Someone told me somewhere a long while ago that Zolans can't procreate with Humans is this true or false, but since Michael is thought to be part Zolan and so is Mirage I guess that notion is false?

The bit about Zolans not being able to procreate with Humans is, IIRC, an assumption made by fans based on an overheard line from a Zolan localization of Romeo and Juliet that is briefly audible in Macross Dynamite 7. It doesn't actually say that "Zomeo" can't get "Zoliet" pregnant, just that she thinks they can't raise a child together because he's human and therefore doesn't have a pouch. (Zolans apparently share some traits with marsupials.)

Macross Frontier's Michael Blanc is supposedly part-Zentradi and part-Zolan, so that would tend to cap the argument in favor of "Yes, they can"... though it's worth noting that the design aesthetic WRT the ears as a species trait is inconsistent from Frontier's designs onwards.

Prior to Frontier, the aesthetic had been that Zentradi had the pointy "Spock ears", and the Zolans had the full-blown Record of Lodoss War "elf ears". That got muddied somewhat in Frontier and its related titles. Michael Blanc has a mixture of the elf ears and Spock ears, presumably because he's part-Zentradi and part-Zolan. Anri Mahlberg's pure Zolan and has the Lodoss War elf ears. Male Zentradi seem to have kept the Spock ears, but several female Zentradi (Klan) and part-Zentradi (Mirage) seem to have been given more subdued versions of the elf ears, and other part-Zentradi women like Ranka Lee and Chelsea Scarlett have rounded human-like ears.

The bit about Zolans not being able to procreate with Humans is, IIRC, an assumption made by fans based on an overheard line from a Zolan localization of Romeo and Juliet that is briefly audible in Macross Dynamite 7. It doesn't actually say that "Zomeo" can't get "Zoliet" pregnant, just that she thinks they can't raise a child together because he's human and therefore doesn't have a pouch. (Zolans apparently share some traits with marsupials.)

Macross Frontier's Michael Blanc is supposedly part-Zentradi and part-Zolan, so that would tend to cap the argument in favor of "Yes, they can"... though it's worth noting that the design aesthetic WRT the ears as a species trait is inconsistent from Frontier's designs onwards.

Prior to Frontier, the aesthetic had been that Zentradi had the pointy "Spock ears", and the Zolans had the full-blown Record of Lodoss War "elf ears". That got muddied somewhat in Frontier and its related titles. Michael Blanc has a mixture of the elf ears and Spock ears, presumably because he's part-Zentradi and part-Zolan. Anri Mahlberg's pure Zolan and has the Lodoss War elf ears. Male Zentradi seem to have kept the Spock ears, but several female Zentradi (Klan) and part-Zentradi (Mirage) seem to have been given more subdued versions of the elf ears, and other part-Zentradi women like Ranka Lee and Chelsea Scarlett have rounded human-like ears.

Actually it's rather consistent with human inter-racial children who may or may not take on the distinct traits of either parent.

Actually it's rather consistent with human inter-racial children who may or may not take on the distinct traits of either parent.

Very true... but not the inconsistency I was pointing out. The inconsistency is that, starting in Frontier, Zentradi and part-Zentradi females have sporadically been depicted with smaller anime elf ears rather than the Spock ears or rounded ears that had been used in every previous title. It's not a uniform change either... it's ONLY on the female Zentradi characters, and only on a few of them (Klan, Pixie Platoon, and Mirage). The others have all kept the Spock ears or rounded ears, even in titles that came out after Frontier (e.g. Chelsea Scarlett, Angers 672, and apparently Reina Prowler).

Great information. I always wondered how that worked.

Oh, and since you're a good cohort of my own nefarious agenda, allow me the honor of a petty upvote for your post :)

The bit about Zolans not being able to procreate with Humans is, IIRC, an assumption made by fans based on an overheard line from a Zolan localization of Romeo and Juliet that is briefly audible in Macross Dynamite 7. It doesn't actually say that "Zomeo" can't get "Zoliet" pregnant, just that she thinks they can't raise a child together because he's human and therefore doesn't have a pouch. (Zolans apparently share some traits with marsupials.)Macross Frontier's Michael Blanc is supposedly part-Zentradi and part-Zolan, so that would tend to cap the argument in favor of "Yes, they can"... though it's worth noting that the design aesthetic WRT the ears as a species trait is inconsistent from Frontier's designs onwards.

It's VERY clearly heard on the "Radio Fire" album, and (even though it's from "Zomeo and Zoliet" just as clearly mentioned as a fact. Zoliet says that they can't breed, and the narrator of the show chimes in and explains that yes, it's true that humans and Zolans can't have children together.

It's just an oversight from the Frontier staff. Nothing more.

It's VERY clearly heard on the "Radio Fire" album, and (even though it's from "Zomeo and Zoliet" just as clearly mentioned as a fact. Zoliet says that they can't breed, and the narrator of the show chimes in and explains that yes, it's true that humans and Zolans can't have children together.

It's just an oversight from the Frontier staff. Nothing more.

Duly noted. Thanks for sourcing that. :) I don't have that album, I've only ever heard the bit that's in Macross Dynamite 7...

Seems like they've decided to roll with their error, though... Macross Chronicle's Worldguide 13A "Various Planets" also notes that it seems possible for humans to mate with Zolans.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Duly noted. Thanks for sourcing that. :) I don't have that album, I've only ever heard the bit that's in Macross Dynamite 7...

Seems like they've decided to roll with their error, though... Macross Chronicle's Worldguide 13A "Various Planets" also notes that it seems possible for humans to mate with Zolans.

Well, that's what the Macrosspedia was born for :wub::D

Let me know what you think of this...

Zolan

• Zolans are a human-like race native to the Planet Zola. They appear nearly identical to humans except for their large, pointed ears and some males feature prominent hair covered forearms. Zolans other distinctive feature is two-tone hair color; their bangs and the rest of their hair are different colors. NOTE: Originally, it appears Zolans and Humans could not procreate, but that status has since changed in the later Macross continuity. In the Macross Dynamite 7 animated series (Episode 4, Time Index 9:57 start, 10:55 specific line) there is a Zolan localization of the play Romeo and Juliet that can be heard in the background. The character of "Zoliet" says she cannot have a baby with "Zomeo" can't raise a child together because the human Zomeo lacks a pouch and is therefore not a marsupial. In the album Radio Fire!! ZZNKQB National Broadcast (Zola) an additional line of dialog during the radio play track "Zomeo and Zoliet" can be heard by a narrator who states Zolans and Humans are not capable of breeding. However, in Macross Frontier: 2059 Memories (published October 24, 2008) it is stated Michael Blanc is partially-Zentradi and partially-Zolan, which confirms conception across species. Macross Chronicle 2E Worldguide 13A "Various Planets" states that in light of the Zolan body functions and intelligence being comparable to a Human, it seems possible that they could mate with Humans. The novels of Macross Frontier (four volumes "Close Encounter", "Break Down", "Anata no oto" ("Your Sound") and "Triangler", published July 2008 to March 2009, Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co. Ltd.) also states Michael Blanc is partially Zolan. It should also be noted that the design aesthetic of the Zolan ears as a species trait is inconsistent from Macross Frontier and onward. Prior to Macross Frontier, the established aesthetic depicted Zentradi ears as pointed on top yet proportioned much like human ears, whereas Zolans ears were pointed but also much larger and protruded laterally from the head. Michael Blanc has a mixture of the ear design presumably because of his mixed Zentradi/Zolan heritage. Anri Mahlberg appears in Macross The Ride as a pure Zolan and has the distinctive ears. From Macross Frontier onward, male Zentradi appear to retain pointed ears, but several female Zentradi like Klan Klang and part-Zentradi like Mirage Jenius have subdued forms of Zolan-style ears while other partially-Zentradi women like Ranka Lee have rounded human-like ears.

Hooray for the march of science!

That'd be my excuse, that it used to be true but medical advances made it possible.

On Zolan hybrids my take on it is that it is an in universe Did not do research. We don't know exactly when humanity made contact with the Zolans. My guess they can't wrap their minds on the fact they are related to humans and Zentradi. As seen on the Rax ruin episode the Protoculture planned their sub-races to procreate.

Can you imagine the cultural impact of discovering your race is engineered when archeological and evolutionary evidence run contrary to it?

Global himself was reluctant to admit humans were creations of the Protoculture reasoning there must be another answer.

Only in Macross Zero did we get the answer. Yes humanity did evolve on Earth but the reason for their present form is because the Protoculture used a virus to manipulate genes.

Maybe the radio show is just to show the viewer how 'backwards' the Zolans are? In the sense that the radio show is reinforcing a cultural stereotype or resistance to interracial marriages among the Zolans.

Nevertheless, as Kawamori san has repeatedly stated - what you see is a dramatization of the real events. And as dramatizations aren't necessarily always accurate in illustrating their story goals...

Maybe the radio show is just to show the viewer how 'backwards' the Zolans are? In the sense that the radio show is reinforcing a cultural stereotype or resistance to interracial marriages among the Zolans.

Nevertheless, as Kawamori san has repeatedly stated - what you see is a dramatization of the real events. And as dramatizations aren't necessarily always accurate in illustrating their story goals...

Well the relationship between Zomeo and Zuliet is soap opera-ish. He is a rich prince like guy from outside the country who knows little of Zola, Zoliet is his maid that falls in love with. Tragedy being even they do get married they can't have babies or so the writers would want us to believe. All for the drama.

Much like Macross Zero's Mayans the Zolans are losing their tribal traditions. To the point they don't know there is a large Whale graveyard on their planet. There are Zolans who support Lactence's pro-Earth stance and that is a bit disturbing. But I guess them losing tribal tradition was before they even met the humans.

I guessing Macross Delta would be dealing with the consequences of humanity mingling with alien races.

Also further confusing the issue, is that each Macross show takes place in a different universe from the others. Each has different rules, in some Zolans can mate with Humans, and in others they cant.

Only Macross II and various micro-continuities such as games. The main timeline continuity is treated as meta-fiction.

Edited by RedWolf

Well the relationship between Zomeo and Zuliet is soap opera-ish. He is a rich prince like guy from outside the country who knows little of Zola, Zoliet is his maid that falls in love with. Tragedy being even they do get married they can't have babies or so the writers would want us to believe. All for the drama.

Much like Macross Zero's Mayans the Zolans are losing their tribal traditions. To the point they don't now there is a large Whale graveyard on their planet. There are Zolans who support Lactence's pro-Earth stance and that is a bit disturbing. But I guess them losing tribal tradition was before they even met the humans.

I guessing Macross Delta would be dealing with the consequences of humanity mingling with alien races.

Only Macross II and various micro-continuities such as games. The main timeline continuity is treated as meta-fiction.

I can only hope it has more depth than that, such as the negative effects of colonization on indigenous cultures. Think of the North American Indians, Africans, Polynesia, even cultural colonization of Japan starting in the 17th century through the 19th and culminating with the forced "Convention of Kanagawa" by American Commodore Perry in the 1850's.

I would love this series to be a theme with that sort of depth. After a time an indigenous people may fight back to preserve their culture or forceably (or not) to be assimilated into a foreign culture whereby their own dies.

Edited by Zinjo

Considering Producer Kawamori`s official stance is nothing is cannon, and everything is cannon. Yeah, its not very strict.

Not quite.

The broad strokes of the universe and the technical aspects are the official continuity, but the media productions are considered to be "based" on historical events and dramatized.

Not quite.

The broad strokes of the universe and the technical aspects are the official continuity, but the media productions are considered to be "based" on historical events and dramatized.

The effect is pretty much what Bariaburu Faita said. And he asked Kawamori directly.

I directly spoke to Producer Kawamori and asked him a question about Macross II being on the official timeline at the first Macross Museum Talkshow. His reply was that "they are all parallel worlds".

Now since he didn`t explain exactly what that means, here is my opinion on what that means.

Each Macross show, story, event, etc,... exists in its own pocket universe. Each show has its own timeline where there are past and future events that fit with what happened in that specific show.

The setting for the Macross Museum indicated it was set in 2060 and made the events of DYRL sound like they actually happened. But from what was shown in Macross 7, it was supposed to be an in universe fictional movie.

Thus there are 2 separate universes where DYRL is either real, or fiction. Plus very likely many many more.

Also, the 2 Macross Museums exist in separate timelines, in the first one, somehow the museum curator was able to find out about events 30 years in the future, while the one for the second one did not.

These are the in universe explanations, the real world reasons could be as simple as some staff members not knowing a detail about a past show and making a contradiction. And "They are all parallel worlds" is just a catch all excuse for the contradiction.

Not quite.

Edited by Bariaburu Faita

I can't help translate, but I did look through all my books for a better version of this particular grouping of line art. Sadly, the picture from Macross Perfect Memory is the only one I could find. Don't know if this helps or not, but here's the best scan I could make of the image. I also included a light contrast version of each piece of text.

post-114-0-62942500-1458538343_thumb.gif

I directly spoke to Producer Kawamori and asked him a question about Macross II being on the official timeline at the first Macross Museum Talkshow. His reply was that "they are all parallel worlds".

Now since he didn`t explain exactly what that means, here is my opinion on what that means.

Each Macross show, story, event, etc,... exists in its own pocket universe. Each show has its own timeline where there are past and future events that fit with what happened in that specific show.

The setting for the Macross Museum indicated it was set in 2060 and made the events of DYRL sound like they actually happened. But from what was shown in Macross 7, it was supposed to be an in universe fictional movie.

Thus there are 2 separate universes where DYRL is either real, or fiction. Plus very likely many many more.

Also, the 2 Macross Museums exist in separate timelines, in the first one, somehow the museum curator was able to find out about events 30 years in the future, while the one for the second one did not.

These are the in universe explanations, the real world reasons could be as simple as some staff members not knowing a detail about a past show and making a contradiction. And "They are all parallel worlds" is just a catch all excuse for the contraction.

WoW!! That is what I would call shattering the confines of any Canon Nazi's... :p Good for him! He learned pretty well the lessons of Star Trek and its fandomites... ;)

I can't help translate, but I did look through all my books for a better version of this particular grouping of line art. Sadly, the picture from Macross Perfect Memory is the only one I could find. Don't know if this helps or not, but here's the best scan I could make of the image. I also included a light contrast version of each piece of text.

I'm having a hard time making out some of the words, but I see "pod" (ポド) and "takeoff" (発進) in both, so I'm guessing that they're both identifying points where battle pods can be launched from the ship (the hangar in the rear and that black spot up top?).

EDIT: As I was just reminded, the official trivia gives this craft three launch bays for battle pods... two centerline and one rear.

WoW!! That is what I would call shattering the confines of any Canon Nazi's... :p Good for him! He learned pretty well the lessons of Star Trek and its fandomites... ;)

's not exactly a new position on his part... he's been using similar statements to justify Macross's broad strokes continuity for something like twenty years now. I think the only thing that's really different now is he's started explicitly including Macross II: Lovers Again in that... though its creators actually gave it its own self-contained continuity.

It's not a bad approach, mind, since it gives him a free hand to do whatever he wants with any new Macross title without having to worry about the little details of previous works (he can either change their context of ignore them outright) and thus can handily sidestep potential continuity lockout problems and handwave all the various examples of zeerust that will inevitably occur as time passes.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm having a hard time making out some of the words, but I see "pod" (ポド) and "takeoff" (発進) in both, so I'm guessing that they're both identifying points where battle pods can be launched from the ship (the hangar in the rear and that black spot up top?).

EDIT: As I was just reminded, the official trivia gives this craft three launch bays for battle pods... two centerline and one rear.

's not exactly a new position on his part... he's been using similar statements to justify Macross's broad strokes continuity for something like twenty years now. I think the only thing that's really different now is he's started explicitly including Macross II: Lovers Again in that... though its creators actually gave it its own self-contained continuity.

Thanks dude! I've updated the Picket entries on the M3 (both SDF Macross and DYRL) just to be a little more specific about those features. I also noted that the ship obviously contains an unknown number of battle pods, since it has three launchers for them :)

I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on the Macross II continuity thing, given you are our expert in all things MII. I agree that it seems inspite of the "pliable continuity" applied to each installment, Macross II continues to be set apart, even in the Macross Chronicle. Which is not surprising when you think about it; at AD 2067 now with Macross Delta, it may only be two or three more Macross TV shows before the official continuity is caught up to the MII timeline and I don't think anyone is honestly expecting MII-style tech or mecha to suddenly take over the official universe :)

It's not a bad approach, mind, since it gives him a free hand to do whatever he wants with any new Macross title without having to worry about the little details of previous works (he can either change their context of ignore them outright) and thus can handily sidestep potential continuity lockout problems and handwave all the various examples of zeerust that will inevitably occur as time passes.

I can respect it, but there are benefits to creative limitation as well. It forces the writer to come up with creative ways to solve continuity problems, often in exciting ways.

I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on the Macross II continuity thing, given you are our expert in all things MII. I agree that it seems inspite of the "pliable continuity" applied to each installment, Macross II continues to be set apart, even in the Macross Chronicle. Which is not surprising when you think about it; at AD 2067 now with Macross Delta, it may only be two or three more Macross TV shows before the official continuity is caught up to the MII timeline and I don't think anyone is honestly expecting MII-style tech or mecha to suddenly take over the official universe :)

To be fair, the Macross Chronicle coverage was separate for all of the Macross movies except Macross Plus's... no doubt because the differences between versions of the story were much less significant than usual.

As far as Macross's ongoing continuity catching up to the time period of Macross II and its technology, we've already seen a couple examples of technological convergence... but I'm convinced those convergences are simply coincidental. It's mostly minor stuff like the portable full-body holographics, the pilot seat of VFs incorporating a powered armature intended to help combat g-force strains on the pilot, railguns as gun pods, or VFs that are modeled on Zentradi battle suits. (On that last note, the two timelines went with different suits... Macross II's are modeled on the Nousjadeul-Ger, and the ongoing continuity's on the Queadluun-Rau.) I doubt we will see anything overtly Macross II though...

I can respect it, but there are benefits to creative limitation as well. It forces the writer to come up with creative ways to solve continuity problems, often in exciting ways.

True... but after a while the problems can start to compound, like what seems to happen every few years in the American comic book industry when they reboot titles after sales-boosting crossovers result in continuity lockout and sales start to slip.

That's the problem with some of the line art - the designers have less than legible scrawl when they make their notes (even native speakers occasionally have trouble with it...).

As he said, the rear one is simply "Pod Launch Port" (takeoff being a more literal interpretation). The forward ones are... well, partially illegible. I can make out "Central Wing Veta* Pod Launch Port".

* Also able to be rendered "Beta". Online dictionaries spit out Betta (as in the Siamese Fighting Fish), or completely/wholly, or 'there are no openings/gaps in the entire thing'.

That's the problem with some of the line art - the designers have less than legible scrawl when they make their notes (even native speakers occasionally have trouble with it...).

Well, I feel a little better about not being able to make out all of it...

Uh... Have you seen the Delta preview episode yet?

Seto Kaiba said: I doubt we will see anything overtly Macross II though...

Yes, I have... several times, in fact.

Other than the apparent hint at an enemy songstress, I didn't really see anything that could be characterized as a distinct nod to Macross II... at least, not in the way Macross 7 Trash, Macross the First, and a handful of other official and fanmade titles have. Did you have something particular in mind?

The Squire drones on the Drakken stood out the most in my mind.

Well, I feel a little better about not being able to make out all of it...

Yes, I have... several times, in fact.

Other than the apparent hint at an enemy songstress, I didn't really see anything that could be characterized as a distinct nod to Macross II... at least, not in the way Macross 7 Trash, Macross the First, and a handful of other official and fanmade titles have. Did you have something particular in mind?

To be fair, the Macross Chronicle coverage was separate for all of the Macross movies except Macross Plus's... no doubt because the differences between versions of the story were much less significant than usual.

As far as Macross's ongoing continuity catching up to the time period of Macross II and its technology, we've already seen a couple examples of technological convergence... but I'm convinced those convergences are simply coincidental. It's mostly minor stuff like the portable full-body holographics, the pilot seat of VFs incorporating a powered armature intended to help combat g-force strains on the pilot, railguns as gun pods, or VFs that are modeled on Zentradi battle suits. (On that last note, the two timelines went with different suits... Macross II's are modeled on the Nousjadeul-Ger, and the ongoing continuity's on the Queadluun-Rau.) I doubt we will see anything overtly Macross II though...

True... but after a while the problems can start to compound, like what seems to happen every few years in the American comic book industry when they reboot titles after sales-boosting crossovers result in continuity lockout and sales start to slip.

I don't advocate dogmatic adherence to creative limitation, but abandoning it all together gives us just as many problems. The most frequent in hollywood are the "vanity projects" by producers and directors...

You could make that point, but it could also be counter argued that it is an extension of the ghost AI drones seen since Mac Plus. I prefer to view them as a M2 nod, regardless of the official explanation... ;)

The Sv-262's Lilldraken drones? I can't say I agree... they're physically connected to the airframe of the Draken "mothership", and used like a Ghost Booster until ejected. That'd put them more in the same category as the VF-0's Raid configuration from the final episode of Macross Zero or (most closely) the VF-27γSP Super Lucifer from the Macross Frontier movies. The VF-27γSP had the ability to detach its QF-5100D Goblin II booster for independent operation in the same manner.

The VF-2SS Super Valkyrie II's bits are never connected to the airframe... they're launched separately, and aren't capable of being operated autonomously. By in large, they're bits in the Gundam sense except they're computer-controlled instead of controlled by psycommu (so sort of like the GN Fangs in Gundam 00). The VF-4ST Super Siren's funnels in the Macross II prequel video game (for PC Engine) Macross: Eternal Love Song did start out docked to the fighter, but they weren't autonomous either.