Uncharted

areaseven

Yet another video game is going to the big screen, with Mark Wahlberg once again in the lead role. The film adaptation of the PS3 hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune will have Wahlberg starring as Nathan Drake. It will be directed by David O. Russell (Three Kings, The Fighter) and produced by Charles Roven (Batman Begins, 12 Monkeys) and Avi Arad (former Marvel producer and current U.S. chair of Production I.G). Wahlberg also hinted that Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci may be involved in the film as well.

Let's hope this is better than that disastrous Max Payne film.

Mark Wahlberg Going Treasure Hunting in Uncharted

Do not want.

Wahlberg's WAY too serious to pull off Nathan Drake's wry charm. Almost anyone would be a better choice than Wahlberg.

Although I have to say, I kinda disagree with... well, most of the internet, in that I'd probably not go with Nathan Fillion, either. I think Fillion's a terrific actor who'd nail Drake's wit, but I think he looks a little too... worn, I guess. It works for him in Castle, and it really worked for him in Firefly, but I just can't picture Fillion doing the running and jumping and climbing that'd surely go with the role.

Actually (even though he's actually a year older), Drake's voice actor, Nolan North, would be a better choice.

But let's suppose for a minute that Wahlberg wasn't going to play Drake. Let's imagine they got a guy who looks, acts, and sounds just like Drake instead. The supporting cast doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either. Not that I have anything against Danny DeVito or Joe Pesci, but c'mon. Uncharted is kind of like a modern Indiana Jones, with that just-right blend of comedy, action, and adventure. Writer/director David Russell seems to think that it's about gangsters.

Younger Bruce Campbell would have been perfect. Actually, he'd be adequite for Sully, but that ain't gonna happen either. Ryan Reynalds is bus with bigger things, what about the Firefly dude, he'd actually fit pretty well. I loved Marky Mark in Hukkabee's & The Departed, but this is not his role.

Didn't Nolan North show some interest in playing this role back when the movie was still in the is making this movie a good idea stage? I guess Mark Wahlberg is a bigger name, there goes another movie with a bit of potential down the drain.

Edited by dizman

Didn't Nolan North show some interest in playing this role back when the movie was still in the is making this movie a good idea stage? I guess Mark Wahlberg is a bigger name, there goes another movie with a bit of potential down the drain.

nathan fillion wanted the role as well.

Clearly this is an example of idiot producers deciding they needed a "big star" to draw in a audience.

I'm sure the story will be made "darker and grittier" in order to accommodate Marky Mark.

Now Drake isn't a treasure hunter but an Iraqi war veteran who also loved art. Assigned to guard the National Museum of Iraq, he and a young Iraqi boy he had befriened were brutally gunned down. The brutally evil evil thieves walked out with three priceless treasures as he lay there bleeding to death, bleeding to death while cradling the body of the young Iraqi boy he had befriended, and also screaming up into the sky (zoom crane shot).

Now Drake is out for revenge and to rescue the three priceless treasures.

DUN DUN DUN!

nathan fillion wanted the role as well.

Clearly this is an example of idiot producers deciding they needed a "big star" to draw in a audience.

I'm sure the story will be made "darker and grittier" in order to accommodate Marky Mark.

Now Drake isn't a treasure hunter but an Iraqi war veteran who also loved art. Assigned to guard the National Museum of Iraq, he and a young Iraqi boy he had befriened were brutally gunned down. The brutally evil evil thieves walked out with three priceless treasures as he lay there bleeding to death, bleeding to death while cradling the body of the young Iraqi boy he had befriended, and also screaming up into the sky (zoom crane shot).

Now Drake is out for revenge and to rescue the three priceless treasures.

DUN DUN DUN!

Shut up! Someone in Hollywood could be reading this! You're going to give them ideas!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 years later...

Hollywood.:rolleyes: 

I like the actors involved, but having played all the games, this feels more like another generic action adventure buddy film than its namesake, and neither of the leads really feels like Drake or Sully to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I rather enjoyed the movie.  I do believe they were trying to establish the dynamic between the characters, as we see in the video games, I also believe that as long as they try to remain faithful to the video game while attempting to tell a good story, they might have a franchise on their hands.

Twich