Bandai 1/100 YF-29 Alto custom

UN Spacy

Wow, that Ranka version will be difficult to decal. Too bad it is 1/100 and not the same 1/72 as the other idol versions.

Hope that the white stripes are cast in white plastic and people are not forced having to paint white over red plastic.

For the pictures of the YF-25, the white stripes over the orange didn't work too well.

I just noticed that early pics of the unpainted model sculpt show the YF-29 with outward-canted ventral leg fins (see attached pic).

However the newer pics of the painted kit (and also the DX toy CAD pics), do not show these ventral leg fins.

So I wonder if these leg fins were a mistake by the sculptors and were later removed? Or perhaps the YF-29 only uses them in an atmosphere and during space combat they are kept retracted into the leg?

Graham

post-11-129463079101_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The blurb around the gun pod indicates that it's a new gun pod design.

Well, if it's appearance they are talking about, they are kinda stating the obvious :)

However, if they are referring to performance that is interesting.

My best guess so far is that it is a slightly improved version of Brera's beam gunpod.

Graham

Ugly little thing.

Nose sensor being a decal is a lazy cop-out.

Why is the Alto canopy clear plastic and not tinted.

For the Sheryl scheme and Ranka hope and glad they aren't tinted.

But honestly, different color canopies? Are they like an aircraft version of a mood ring?

It's only a 1,260 Yen kit, so you can't expect too much.

Graham

Don't know what the yen rate was of the real grade zaku but asking of a tinted plastic nose sensor isn't too much. Not like I am asking for the engine impeller fans to be molded in gray or silver.

Or better yet a consistent scale ie 1/72 like all the other Macross F models. If Bandai is releasing a fixed mode 1/100 and then variable 1/72... Fine but if the only offerings in the future are 1/100 models and 1/60 DX toys then that sucks because nothing will match with the Hasegawa Macross models.

Edit: It does have a display stand so that is nice but the wings leading edges are molded in red and not white. That will be a real problem to decal or paint.

Edited by Fly4victory

Don't know what the yen rate was of the real grade zaku but asking of a tinted plastic nose sensor isn't too much. Not like I am asking for the engine impeller fans to be molded in gray or silver.

Or better yet a consistent scale ie 1/72 like all the other Macross F models. If Bandai is releasing a fixed mode 1/100 and then variable 1/72... Fine but if the only offerings in the future are 1/100 models and 1/60 DX toys then that sucks because nothing will match with the Hasegawa Macross models.

Edit: It does have a display stand so that is nice but the wings leading edges are molded in red and not white. That will be a real problem to decal or paint.

Yeah, RG Gundam was like 2000 yen, and it's a fantastic piece of engineering that I wouldn't dream of painting, because I'd actually LOSE detail in that. And they packed it into a tinier package. I can reasonably expect high quality from Bandai for relatively low price.

I can reasonably expect high quality from Bandai for relatively low price.

For Gundam, yes. For Macross, not so much :D

Probably due to economies of scale and also perhaps that Bandai has never put as much care and attention into Macross products, compared to Gundam.

Graham

For Gundam, yes. For Macross, not so much :D

Probably due to economies of scale and also perhaps that Bandai has never put as much care and attention into Macross products, compared to Gundam.

Graham

Nonsense. It's all about marketing. Bandai quite often does this kind of lower priced "non-grade" level or simple to build kits with Gundam as well.

Prices always tend to be higher for Macross products as toy makers like Bandai do not wholly own the Macross property.

Edited by Vifam7

That's also true, Vifam.

The big thing is Gundam is a cash cow that appeals to a much larger mass of people than Macross, so they can afford to put out more volume of Gunpla, for cheaper, than Macross merchandise, and, while I respect that, I'd rather be charged $40 or $50 for a MG-level kit, than $15-20 for a NG-level kit. (Actually, in honesty, I've bought better-looking NG kits than this)

I mean, I guess I'm not actually part of the target consumer base, but the hassle and cost of shipping that model actually exceeds the price of the model, where I order. So, I'll take my larger quantity of money, buy some Gundam in bulk, and have my (more)cost-effective models. :p

Still, this is Bandai, and I expect better. They usually do it right, but every once in a while, they put out a kit that just fails to impress. This is one such kit.