They should throw this guy in jail for getting in the way too.

attachicon.gifthisguy.jpg

attachicon.gifintheway.jpg

The nerve of that guy.

Didn't they, though? I know Isamu has a proud history of "antics", I'd be very surprised if he HASN'T wound up in the brig a time or two.

Also, there was that time he kinda-sorta stole a prototype next-gen fighter craft and attacked UNS HQ with it, culminating in the death of a fellow test pilot and maybe-murder of a beloved pop idol.

Edited by JB0

Well if you want to speculate outside of what was in the anime then maybe, but in Plus it seems like Isamu's punishment is getting transferred to a base where the commander will look the other way for a lot of things. And in Frontier, he gets to still fly his favorite kawaiikouchan.

Everything seems to be coming up Milhouse for Isamu.

Well if you want to speculate outside of what was in the anime then maybe, but in Plus it seems like Isamu's punishment is getting transferred to a base where the commander will look the other way for a lot of things. And in Frontier, he gets to still fly his favorite kawaiikouchan.

Everything seems to be coming up Milhouse for Isamu.

He's apparently had several some minor disciplinary actions, but nothing HUGE as of Plus's time.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26483&page=1 although the canonicity of that list is subject to debate.

He's apparently had several some minor disciplinary actions, but nothing HUGE as of Plus's time.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26483&page=1 although the canonicity of that list is subject to debate.

Minor? The UN Forces stripped him of his medals, put him under house arrest a few times, and his last bout of reckless flying got him kicked out of an active duty unit and sent to be a test pilot on a program that had already been the death of two pilots and hospitalized two more with severe injuries.

(After first threatening him with virtual exile to coal mine security or planetary fragment disposal duty!)

So "Newbie and Short Questions Thread" means "Spoilers and Plot minutiae" now?

Hey new guys, you should watch these cartoons so you can argue over them pointlessly like we do!!!

Renato, you're probably right, but it's kinda hard not to... I can't make any promises, but I'll try to keep the deep philosophical and psychological analysis and exposition to a minimum.

Gubaba, I knew Ray had managed to get the valk for Basara, does it actually say where he got it? (It's been a minute or two since I watched the show, so I can't really remember, I know they got sponsoring later from Max, but at the beginning is it there?)

Gubaba, I knew Ray had managed to get the valk for Basara, does it actually say where he got it? (It's been a minute or two since I watched the show, so I can't really remember, I know they got sponsoring later from Max, but at the beginning is it there?)

The "Fire Valkyrie" was built as part of a secret UN Forces development program "Project M". Ray still had deep connections to the UN Forces even after he left the military, so he was entrusted to pass the plane along to its intended test pilot, Basara.

Minor? The UN Forces stripped him of his medals, put him under house arrest a few times, and his last bout of reckless flying got him kicked out of an active duty unit and sent to be a test pilot on a program that had already been the death of two pilots and hospitalized two more with severe injuries.

(After first threatening him with virtual exile to coal mine security or planetary fragment disposal duty!)

Well, yeah, but... he was always flying again in less than a week. Fir Isamu, that seems minor. :p

What are the names of two (I think) the Zentradi ships that the Macross cannon destroys in episode 1" Boobytrap"? The same footage of their destruction is also in the OP.

Also, is Nyan Nyan hyphenated in AniMeigo subs of SDFM, they aren't hyphenated in ADV subtitles.

Edited by Primus1X

What are the names of two (I think) the Zentradi ships that the Macross cannon destroys in episode 1" Boobytrap"? The same footage of their destruction is also in the OP.

They look to both be Salan scouts.

post-12411-0-95087300-1430705705_thumb.gif

post-12411-0-22880200-1430705715_thumb.jpg

I have a question about the Tomahawk's main guns in the arms.

I'm mostly familiar with the depiction In DRYL, they were depicted as single fire heavy guns.

I've been watching a dubbed SDFM for the first time, and the Tomahawk arm guns seem to be burst firing guns, or at least, with a very rapid firing rate. See the Mars episode, right after the order to fall back, for one example. It seems to fire 4 bursts of three shots in rapid succession.

Is there a reason for the difference? If the depiction in DYRL is accurate is there a possibility of a second generation of Tomahawk with heavy arm guns instead of the burst guns?

Those are Zentradi picket ships... they don't have an actual "name" like the Nupetiet Vergnitzs or Queadol Magdomilla.

Also, is Nyan Nyan hyphenated in AniMeigo subs of SDFM, they aren't hyphenated in ADV subtitles.

I believe it is... AFAIK, a correct romanization of "Nyan-Nyan" ought to be hyphenated.

Is there a reason for the difference? If the depiction in DYRL is accurate is there a possibility of a second generation of Tomahawk with heavy arm guns instead of the burst guns?

I don't think anything is said about how the Tomahawk's guns are meant to fire... which is probably the genesis of the problem.

Both the Tomahawk in the series and in DYRL are supposed to be the same model and mark (Mark VI) so I would assume that's simply the greater attention to detail in DYRL at work. (My take would be that the DYRL presentation is the "correct" one.)

Those are Zentradi picket ships... they don't have an actual "name" like the Nupetiet Vergnitzs or Queadol Magdomilla.

I believe it is... AFAIK, a correct romanization of "Nyan-Nyan" ought to be hyphenated.

I don't think anything is said about how the Tomahawk's guns are meant to fire... which is probably the genesis of the problem.

Both the Tomahawk in the series and in DYRL are supposed to be the same model and mark (Mark VI) so I would assume that's simply the greater attention to detail in DYRL at work. (My take would be that the DYRL presentation is the "correct" one.)

They look to both be Salan scouts.

attachicon.gifscout.gif

attachicon.gifb0b99be7dcddaa4ca7555a7d9299484b.jpg

Hard to tell since their shapes are distorted as they are blown up, I thought it was one of the broader ships at first (as in the ones that do not taper to a point) . Narrowed it down to these two since both Salan Scouts and Picket ships have the round grey piece with the 4 pairs of vents.

Could anyone please remind me in which SDFM episode a Valk's main gun lights a cigarette for a Zentran?

EDIT: found in Ep 32

Edited by Saruta

I'd probably go for the argument that the Tomahawk has two fire modes, personally. It's a fairly straightforward way to have them both be right.

Actually, you see the Tomahawk firing both ways in DYRL. The first one we see is shown firing the two single shots from each arm. There's a second Tomahawk shown a few minutes later, firing the arm guns in rapid succession.

Can somebody explain the reasons behind this reunion? I initially thought the first image was photoshopped, but after the second one I am not so sure anymore... The images are supposedly from Sri Lanka (Clarke's home) during 1984. Was Arthur C. Clarke a Macross fan? :blink:

post-7862-0-27206200-1431940005_thumb.jpg

post-7862-0-47841800-1431940466.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/picket.htm

As I recall, Mari said that they were abroad to promote Macross/anime(?) and they were in Sri Lanka so she had the opportunity to meet Mr. Clarke.

Thanks man. Was it the TV series... the 1984 film adaptation or both? So she knew about Mr. Clarke and his work? That's awesome... :)

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

• 2 weeks later...

VF-15 Banshee, I don't know where you heard that, but that is completely wrong. They were not "abroad to promote Macross".

I spoke to Mari directly about this years ago and she personally told me that they were in Sri Lanka filming the promo video for Mari's song "1 Gram no Shiawase" and for her video compilation "Marron". Many of the photographs shot there also appeared in the accompanying photo book of the same name, and as artwork for her compilation album "Variee".

I don't recall if Mari said that she herself was a fan of Clarke, or a staff member was, but she definitely knew of him, and so they all popped over to his house and he happened to be at home, so the took some pictures together.

As a side note, it irks me when misinformation spreads so easily, and in this age of information and social media, the whole process is accelerated, so "I heard" becomes fact, and before you know it, I have to spend literally decades correcting people, like with the whole "AnimeFriend/StarPro" thing.

post-1318-0-32245200-1433214785.jpg

post-1318-0-51552500-1433214857_thumb.jpg

Thank for the info Renato. Interesting. I love the casualness of "so they all popped over to his house and he happened to be at home, so the took some pictures together." It's Arthur C. Clarke we're talking about!

Thank for the info Renato. Interesting. I love the casualness of "so they all popped over to his house and he happened to be at home, so the took some pictures together." It's Arthur C. Clarke we're talking about!

Science fiction novelists aren't exactly on the same level of unapproachability as, say, rock stars...

When does the 29 move from YF test status to VF operational status? I noticed all the 29's were still YF in the games. Also is the YF-29 Percival an upgrade to the YF-29 Durandal? Or is the Percival just a variation of the Durandal?

Well, brace for a merge into the Newbie and Short Questions thread...

When does the 29 move from YF test status to VF operational status?

Dunno! The most honest answer is "When (or if) Kawamori decides that the YF-29 should show up as a production aircraft in a future Macross title".

As of 2060, it's still a YF.

I noticed all the 29's were still YF in the games. Also is the YF-29 Percival an upgrade to the YF-29 Durandal? Or is the Percival just a variation of the Durandal?

The YF-29B Percival is described as "a state-of-the-art aircraft which improves upon the YF-29 Durandal" in Macross Chronicle. It's said to be issued to Havamal ace pilots, which means it's probably technically in limited (but entirely off-the-books) production... so may fall under the same situation as the VF-27 technically did in Macross Frontier. (In which the Macross Galaxy fleet never disclosed the VF-27 plans to the New UN Gov't, so it's classified YF-27 by them.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba