SDF = Super Dimensional (ie, Hyperspace/Foldspace) Fortress

I recently recommended this order for someone that was only familiar with "Robotech", and wanted to get current with Frontier as a priority:

Macross DYRL movie (I prefer the [b-G_&_BakaWolf] sub, but many are good)

Macross Zero 1-5 ([Central Anime] sub)

Macross Frontier 1-25 ([Central Anime] sub)

Macross Frontier Movie - Itsuwari no Utahime ([Central Anime])

Macross Frontier Movie - Sayonara no Tsubasa ([Central Anime])

Macross Frontier references Macross Zero a noticeable amount, so I think it's a near must watch before Frontier.

Central Anime seems to do the best job with technical terms and accurate translations, although it's sometimes stilted. Beats totally inaccurate.

And a note to everyone else. If somebody comes around saying the usual "Is that Rick/Lisa?".... HELP THEM. Give them ways to watch the shows, let them know what to start with. Do not make fun of them. Many do not even know of the wonderful more recent series, and are super thankful when someone points them in the right direction.

Make converts, not enemies.

Edited by Kaldar5

Make converts, not enemies.

Well said Sir, well said :-)

I'll second the opinion that watching Zero before Frontier is a good idea. Also, when you do get up to Frontier, probably watch the series before the movie this time. I's also recommend rewatching DYRL after finishing SDFM - you'll find that you probably have a new appreciation of it.

And if you are catching up on the original series.... This inclues some people that think they have seen it all....

Look up the mini book script of the episodes they never filmed. Worth the short read, and gives you new insight into Minmay, and motivations behind some of the relationship dynamics.

SDF Macross My Fair Minmay [Galaxy Network]v2.pdf

Seriously, no one mentioned Plus? The most "concentrated awesome" bit of the whole saga?

Anyways---after you watch DYRL, watch Plus. Preferably the OVA and movie versions, but if you can only watch one, watch the movie version. (way better ending). THEN watch Zero and Frontier.

Seriously, no one mentioned Plus? The most "concentrated awesome" bit of the whole saga?

Anyways---after you watch DYRL, watch Plus. Preferably the OVA and movie versions, but if you can only watch one, watch the movie version. (way better ending). THEN watch Zero and Frontier.

No matter what anyone reccomends, somebody will be offended :)

That's why I had the qualifier of "...and wanted to get current with Frontier as a priority:"

Yes, Plus is good stuff also.

We all know that the only proper thing to do is watch all media forms of Macross that are true to the creator's intent.

Which version of DYRL is sort of "universally" regarded as having the most accurate english subtitles? The only version I have at the moment is some "Perfect Edition" I bought from Amazon and it appears to be a bootleg of some other version (I'd be the first to admit not knowing the various incarnations of DYRL throughout the years).

Edited by esdeeyephwon

Edit:

I honestly don't know of any commercial releases with decent subs. Sent a private message. Glad you bought a copy, even if it turned out to be "grey market".

Thanks! I ended up buying DYRL LE and while waiting for it arrive was going to research subs so I can add them myself once it gets here.

I recommend the Galaxy Network version, myself.

I recommend almost everything of Galaxy Networks! They absolutely rock... but not their DYRL. The video wavers on their capture for that one.

But yeah if you are just ripping the subs, Galaxy Network. Just please do give credit if you are going to make it available to other people.

Personally I go with "[b-G_&_BakaWolf]_Macross_-_Do_You_Remember_Love.DVD(XviD_MP3)_[F629285F].avi" for DYRL when I want to have friends watch it with subs; subs are good, the white lettering on light brown works great against the overall slightly dark background tones of DYRL, tasteful and conservative use of alternate fonts for singing and Zentran, they put Zentran subs at the very top of the screen so they don't conflict with or sit above the original Japanese subs at the bottom, and the video is rock steady.

Edited by Kaldar5

I was wondering if Battle 13 is supposed to be a Macross class ship built using Meltrandi technology, much like Macross 5 is said to have been built using Zentradi technology? It's light purple and blue color scheme looks like a combination of the light purple color schemes of the Meltrandi ships from DYRL and the blue color scheme of non-command Meltrandi ships of Chlore's fleet from Macross 7.

Is it possible for that to be the case?

...Is it possible for that to be the case?

Maybe. Maybe not. Macross 13 was a testbed for the Sound Jamming System and implementing updates to the New Macross design, which is why it looks the way it does. And since it wasn't attached to a Island or City unit, it was beefed up for combat. Not because it was using Meltran tech. That's not to say it doesn't use Zentran/Meltran tech. But by this point in time, the amount of Zentradi/Meltrandi tech in UN/NUN tech is probably moot. The color scheme is usually arbitrary except to add to the "cool"-ness factor. It's more of a production thing of late as they have been using purple for "villian"-roles.

Maybe. Maybe not. Macross 13 was a testbed for the Sound Jamming System and implementing updates to the New Macross design, which is why it looks the way it does. And since it wasn't attached to a Island or City unit, it was beefed up for combat. Not because it was using Meltran tech. That's not to say it doesn't use Zentran/Meltran tech. But by this point in time, the amount of Zentradi/Meltrandi tech in UN/NUN tech is probably moot. The color scheme is usually arbitrary except to add to the "cool"-ness factor. It's more of a production thing of late as they have been using purple for "villian"-roles.

Wasn't there multiple Macross 13 fleets out there?

I thought I heard it was a catch all name for spec ops fleets within the Spacy organization. How they were distinguished among themselves wasn't specified...

**COTB question***!!

I have read some reviews where people bash Clash of the Bionoids a bit too too much I would say.

I just saw video on youtube including the most funny parts of the dub, I must admit I laughed at most of them, but overall it seems the dub pretty much transmitted the overall idea of the script; by the way, Exsedol's dub seems quite close to the original; a bit robotized I know but the tone of the voice is pretty close. Besides I think dubbing Roy must be very difficult to get right, so I dont think they get it much worse than the so called "good" dubs.

Apart from the bits included in this video, is it really the dub that bad?

**COTB question***!!

Apart from the bits included in this video, is it really the dub that bad?

.... Not sure if trolling ....

Yes.

Next question.

Come on:

"Exclude all the horrendously bad parts, is it still bad?"

Yes, because it ruins the seriousness of the movie, and you can't "exclude" them.

"Exsedol's dub seems quite close to the original"

He talks like a friggin robot in the first place. So the bad line delivery is spot on? Way to lower the goalpost. If this is the highlight of the reasons why the dub is "not so bad"....

And why would they dub over Zentran?

"Overall idea of the plot"

How about we just watch something that actually IS the plot as the creators intended without so called "artistic license"

And WTF is a bionoid?

Clash of the Bionoids was a dubbed AND edited version of DYLR. There is a non edited version of the dub, and yes its bad. When Roy dies in front of Hikaru, Hikaru yells, "Minmay!" which makes no sense. The sloppy script writer got the word "Senpai" mixed up with Minmay's name. The dub is junk.

For COTB, I'd say that the SCRIPT is often accurate (not always, but often). However, the acting is uniformly terrible.

And even in the places where the script is accurate, the writer(s) make(s) some stunningly bad decisions about how to render certain phrases in English ("The women must not penetrate" being the first example that springs to mind).

That said, the subtitled version from Kiseki wasn't much better... "My engine blocks are angry at me!"

That said, the subtitled version from Kiseki wasn't much better... "My engine blocks are angry at me!"

Ah yes, Kiseki.

So here's a question. Kiseki released DYRL in two versions, the subtitled version you mentioned and the dub, with the package entitled "Clash of the Bionoids", but it was actually "Super Spacefortress Macross", uncut in its entirety. I remember the latter not having any Japanese subtitles during the Zentradi language scenes, since everything was dubbed into English. If so, it is the only "clean" version of those movie scenes that exist. I own the VHS but it is in the UK, and even if I take it out of storage I don't know anyone with a machine that can play it.

Can anyone confirm that those scenes have *no* Japanese subtitles?

Going on Youtube, I noticed that the scene in the dub with "A MAN AND A WOMAN" does not have subtitles. The top and bottom are not cropped, only the left and right sides. If you compare it with any other version, for example this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJjrWhYv3g

... then you can see that the subtitles should still have been visible if they were using the same masters. So what I want to know now -- and this goes beyond the scope of a newbie thread -- is where is this film without the subtitles burned onto them? IMO it may have been better to have used that one to restore and remaster for the Blu-ray, since you may have gotten a clearer image, and used digital subtitles. Hmm. Toho?

Woah, that fan dub isn't half bad. Where can I get/DL that?

I *think* that's Hikuro's own self-produced dub. He's a member here, if you message him he'll reply.

Actually, after digging up his thread on it, I noticed you had already posted in it... Oh well.

I *think* that's Hikuro's own self-produced dub. He's a member here, if you message him he'll reply.

Actually, after digging up his thread on it, I noticed you had already posted in it... Oh well.

Yes I found it after I made this post. Amazing work. I wish he would put in on a DVD and sell it.

Quick question for a chat we're having over in a mecha Facebook group. Assuming a miracle occurred and this Robotech movie got of the ground and they made veritechs that had a three-mode transformation but were based off the F-35 or something, would that be close enough to the intellectual property rights for Big West and Studio Nue to start getting upset (if they chose to?)

Yeah, but HG would get on his back, and make it more trouble than it's worth.

He could just stitch the PSX intro and the crash from the TV show, then just put create a torrent. Kinda sad to do all that work, then not have anyone be able to enjoy it.

Quick question for a chat we're having over in a mecha Facebook group. Assuming a miracle occurred and this Robotech movie got of the ground and they made veritechs that had a three-mode transformation but were based off the F-35 or something, would that be close enough to the intellectual property rights for Big West and Studio Nue to start getting upset (if they chose to?)

That's doubtful. Harmony Gold already has full legal access to the concept of a three-mode plane: the Legioss/Alpha. If Warner Bros. licensed the F-35 from Lockheed Martin, there would be nothing to stop them from applying the Legiss/Alpha three-mode transformation onto an F-35.

Hi there, one question for all of you, was there ever a 4 disc box set for the Super Dimension Fortress Macross?. There's a seller on e-bay selling one, I'm thinking is fake, I asked the seller and he says he's got a supplier on asia but I don't think I've ever seen this boxset before, what do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-DIMENSION-FORTRESS-MACROSS-Complete-4-DVD-BOX-SET-/220781932158?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item3367a0ee7e