Call of Duty: Black Ops

taksraven

Since I haven't played this and all I have heard is media hype annd students screaming about how good it is (never a reliable indicator), I was looking for a more reliable opinion on whether or not this game is worth playing.

Any thoughts?

Taksraven

Since I haven't played this and all I have heard is media hype annd students screaming about how good it is (never a reliable indicator), I was looking for a more reliable opinion on whether or not this game is worth playing.

Any thoughts?

Taksraven

In all senses, it all depends on if you've played previous call of duties before.

For me, I thought that in short, it was a pretty mediocre game. First of all, its the same old call of duty formula that we've seen three times already from call of duty 4. That may or may not be a good thing for you. For me, since I had about around 100+ hours logged in each of the previous games, I really wanted to see some more radical changes to the game. Also, I personally think that the new cod point system for upgrading weapons is pretty weak, as it doesn't really improve the game in my eyes, and simply caters to campers and players who wanted the easy way out as now, instead of getting 150+ kills with a weapon to unlock the attachments, they simply have to earn enough cod points to "buy" the attachment they want. This too may or may not be a good thing for you.

Also, your enjoyment of the game will also come down to what type of game style you use. Those players that stick to sub machine or assault classes will have a lot of fun, but for people who move out of that comfort zone (such as snipers) will have a very hard time keeping up with the other assault or sub machine players. To me, it feels like it kinda locks you in to the really linear classes of gameplay. The one good thing i experienced with b ops was the weapon customization, which was really cool.

Lastly, if you like the story single player modes of cod, than this one will likely blow you away as it matches, if not surpasses the story presented in call of duty 4.

Overall though, imo, it is a very over-hyped game that came off as mediocre to me at best.

-Archer

I'm on the last mission of the campaign, gotta say that I'm glad I didn't read any spoilers :rolleyes: (though I figured out what was going on about 1/2-way through) . I liked the cold war timeline, complete with campy hazmat suit battle and underwater final base. I am also a bit bothered by the weapon anachronism - they pulled it off ok because since most people are ignorant anyways and think that dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time, but seeing relatively modern firearms like the FAMAS, Styer Aug, and MP-5 (with pretty contemporary optics to boot) in the 1960's just felt strange for me.

Overall it's more of the same. If you enjoyed MW 1&2 (and zombies) you'll probably enjoy this one too.

Edited by Ghost Train

i like the game than mw2. its definitely more balanced than the previous COD's.

killtreaks doesnt add onto another

no stopping power

no painkiller

no danger close

no one man army

edit: im only talking about the multiplayer part. as i havent played the campaign yet.

Edited by Vegas

I like it. The single player campaign was more enjoyable than MW2 (which I liked as well). The multiplayer is great, but this is the first time I've ever played online in a Call of Duty game so I have nothing to compare it too. Some of my friends who played the multiplayer in MW2 think that is better, but still greatly enjoy it in Black Ops.

If you are aware that it is done by Treyarch, and not Infinity Ward, you're on the right track to understanding what you're buying. So think of it as an upgrade to COD:WaW and not MW2.

Haha.

Well said.

It's something new and shiny and easier to get into playing (server wise) than MW2 but overall the gameplay in multiplayer is shot to poo as far as balance and skill. Hip fire and sub machine guns seem to be the ONLY way to get kills unless you happen to be camper in hardcore with a pistol.

Graphically, it's dated and ugly. MoH suffered the same thing. Games are supposed to look BETTER as they "improve", not worse.

As others have said, the points system is dumb too. Having to buy items isn't so bad in itself, but having to rebuy every single perk you had for a weapon again all at once after you prestige is just stupid and costly. I liked being rewarded for being skilled with a weapon, not just having enough money to buy it to make it worthwhile.

The maps are also all WAY too small. I like close quarters maps, but not ALL of them.

Lastly, the spawning system in multiplayer has to be the single worst system in any game I've ever played. I don't know how many times I have literally spawned in front of someone in knife distance. There's no "danger" sensor. You just pop up where the system decides you should, hostile forces standing there or not. They reintroduced spawn camping in a big way. They're all set and it's not based on where your team or teammates were like in MW2.

I'm SUPER glad I tried this first and didn't cave when this launched. MW2 had its issues, but given time, proper funding and dedicated servers from the start, it could have been a strong game for another year while a GREAT sequel was produced.

Edited by Chewie

I don't play multiplayer, so I will wait for it to go down in price before I bite. That being said, this should be their last game with the current engine and game mechanics (at least in SP). Enemies that just keep spawning until you reach a pre-determined spot on the map? Come on, guys. That has been happening since the original game. The invisible boxes that restrict you to the world are also last-gen crap that need to be taken out.

Lastly, the spawning system in multiplayer has to be the single worst system in any game I've ever played. I don't know how many times I have literally spawned in front of someone in knife distance. There's no "danger" sensor. You just pop up where the system decides you should, hostile forces standing there or not. They reintroduced spawn camping in a big way. They're all set and it's not based on where your team or teammates were like in MW2.

This is my single greatest complaint about the multiplayer part of the game. Its annoying as hell especially on the smaller maps like Nuketown.

The campaign is set during the Cold War, which is always fun to relive, in all its anti-Communist glory. Flying the Hind was a life long dream come true for me as well.

There wasn't that "wow" level like Wolverines! in MW2...but still I'd have to say the story and twist are great.

Its a different developer so in the end you can compare apples to oranges and get a pear...lets see what Infinity Ward is planning for the next installment.

Oh yeah, add me if ya want to team up one night Jason!

so is anyone actually playing zombie mode? how is it?

I've put off picking up black ops as the multiplayer looked underwhelming, but the campaign looks fun and if zombie mode is enough fun on it's own I might go for it eventually.

greatest gripes about this game:

"host migrations" (worse than mw2)

"connection interruptions" (this has to be most annoying problem of the game as it happens too frequently)

your party gets separated, almost impossible to play with your party intact

match making sucks

the game freezes

i play on the ps3 not sure if these issues are also present on the xbox 360

^ The Connection interruptions do happen sometimes on the 360, but are pretty rare. At least from my experience.

I enjoyed the campaign and while I normally don't do a lot of online play with other games, this one has been addictive. Especially the Domination Game. Where you have to capture and try to hold three locations on the map.

greatest gripes about this game:

"host migrations" (worse than mw2)

"connection interruptions" (this has to be most annoying problem of the game as it happens too frequently)

your party gets separated, almost impossible to play with your party intact

match making sucks

the game freezes

i play on the ps3 not sure if these issues are also present on the xbox 360

Totally agree. I like multiplayer when it's working as it should, but these issues drag down the experience. I was on last night and had to stop because the connection interruptions were so frequent.

I also have to agree about assault rifles and sub machine guns being the only real way to rack up points. The game definitely favors the use of these two classes over the others.

That's been true for almost every game ever made, other then Counter Strike and Day of Defeat. I even remember trying to be a sniper in the original Delta Force game and getting no hits unless someone was AFK...

I use sniper rifles in CoD4 and MW2 all the time and do quite well.

I think Treyarch just hates snipers. WoW had terrible sniping too. I think that's why I like MW1&2 better.

Treyarch listened to all the complaints people had about MW2 when making Black Ops, and after removing the offending aspects from their game, there was nothing left.

Want to make an explosives class? Too bad, explosives were nerfed, don't get replaced by scavenger, and there is no perk to increase their power.

Want to make a knifing class? Too bad, there is no tactical knife or commando.

Want to snipe? Too bad, there is no quick-scoping or other way to use a sniper close range, no quick way to aim because sleight-of-hand doesn't apply to snipers, and the guns suck.

Want to just run around with pistols or shotguns? Those guns suck too and there is no dual-weilding of shotguns and no auto-pistols.

Treyarch told everyone playing MW2 that they were playing wrong and made a game where only assault rifles or submachine guns are worth using.

I use sniper rifles in CoD4 and MW2 all the time and do quite well.

I think Treyarch just hates snipers. WoW had terrible sniping too. I think that's why I like MW1&2 better.

^^This

I love sniping, and was an avid user of the m40a3 in COD4 and m200 intervention in COD: MW2, and the fact that ALL of the snipers in

black ops are synonymous to water guns just annoys me. For example, when you actually scope in, there is this little jerky maneuver that

occurs so that you'll automatically be off target and you'll have to line up the shot again. And by the time that occurs, the opponent with

an assault rifle will have sprayed you down already. All in all, this makes sniping really hard. And as if to only substantiate their hate of snipers,

treyarch makes it so that Sleight of Hand pro brings up the ADS for every weapon (EXCEPT snipers) quicker. That just adds salt to the wound.

Oh well....

I loved it , easily my favorite CoD yet. I hated MW2 for its terrible rushed and plot hole filled story and this game has a great story and great characters. Before this game WaW was my favorite CoD, this game improves on it in every way. My favorite change in kill streaks was not just not counting kill streak deaths, but putting the way overpowered dogs from WaW at the very end of the line. I cant speak on spawning problems in multiplayer since i hate TDM in games and never play since i find it boring but i play all the other goal oriented multiplayer games and never have issues.

The maps go from tiny to large and all have great flavor and feel to them reminiscent of cold war nostalgia. Another thing few people seem to mention about the game is that the maps feel more "alive" then previous CoD's with the rocket taking off in Launch, maps with moving trains in the background and a detonated nuke.( Also if you blow off all the heads of the mannequins in Nuketown, Sympathy for the Devil starts playing on the loudspeakers). My favorite part of Multi is the wager matches which offer really tense fun modes of play. On top of all that you have 2 zombie maps, a 2d arcade game, and tons of customization options and theater mode. Bottom line if you like CoD , this is the best one made, if you don't, i cant see this turning you around.

Also keep in mind i play on a PC ( where fps is meant to be played) and may be a bit bias when it comes to the game, but if you're a pc player and its your platform of choice they do allow dedicated servers unlike the disaster that was MW2, and mod tools are coming down the line in a month or two.

Patch 1.04 has been released

Issues Addressed:

• Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.

• Additional measures to prevent the “Transmission error” and other disconnects. This was most likely to occur with large parties where party members had mixed NAT types.

• Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.

• Addressed an issue with VOIP icons not appearing when USB headsets were plugged in prior to game launch.

• Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.

• Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.

• Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.

• Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.

• Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.

• Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.

• Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.

• Prevention of Gunship and Chopper Gunner failing to give player full control under rare conditions.

• Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.

• Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.

Gameplay Tuning:

• Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.

• Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.

• Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users – increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.

• Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.

• Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.

• Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.

• Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

can someone pls verify if this patch made an improvement or made it worse?

Edited by Vegas

• Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.

• Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.

I think I might just like this game now.

can someone pls verify if this patch made an improvement or made it worse?

My copy of Black Ops won't even run with the patch installed, I get the "cannot read blu-ray disc" error. The game really struck me as a giant pile of "meh," with maybe the exception of the Zombies mode, which is just hilarious (former Presidents Kennedy and Nixon making Duke Nukem-style taunts).

The general conclusion from the folks I talk to is that MW2 was way better. This one felt just a little too rushed for me, even the single player campaign seems to just force a run-and-gun mentality that doesn't leave any fun for sniping or creative explosive setups.

I'm not into multiplayer, only finished the single player campaign.

I... didn't like it. Too much shouting. At the end, all I could remember was the shouting. It gets grating after a while.

Then again, I played BO after coming off Crysis and the expansion, which were awesome games and makes me wish for more open world gameplay in shooters

i saw a dual wielding shotgun player the other day, used the m16 to end his dreams of racking up kill streaks.

I had to jump on the bandwagon with the 1887s when they were broke. Both times.

MANY a nuke was had running them.

Scavenger, lightweight/stopping power and commando/ninja. Too many times I'd hear the footsteps only to turn and eat buckshot from FIFTY yards away.

Had to get with the G18s because all other secondaries got nerfed into the ground too.

Edited by Chewie

Shotguns never made sense in modern FPS games. Those things are only used for breaching doors, you barely see anyone use them outside of that role.

because shotguns are F*CKING AWESOME

I had to jump on the bandwagon with the 1887s when they were broke. Both times.

MANY a nuke was had running them.

Scavenger, lightweight/stopping power and commando/ninja. Too many times I'd hear the footsteps only to turn and eat buckshot from FIFTY yards away.

Had to get with the G18s because all other secondaries got nerfed into the ground too.

I think EVERYONE who's played MW2 has used dual 1887's at some point. Usually though I stick to the M1014 with assault rifles/LMGs and use the USP pistol (with extended mags) with sniper rifles.

Edited by anime52k8