It Lives...

captain america

Captain's log, stardate: October 21st, 2011. Lunch time.

Well here we go: updates for the nose section are finally done, save for a few little details here and there. Some re-tooling is centred around the cockpit, which has had some parts re-worked and details added, especially in the aft ejection seat area. The most significant update however, is the canopy frame: originally, I was just going to provide some resin hoops to put into the vac-formed shell and that would suffice. But then I had an idea: what if I were to produce a full resin frame and then modellers could just cut out the transparency and mate these to the frame for a more realistic look?

It was a bit of a long, delicate PITA to get things going, but in the end I'm glad that I did, as I think it really adds to the look of the kit. The boarding ladder has also been tweaked somewhat and gives a sturdier look.

Lastly, the big hurdle was the markings: the original vector file was lost 2 computers ago, so all I had to work with was a small jpeg file… Not an ideal situation. Nonetheless, with a few measurements, I was able to rebuild the whole thing, one marking at a time. I also took the opportunity to update some of the fonts; I figured they'd have access to snazzier printing technology in the 2080s, surpassing the need for crude stencils!

A side-by side comparison of the markings is provided for your viewing pleasure. I was able to cram a few extra goodies that weren't in the original.

That just about covers it for this update; I will begin principal photography for the destructions next week, and moulding begins immediately after that. Keep your fingers crossed folks, we're in the home stretch!

http://imageshack.us/g/692/15374283.jpg/

decalcomparison.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Please forgive my long silence; I've been busy making the molds for the final installment, and have a resin test-shot brewing as I type this. By Friday, I should have some pics of my castings which will be well underway by week's end. Will also try to provide a coherent status report on the canopy/decals/landing gear by then as well. Fingers crossed! :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Did I say Friday? I meant Tuesday!! :lol:

Sorry guys, sometimes I lose track of time. All of the principal molds are done and casting has begun. I actually had parts to show on Friday before the weekend's festivities kinda got in the way but alas, back on track, and the castings are excellent! You'll notice from my pics that my test-shot cockpit consoles (forward and lateral) are in opaque resin, but the production units will be in translucent resin as promised.

In fact, since I'm using 3 different resins on this last leg of the project, casting will likely take a bit more time than usual, owing to the fact that I can't pour everything together, due to dissimilar pot life and de-molding time requirements. Also, the composite joints are about 2/3 done, clear canopies and decal artwork has been sent out (processing) and the main metal landing gear... I'm still waiting for info on those.

All this to say that while it may take a little extra time for this final installment to reach you, rest assured that it IS coming ^_^

post-632-0-43127500-1321374493_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-79280600-1321374505_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-37150400-1321374518_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-81114200-1321374530_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-87429600-1321374544_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-31578000-1321374575_thumb.jpg

I'm just now catching up with many of the threads. This is AWESOME WORK!!! I too wish I could have gotten in on this! At least I have your 1/350th sculpt of the Legios/TREAD ;) I sure hope we get some WIP photos from those blessed to have gotten in on this! - MT

Hey everyone!

I hope that my American friends are slowly recovering from their post-Thanksgiving turkey-induced comas and jet-lag... I on the other hand, had scrambled eggs! :lol:

Just wanted to put the word out there that as I'm finishing up the castings, I may *MAY* be able to manage 1 or 2 more full kits if anyone's interested. Putting the word out...

Hey everyone!

I hope that my American friends are slowly recovering from their post-Thanksgiving turkey-induced comas and jet-lag... I on the other hand, had scrambled eggs! :lol:

Just wanted to put the word out there that as I'm finishing up the castings, I may *MAY* be able to manage 1 or 2 more full kits if anyone's interested. Putting the word out...

PMed

wow. just got done reading 11 pages, its been a while. i remember back when i was in college and there were like 200 members on the old MW forums. this project was on the front page and i was drooling. so happy to see it moving forward, just yesterday i was wondering what had become of jm and this crazy massive scratch build model. popped in Mospeada once again on the dvd player and now it looks like i'm gonna be hitting up the forums once again! great job captain america!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

hrmm I haven't been following this one in some time as I'm not that interested in this model, but does this mean this particular kit is completed now and you'll be moving on to something else? Just wondering......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Once again, my sincerest apologies for the delay in getting the final installment to you: I just checked in with Codam23 and the joints and canopies should be on their way to me shortly. The landing gear is what's really causing me the most headache: I received the metal struts earlier this week and all but 2 sets arrived broken, so these are being re-done and this is the primary cause of the delay. Seriously, some days I could just scream. Or cry...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...