vf-4 resin advice

marsbiker22

Thinking about purchasing VF-4 resin kit (1/72) and would appreciate any feedback from those that have the kit and have built it. I am not much of a builder (skill/motivation-wise) and have only successfully built a few kits (all basic plastic), but I'd love to have a "4" to grace my desk. Relatively speaking, how difficult a kit is this one and are there any details that I may be overlooking (as much as I like this kit, it would be a waste of money if I weren't able to give it the deserved attention). I thank you all, in advance.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the website I intend to purchase from did not list a brand and mentioned only the following: "This is the legendary Macross VF-4 Valkyrie. One of the hardest Valkyries to find. This high quality resin kit is 1/72 scale and has approximately 24 parts and is about 9" long when completed." and is priced at $54.99. Does this help?

Edited by marsbiker22

I bought a 1/72 VF-4 and the wing warped a little. It was one of those "no manufacture listed" models but was the only thing on the market.

Here is a link that I used for help when I built mine.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/mecha/bb_vf4.htm

Other than a good washing of the parts, it is a good idea to use metal to reinforce the pieces. Mine is stored in a box somewhere but wouldn't mind getting another one in the future.

I believe I've built the same model, which I purchased from member on here (I also have one in the stash.) I'm not sure but I think its a copy of the old Musasiya kit, remastered by someone in Hong Kong. I've built alot of resin models, and its actually one of the easiest ones I've ever built. The parts breakdown is relatively simple: the nose, core, engine nacelles, wings, tails, exhaust, as well as the cockpit details and a few small things. Probably the only major technique you'll need to learn is resin pinning, which isn't a big deal.

Personally I think the kit is gorgeous and I'd recommend it to you. Moreover its probably one of the best resin "learner" kits I can think of.

I built an original Mushshiya kit

2792987470064247675S600x600Q85.jpg

Built up pretty nice and easy. Only difficulty I had was no matter how many times I tried, I could never cut the canopy to the correct shape for the perfect fit, so instead it's a "good enough for government" fit.

Looks like e2046 is coming out with a new recast of the 1/72 VF-4. Whether this is a recast of an original kit, or a recast of a recast, I don't know; however the kits I've bought from them in the past have been good quality (for a recast).

For resin kits, I usually wash them in Simple Green. It's great for sucking the oils and release agent off of recasts, and my highly recommended product to first use. I put that in, with some cold water, and use a soft toothbrush to scrub. Then rinse thoroughly with cold water (cold to avoid any chance of resin warp).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was the one who did the revised version based off an original Musasiya kit, new nosecone, landing gears, pilot etc.

The kit is all sold out but if there is sufficient interest I could make a new mold for it. For this I need at least 10-15 confirmed buyers.