Best Introductory Cowboy Bebop episode?

Salty Pete

Hmmm....

Episode 20 - Pierrot Le Fou <--- This one is scary!

:ph34r:

I guess it depends on the kind of person you're showing it to.

Personally.......if they like:

COMEDY = Mushroom Samba

ACTION = Pierrot la Fou

SUSPENSE = Toys In The Attic

DRAMA = Ballad of Fallen Angels (Part I) or Jupiter Jazz (Part I)

ADVENTURE = Wild Horses

I'm also going with Ballad (pt 1). It pretty much explains the basic concept of the series in one episode and the ending/beginning leaves you hanging wanting more. The awesome music also helps...Spike going through the stained glass has got to be the most memorable part of the series for me.

Then the movie would be the next thing I show, then Mushroom samba... If she's not interested by then, she prolly won't care much for the whole series.

Actually the Movie didn't do much for me... I actually hated the opening sequence. What the heck was all that about? All the imagery seemed to be from NY in present time, complete with the Flatiron building :-P The parts in the ethnic street seemed to have pulled the slowest bits of Blade Runner and stretched it even longer. The bit of Faye-service was tantalising though :-)

Otherwise, the series is still the best way I'd like to enjoy Cowboy Bebop. I did find the "Ballad of Fallen Angels" a bit too derivative of John Woo's style (Church+Birds+Confrontation), but I absolutely loved the theme of comradeship and betrayal in "Jupiter Jazz 1 & 2".

The movie isn't really too impressive but it's pretty good to introduce anyone into the story because it combines everything from the entire series in one sitting. i.e dogfights, character interaction, fight scenes where Spike still manages to get his ass whooped even with his Bruce Lee style of fighting, some comedy, etc)

I liked the dramatic episodes like Ballad of Fallen Angels but I think those are better after you have seen a few other episodes and become interested in the characters. Pierrot le Fou is my pick. I loved that episode because of the little details and the camera angles used. If not that, it would be good to just start at the beginning.

I didn't care for the movie all that much. It was okay and all but didn't seem to have the same flavor as the tv series.

I have a co-worker who is a big Sci-Fi fan. He read an article on cowboy Bebop and asked me if I knew about it. I told him it was a great series and that I have the DVDs. Well to cut a long story short, he watched the first five episodes and absolutely loved it. I lend him the rest and now he is a Cowboy Bebop fan. Moral of the story: start off from the very beginning.

On an unrelated note: I also let him borrow the first Macross DVD and although he didnt think too much of the animation, he loves the storyline so far. I think I just made a new Macross fan.