Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Well after getting it on its relese , transformed once and displayed in battroid mode it's whole life with me, took it out to rearrange the cabinet , my YF-29 thigh joints are a floppy mess, it now looks like it's trying to do the splits all the time...:( I hope tgd v2 vf-25 fixes this problem

It's very unlikely anything will change. Have you tried tightening a screw or adding some resistance?

Do I have to just unscrew the back of the thigh pice to get to the ball-joint? if so ill do it later today, and what do you recommed that adds more friction to it?

any one have leads on where to purchase the yf-29 currently? I have looked and since only ebay prices north of $400usd.

I have not yet heard of any re-release (with or without the upcoming super pack), but any news/help is appreciated!

Checked mine last night after it had been in a static pose for a couple of weeks. Left shoulder no longer has any friction. Both hips sagged as soon as I touched the legs. Both still hold a pose as long as none one touches it - for the time being at least. Will try to tighten stuff up when I get time.

Same issue here left hip a little loose same with right shoulder, shield will not stay on in robot form. I think in time it will get worse.It my first bandi Valk and this think is no where near the Yamato valks. The VF-19 looks far superior in terms of build and finish but I hate the color waiting out for the repaints I am considering canceling my alto preorder.

Edited by moose

It is possible that some reviewers may be starting to consider reducing the score they gave to the YF-29 due to these news about spontaneous and unexplainable reduction of the joints :o

What should we expect from the coming DX VF-25 v.2? :(

I haven’t checked mine but I’m sure –I hope, really- there must be a way to tighten the joints…

I'll sound like a broken record but I can't convince myself to like the packs for the YF-29. And I like busy mecha, but in this case it's too much for fighter mode.

Same here. I like most FAST packs and love the ones for the VF-1, VF-11 & VF-17, but I just can't bring myself to like these, or the YF-29 much either. As others have said, it just looks too busy. Perhaps after watch the second Frontier movie I'll like them more.

Graham

I would only consider reducing my score if it proves the joints are hard to snug back up. Usually i've been able to resolve such problems with little effort. If the 29 proves to need more substantial effort that'd be worth knocking it down a notch. Should I also be knocking down the vf19k because od the ankles? Both my 19 and 29 were solid last time I handled them. I should have them back out again when the 29's fast packs come out

I would only consider reducing my score if it proves the joints are hard to snug back up. Usually i've been able to resolve such problems with little effort. If the 29 proves to need more substantial effort that'd be worth knocking it down a notch. Should I also be knocking down the vf19k because od the ankles? Both my 19 and 29 were solid last time I handled them. I should have them back out again when the 29's fast packs come out

but the 19 becomes loose when you stress the joints. The 29 becomes loose just sitting there. My 29 copy's legs swing freely from the hips when I pick it up even though it's just been in an A stance.

If you think that's the same thing as forcing the ankle joint until the socket opens up, then by all means, adjust them accordingly.

edit: Actually, you probably do think it's the same thing since you docked the vf-19 points because *you* broke it. So whatever, have a field day with it.

Edited by eugimon

but the 19 becomes loose when you stress the joints. The 29 becomes loose just sitting there. My 29 copy's legs swing freely from the hips when I pick it up even though it's just been in an A stance.

If you think that's the same thing as forcing the ankle joint until the socket opens up, then by all means, adjust them accordingly.

edit: Actually, you probably do think it's the same thing since you docked the vf-19 points because *you* broke it. So whatever, have a field day with it.

This is just my opinion, but I do consider it the same thing. I think the joints should be engineered to handle the stress - be it from a limb opposing gravity for a long period or from someone unintentionally applying a little extra force to a joint. I'm very careful with my toys, but there is a learning curve when it comes to understanding the range of motion of a newly optioned toy. I could care less what opinions someone puts forth in a review or what score they assign. I just look at the cons that are presented and decide if that would matter to me.

QC issues kept me away from Yamato for a few years. I'm glad I was sitting it out during all the shoulder issues of the 1.60 V2. QC/durability are making me consider limiting my Bandai collection to a single valk. These things are $200 items so I expect some level of fit, finish and long term durability. I don't expect a Tonka truck, but I also don't expect the item to fail under normal use (posing, occasional transformation)

I plan on snugging mine up but it kind of further proves that you just should use so much diecast on transforming toys. A good amount in the right area is fine as what yamato does but since most of bandai's valks have a good amount of diecast it always seems to be the case the joints get weak rather easily or quickly.

Yep, i was the only one who broke their 19, it wasn't something yamato's own employees did with some frequency and not a durability issue they themselves admitted needed to be corrected in the next variant. It was totally wrong of me to draw attention to it and your completely reasonable in your assessment. It's also good to hear that the people complaining about loose ankles have all admitted it was from mishandling. As to the 29, I've handled mine, it has been fine. If mine ever gets sloppy I'll be sure to document it and explain how to resolve it, if it can be easily rectified.

Edited by jenius

Well, on the subject of the VF-19... I'd argue that it's not unreasonable to expect the ankles to move a decent amount. I have a hard time faulting anyone for pushing the ankles farther than they were meant to go, just because people expect new products to meet or exceed the standards set by previous products. People expected those ankles to move more, and they don't. It's like if someone designed a four door car where the front doors barely open a foot or so, and the passenger doors open straight out. Even if it's designed that way, it doesn't mean it's at all useful, or even a good design. <_<

My greatest fear with regards to any Macross product right now is this current obsession with ball joints, or other non-detented pivots. They're useful in some ways, but when they fail, they can fail miserably. Yamato has a pretty good track record with hip and shoulder ball joints (usually all plastic I might add), but Bandai seems obsessed with die-cast, and just can't seem to figure out how to design a ball joint that doesn't become completely limp over time.

Well, on the subject of the VF-19... I'd argue that it's not unreasonable to expect the ankles to move a decent amount. I have a hard time faulting anyone for pushing the ankles farther than they were meant to go, just because people expect new products to meet or exceed the standards set by previous products. People expected those ankles to move more, and they don't. It's like if someone designed a four door car where the front doors barely open a foot or so, and the passenger doors open straight out. Even if it's designed that way, it doesn't mean it's at all useful, or even a good design. <_<

My greatest fear with regards to any Macross product right now is this current obsession with ball joints, or other non-detented pivots. They're useful in some ways, but when they fail, they can fail miserably. Yamato has a pretty good track record with hip and shoulder ball joints (usually all plastic I might add), but Bandai seems obsessed with die-cast, and just can't seem to figure out how to design a ball joint that doesn't become completely limp over time.

you really have to force the ankles past their design point though. You meet quite a bit of resistance and then you can push it into a really aggressive angle but afterwards the socket is shot and the ankle will be loose (pretty much unable to hold up the battroid upright) from that point on.

And yeah, I've seen a lot of pictures of the 19 in gerwalk with the aggressive foot position and then a post soon afterwards complaining of loose ankle joints. I even did this to my own copy. Ankles were factory tight, then I put it in that pose, cuz it looks neat and then the ankles were loose. Then I fixed it. So yes, it's entirely preventable by not breaking the joint.

I can't see how this is anyway comparable to joints that loosen up while not doing anything but holding a static pose. I mean, if you expect joints to be able to move however deeply you want, despite the design limitations, then I expect joints to hold up through more than a handful of transformations.

And Jenius, yeah... sure, you do that. I'm sure you'll give it bonus points for being so easy to fix as well. :rolleyes:

Edited by eugimon

I agree wholeheartedly with Jenius here. When like 4 of your display/ground models are broken by EMPLOYEES of Yamato themselves (who most likely have gotten some amount of training on how to transform it) while transforming it, its not just some "random user error", its actually a design flaw.

More to the point, saying that just because something "broke" while "you" were handling it means that it is entirely your fault, and not the toy's isn't very valid of reasoning. If that was the logic you followed, then by all means, nearly EVERY problem that arises in a toy is your own fault, not the design of the toy. For example, if you had your shoulders break on a Yamato V.2 VF-1, don't ask for replacements, as its your own fault for moving the arms......

I don't want to take a shot at anyone, but I really think Jenius has the best Macross toy website on the interwebs, and taking a shot at him just because he points out a quite prevalent flaw of a toy doesn't really seem justified to me. What do you expect him to do?

Edited by Archer

I can't see how this is anyway comparable to joints that loosen up while not doing anything but holding a static pose. I mean, if you expect joints to be able to move however deeply you want, despite the design limitations, then I expect joints to hold up through more than a handful of transformations.

Eh, I should probably rephrase what I meant. It's not that I expect to be able to move the joints however I want, it's more I've come to expect more from Yamato's ankle joint designs, and it doesn't surprise me at all that people tend to overstress the ankles, thinking they'll be able to move like previous valks' could.

You're right, that issue really isn't comparable to Bandai joints just going limp. My thoughts kind of ran together, because I started picking apart a few issues I have with the VF-19, then deleted it all when I realized this is the DX YF-29 thread. :p Whether the VF-19 ankles can move however I want or not, there's no excuse for Bandai's joints to go so floppy just from sitting still.

Fortunately it's relatively easy to apply fixes to both issues, but fixing the VF-19 ankle joint to make it tighten up again doesn't change the fact that the range of motion still sucks when you're done. In that regard, it's actually worse than the loose Bandai joints, since while the fix for them is more work, you at least had a good range of motion to begin with.

The constant picking on jenius's reviews is getting very very very old (very). Personally I find his site and reviews useful and it is the fist place I go to when I want to decide something or want to se good comparison pics. Damn place is free, has a lot of information, helps new members a lot and is easy to access. All you review critics: Send him a PM telling him your wonderfull "suggestions" and save us the drama, please :rolleyes: .

As for the 29: floppy legs on mine too. They arrived a little floppy so I tightened the screws a little. After reading this today, and touching it again for the first time in weeks, they are loosy goosy.

Mine has been displayed standing up in battroid mode with no stand.

Not happy about it. Pissed really... damn 3rd party Transformers companies are taking better care of me with replacement parts for their fuuck ups in their next releases (TFC & Fansproject). Bandai and Yamato could should learn from that.

Edited by Twoducks