Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Why should they waist their time trying to build quality into something that looks like a prolapsed anus with wings? They should just go for a hat-trick of fail on this one: Spontaneously disintegrating plastic and unfixable missassembly that makes it unable to transform, on a toy who's design was ugly as sin from the get go.

Personally I applaud Bandai for putting so much effort in this early towards making the worst toy of 2011. :p

yeah.. you're right. Bandai should totally just settle for "good enough".

In fact, they should just sell little cardboard cutouts of the yf-29 with the word "awesome" written on it with a big Bandai logo. Because that's all we really need right?

Actually, yes, they should, since it would make it just that much easier not to buy them. ^_^

And by my recollection, they aren't even up to "good enough" quite yet (though I haven't gotten the Monster, so that may make up for the lack of effort on the DX VF-25 and bad paint on the 27).

yeah.. you're right. Bandai should totally just settle for "good enough".

In fact, they should just sell little cardboard cutouts of the yf-29 with the word "awesome" written on it with a big Bandai logo. Because that's all we really need right?

but they we don't get to make fun of how shitty it is. :(

Larger scan of the 3D CAD art of the YF-29 DX from this month's Dengeki Hobby.

Graham

Comparing that CAD art to the VF-25 it looks like except for the wings swept forward and that it looks like the wings recess into the body in one of the modes (probably Battroid) it's pretty much a straight up 25 conversion with canards and the wings swept forward. I'd wager Gerwalk and Battroid look nearly identical to the 25. What this may do is give Bandai an excuse to fix their sub-par original 25 mold so newer iterations can use a better body while keeping the fundamentals the same. Either that or they'll reuse the old molds for this, which I skipped because you couldn't even get a decent A-stance in Gerwalk which is my personal favorite configuration.

It looks good without the engines, but I can't say I think it looks better - just different. Then again I've liked this design from the beginning so clearly something is wrong with my tastes and outlook on life. :p

It looks good without the engines, but I can't say I think it looks better - just different. Then again I've liked this design from the beginning so clearly something is wrong with my tastes and outlook on life. :p

says the poster with a pink Konig monster as their avatar.

Larger scan of the 3D CAD art of the YF-29 DX from this month's Dengeki Hobby.

Graham

I love the new design; really looking forward to the toys. While the outrigger engines would seem ridiculous in a "realistic" aircraft layout, I don't think they're any more ugly than the fast packs we all love. :p

Thanks, MyClone

Can't say it looks worse, but without the engines there, the wings look like they should be clipped off a little.

Meh. I like the design okay, but I would love to hear the reasoning behind making those wing engine intakes face inwards of all things. I mean, in space, sure, it doesn't matter, but the airflow into those things is going to be terrible in atmosphere.

Truth is though, this thing kinda pisses me off. Not because of the design, but because it's proof that Bandai can make a decent looking VF-25, and they chose not to. I'm almost tempted to get one of these just to have a decent looking nose I can slap on my VF-25F.

Anywho though.. unless I'm seeing things, it looks like they already have some sort of fast pack mounted on the legs and around the hip guns. And apparently, they realized that making the legs sloppy to allow room for leg packs was the worst idea in valk design ever, since this one actually has the thigh joint extended to accomodate the packs.

In fact, I'm not sure what to think now.. looking closer, that CAD model is a weird hybrid of some sort.. All the newly designed pieces are bright colors, maybe for materials or mold planning. But then, the legs are already decorated with markings and stripes, and look like straight up VF-25F legs in Alto's markings, and a new and improved version at that (uncovered intakes, nozzles in the feet, plus I don't remember the knee covers rotating as shown when the thigh and knee joints were bent like that).

Honestly.. now I'm kind of excited about this thing. Not because I love the design all that much, but because it looks like Bandai is trying to sneak in a revised VF-25 design in the process.

Edited by Chronocidal

Can't say it looks worse, but without the engines there, the wings look like they should be clipped off a little.

Meh. I like the design okay, but I would love to hear the reasoning behind making those wing engine intakes face inwards of all things. I mean, in space, sure, it doesn't matter, but the airflow into those things is going to be terrible in atmosphere.

Truth is though, this thing kinda pisses me off. Not because of the design, but because it's proof that Bandai can make a decent looking VF-25, and they chose not to. I'm almost tempted to get one of these just to have a decent looking nose I can slap on my VF-25F.

Anywho though.. unless I'm seeing things, it looks like they already have some sort of fast pack mounted on the legs and around the hip guns. And apparently, they realized that making the legs sloppy to allow room for leg packs was the worst idea in valk design ever, since this one actually has the thigh joint extended to accomodate the packs.

In fact, I'm not sure what to think now.. looking closer, that CAD model is a weird hybrid of some sort.. All the newly designed pieces are bright colors, maybe for materials or mold planning. But then, the legs are already decorated with markings and stripes, and look like straight up VF-25F legs in Alto's markings, and a new and improved version at that (uncovered intakes, nozzles in the feet, plus I don't remember the knee covers rotating as shown when the thigh and knee joints were bent like that).

Honestly.. now I'm kind of excited about this thing. Not because I love the design all that much, but because it looks like Bandai is trying to sneak in a revised VF-25 design in the process.

yeah, it should be a good toy. Nearly everything that was wrong with the 25, like the low slung legs, the tail fins that couldn't extend properly, etc, has been covered up or removed. The only concern that I have is that the little nacelle gun boom will cause more stress on that back plate. Hopefully they have sufficiently reworked that area so it won't crack.

Excuse the crapiness of the edit, I did it at work in paint. But I challenge anyone to say it doesn't look better without those stupid wing engines.

better than absolutely awful is still awful.

Edited by anime52k8

It looks like the guns mounted on the back of the legs in fighter mode will swivel up on the shoulders in battroid mode by turning up the blue bar on the back of the fuselage and down the green part between the guns to get the horizontal in battroid mode as well.

post-12283-129434262367_thumb.jpg

I sure hope not as that just screams "move this part here........snap........ahhhh s*&t!" to me.

Just noticed the 3 antenna/lasers on the head. Really want to see batroid pics now.

It looks a little more acceptable without the boosters, but the wings are still just too small.

And thrust nozzles are still blocked from angling upwards by the rear tips of the wing roots. =/ I would LIKE to enjoy this thing, but I can't :(

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the head face to the rear in plane mode? Doesn't that mean that in battroid, the head will have a permanent forward facing antenna in the center? I don't see any sort of pivot for it.

Edited by Cent

It looks a little more acceptable without the boosters, but the wings are still just too small.

And thrust nozzles are still blocked from angling upwards by the rear tips of the wing roots. =/ I would LIKE to enjoy this thing, but I can't :(

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the head face to the rear in plane mode? Doesn't that mean that in battroid, the head will have a permanent forward facing antenna in the center? I don't see any sort of pivot for it.

if it's the same as the 25 and 27, the face of the head faces forward so that antenna thing will look the way it does on the 21, sweeping back.

The heads work different on different -25's. For a VF-25F (Alto) the head faces back in fighter mode. But in the VF-25S (Ozma) the head faces forward. This difference in transformation is often missed/forgotten. (and it lead to the chest-plate-gap-issue in the DX model, as only the 1/72 kit molded new parts for Ozma's, the DX used Alto's parts for both and that doesn't work well)

BUT--look at the colors used for the parts in the CAD. The rear of the head looks like it could be a visor--and it's colored in the same shade as the nose sensors, so maybe that indicates they're both molded from tinted clear parts? Thus, a backwards-facing head in fighter mode. With a visible visor? That'd be a first for Macross I think. (as in, an otherwise well-integrated/hidden head with a visible visor peeking out, as opposed to a VF-1S where the whole head just dangles below the plane)

The heads work different on different -25's. VF-25F (Alto) the head faces back in fighter mode. But in the VF-25S (Ozma) the head faces forward. This difference in transformation is often missed. (and it lead to the chest-plate-gap-issue in the DX model, as only the 1/72 kit molded new parts for Ozma's, the DX used Alto's parts for both and that doesn't work well)

BUT--look at the colors used for the parts in the CAD. The rear of the head looks like it could be a visor--and it's colored in the same shade as the nose sensors, so maybe that indicates they're both molded from clear parts? Thus, a backwards-facing head in fighter mode. With a visible visor? That'd be a first for Macross I think. (as in, an otherwise well-integrated/hidden head with a visible visor peeking out, as opposed to a VF-1S where the whole head just dangles below the plane)

ah, that's right. But I'm going to guess the 29 will have the head facing forward.

::edit:: OK, duh on me, you can see the green visor in the color pics of the 1/100 model... Guess we don't need to speculate on "if" it does have a visible visor nor which way the head faces. Unless of course, it has a false visor on the back of its head to confuse people, like a false canopy or an anti-tiger mask...

::edit:: OK, duh on me, you can see the green visor in the color pics of the 1/100 model... Guess we don't need to speculate on "if" it does have a visible visor nor which way the head faces. Unless of course, it has a false visor on the back of its head to confuse people, like a false canopy or an anti-tiger mask...

I dunno, I think it looks more like a rear facing sensor band like the eye the 21/22 has on the back of the cowl. It's up awfully high on the shallow part of the head dome for the forward sensor.

I thought that too---that it's mounted quite high up. But everything else just screams eye-sensor-visor---color, shape, etc. (yeesh, now you and I are posting back and forth on two different threads!) :D

Well, it looks like the pivot point of the two head lasers would be pushed up awfully close to the front of the face if the head were facing backwards in fighter mode.

I dunno, it looks like Kawamori managed to have some fun with the design, like the nacelles that look like the leg nacelles from the 25/27 design but are actually part of the back. So, I'm going to stick with the head faces forward. ^_^

Well, it looks like the pivot point of the two head lasers would be pushed up awfully close to the front of the face if the head were facing backwards in fighter mode.

why does that sound oddly familiar?

nirvash_spec2.jpg

why does that sound oddly familiar?

it's hard not to be cynical with this design.

It really looks like it was designed to hide the myriad flaws of the DX 25. <_<

Oh well, I like the paint scheme at least, and that big dorsal fin on the head gives it a slight Nirvash feel which I find myself liking.

I don't know... why does it sound familiar? ^_^

It looks like the guns mounted on the back of the legs in fighter mode will swivel up on the shoulders in battroid mode by turning up the blue bar on the back of the fuselage and down the green part between the guns to get the horizontal in battroid mode as well.

I think you are right about that. I didn't notice that bar before.

Graham

Comparing that CAD art to the VF-25 it looks like except for the wings swept forward and that it looks like the wings recess into the body... Either that or they'll reuse the old molds for this,

Mommar's theory has me really worried considering that it is valid assumption with David's observation that the DX VF-25S didn't have the correct back plate.

Notice on the CAD drawings that it looks like the tip of the underside of the shield has a hinged hatch (shown in blue). I wonder could we finally be getting internal knife storage in the shield?

Graham

I think so, I hope so.

Edited by Reïvaj