. Are the rifles "selective firing" weapons, if so how is this achieved, remotely or a physical switch on the weapon that just hasn't made the anime's, toys and models? What caliber's have been used? I'm going to assume, this could end badly, that the reason "traditional" firearms are still used is due to energy weapons requiring longer cool-down times, heavy fuel cells/capacitors to power them and simple lack of rate-of-fire? Why else maintain the Monster with "traditional" artillery shells.

Obviously the rifles are using a rotating barrel mechanism allowing a faster and more sustained fire rate but the mechanism shouldn't have a noticeable reset. Are the rifles "selective firing" weapons, if so how is this achieved, remotely or a physical switch on the weapon that just hasn't made the anime's, toys and models?

The VF-1 Valkyrie's GU-11 gun pod is a rotary cannon driven by an electric motor, so the rate of fire can be controlled across a wide range by controlling the speed of the motor. The VF-0 Phoenix's GPU-9 had selectable fire rates ranging from 60rpm to 2,500rpm. The GU-11 tops out at 1,200rpm with its larger rounds, but I'd assume it's able to fire every bit as slow as the GPU-9.

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.2 has an excerpt from a VF-1's JOFTOPS manual that indicates the GU-11A has a selectable rate of fire and could fire in single shots, bursts, and full automatic. This is controlled from the cockpit via the fire control system.

What caliber's have been used?

All variants of the GU-11 described thus far have been built for 55mm rounds of a much greater power than conventional ammunition.

I'm going to assume, this could end badly, that the reason "traditional" firearms are still used is due to energy weapons requiring longer cool-down times, heavy fuel cells/capacitors to power them and simple lack of rate-of-fire? Why else maintain the Monster with "traditional" artillery shells.

The main reason that "traditional" guns are in common use is that the energy conversion armor that pretty much every mecha has is incredibly tough stuff and has good heat resistence. That protection can be defeated with greater ease using special armor-piercing explosive ammo than by trying to get through it with brute force. (It helps that overtechnology improved guns and explosives an awful lot, so these "traditional" guns achieve muzzle velocities you'd probably need a railgun for otherwise. The GU-11 is throwing those 55mm shells downrange at 2km/s, and it's one of the slower ones!)

Most human mecha simply didn't have the generator surplus necessary to achieve the same kind of results with energy weapons that could be achieved with that special AP ammo... destroids had low reactor outputs, and VFs used most of their energy on energy conversion armor to beef up their defensive ability and on flight. You're 0 for 3 on assumptions about disadvantages to energy weapons though... only the massive ones mounted on the largest warships have had any mention of cooldown times between shots, for the most part they're driven off the reactor(s) of the mecha mounting them or capacitors fed from same, and "beam machineguns" are totally a thing. The reason they were mostly secondary or special duty weapons is that the amount of power necessary for a mecha-mounted beam gun to achieve sustainable destruction on a level equal to or greater than those high-powered rotary cannons and their special ammo was not readily achievable until the 5th Generation VFs... which has seen a lot of beam rifles in service.

The Monster uses cannons because what it's got up the pipe is an assortment of specialized artillery rounds for land warfare and anti-ship thermonuclear reaction warheads for space warfare. It exists to make that ugly city-sized alien warship into an ugly but ultimately non-threatening cloud of debris.

Not sure where to post this. is there any macross related exhibits/museum occurring right now around Tokyo? I'll be there next week.

Any other macross related events occurring?

Otherwise my trip will just consist of Nakano akiba and maybe shibuya, plus a bunch of kids stuff.