Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Great vid guys. I don't think I could've transformed this thing properly without it.

Be careful with the paint on the head. The black portion at the back can easily be scratched.

In Battroid mode, the shield comes off rather easily, but it's a minor gripe. Overall a great toy. This is the toy that the 1st version vf-25 shouldv'e been. Bandai should also redo the vf-27 as well.

Edited by Golden Arms

Comparison shot from bleumer1909

yf29_07.jpg

yf29_08.jpg

I don't know why, but Yamato and Bandai valkyries just don't look ok toghether. I want to blame the MF mecha style on the Bandais but I'm not sure. :wacko:

I don't know why, but Yamato and Bandai valkyries just don't look ok toghether. I want to blame the MF mecha style on the Bandais but I'm not sure. :wacko:

I get the same feeling, because when I look at them on my desk, one could pass as quasi-models and the other could not.

Yeah I agree but I think it has more to do with just the basic designs than the company making them. Plus Bandai's Macross Frontier stuff has that glossy "toy" look while Yamato has mostly gone with the flatter realistic approach. Still I love the new YF-29, it's a little fiddly to transform and all the fins and wings means you have to be careful when transforming it but it may be the first Macross toy I own that I will keep in Battroid mode instead of fighter mode. Also no scratches or paint chips on mine, I've read and seen enough reviews that I was aware of the problem areas and also I just popped the head off while transforming it.

Edited by chen

Just noticed a marking that is missing from the DX. It doesn't have the black triangular markings in front of the intakes. They are on the 1/100 model but not sure if there are on the CG. I know the 25 has them and I think the 27 has them as well. Pretty large markings to leave off imo. Still can't wait for mine to arrive.

Chris

Yeah I agree but I think it has more to do with just the basic designs than the company making them. Plus Bandai's Macross Frontier stuff has that glossy "toy" look while Yamato has mostly gone with the flatter realistic approach. Still I love the new YF-29, it's a little fiddly to transform and all the fins and wings means you have to be careful when transforming it but it may be the first Macross toy I own that I will keep in Battroid mode instead of fighter mode. Also no scratches or paint chips on mine, I've read and seen enough reviews that I was aware of the problem areas and also I just popped the head off while transforming it.

I agree. To me Yamato VF-19 kai Mac7 just screams toy as do most of the Mac 7 designs. I think it is probably the blocky proportions and bright colors. The Mac F designs also tend to look more like toys to me due to pin stripping and all the SMS markings. SMS valks tend to be more akin to a race car rather than a military aircraft. Bandai valks are definitely glossy, which adds to the toylike appearance, but I think this works well for the flashy SMS designs - the YF-29 in particular. The Bandai glossiness will start to bother me if a VF-171 comes along since I feel that NUNs birds should be matte like standard military aircraft.

I don't want to incite a flame war or anything guys, but for those that have both, which do you think is better? The yf-29 or the VF-19 kai from Yamato?

Problem is that I can only pick up one atm, so I want to get the one that is better in the general opinion...

In terms of design, I like both, so it comes down to a matter of build and quality really for me, and value for money :D

I don't want to incite a flame war or anything guys, but for those that have both, which do you think is better? The yf-29 or the VF-19 kai from Yamato?

Problem is that I can only pick up one atm, so I want to get the one that is better in the general opinion...

In terms of design, I like both, so it comes down to a matter of build and quality really for me, and value for money :D

In terms of build and quality I'd say the VF-19.

That's really tough. Both are game changers for their respective lines.

The 29 has more paint apps and more gimmicks and it comes with a stand.

Where the Kai wins is in the transformation. Everything tabs together at each step so that no part is flopping around. This is really most noticeable for me when I'm going from battroid to fighter.

I think the 29 is the far more impressive looking toy but the Kai is the better engineered toy, in my opinion.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

not 100% sure about this info but I heard from one of the sellers i get from here locally that only 40% of the planned production for the YF-29 made it out during the initial release. i hope it's true and the other 60% will be available in the market soon. :unsure:

Edited by m0n5t3r

I might have to pick me up a VF-27 and YF-29 when I go to Japan to visit this September. Looking at these pictures is enticing me as I think their fighter modes look sweet, I probably won't transform them except upon receipt to make sure nothing is broken, seeing as its a Bandai...but you guys said besides some tampo they're all good.

I have both in hand, so hopefully my post can be of some help. I agree with a previous boarder: vf19 for build and quality. But it really also goes back to personal taste as well. Some people love the newness of design in the yf-29, while some prefer the solid feel that the vf-19 offers. Although I'm in the latter category, I can't deny the fun factor that the YF-29 has: swiveling wing engines, rotating twin beam cannons, and new beam gun pod that splits open. What the vf-19 lacks in gimmicks, it makes up with superior fit and finish. But both are gorgeous in all modes. Good luck!

Despite only having the YF-29, I would say if you like the VF-19 Kai, then go with that. I have found the YF-29 to be somewhat frustrating. The metal shoulder hinges get loose quickly (the left one on my got loose over two days) and attempts to tighten it with super glue have failed. The arms and legs are loose at certain positions as well. There are numerous points where the paint scratches off just by the act of transforming it, even if careful. Not to mention the paint itself still doesn't seem to adhere very well to the plastic. It's to the point that I've had to modify the toy just to prevent the paint from being scraped off.

From reading over the VF-19 thread, the VF-19 doesn't seem to have any significant issues other than people worrying that the ball jointed ankles might become loose over time.

They both look great, but the 19 seems to be better engineered and suffers from fewer QC issues than the 29.

The design/look of the YF-29 as really grown on me since I've had some time with the Bandai DX in addition to giving me hope for the VF-25 v2.

On the note of the 19 or 29 and which is the better buy, hopefully I'm not the only one that finds it funny or odd that the talk of better QC (at least for these two releases) has trended in favor of one particular direction/company over another.

-b.

Despite only having the YF-29, I would say if you like the VF-19 Kai, then go with that. I have found the YF-29 to be somewhat frustrating. The metal shoulder hinges get loose quickly (the left one on my got loose over two days) and attempts to tighten it with super glue have failed. The arms and legs are loose at certain positions as well. There are numerous points where the paint scratches off just by the act of transforming it, even if careful. Not to mention the paint itself still doesn't seem to adhere very well to the plastic. It's to the point that I've had to modify the toy just to prevent the paint from being scraped off.

From reading over the VF-19 thread, the VF-19 doesn't seem to have any significant issues other than people worrying that the ball jointed ankles might become loose over time.

They both look great, but the 19 seems to be better engineered and suffers from fewer QC issues than the 29.

Try using some clear nail polish on the metal hinges. I applied some around the pin and tried to ease it into the hinge and it worked wonderfully. Just a little will do the trick. :)

On the note of the 19 or 29 and which is the better buy, hopefully I'm not the only one that finds it funny or odd that the talk of better QC (at least for these two releases) has trended in favor of one particular direction/company over another.

-b.

The irony definitely wasn't lost to me when I made my post, but who knows? Yamato's next release could have QC issues too (hopefully not), but Yamato overall has really improved their QC compared to years past. Unfortunately, I think the same QC issues with Bandai's DX line will crop up in the V2 VF-25 as well since they will very likely be using the same glossy plastic that doesn't allow for good paint adhesion and the metal joints will likely still get floppy over time even with no use. My 29 also came covered in grease, which is odd since there are others that have said theirs were clean. To be fair, Bandai seems to be stepping up their game as well with what seems to be more effort being put into their Macross releases now than when those half assed DX VF-25s came out.

So I'm going thru the survey...I like how they ask what're you three favorite things about it.

Please tell us the best of products. (Up to 3) [essential]

1. Well proportioned style

2. Is a good size

3. Good Modeling

4. Good texture paint

5. Wide range of motion

6. Many moving parts

7. A high degree of repeatability of a character

8. Heavy

09. Marking

10. Deformation Mechanism

11. The 遊Biyasu

12. Package

13. Reproduce the stretching of the wing during high-speed cruise

14. Cannon is capable of operating the unit back and turning up in the play as well as bidding

15. Repeatable both monodentate and double seat

16. Fighter tarmac (landing) can be suspended in a state Ganpoddo

17. Decorate stand comes with three forms

18. YF-29 like the Valkyrie Dyurandaru

19. Work "Macross F" like

20. Other

So I'm going thru the survey...I like how they ask what're you three favorite things about it.

Please tell us the best of products. (Up to 3) [essential]

1. Well proportioned style

2. Is a good size

3. Good Modeling

4. Good texture paint

5. Wide range of motion

6. Many moving parts

7. A high degree of repeatability of a character

8. Heavy

09. Marking

10. Deformation Mechanism

11. The 遊Biyasu

12. Package

13. Reproduce the stretching of the wing during high-speed cruise

14. Cannon is capable of operating the unit back and turning up in the play as well as bidding

15. Repeatable both monodentate and double seat

16. Fighter tarmac (landing) can be suspended in a state Ganpoddo

17. Decorate stand comes with three forms

18. YF-29 like the Valkyrie Dyurandaru

19. Work "Macross F" like

20. Other

I have no idea what some of those options mean. In particular #7, 11, 16 (something about the gunpod), 18, and 19.

^^Thanks for all the comments above regarding my dilemma. I, in the end, chose to buy the VF-19 kai over the yf-29. It came down to a matter of that I slightly "prefer" the design of the VF-19 over the YF-29, and that I am quite worried about the looseness over time, paint chipping, grease, etc. issues that seem to be cropping up with this release. The VF-19 release seemed much more solid imho, and that cockpit gimmick was enough to push me over the edge :D

I like a lot how my YF-29 looks, but its left arm is floppy and the crotch very loose.

I still look forward to the VF-25F v2, but I like the Yamato engineering better. I mean the newer ones.

My YF-19 and YF-29 can't share hands because they can't keep their arms up. :o

I like a lot how my YF-29 looks, but its left arm is floppy and the crotch very loose.

I still look forward to the VF-25F v2, but I like the Yamato engineering better. I mean the newer ones.

just let them shake each others crotch then... the YF-29 has a "loose" crotch after all... :p

just let them shake each others crotch then... the YF-29 has a "loose" crotch after all... :p

You know something I've realized? Ever since the 25, 27 and 29 series was spawned, I have never heard so many discussions/jokes/innuendos about a robot's hips and crouch before in my mecha enthusiast life. Then again, who could blame them (us) that thing is practically pointing at you. :lol::ph34r:

some nail polish can help ^_^

And yes, Yamato is still better.