From the link:

(Yep, I have already read this before hand.... and in fact it one of the reasons I wrote the above)

I'm not disagreeing with that.

Yes, Minmay did leave on the Megaroad-01.

Kawamori said he deliberately put in two Minmays in the Megaroad-01 launch scenes.

He later stated that (The) Minmay left on Megaroad-01.

Yep.

This isn't conflicting with the clone hypothesis.

It's a UN Spacy conspiracy!!! *puts on tinfoil hat and gets Nora on the phone*

And the person directly responsible for freeing an entire race and stopping a war and changing society with her art would not be considered exceptional? I don't think they would undervalue people with artistic skill and only clone more combat soldiers when genetic survival of the human race was the major concern.

Yeah, IIRC, Minmay's DNA was sampled as well. But the impression I got is that everyone's DNA was mixed together in different combinations, not just making straight-up copies of people.

(I also don't think the clones were force-grown, but I can't find any evidence one way or another right now... :mellow: )

(I also don't think the clones were force-grown, but I can't find any evidence one way or another right now... :mellow: )

Yeah I haven't put much thought into how Zentran clones "emerge" until recently. Almost no info on this or the possibility of DNA splices instead of straight up human clones.

But judging by the reaction to just seeing Komilia makes me think a quick forced aging (and maybe a basic skills memory implant) was done for new clones still in the tube.... or they are just built up from raw DNA into an adult body.

I can't imagine a Zentran infant clone being cared for in a fleet setting. Effing nightmare that would be. Britai going "Catch!" comes to mind, never mind the diapers.

If it was "created" as an infant then it would have to be cared for by a VERY complex robot that would have been more complex and delicate than any of the very rare irreplaceable and unrepairable combat units. (Glaug/Q Rau)

Minmay's DNA was sampled as well. But the impression I got is that everyone's DNA was mixed together in different combinations, not just making straight-up copies of people.

Very well could be!

Might be a more complex operation and maybe require new equipment instead of just feeding Zentran clone vats sampled full human DNA.... But maybe the Zentran clone machines already recombines stored strains?

They would definitely recombine DNA if there was genetic risk of inbreeding...

But if you immediately shipped the clone or the original off to a colony/immigration ship, there wouldn't be any genetic risk of inbreeding. They just would never meet each other. Solves the social problems too.

Still, even a recombined DNA clone could come out remarkably looking like Minmay if she had part of her genetics.

Well, thanks for entertaining my conjectures!

Might be a more complex operation and maybe require new equipment instead of just feeding Zentran clone vats sampled full human DNA.... But maybe the Zentran clone machines already recombines stored strains?

Cloning is the one part of Macross that hasn't been clarified very much.

MC has added such nuggets as Factory Satellites dedicated exclusively to cloning, and that pretty much the entire crew and the majority of the survivors on the SDF-1 were cloned, not once, but multiple times (all the SDFN class ships had to be crewed by someone experienced, right?)

Combining those two and we're left with the impression that Zentraadi clone technology (which mankind employed as is after the war), results in fully formed adult bodies with some to all of the sample's memories left intact (kinda like the My-clone/Microne micronization system).

Another thing that is clear is that human cloning stopped because of the increase in what basically amounts to genetic disorders - which implies that not all of the clones were kept separated, and something relatively close to inbreeding started to occur.

What would be a good starting point for a newbie to start watching Macross the First series or in chronological order with Macross Zero?

That is up to you. I'd probably go the production timeline-route as it would be better watching the progress of the animation style as opposed to the series chronology. So start with SDFM first.

And once you start we can help you on where you want to go next. There's a thread for that (I finally get to say that).

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=38543

That is up to you. I'd probably go the production timeline-route as it would be better watching the progress of the animation style as opposed to the series chronology. So start with SDFM first.

And once you start we can help you on where you want to go next. There's a thread for that (I finally get to say that).

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=38543

Agreed. Zero wouldn't mean quite as much if you watch that first.

Azrael has the best option for if you want to watch everything.

We have another similar thread active with new fan viewing opinions and order (lots of differing opinions!) going on you may want to check out for further input on this:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=38683

Don't forget to share what you enjoy and impressions with all us old timers. It's great to hear about new fans enjoying things for the first time.

I just typed the below up quick like. If anyone has a better version of a simple timeline, share it.

Timeline, shows in bold text:

1999 Macross crashes to earth

2008 Some alien tech is incorporated into human tech, small scale fusion reaction engines not yet in Valks

Macross Zero

2009 Macross finishes refit, launches

Macross SDF TV

Macross DYRL movie

Macross Flashback 2012 special (basically a music video. Hikaru, Minmay, and Misa leave on the Megaroad-01 colony ship, and "go off into the sunset")

2040 Human planetary colonization is widespread from use of short term emigration ships. (decent, but wouldn't want to live for years on one)

Macross Plus

2045 Full fledged Colony fleets now common, and become much more livable on a near permanent basis

Macross 7

2059 Colony fleets are wonderful to live in on a permanent basis. Some young adults have lived their entire lives inside colonies.

Macross Frontier (refers to Zero, SDF, DYRL, barely refers to Plus, does not really refer to Macross 7)

Macross Frontier Movies 1 & 2 (overlaps with TV series, but watch the TV first)

Macross 2 - not canon, creators basically say it didn't happen. Watch it if you run out of stuff to watch.

---

Frontier somewhat refers to Zero, so do try to watch Zero before Frontier. Not a huge deal tho.

Frontier is also a perfectly viable way to start watching Macross, as it is a high quality full stand alone series with stuff for everyone and all tastes to enjoy.

Not a good start option for true Macross fans of course (You would watch everything, duh), but might be viable for modern picky anime fans that can't deal with older animation. Once they fall in love with the Macross universe, they can go back and watch older stuff.

Edited by Kaldar5

Timeline, shows in bold text:

1999 Macross crashes to earth

2008 alien tech is incorporated into human tech, small scale thermonuclear reaction engines not yet in Valks

Macross Zero

2009 Macross finishes refit, launches

Macross SDF TV

Macross DYRL movie

Macross Flashback 2012 a music video collection that also depicts Hikaru, Minmay, and Misa leaving on the Megaroad-01 emigration ship, and "go off into the sunset".

2010's Human planetary colonization is widespread from use of short and super long range emigration ships. (decent, but wouldn't want to live on one of the short range ones for years on one)

2030's Super Long Range Emigration fleets now common are much more livable on a near permanent basis

2040's Super Long Range Emigrant fleets are wonderful to live in on a permanent basis.

Macross Plus

Macross 7

2050's: Some young adults have lived their entire lives on colonies.

Macross Frontier (refers to Zero, SDF, DYRL, 7 and barely refers to Plus)

Macross Frontier Movies 1 & 2 (overlaps with TV series, but watch the TV first)

Macross 2 - not canon, creators basically say it didn't happen. Watch it if you run out of stuff to watch.

Fixed!

While the colony in 7 is decent, I just wanted to portray the fact that the Mac 7 colonists regularly left the main ship for other entertainment (At external entertainment ships) and that it did have slum areas.
Not saying that City 7 was a hell hole, but averaged out Frontier seems nicer with less complaints from the average citizen (Miria, are you behind those stacks of papers?) And a larger more self sustaining design.

While the colony in 7 is decent, I just wanted to portray the fact that the Mac 7 colonists regularly left the main ship for other entertainment (At external entertainment ships) and that it did have slum areas.

Not saying that City 7 was a hell hole, but averaged out Frontier seems nicer with less complaints from the average citizen (Miria, are you behind those stacks of papers?) And a larger more self sustaining design.

First, it's Emigrant Ship (as in Super Long Range Emigration Ship).

Second: there's a core ship (the core of an average city, if you will), and then a series of support vessels with semi-specialized functions*, ranging from food, manufacturing, and entertainment production, to (scientific) research and (military) training.

Frontier, on the other hand, is essentially the same arrangement, except that the main city ship is a couple of orders in magnitude larger and combines a lot of the aforementioned specialized functions, and it is supported by a fleet of interconnected environment ships, which, in addition to rounding out the food production, also provide the "back country" that a city needs to sustain itself (in the sense of the water and air cycle).

These two types are just two examples of Emigration ships. Macross Galaxy is another example, which has even more slums than Macross 7 can claim, is a lot more urbanized, and the environment is sustained chemically (not sure what that means for food production, or even if there is such a thing in that Emigration Fleet. Yuck!).

* I say it this way, because they all have residential functions in addition to whatever their specialty is.

First, it's Emigrant Ship (as in Super Long Range Emigration Ship).

Second: there's a core ship (the core of an average city, if you will), and then a series of support vessels with semi-specialized functions*, ranging from food, manufacturing, and entertainment production, to (scientific) research and (military) training.

Frontier, on the other hand, is essentially the same arrangement, except that the main city ship is a couple of orders in magnitude larger and combines a lot of the aforementioned specialized functions, and it is supported by a fleet of interconnected environment ships, which, in addition to rounding out the food production, also provide the "back country" that a city needs to sustain itself (in the sense of the water and air cycle).

These two types are just two examples of Emigration ships. Macross Galaxy is another example, which has even more slums than Macross 7 can claim, is a lot more urbanized, and the environment is sustained chemically (not sure what that means for food production, or even if there is such a thing in that Emigration Fleet. Yuck!).

* I say it this way, because they all have residential functions in addition to whatever their specialty is.

IIRC, isn't it mentioned that Macross Galaxy converted its food production entirely to artificial foodstuffs in the interests of efficiency? The way it was described, it sounded like the Chemical Plant-type Macross Galaxy still had some of the support ships that weren't present in the Macross Frontier fleet...

About the old VF-1 Boosters; were their motors chemical, hybrid or OTEC thermonuclear turbine?

Do you mean the 3 back rocket motors, or the large rockets in the dorsal FAST packs?

In both cases, they're chemical rockets. In the latter, the VFMF series indicates that they use a hydrogen/oxygen slush for fuel.

Why exactly did Roy Fokker join the UN Forces?

Roy Fokker? We have nobody in the database going by the name of "Roy Fokker".

Roy Focker? Dunno. Probably sometime around 2002 or around the start of the war.

Yeah, IIRC, Minmay's DNA was sampled as well. But the impression I got is that everyone's DNA was mixed together in different combinations, not just making straight-up copies of people.

So are you saying that the Minmay left looking at the Megaroad leaving was a clone Minmay?

..All this time I thought it was Minmay looking at 'herself',like leaving her old life behind to start a new.

So are you saying that the Minmay left looking at the Megaroad leaving was a clone Minmay?

..All this time I thought it was Minmay looking at 'herself',like leaving her old life behind to start a new.

There are 2 ways of looking at those scenes:

- young Minmei looking at old Minmei departing and vice versa (I have suspicions that this is the way those scenes were intended to play).

- cloned Minmei looking at real Minmei (what the scenes become when combined with print sources about the post war years - which Minmei is in which role is unclear).

*I* am not saying that. I look at the scene as you do. A metaphor.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is Macross 2012 if its a remake of the original with new graphics I will be a happy panda.

2. How can I find the original Southern Cross, and Genisis climber.

3. Which DYRL should I get there are a lot of DVD's of this and other macross how do I know I am getting the right ones.

4. Macross 7 do not care it was the worst of the bunch next.

5. Macross Plus I saw it going blue ray but will it come to the states that way.

6. Macross frontier where can I find a sub version of it.

7. are there any other Macross that I am not aware of that I need to get?

1. What is Macross 2012 if its a remake of the original with new graphics I will be a happy panda.

If you mean Flashback 2012, look around. Otherwise there's nothing called "Macross 2012".

2. How can I find the original Southern Cross, and Genisis climber.

YouTube? Hulu? Amazon? Netflix? Google is your friend.

3. Which DYRL should I get there are a lot of DVD's of this and other macross how do I know I am getting the right ones.

Import it from Japan. AmiAmi? CD Japan? If you want it on Blu-ray, there are threads for those. Use the search. Search is your friend.

5. Macross Plus I saw it going blue ray but will it come to the states that way.

Don't know. Buy the Japanese Blu-ray.

6. Macross frontier where can I find a sub version of it.

Use Search. Search is your friend.

7. are there any other Macross that I am not aware of that I need to get?

Use Search. Search is your friend. And searching Amazon, Netflix, Youtube would probably help you.

They (Netflix, Hulu) and the like only have robotech macross is no where to be found including amazon instant video.

That is why I'm trying to find the originals and I have had no luck.

It really isn't that difficult to find stuff online.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5D4F15FB2A8C73B6

Do try to purchase some of what you want to watch and support the people who write, produce, license and market this stuff though.