I'd be interested in hearing it.

OK. Kept short and sweet, both thermonuclear reaction power systems and thermonuclear reaction weaponry use the exotic, super-high mass matter known as heavy quantum (heavy quanta?) to catalyze and control the reaction. Heavy quantum's mass is so obscenely huge that, in sufficient quantities, it'll crush itself so hard it'll auto-ignite in a fusion reaction when subjected to the physics of the three-dimensional universe. This effect is what's used to moderate and catalyze the reactions inside of reaction engines, and as a substitute for the fission trigger in thermonuclear reaction weaponry. In power generation systems, I suspect that's being exploited to allow the reaction furnace to sustain itself on the proton-proton chain reactions normally found inside stars... which would increase the energy yield of the hydrogen fuel about 21.2x over just fusing the hydrogen and stopping there.

IMO, there are two possible explanations for why a thermonuclear reaction warhead might leave behind some radioactive byproducts. Either they're using some other overtechnology to catalyze the fusion reaction instead of heavy quantum, or they're not using enough heavy quantum to bring the higher-dimension spatial physics into play and thus the reaction is producing a fair amount of gamma radiation in addition to the enormous release of heat.

they're not using enough heavy quantum to bring the higher-dimension spatial physics into play and thus the reaction is producing a fair amount of gamma radiation in addition to the enormous release of heat.

I like the sounds of this one. I've never really explored the science behind Macross. Didn't realize they went to such lengths.

In Zero heavy quantum would be new to us and as with all new technology and resources production is very limited to start so not having enough would be very plausible.

You mean the ONLY instance...? Episode 6.

I only ever saw them in episode 5. So are you saying the name was spoken by the characters in episode 6 without actual Variable Fighters appearing? I can't find any part of the subtitles that has "SFV-26" or "Cavaliers" in it.

I mean everything from anime, books, figure packaging etc, when were they first named?

Edited by Primus1X

I only ever saw them in episode 5. So are you saying the name was spoken by the characters in episode 6 without actual Variable Fighters appearing? I can't find any part of the subtitles that has "SFV-26" or "Cavaliers" in it.I mean everything from anime, books, figure packaging etc, when were they first named?

Oops, sorry... I meant 5. :wacko:

I'm pretty sure they were first named by Yamato. Later, they showed up in one of the Master File books.

Edited by Gubaba

• 1 month later...

What story is there? They said she was born... Do you know more of the story than that?

When was she born? Because I looked in Macross Graffiti and they were in the park with the Jenius family.

Were the Jenius family on the Megaroad-01 and then departed on a different journey part way?

When was she born? Because I looked in Macross Graffiti and they were in the park with the Jenius family.Were the Jenius family on the Megaroad-01 and then departed on a different journey part way?

Well... That sequence in Graffiti was pretty much invalidated by later events in the series. Note that there, they even changed to a new calendar, and the caption for that pic places it in "Year 0003 of the New Era."

Plus, the way Misa meets Riber and the way her mother dies are vastly different than in "White Reminiscences."

Well... That sequence in Graffiti was pretty much invalidated by later events in the series. Note that there, they even changed to a new calendar, and the caption for that pic places it in "Year 0003 of the New Era."

Plus, the way Misa meets Riber and the way her mother dies are vastly different than in "White Reminiscences."

The New Era calendar begins in 2013 (coinciding with the mass production/mass launching of Emigrant Ships/Fleets). Thus, Miko was born in 2016.

Nevertheless, to answer the question about the rest of Miko's story: she disappeared with the rest of the main characters in SDFM when they disappeared into a "dark hole" at the center of the galaxy in 2016.

My current web host is doing something wonky with the timeline php that has the info on the New Era. However, the linky works for the php on the fate of the main characters: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/OTother/MinmeiLastMessage.php

So is Macross Graffiti the only piece of fiction where she exists?

So is Macross Graffiti the only piece of fiction where she exists?

IIRC, she's listed in other works... In fact, she must be, because I got Macross Graffiti about ten years ago or so, but I knew about Miku in the '80s. She was probably mentioned in Macross Guide Book (which I no longer have).

Edited by Gubaba

IIRC, she's listed in other works... In fact, she must be, because I got Macross Graffiti about ten years ago or so, but I knew about Miku in the '80s. She was probably mentioned in Macross Guide Book (which I no longer have).

Was she mentioned in any media made after the story of the disappearance of the Megaroad-01?

What happened to the Monsters that were badly animated in SDFM Ep32? The back guns have a wide separation in the middle, and they almost look like each pair of guns (left & right) are stacked vertically.

Was it another outsourced episode?

Yes, it was. Completely done by good ol' Star Pro. Pay the wonky designs no mind.

Unless you're Toynami, and want to make a "YF-1R," because everyone LOVES toys based on animation mistakes!

What's a YF-1R?

A Robotech VF-1 loosely based on an animation error of a 1A with 3 lasers on the head.

And I'd like it if it were true to the error instead of having an ugly hexagonal head replacing the less-ugly 1A head the error used.

What's a YF-1R?

A Robotech VF-1 loosely based on an animation error of a 1A with 3 lasers on the head.

More specifically, this.

post-12411-0-44421400-1452234620_thumb.jpg

It was on screen for maybe 1 second, and HG went and built up a whole backstory for it.

Edited by Jefuemon

I've profiled plenty of blink-and-you'll-miss-them mecha for my website, which is fun regardless of how silly it may be. While I'm loathe to endorse anything Robotech, I admit I rather enjoyed that fan-made version of the three-cannon VF-1, just as a fun variant. It's not representative of the actual animation, but it looks kinda interesting for a minor piece of fan art and I kinda liked the rust-red color they used for it. Can't seem to find the image right now, but I was thinking of building a variant of it in high resolution just for fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

Would love a higher resolution. I don't think any of the non Delta fleet names were given. Neither were any of the inhabited planets (Eden, Vajra planet, etc) aside from Earth.

I don't think we're meant to delve too far into it...what a shame cause I like world building. :(

Would love a higher resolution. I don't think any of the non Delta fleet names were given. Neither were any of the inhabited planets (Eden, Vajra planet, etc) aside from Earth.

I don't think we're meant to delve too far into it...what a shame cause I like world building. :(

Eden was on the Frontier version of the Galaxy Map though :-)

So, we finally gave a star map of "Macross", albeit in a small resolution. Can anyone identify the fleets and colonies, and do the listed star systems?

attachicon.gifАстроГрафия.jpg

still looks like it's a satellite galaxy to the Milky Way.

Interesting that they set it in what amounts to the opposite side of the galaxy from Earth.

Interesting that they set it in what amounts to the opposite side of the galaxy from Earth.

Didn't Kawamori say he deliberately set Delta away from the Galactic Core?

As for the map, we've learned (from Frontier) not too read much into them. Just know that Ragna and Windermere are set far away from where we've previously been in the Macross-universe.

Didn't Kawamori say he deliberately set Delta away from the Galactic Core?

As for the map, we've learned (from Frontier) not too read much into them. Just know that Ragna and Windermere are set far away from where we've previously been in the Macross-universe.

Outer Rim in the Forbes interview.

still looks like it's a satellite galaxy to the Milky Way.

If the numbers on the chart art distances, the most likely candidate is Sagittarius dwarf elliptical galaxy.

I asked this somewhere else a few years ago, but I've since forgotten. We use "VF" and "valkyrie" interchangeably. Is it the same in the Macross world, or do they use "Valkyrie" to refer to strictly the VF-1, and "VF" to refer to the broader group? Phoenix, Excalibur, Messiah, etc. aren't nearly as ubiquitous.

Also unrelated: Is it YF-19 Excalibur, or YF-19 Alpha One, or just YF-19? (And YF-21 Sturmvogel (II?), or YF-21 Omega One, or YF-21?)