As far as Hikaru's survival goes... holding your breath the way he did is a stupendously bad idea if you plan to live through having jumped out into a vacuum (burst lungs are a real deal-breaker), but his flightsuit and helmet probably did a bit to protect him from vacuum exposure. You wouldn't exactly walk away from the experience unhurt, but it could be survivable.

That was apparently the working theory, that the flightsuit and helmet were supposed to be airtight once he wrapped a scarf around his neck(?). That's why the tear from the tuna teeth removes any chance of him holding his breath to go look for help like they'd planned initially, he's apparently not dumb enough to leap into a hard vacuum without protection.

I'm just going to assume what I thought was a scarf is actually some form of adhesive tape, because the whole stunt makes a degree of sense that way. Enough sense for me to believe a teenager came up with a plan like that.

I wanted to add in that Ranshe Mei's research into the Vajira "language" seems to have inspired Ranka's name:

"Ranka" is actually a word in the true version of the Aimo song.

Makes sense, that was the research she was working on while preg, and what she sang to her all the time as a toddler.

By1BdhiCUAAJuXT.jpg

(Guessing from the song translation I would say Ranka means "hope"?? Just a guess tho.)

Neat.

This picture makes me sad...

Oh, neat! While there is a cynical part of me that wants to question anyone's ability to accurately subtitle Yoko Kanno nonsense-language, I am going to ignore it and say that is super cool. Thank you for sharing!

You can hear it pretty clearly in the song itself, since it's sung very slowly at this point.

I always assumed the tuna came from there. Why wasn't it stuck in the ice? Uh... it jumped.

Yeah I assume there would be quite a bit of violent thrashing knocking water away in the last few moments of the tuna's confused and strange end.

I don't know if it was already answered but, is there any particular difference between VF and YF designs? Because there are VFs on inverted wings, and YF on regulars.

Yes. It has been answered.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34315&view=findpost&p=1026394

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34315&view=findpost&p=1026335

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34315&view=findpost&p=1026333

Why do they look different? Because when you go from prototype to mass production, things change.

Plus, what happens if we combine a Valkyrie with a Formula 1 car?

You get something that looks like Basquash!.

Yeah I assume there would be quite a bit of violent thrashing knocking water away in the last few moments of the tuna's confused and strange end.

I like to think there is a spiritual connection between that tuna and the whale in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

(Cue "Friends ~ Jikuu wo Koete")

I would assume the tuna was not iced in because a lot of water sublimated and dissipated before it had a chance to freeze.

In fact, what did freeze would subsequently undergo the same process.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and the water the Macross brought with it would attempt to fill that void, though it may just be pissing in the ocean.

• 2 weeks later...

Also regarding episode 5, do we know what variant are the black/dark blue Valkyries that appear when Misa tells all Valkyrie squadrons to scramble? Because they only appear in fighter mode.

Not until Macross the First...

No, in Macross the First, HER name is "Gina Baltrow."

I see.

Was it "Emil Lang" by any chance?

*Runs and ducks for cover*

Well, I'm rewatching the original Macross in parallel with Robotech, they gave Chief/Dr. Lang a German accent. I have no idea why he shares the same name as a Nazi German ace, he isn't even a pilot. Edited by Primus1X

What is the general theory on when a new Macross Series will air?

Is there any hints on what a new show would be about?

What are the chances of us getting macross home video releases such as frontier?

What is the general theory on when a new Macross Series will air?

Don't know. Could be Summer 2015, Autumn 2015, Winter 2016, Spring 2016, Summer 2016, Autumn 2016, or Winter 2017. Depends on production. Depends on the networks' scheduling for shows.

Is there any hints on what a new show would be about?

Nope. But it will have a singer and VFs.

What are the chances of us getting macross home video releases such as frontier?

Likely the same as shows airing right now.

Keep an eye on the announcement thread for more details. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41796

If you mean domestic releases, then nil thanks to Harmony Gold.

So long as HG holds the trademark on the name "Macross" and they maintain their close association with Tatsunoko Studio, Big West will never work with them to have a Western release of the shows. However, Big West CAN subtitle their productions and make them available for Western import directly from Japan! Thanks to Yamato's court case against HG, the latter cannot block consumer imported Macross goods from Japan. B))

Edited by Zinjo

I am not sure if we've answered this question, but how many emigration fleets had been sent out as of Mac F? Minus the short range ones that were often in the belly of Macross class warships...

I am aware of the 30 Megaroad missions, but were there only 25 New Macross Class missions?

Edited by Zinjo

Why is Gundam more popular than Macross in Japan ???

Well I watched SDF Macross as Robotech during my childhood and I fell in love, I have re-watched it several times now as an adult and I still love it, the way I did when watched for the first time....I tried to watch the first Gundam series trying to find out the reason japanese people like it and honestly.. I did not like it !!! I consider Macross is far superior then, what happened? What is the reason Japanese audience considers Gundam as better than Macross and the rest of the world doesn´t? ...Any Idea?

Well I watched SDF Macross as Robotech during my childhood and I fell in love, I have re-watched it several times now as an adult and I still love it, the way I did when watched for the first time....I tried to watch the first Gundam series trying to find out the reason japanese people like it and honestly.. I did not like it !!! I consider Macross is far superior then, what happened? What is the reason Japanese audience considers Gundam as better than Macross and the rest of the world doesn´t? ...Any Idea?

This isn't an answer, more like I'm in complete agreement with you. I've always said Robotech is the ugly girlfriend you thought you loved until she introduced you to your hot wife and dumped her. Adding to the analogy, Gundam your ugly ex-girlfriend's new man that you just can't understand why she'd go out with and you can't understand why you care.

Short answer: it's more Japanese than Macross (in the sense of Samurai drama).

Long answer: why is Star Trek popular? Why not Space Above And Beyond or any number of other SF serials that ran for one or two seasons on TV? Who can really answer these kinds of questions? Gundam touched a nerve and a group of people locked onto it. Macross didn't have the same kind of effect.

In an episode of Macross 7 Encore, two apparently conflicting versions of the stories of Basara, Ray and Viffidas are given.

Are they intended to be reconciled somehow, or is the idea that "we'll never know"? And, if the latter, might it be Kawamori explaining his now-well-known view of "canon"?

Edited by Saruta

In an episode of Macross 7 Encore, two apparently conflicting versions of the stories of Basara, Ray and Viffidas are given.

Are they intended to be reconciled somehow, or is the idea that "we'll never know"? And, if the latter, might it be Kawamori explaining his now-well-known view of "canon"?

That episode literally had "actors" playing the parts of the characters in the TV special. Notice Basara, Ray, and Veffidas look different that they normally did in flashbacks. It's more of a nod to real life celebrity news programs where they have a recreation of "This is what we THINK happened!"

The original Gundam was made in the late 70s before Macross, Nausicaa etc. it is highly regarded for its plot and changed robots in anime from super-heroes to weapons of war. Along with Space Battleship Yamato, it inspired directors like Shoji Kawamori and Hideaki Anno. What did Macross innovate? For the mecha genre, it did have protagonists using mass-produced mecha instead of the superprototype which Amuro used and for anime in general it was certainly animated better than other shows at the time but for plot it wasn't as revolutionary as Tomino's Gundam and Matsumoto's Yamato were.

The original Star Trek had bad special effects but it inspired generations to grow up to become engineers and scientists.

The original Star Trek had bad special effects but it inspired generations to grow up to become engineers and scientists.

ST-TOS was an adventure series in space, that used the genre to tackle sensitive social issues of the day. Things like racism, race equality, war, etc... Much like Gundam and Macross, it introduced innovative ideas to a genre and medium that were not seen before. Hence they created watershed moments in pop culture for their time.

I believe one of the reasons why Gundam is so much more popular than Macross is that of market proliferation. There have been many more Gundam productions released in comparison to Macross and as such is much better known to the market. One can argue the merits of the Gundam productions in comparison, but there are more Gundam series, OVA's and movies and therefore the property is easier to recognize.

Edited by Zinjo

Do we know what variant are the black/dark blue Valkyries that appear when Misa tells all Valkyrie squadrons to scramble? Because they only appear in fighter mode.

Same as the others... it's just a different paint job.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/variant-vf-1a-darkbird.htm

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I don't know for certain, but because the VF-1A was so much more numerous than the other variants, it makes more sense to choose the "A" type than any others. At least officially. Fan customs of the same are fair game :)
Also, in the next update to my website I'll be updating the titles of those "mystery" valkyries to more "official" names. The Dark Bird seems to be designated the "Cavaliers" and the UN Headquarters variant is supposedly called "Alaska Base".

I don't know for certain, but because the VF-1A was so much more numerous than the other variants, it makes more sense to choose the "A" type than any others. At least officially. Fan customs of the same are fair game :)

The Yamao toy is a VF-1A, and it's shown as a VF-1A in the first VF-1 Master File book, so that seems good enough for me... :)

The Yamao toy is a VF-1A, and it's shown as a VF-1A in the first VF-1 Master File book, so that seems good enough for me... :)

That is true, but I was just providing my rationale since it was my website that was being referenced. I built and posted those variants online based upon SDFM footage at a time when the Yamato toy of the VF-1A Cavalier or VF-1A Alaska Base didn't even exist and weren't even named (indeed, I had to create names for them). But I'm glad there are official names now.

I think there were discussions about Minmay and Yoshio before and the best conclusion was there is no indication of any relation. Yoshio is described as a "neighbourhood urchin", so he's likely just an ever-present mischievous child that everyone in town knows all too well :)

Edited by Mr March

I think there were discussions about Minmay and Yoshio before and the best conclusion was there is no indication of any relation. Yoshio is described as a "neighbourhood urchin", so he's likely just an ever-present mischievous child that everyone in town knows all too well :)

*nods* Though he does, IIRC, become the one to take over Nyan Nyan and turn it into an interstellar restaurant franchise...

(The show-which-shall-not-be-named does identify them as relatives in its version of events.)