Yeah, I've never seen any official artwork for this design. Likely, it was some creative, industrious background artist who figured; "Why not make this scene a little more interesting by drawing something we've not seen before?". This isn't the only never-seen Zentradi craft to get a one-scene spotlight. There was the unique cylinder-shaped Zentradi ship in DYRL that fired some type of energy ball/blast at the SDF-1 Macross that blasted a hole in the hull through which the Nousjadeul-Ger Powered Armored Suits were able to traverse to rampage through the ship's city sections.

Edited by Mr March

Yeah, I've never seen any official artwork for this design. Likely, it was some creative, industrious background artist who figured; "Why not make this scene a little more interesting by drawing something we've not seen before?". This isn't the only never-seen Zentradi craft to get a one-scene spotlight. There was the unique cylinder-shaped Zentradi ship in DYRL that fired some type of energy ball/blast at the SDF-1 Macross that blasted a hole in the hull through which the Nousjadeul-Ger Powered Armored Suits were able to traverse to rampage through the ship's city sections.

Well, actually that ship appears throughout the entire the film ...

post-12283-0-25696900-1380261276_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-45557000-1380261280_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-66855300-1380261284_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-06475400-1380261292_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-35275500-1380261295_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-35399400-1380261299_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-35685000-1380261765_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-87935100-1380261771_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-65418200-1380261778_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-37525000-1380261809_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-43733800-1380261868_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-14019100-1380261877_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reïvaj

Well, actually that ship appears throughout the entire the film ...

attachicon.gif00.09.13.jpg

Oh wow, all this time I didn't realize the ship in the third picture you posted was the Golg Gants Charts. The funny angle at which it was drawn made it look like a completely different craft, something I had never seen before. For some reason that weird side/partial front angle made the ship look completely different to my eye. Well, I guess there is no mystery craft in DYRL then. My mind is blown! :)

EDIT My mind is blown even more...for the first time I realized that the Golg Gants Charts bears a striking resemblance to the God Warriors from Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind. The two big round eyes, the toothy maw, the big blast of energy the comes forth...wow!

Edited by Mr March

I've always loved this, is like the ultimate get out jail free card for Max, he can do and get away with anything...because he's a genius, like Batman, because he's the Goddamn Batman! :lol::lol:

BTW, how long to Zentradi live?

Nobody really knows.

During the wars, the life of the average Zentradi grunt was said to be very short: about three years. Unfortunately, I can't find a citation for that, but it likely meant that they were getting killed so often that they died quicker, not that their lifespan was literally three years.

It's a common fan theory that Zentradi are potentially immortal or at least very long-lived because of their genetic engineering, and would be so if no pesky wars got in the way. Nothing official states that explicitly, though a lot of people seem to base it on Milia in Macross 7, who still looks young and once said that she had never gotten sick (though the latter was used to set up a gag).

For a few of the original Zentradi characters, they're given an age in years that seems to roughly align with how old they seem relative to human anime characters: Milia is 15, Britai is 34, Kamjin is 23, but it's not clear if these are equivalent to human years or not. I tend to assume they are, but referring to how long since they emerged as adults, not including how long they were cooking in a cloning chamber.

And of course, the Bodolza living engine in DYRL said that he was "120,000 cycles" old, but that probably doesn't count.

http://www.animeigo.com/liner/out-print/macross-tv-series

Does anyone know what kind of missile this is in the YF-19s legs. It has a square cross section and it appears to be a 2 stage weapon

pr_arcadia_macros12.jpg

That's the CHM-2 high-speed missile. Isamu fires a pair of them at Guld during the opening stages of their dogfight over Earth. AFAIK, the only place they've been identified is in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 Excalibur, on page 70.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

And of course, the Bodolza living engine in DYRL said that he was "120,000 cycles" old, but that probably doesn't count.

http://www.animeigo.com/liner/out-print/macross-tv-series

From what Macross Chronicle's old edition had to say, a Zentradi "cycle" was pretty close to an Earth year... so the ages in the series version of stuff is probably close to Earth years too.

Who is Richard Pillard in Macross Frontier?

I believe the official spelling of his surname is Birla or something to that effect... but he's the owner/founder of S.M.S. and its parent company, Birla Transport Co., an interstellar shipping company. He's one of the sponsors of the Macross Frontier fleet and a supporter of President Glass.

That's the CHM-2 high-speed missile. Isamu fires a pair of them at Guld during the opening stages of their dogfight over Earth. AFAIK, the only place they've been identified is in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 Excalibur, on page 70.

Thank you!

Thanks Seto.

And who was Grace and Brera taking orders from?

As VF-15 Banshee said, it's never really elaborated on in the Macross Frontier television series. Grace's superiors (or co-conspirators) were never explored in any depth, though she seemed to be largely running the proverbial show since it was she who developed the implant network theories on which her plan hinges. The alternate version of events in the Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime and Sayonara no Tsubasa movies identifies the chief string-pullers in the conspiracy as the Macross Galaxy fleet's executive staff.*

* Macross Galaxy is described as being administrated like a corporation, rather than a government.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Which episode is Hikaru's 1J supered?

Er... Hikaru's VF-1J is deployed with the Armored Pack in Episode 9, but the first appearance of the Super Pack isn't until Episode 24, long after he had "inherited" Roy's VF-1S.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i posted a comment on "About the Macross Chronicles: thread. i was reading sketchley's translations of Kakizaki's death under the section of DRYL for Macross chronicles revised section D front.

http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/MCRepisode/DYRL01ABsdfm-DYRL.php

"The scene where Kakizaki's craft is shot down is depicted in extreme detail. Immediately before being shot down, the light of the missile that Miria's craft fired can be seen for an instant."

i always saw it and thought a blueish beam shot off that killed kakizaki from miria, looking at the scene and the radar HUD on Hikaru's panel. can anyone clarify this is actually a missile?

edite: chucking up the scene for reference:

the audio is a bit cleaned up or different for the remaster above: here a clip of dvd bootleg

going by the audio only, the sounds are identical when miria shoot a barrage of missiles and when kakizaki is shot down... so it could be a missile based on the audio track?

however, later in the dogfight when max and miria trade beam shots and miss each other, miria's beams has the sound of the missile barrage and the audio of her beams fired in the zentran ship(slightly in the background) mixed together...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i posted a comment on "About the Macross Chronicles: thread. i was reading sketchly's translations of Kakizaki's death under the section of DRYL for Macross chronicles revised section D front.

http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/MCRepisode/DYRL01ABsdfm-DYRL.php

i always saw it and thought a blueish beam shot off that killed kakizaki from miria, looking at the scene and the radar HUD on Hikaru's panel. can anyone clarify this is actually a missile?

Er... not wishing to be rude or unnecessarily blunt, the Macross Chronicle coverage is pretty much the only official line on such a minor detail. You're not likely to find an official source that says something else. Just going on the sound effects being used, I believe it probably was a missile that killed Kakizaki. The sound effect is exactly the same one used mere seconds later for Milia launching more missiles... and it's worth noting the missile trails are the exact same color (according to Photoshop, anyway) as the streak we see across Kakizaki's comm display when he dies. If it'd been a shot from the Queadluun-Rau's rotary lasers, we might have expected to see one or both arms pointed as if to fire... but they're just held down at the suit's sides when we see her.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Guest davidwhangchoi

Er... not wishing to be rude or unnecessarily blunt, the Macross Chronicle coverage is pretty much the only official line on such a minor detail. You're not likely to find an official source that says something else.

thanks Seto Kaiba, that's why i posted this in the noob section and i didn't further the post in the Macross Chronicle thread. (btw, i wouldn't think your post could be taken as rude until you mentioned it :) )

of course a noob like me would never see the flash of blue light going though kaki as a missile... and NO, i am not questioning validity of the chronicles nor the translations work... (which, I wouldn't even have a question of curiosity, if i didn't have english access by sketchley's great translation work. please don't feel offended.)

i simply asked someone to clarify what i am seeing, because i don't see missiles ever going that fast in DRYL where Hikaru and Max do not see it coming... unless it was a Ghost x-9 stealth missile.

yeah, i noted the identical sound but that is unreliable as the sounds are not consistent for the missiles in the same fight. but the photoshop point is interesting... so the flash color the same green like the trails of the missile in Photoshop? that;s something i can't see... i guess the color correction is wrong. i noticed kaki is sorta green paint on his valk like on the yamatos in the hd remaster but in the dvd the color is tint is much more towards blue on kaki's valk.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

(...9 would never see the flash of blue light going though kaki as a missile... (...)

TBH, I always thought the same thing (he was shot. With a gun), and the line in MC took me by surprise.

Though, in retrospect, the way that beam weapons are portrayed in Macross, is generally an elongated line from the gun toward the target. And that's something we don't see in that shot. As we don't see a missile contrail in the shot, its possible that it came in from below, where the VF-1's radar is less effective (thus, no on-screen warning of the eminent attack).

Nevertheless, it ultimately doesn't matter how Kakizaki was shot down. The point of that scene is Kakizaki getting killed after teasing Hikaru about his love life. ;)

Edited by sketchley

Guest davidwhangchoi

TBH, I always thought the same thing (he was shot. With a gun), and the line in MC took me by surprise.

Though, in retrospect, the way that beam weapons are portrayed in Macross, is generally an elongated line from the gun toward the target. And that's something we don't see in that shot. As we don't see a missile contrail in the shot, its possible that it came in from below, where the VF-1's radar is less effective (thus, no on-screen warning of the eminent attack).

Nevertheless, it ultimately doesn't matter how Kakizaki was shot down. The point of that scene is Kakizaki getting killed after teasing Hikaru. ;)

Coming from below may explain why the squad couldn't detect it till the last second... The missile flash seems to be coming upwards from the lower part of his body... suggesting the entry point was from below. Wow... never thought of that:)

Thanks sketchley again for sharing your work on MW... i'm digging through your translation site almost everyday now during my breaks at work.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

They had to sucker punch him just like they did in the TV show.

Poor Hayao!

Just like its ridiculous that Max beats Miriya then (after the zentran and meltran warring for thousands of years)

And a 1 minute dog fight, Just struts into the hanger and repaints a Q-R in blue.