Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

090720112542.jpg

No such problem with mine. Though not better than Yamato, but certainly much, much improved from the VF25 v.1.

Material feels a bit flimsy, but still acceptable. Gerwalk mode is so stable, the nosecone is just inches from the ground.

The shoulders are floppy on mine so it can't hold it's gun up. The thigh swivels are so loose it can't hold an A stance in gerwalk and the crotch lock doesn't hold in battroid. Not impressed. Buyer beware.

Hmm. That sounds familiar. Well, that's the main reason I'm staying away from Bandai's efforts. The VF100s are fine, but anything on a larger scale just gets floppy real quick.

Too bad because I actually kind of like the design, especially with the FAST packs in fighter mode.

Was really, really looking forward to the YF-29 but was a bit disappointed when I got it. I think my problem was that the I was so impressed with the VF-19 Fire Valk that I had high expectations with the YF-29. Shoulders were already floppy on mine upon the very first transformation. The fit and finish wasn't anywhere near the levels of the fire valk. What keeps me coming back is the aggressive design of the toy and the tricked out gimmicks. If not for that, this thing would have been consigned to the darkest end of my closet.

Lesson learned: Wait for the reviews before purchasing a Bandai valk. I would rather pay premium and miss out on the pre-order price than purchase a valk on its first release and then find out about its flaws.

The shoulders are floppy on mine so it can't hold it's gun up. The thigh swivels are so loose it can't hold an A stance in gerwalk and the crotch lock doesn't hold in battroid. Not impressed. Buyer beware.

Is it possible that you got a lemon? because look at the pose I have mine in:

photoxh.jpg

hmm...Matrix Soul might have a point there...it could be possible that QC is a bit shaky since I have read comments on both extremities in the spectrum.

In one end, we've read complaints on floppy joints, stress mark and so on..

In another, joyfull bliss all the way...

Well, here's more pic of mine, to show how I've enjoyed it so far, and also its stability...thus making me impatient for the upcoming vf25 renewal!

070720112530.jpg

this pic taken while hanging out with friends. Even they are impressed with the Durandal.

010720112486.jpg300620112476-1.jpg300620112464-1.jpg

Some paint chipping on the red paint on both shoulder blocks after 3 transformations, can see the bare diecast now :(

Wish the wings locked into the legs a bit more securely in fighter mode.

Otherwise, apart from the damn shoulder armor, which falls off multiple times every time I transform to fighter mode, I'm reasonably happy with the toy.

Graham

Some paint chipping on the red paint on both shoulder blocks after 3 transformations, can see the bare diecast now :(

Wish the wings locked into the legs a bit more securely in fighter mode.

Otherwise, apart from the damn shoulder armor, which falls off multiple times every time I transform to fighter mode, I'm reasonably happy with the toy.

Graham

I've gotten much much better at transforming the YF-29 now, the shoulder no longer falls off when I transform it.

After reading the comments here, it appears 50% members are fully satisfield with this Vf-29. The other 50%, not all that convinced.

Guess the quality control wasn't consistent?

Edited by Omegablue

Two new shots of the Fast Pack equipped. :)

Nice finding, UN Spacy! Sometimes I like it and sometimes I think it's too busy –hey, even without super pack attached it looks a bit too busy to me. I like it in fighter mode though.

Okay, I'm late to another party... but my review is up:

Thank you very much for your review, jenius!!! It's a great one as usual.

Only one thing though: IMO the only reason for the YF-29 having a higher score than the VF-19Kai could be, as you said, that the Kai’s clowny look made it an easy pass for many collectors and the YF-29 has more modern, and thus broader, appeal to the less diehard collector –that and probably the fact your Kai’s leg is broken ;) . Other than that I think the Yamato’s VF-19 is a slightly superior toy. We’ll have to see the new versions anyway…

Edited by Reïvaj

Thanks, glad you like the review... I spent a lot of time photo-documenting the upgrades from the VF-25 and VF-27. I would give the edge to the YF-29 for the broader appeal but, from a scoring perspective, I gave it the edge because it comes with a stand. I had my VF-19 out while doing this review and I REALLY enjoy that toy... but for like $100 less the YF-29 is hard to beat. I also HATE the VF-19 GERWALK mode (not because of the toy... but because I think the GERWALK design of the VF-19 sucks) and I really enjoyed the YF-29's GERWALK so that's another thing to consider.

Edited by jenius

Thanks, glad you like the review... I spent a lot of time photo-documenting the upgrades from the VF-25 and VF-27. I would give the edge to the YF-29 for the broader appeal but, from a scoring perspective, I gave it the edge because it comes with a stand. I had my VF-19 out while doing this review and I REALLY enjoy that toy... but for like $100 less the YF-29 is hard to beat. I also HATE the VF-19 GERWALK mode (not because of the toy... but because I think the GERWALK design of the VF-19 sucks) and I really enjoyed the YF-29's GERWALK so that's another thing to consider.

You’ve got some good points there. It’s true you contemplate not only the quality of the toy itself but also some subjective considerations for the scoring… That’s were everybody’s opinions may differ a little bit, I guess ^_^

you should totally do video reviews in the style of Deadliest Warrior.

Special weapons, opening missile hatches! While the vf-19 has two, the yf-29 has 6, giving it the edge!

Edited by eugimon

you should totally do video reviews in the style of Deadliest Warrior.

Special weapons, opening missile hatches! While the vf-19 has two, the yf-29 has 6, giving it the edge!

Hey, the VF-19s have a rotating cockpit!!! :lol:

Okay, I'm late to another party... but my review is up:

Great review as usual!!!

I agree with your score in the durability and build department, on my sample the right leg and the left arm are becoming loose (the shoulder and hip balljoint). I guess with a bit of superglue it should be okay.