Battle: Los Angeles

Snail00

Oh yeah, we have things soooooooooooo good here in Australia. (sarcasm)

On my way to work on the bus every morning I check out the huge crowd gathering outside the methodone clinic at St. Marys. Then, on my way home from work every day I check out the junkies and pregnant teenage mothers with cigarette's hanging out of their mouths at Mt Druitt station.

Talk about living in glass houses.

Anybody else wanting to talk politics should PM me or each other, before a mod waves the banhammer here. Million Star, you especially should talk to me.

Taksraven

There will always be junkies, especially in a liberal society like Australia that encourages personal irresponsibility and reliance on the State.

The US has around 10% unemployment across the country while in my area of Australia its less than 4% (National average is about 4.5% last I heard), new mega malls are opening, everyone has huge houses (recently overtook America as the largest houses in the world), its boomtime in Australia, didnt you hear?

Hmm...this one, promise it shows yes?

One thing is for sure, Michelle Rodriguez's character won't survive...they never do.

Resident Evil: Infected with T-virus, turned, blasted...

Fast and the Furious 2009: Flipped in car, shot in the head.

Lost: Shot in the gut.

Battle: Los Angeles: TBD...

Ahahaha...I was gonna say the same thing. I really do hope she makes it thru this time though...I'm rooting for hot, tough chicks! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'll admit: the SuperBowl trailer got intrigued me a little. I may actually go see this in the theater.

But still....

you telling me NO ONE else's ever noticed these things?

There are some valid points in both of those clips, but I also think that, especially with things like similar helmet design in both macross and galactica, that its trying to deal with a similar problem and coming to a similar solution, rather than just ripping each other off.

There are some valid points in both of those clips, but I also think that, especially with things like similar helmet design in both macross and galactica, that its trying to deal with a similar problem and coming to a similar solution, rather than just ripping each other off.

Would it have been better if Moor had stayed with the Dorky Egyptian themed helmets that gave no actual protection from the Vacuum of space?

Current Science is going to wards light weight pressure suits that gives the same protection as a NASA space suit while being as light and non-encumbering as a the protective suits from Car racing.

Just sit back and enjoy the fact that what was science fiction when we were or I was a child is now going to be Science fact in ten years time.

I think there's a lot of similarities in some of the space battles between Galactica and Macross as well; with the long distance shots filled with swirling fighters, explosions all over, and such. But it never really struck me as a "rip-off" per se, as much so as an homage to that visual style of epic space battle....

But don't get me started on ID4, though. I guess it just irked me a little that people gushed over it like it was some tour de force or something. Even back when it first came out, all I could think when I saw certain parts was: "man, this is such a f'ing rip-off of Macross/Robotech." Sure, the sfx were very good for the day; but everything else--the acting, the dialogue, the plot--were hackneyed and disappointing and annoyingly simplistic. Invasion-movies-for-dummies. Oh sure, I like Will Smith in movies well enough. But I can only sum his "breakout" role up with: You, sir, are NO Roy Focker! :angry:

All I know is: whatever that big-a$$ thing is coming up out of the ground at the end of the new B:LA trailer, it'd better not be a godda*ned giant robot with buildings for arms, in "storm attack mode." :p

Edited by reddsun1

Watching Taksraven's clip compilation, I noticed for the first time the similarities between Hikaru taking out Bedolza and Will Smith & J. Goldblum's missile insertion in the Hive.

However, as reddsun1 and others have pointed out some alien invasion/space combat ideas will not be new. Its all based off of WWII combat(one way or another); only the fact that the movies we now take for granted, thanks to the uniform employment of CGI, were impossible to be funded/filmed convincingly in my 70's-80's era childhood.

Thats why anime in the forms that made it over here in the late 70's/early '80's[Gatchaman, Star Blazers, SDF:DYRL on VHS] energized my generation. Roland Emmerich and several other creative producers are about my age--we all grew up on what little anime we could get. Many film creators for SF have testified to this, including a reverence for Macross. Unfortunately, like giving respect to Carl Macek, we owe hacks like Emmerich for getting it on celluloid[ or digital] & in the popular domain for starters; at least they've shown us how NOT to do epic alien warfare movies!

The clincher for me was the ID4 clip posted, with the 'laughing skull' w/the virus insertion; never thought of it before, but I'd readily guess it was an early "Easter egg" homage by Emmerich, representing Hikaru in Skull 1, doing his thing.

Forgive me if this is not news...

The macross compared with hollywood movies remind me of something I noticed awhile back. battle scenes especially from VT-8's torpedo attack on the japanese in the movie midway(1976) are almost scene for scene lifted to star wars(1977) for the battle of yavin.

To his credit, at least G. Lucas acknowledged that a big influence on SW was those earlier WWII films, as well as the Saturday morning matinee shorts like The Rocketeer, Buck Rogers, et. al. Supposedly, one of the more influential WWII films was Air Force (1943); the look of Chewbacca was purportedly influenced by the mascot dog that flies with the B-17 crew in that one (can't remember where I read/heard that though).

And don't worry, I get it; I remember the old addage from my film class back in college: every film is to some degree or another influenced by one or more of the films that have been made before it. I've just always thought that ID4 was an example more than just "influenced by," it borders on blatantly copying in some places. When it comes to that movie at least, Devlin & Emmerich have established themselves as "blockbuster makers," when they did so by basically copying-off-of-the-other-kids'-desks-during-the-quiz, to coin a phrase. They attained lofty heights in Hollywood by standing on the shoulders of giant (robots).

To his credit, at least G. Lucas acknowledged that a big influence on SW was those earlier WWII films

Indeed, very early cuts of the film actually used shots from earlier WWII films to show what the action would be like. (this was shown to studio execs, etc. and Steven Speilberg.)

Watching Taksraven's clip compilation, I noticed for the first time the similarities between Hikaru taking out Bedolza and Will Smith & J. Goldblum's missile insertion in the Hive.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ahem* - It was reddsun1 that posted those videos.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

lots of new Trailers coming up lately. This is one film im seeing in a cinema. Its been almost 2-3 years since I have been in a theater. This film better impress

Yer know. This sort of story has been done sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times before I fail to see the point.

Yer know. This sort of story has been done sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times before I fail to see the point.

can be said of any story.

can be said of any story.

true dat

corney love stories

Catch the thief stories

Suspense stories

slash and hack stories

fantasy stories

Dumb and dumber stories

Evil world innocent victim docu stories

underling boxing stories

football stories

Super hero catch the evil bad dude stories

shall I go on.............

No point ok good.

What counts is how the perspective changes and the acting is what sets it apart from its similar facsimiles

ID4 has one thing going for it: Every other movie has the hero/human being killed or shrieking at the alien coming out of the mist. Here? "BAM Welcome to Earth!"

Yup when we get invaded, if I don't get killed in the first few salvos of the inevitable orbital bombardment, and provided they aren't 50 foot high clone with greenish skin and parchant for 5 foot tall singing chinese girls I'm gonna be trying that line out.

Yup when we get invaded, if I don't get killed in the first few salvos of the inevitable orbital bombardment, and provided they aren't 50 foot high clone with greenish skin and parchant for 5 foot tall singing chinese girls I'm gonna be trying that line out.

Indeed. If i were to be so lucky as to survive the initial attack, I would definitely be looking to sign up for the defensive forces, and of course buck for mech duty. The very first thing I'd do is buy my maintenance chief a case of brewskies, and ask him to give my mount a custom paint scheme/highlights; preferably something in red, or blue, black, yellow or likewise--but definitely NOT anything in bright green! or remaining in standard-issue colors. :p

Oh whatever.

This is just going to be another version of War of the Worlds.

See, this begs the questions. What do you want to see? What would you consider a worthwhile effort that's worthy of your attention beyond the seemingly obligatory "meh" or "this is garbage because it's not on par with Inception (or whatever movie you think is decent)"?

I'm not asking because I have any particular love for this movie, or any vested interest other than wanting to be entertained. There's a certain understanding that I think one would have to possess, and that is movies like this are made for the masses and not usually intended to do anything other than fill the screen with some special effects, passable dialogue and story and tons of gun fire and explosions.

For me it's about knowing that you get what you pay for, and I don't expect this movie to garner critical acclaim or redefine the genre. And with that expectation I can go into this and be entertained for 90-120 minutes as pure escapism fun.

*I do acknowledge that there are movies ahem*Skyline*ahem that fail even at that - but I also knew that I wasn't going to see The Empire Strikes Back.

-b.

I dont think there will ever be a film made where someone wont be able to say that they stole an idea from another film, however small the similarities may be. I just want a good pre summer popcorn flick, with not to many plot holes or unobtainium.

Maybe the video game will be more entertaining...

looks like it should be a neat little frag-fest. you could say that ad's got a few spoilers in there though.

It's funny how nobody seems to think of that--or care--at the studios when they do these media/merchandising blitzes for upcoming movies. Back when I was in college, I worked PT at a Toys R Us; we knew what the aliens in ID4 were gonna look like weeks before the movie came out, cause they'd already started shipping the toys, etc.

It's funny how nobody seems to think of that--or care--at the studios when they do these media/merchandising blitzes for upcoming movies.

They don't care, in order to maximize sales the toys HAVE to be available on release date - which means gettng them to retailers earlier then that. And sales is all that matters. (some might think I'm a cynical old git, and they might be mostly correct)

Oh whatever.

yes... because once a story has been told well once, it should never, ever, be retold again, right?

:rolleyes:

We should all just watch those 2 movies you like, over and over again, because it's impossible and wrong for other people to like something else.

That's it people, all media is officially closed down. Taksraven is going to present us with the gold list of good movies, and since those are the good ones, there's no reason to make more since they'll never be as good as the ones he likes.

Oh whatever.

Wow, you must be watching a different trailer then the ones I've seen.

Unless, by "another version of War of the Worlds" you mean, aliens attacking Earth.

Or that the both titles contain the letter "A"

Yeah, I see what you mean now.