The Macross super-dimension-energy cannon is a Heavy Quantum Reaction Gun?

Based on the description in Macross Chronicle's technology sheet for Dimension Weapons... yes.

There is, however, some slight terminology confusion on the subject of heavy quantum weapons because of the existence of two (technically three) different types of heavy quantum beam weaponry (and an arguable misidentification of the SMS Macross Quarter's):

• Heavy quantum reaction beam weaponry seems to be the new umbrella term for the weapon that previously went under a host of pseudonyms like super dimension energy cannon, converging beam cannon, assembled beam cannon, converging energy cannon, etc.. They use a resonance fold effect to accelerate and excite the heavy quantum in such a way that the portion of its mass that is displaced into super dimension space returns to realspace, crushing the heavy quantum under its own gravity until it ignites in a fusion explosion that is then projected outward as a beam of fusion plasma. This is most of the beam weapons that use heavy quantum.

• Heavy quantum beam weaponry is a more recent development used on the some of the latest VFs (e.g. YF-29, YF-30) and probably the Macross Quarter as well, which skips the fusion step and just lobs a bolt or beam of heavy quantum downrange so its vast mass can cause kinetic damage (or, in sufficient quantities, apparently warp gravity space-time in a destructive fashion).

• Micro-dimension eater beam weaponry could be called superheavy quantum reaction beam weaponry, since they fire the special super-massive heavy quantum that can only be produced using fold quartz. Its mass is so great that the beam is essentially a stream of micro-fold effects which drag matter into super dimension space.

Admittedly this question is more aimed at Seto since he has the technical info on hand, but concerning the talk of all that... can you explain more about what heavy quantum actually is? I know what the word quantum means in the real world and it sounds like in Macross it refers to a substance, and since the show rarely talks about any of this... I could use a primer I think.

Admittedly this question is more aimed at Seto since he has the technical info on hand, but concerning the talk of all that... can you explain more about what heavy quantum actually is? I know what the word quantum means in the real world and it sounds like in Macross it refers to a substance, and since the show rarely talks about any of this... I could use a primer I think.

Well, they are technically using the real-world definition of "quantum". The real definition, meaning "the minimum amount of a physical entity involved in an interaction". SF fans usually associate the term with zero point energy, which is the lowest energy state in a quantum mechanical system.

In Macross, the term "heavy quantum" refers to a special type of matter which is produced (and used) in various overtechnology devices that employ the unique physics of super dimension space in their operation.1 The physics of its creation aren't explained, but heavy quantum is apparently produced using a crystalline super-dimension resonator made of fold quartz or - much more commonly - its low-purity synthetic equivalent known as fold carbon. What makes it so useful is that it exists in both real space and super dimension space simultaneously, and that 99% or more of its absolutely stonking impossible mass is on the part that's situated in super dimension space. Its mass is so unthinkably huge that, in sufficient quantities, its gravity will cause it to collapse in on itself and begin a fusion reaction if drawn fully into real space. The super heavy quantum produced using fold quartz has SO MUCH mass that, if drawn fully into realspace using a fold resonance, its gravity will be so intense that everything caught in its pull will be destroyed before its gravity summarily ejects it from the material universe and it ends up in super dimension space.

It's manipulation of that incredible mass that makes it so useful. It's used in tiny quantities to provide gravitational compression of fuel in thermonuclear reaction systems and in reaction warheads, it's used for spatial manipulation like gravity control and fold-based systems like fold communications or drives, the various forms of heavy quantum beam weaponry either fire it neat or let it fuse and "fire" it by funneling the resulting explosion toward the enemy, etc.

1. Thermonuclear reaction systems, dimensional energy conversion systems, gravity inertia control systems, fold systems, reaction weapons, and dimensional weapons for starters.

Ragnayanyan

I've come across some concept art that Thomas Romain did for Delta and it got me to wondering, I've never been able to find much in the way of concept art for Frontier. Are there any books or other sources that showed the worldbuilding concept art for Frontier, similar to this or what was in Macross Perfect Memory for the original series?

Well, they are technically using the real-world definition of "quantum". The real definition, meaning "the minimum amount of a physical entity involved in an interaction". SF fans usually associate the term with zero point energy, which is the lowest energy state in a quantum mechanical system.

In Macross, the term "heavy quantum" refers to a special type of matter which is produced (and used) in various overtechnology devices that employ the unique physics of super dimension space in their operation.1 The physics of its creation aren't explained, but heavy quantum is apparently produced using a crystalline super-dimension resonator made of fold quartz or - much more commonly - its low-purity synthetic equivalent known as fold carbon. What makes it so useful is that it exists in both real space and super dimension space simultaneously, and that 99% or more of its absolutely stonking impossible mass is on the part that's situated in super dimension space. Its mass is so unthinkably huge that, in sufficient quantities, its gravity will cause it to collapse in on itself and begin a fusion reaction if drawn fully into real space. The super heavy quantum produced using fold quartz has SO MUCH mass that, if drawn fully into realspace using a fold resonance, its gravity will be so intense that everything caught in its pull will be destroyed before its gravity summarily ejects it from the material universe and it ends up in super dimension space.

It's manipulation of that incredible mass that makes it so useful. It's used in tiny quantities to provide gravitational compression of fuel in thermonuclear reaction systems and in reaction warheads, it's used for spatial manipulation like gravity control and fold-based systems like fold communications or drives, the various forms of heavy quantum beam weaponry either fire it neat or let it fuse and "fire" it by funneling the resulting explosion toward the enemy, etc.

1. Thermonuclear reaction systems, dimensional energy conversion systems, gravity inertia control systems, fold systems, reaction weapons, and dimensional weapons for starters.

That's pretty cool. Still unobtanium at best, but I guess not entirely handwavium either. I say that reluctantly because the description almost sounds like it could pass for an explanation of dark matter which today is still baffling scientists. Massive gravitational interactions by something that is not physically there (as far as we can tell), hints of higher dimensional stuff? One could guess that heavy quantum, via super dimension space, is merely just the way this story chose to explain dark matter (and likely dark energy by extension but that is a bigger conversation). Things like that are one reason that while Macross isn't a hard sci-fi it still manages to take things a step beyond the handwaviums of other soft sci-fi, including Star Trek.

I'd go on but this isn't a discussion thread. I'd be happy to hear and discuss it more though via another topic or PMs though if you like.

Official publications (e.g. Macross Chronicle) indicate the retractable armor cover on the underside of the gun is designed to deploy like that to improve the weapon's heat dissipation and, in so doing, extend the time it can be continuously fired without overheating.

Meh. Seems like flaky reasoning, but nothing the series hasn't gleefully dabbled in before. That would be a terrible design choice, hampering its effectiveness in what is arguably its most ubiquitous form. I'd have much preferred if it went un-justified and when asked the creators just said "I dunno, I thought it would be cool."

I've come across some concept art that Thomas Romain did for Delta and it got me to wondering, I've never been able to find much in the way of concept art for Frontier. Are there any books or other sources that showed the worldbuilding concept art for Frontier, similar to this or what was in Macross Perfect Memory for the original series?

Many of the early Frontier magazines and charcter books have environmental art in them and the Junya Ishigaki Works book has design sketches of the quarter, the Vajra and various other Frontier art he worked on http://www.ebooksart.com/2013/04/junya-ishigaki-works-robo-no-ishi.html.

I don't know, I always thought it was something that made sense because it's Battroid "hand" held specific. In other words, in fighter mode, you'd assume it was moving at some speed, so it doesn't require any further cooling to keep the barrel under melting temps. If you're deploying the weapon and aren't moving though, then the cover opens so you can get some air cooling effects.

However, none of this makes much sense if you're not in some sort of atmosphere.

Meh. Seems like flaky reasoning, but nothing the series hasn't gleefully dabbled in before. That would be a terrible design choice, hampering its effectiveness in what is arguably its most ubiquitous form. I'd have much preferred if it went un-justified and when asked the creators just said "I dunno, I thought it would be cool."

Hi I'm new here and want to apologize if this has been posted before. I'm looking for the Robotech Macross series with Audio in Japan and english Subs. Is this

Macross Super Dimension Fortress: Complete Box set - 36 Episodes the only way to get it? I saw a Robotech Classic collection but that only had the first 18 episodes and didn't see a volume 2.

I also see the colection you can buy fairly inexpensive on Target and Walmart but does that have the English Subs?

Thanks again

Kevin

Hi I'm new here and want to apologize if this has been posted before. I'm looking for the Robotech Macross series with Audio in Japan and english Subs. Is this

Macross Super Dimension Fortress: Complete Box set - 36 Episodes the only way to get it? I saw a Robotech Classic collection but that only had the first 18 episodes and didn't see a volume 2.

I also see the colection you can buy fairly inexpensive on Target and Walmart but does that have the English Subs?

Thanks again

Kevin

If you're looking for the original SDF Macross (as it was aired in Japan), with English subtitles, I believe the AnimEigo release is your best option. Here's an eBay listing for the AnimEigo version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-Super-Dimension-Fortress-Vol-1-9-Complete-Box-Set-AnimEigo-/191670672085?hash=item2ca0765ad5:g:~zMAAOSwmrlUwvPK

If you keep looking around, you'll most likely find one a bit less expensive though. You can find it as a complete box set or as three individual sets (1-3, 4-6, 7-9).

Here's some other information regarding different releases as well: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118002

Hope this helps, and happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Edited by RDX17

I'm not an expert on Macross dvd releases but if you are looking for Japanese audio and english subs stay away from anything with Robbotech on the title. Robotech is dub only with certain liberties taken with the story.

Not true. Kev72 is right in that the Robotech Classic collection also holds the subbed version of the original SDF Macross. Only up to episode 18, though, as he wrote.

There are some videos found on Youtube when one searches for JUNNA and they have this same spelling (all caps) but apparently a different singer? Or is any of them actually her?

There are some videos found on Youtube when one searches for JUNNA and they have this same spelling (all caps) but apparently a different singer? Or is any of them actually her?

If they are another singer (which I think is most likely), it is a case of just using the same name. An example is Nova Mob, which could refer to a 1990's American band or a 2000's Filipino rapper group (which is actually short for Novaliches Mob).

If you're looking for the original SDF Macross (as it was aired in Japan), with English subtitles, I believe the AnimEigo release is your best option. Here's an eBay listing for the AnimEigo version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-Super-Dimension-Fortress-Vol-1-9-Complete-Box-Set-AnimEigo-/191670672085?hash=item2ca0765ad5:g:~zMAAOSwmrlUwvPK

If you keep looking around, you'll most likely find one a bit less expensive though. You can find it as a complete box set or as three individual sets (1-3, 4-6, 7-9).

Here's some other information regarding different releases as well: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118002

Hope this helps, and happy to answer any other questions you may have.

RT's website used to sell the left over inventory from Anime Eigo when they demanded all the left over inventory after they didn't renew AE's license (I managed to get my set at their fire sale before the end), but when the AE stock was sold out that is all there was.

HG didn't have the right to use the remastered Japanese audio tracks made by AE, because AE licensed those directly from Japan, so even the Harmony Gold DVD's with the Japanese audio tracks and subs are not the same and inferior to the actual AE releases.

Edited by Zinjo

HG didn't have the right to use the remastered Japanese audio tracks made by AE, because AE licensed those directly from Japan, so even the Harmony Gold DVD's with the Japanese audio tracks and subs are not the same and inferior to the actual AE releases.

Great information! Thanks for sharing that.

I heard it mentioned on the Delta recap show, but is Macross Delta really getting a mid-season break (as in becoming a split-cour show)? That's pretty unusual for Macross.

I heard it mentioned on the Delta recap show, but is Macross Delta really getting a mid-season break (as in becoming a split-cour show)? That's pretty unusual for Macross.

Unusual for Macross indeed. There hasn't been anything in the most recent Japanese print or social media outlets that has given anyone I know that impression. Is there a transcript of that particulate show floating around somewhere?

Not that I know of, but it was the most recent, done for episode 8. I think it was Celia Rose that said it, but since Mr. March and EXO are also on the show and didn't dispute it I am left wondering.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any recordings of May'n singing with Fire Bomber? Seriously after all these years I have yet to hear any duet songs between Basara and Sheryl!

A lot really. Fukuyama-san appeared at one of her concerts to duet Totsugeki Love Heart. Probably more examples. Just search YouTube.

Are there any recordings of May'n singing with Fire Bomber? Seriously after all these years I have yet to hear any duet songs between Basara and Sheryl!

Macross FB7 kind of satisfied this need, didn't it?

That too, since we got NyanNyan FIRE!! ~ Totsugeki Planet Explosion out of it (Plus Virgin Story, but that one was just a Fire Bomber song).

Seems the video of May'n and Fukuyama singing Totsugeki Love Heart isn't on youtube anymore. It was on May'n's own page I think at one point.. maybe studio wanted it taken down. Oh well, there are also videos of them and Megumi Nakajima doing the aforementioned song as well.

Can anyone help Identify this Mech from Ep 27 to the left?

Looks like a cross between a Destroid and Orguss.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-06-11 23.19.15.png

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-orguss-valkyrie.htm

Like several other little things in that episode, it's an in-joke reference to other projects Studio Nue was working on. In this case, obviously, it was Super Dimension Century Orguss.

Earlier in the episode, one of the Zentradi ships in Vrlitwhai's fleet is shown with a skull and crossbones painted on the prow as a nod to Studio Nue's redesign of the Arcadia for the Space Pirate Captain Harlock prequel Arcadia of my Youth.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-orguss-valkyrie.htm

Like several other little things in that episode, it's an in-joke reference to other projects Studio Nue was working on. In this case, obviously, it was Super Dimension Century Orguss.

Earlier in the episode, one of the Zentradi ships in Vrlitwhai's fleet is shown with a skull and crossbones painted on the prow as a nod to Studio Nue's redesign of the Arcadia for the Space Pirate Captain Harlock prequel Arcadia of my Youth.

Sweet I didn't know about the harlock reference. Is there a screenshot somewhere? Edited by Sandman

Why are there so many cafes in Macross city? I counted four different ones just watching DYRL? and going through line art today. That's not including Cafe Variation in the TV show. Which got me thinking more, there's a new Honda being marketed in a scene in DYRL!!! so HOW big is the Macross economy? I can understand it's highly concentrated making for Hong Kong like density but can a city of 76,000 really support a full scale pop concert at the same time as having packed streets, restaurants and cafes? Where exactly would you drive your new Honda by the way? Isn't the city only 500 metres long??!!

In DYRL, the roads are three-dimensional as I recall. You can drive STRAIGHT UP! Tell me a sportscar buff wouldn't want to drive towards the sky.

As far as the broader economy... I refuse to poke too hard at it. It is like trying to figure out why everyone has VFs when a destroid/fighter jet pair ought to be more economical and reliable. In the end, there is no good answer and you just destroy the show's credibility.