Bandai 1/100 YF-29 Alto custom

UN Spacy

That's also true, Vifam.

The big thing is Gundam is a cash cow that appeals to a much larger mass of people than Macross, so they can afford to put out more volume of Gunpla, for cheaper, than Macross merchandise, and, while I respect that, I'd rather be charged $40 or $50 for a MG-level kit, than $15-20 for a NG-level kit. (Actually, in honesty, I've bought better-looking NG kits than this)

I mean, I guess I'm not actually part of the target consumer base, but the hassle and cost of shipping that model actually exceeds the price of the model, where I order. So, I'll take my larger quantity of money, buy some Gundam in bulk, and have my (more)cost-effective models. :p

Still, this is Bandai, and I expect better. They usually do it right, but every once in a while, they put out a kit that just fails to impress. This is one such kit.

If you want to see some bad cheapy Gundam kits look at the 1/144 First Grade 00, and 'no grade' 1/144 Seed kits.

Nonsense. It's all about marketing. Bandai quite often does this kind of lower priced "non-grade" level or simple to build kits with Gundam as well.

Prices always tend to be higher for Macross products as toy makers like Bandai do not wholly own the Macross property.

While a company doesn't wholly own the Macross property, they do have limited exclusive rights to a particular series. That limited monopoly limits competition and better products for the consumer but without exclusive franchise rights nothing may be produced since a company may not risk the capital to develop a product without that protection.

Just based on economy of scale, size of production not the size of the model, there is a point were the unit cost is lower because the cost of production can be shared over more items.

And if you want an ugly non-matching scale Bandai model, just look at the old Zaku Tank. That will make any of the current prototypes of the YF-29, "look golden Jerry!"

Is anyone else thinking about rescanning the Sheryl or Ranka decals for use on the VF-25? Sheryl's all blue VF makes it look like she is replacing Klan.

Edited by Fly4victory

While a company doesn't wholly own the Macross property, they do have limited exclusive rights to a particular series. That limited monopoly limits competition and better products for the consumer but without exclusive franchise rights nothing may be produced since a company may not risk the capital to develop a product without that protection.

Just based on economy of scale, size of production not the size of the model, there is a point were the unit cost is lower because the cost of production can be shared over more items.

Agreed. Risk management and economies of scale in the mix. Plus a dash of passing along the licensing fee(s) to the end consumer.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo from Hobbysearch:

7fa155120613128.jpg

I like the overall color scheme, but the decals look a bit too busy for my taste.

If that is an out-of-the-box assembly, with some panel accent and decals, I am impressed.

From pictures it seems there aren't many parts in the box, so I guess a basic build can be finished within minutes. I also think this is the wrong scale, they should have stuck to 1/72 for fighter-mode model kits instead of the gundam 1/100. I wish we had a decent 1/72 fighter-only VF-25 for that matter!.

I know this is one of most hated designs on MW, but I really like it! Really looking forward to this little kit. :)Chris

It's kinda starting to grow on me ;)

yea, same feeling as u guys.

only like the one with the blue sheryl decal though.

hoping for an ozma version too.^^

I think the decals really make it. Not sure which version I like the most. However I'll wait and see if I can get it cheap or at a con or something as I just don't want to pay the full price with shipping for such a small/simple kit. Though I do like the idea of the simplicity of the build where you can focus your effort on the paint/decals.

BTW... do we know if these are stickers or waterslide decals? I've been assuming they were waterslides but now I'm not so sure.

The first link has some sprue shots - the construction seems really simple. Which isn't all that surprising, as the kit is Fighter-mode only.

As to the red/white scheme being noisy, that's how flight test prototypes are usually painted in real life. For example, have a look at Joe Hegedus' model of the 4th F/A-18E.

In any case, I'll be waiting until this thing is available as a transformable 1/72 kit...

SP

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, I've been considering a custom scheme for mine as well but I do dig the actual colors too. Problem is, if you want to build it as a proper model with sanding seams and painting the entire model, the cannon scheme is a bit complex when you really get to look at it. Lots of little edges. One down side to the kit is that it only has stickers and not proper decals.

Chris