1/48 Mospeada Invid/Inbit Iigaa Scratchbuild

Since enemy mecha fans are always ignored, I decided to scratchbuild my own Mospeada invid/inbit's B))

I'll start with the "Iigaa". It's going to be scaled at 1/48 to go along the CM's/Toynmi Legioss/Tread. I'm planning to make it fully articulated (I'll use hobby base joints).

Forgot to tell it's my first attempt at scrachtbuilding a kit so critics and suggestions are welcomed ;)

Some wip pics:

post-557-128857490448_thumb.jpg

post-557-128857491625_thumb.jpg

post-557-128857492894_thumb.jpg

post-557-128857513559_thumb.jpg

post-557-128857514468_thumb.jpg

post-557-128857515442_thumb.jpg

post-557-128857516338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Since enemy mecha fans are always ignored, I decided to scratchbuild my own Mospeada invid/inbit's B))

I'll start with the "Iigaa". It's going to be scaled at 1/48 to go along the CM's/Toynmi Legioss/Tread. I'm planning to make it fully articulated (I'll use hobby base joints).

Forgot to tell it's my first attempt at scrachtbuilding a kit so critics and suggestions are welcomed ;)

Some wip pics:

Woah, that's awesome man. I'm not a huge Mospeada fan or anything, but one thing I felt was definitely missing in the toys and models that were available were the baddies. I'm surprised that Mospeada fans were able to put up the absence for this long. Finally someone's getting around to making them....cool. Looking forward to seeing your work done, and I hope you don't just stop with the Iigaa and continue to make other enemy mecha as well. Good luck!

Some wip pics:

Awesome, man. What stuff are you using to scult it?

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

I'm using two-part epoxy sulpting putty. It has a work life of around 120 minutes. It's hard to sand when it's cured but allows very fine detail work.

Should have more progress pics in a couple of days!!

Very good start! Looks like you're going to make one side of limbs then mold/cast other half?

That's what I'm planning :lol:

All the parts are at a rough stage now, I'm testing the proportions. The leg claw is finished, Im happy with the proportions of it.

I've done more progress today so I should be posting more pics in a day or two!!

Please make Gosu, for the love of God.

I've already done all the schematics for the Gosu :lol:

I'm planning to finish the Iigaa this month. The Gosu is next (after polishing and improving my skills)!!! Remember it's my first time scratchbuilding a kit. I do have a lot of experience working with resin since I repair my own surfboards so it should help a little (although it's diferent form scratbuilding hehehe!) I'm also very good at drawing so I have a trained critical eye when it comes to analysing proportions, details.

I'm a scale/proportion/detail nazi ;) this means I'll rework any piece as many times as necessary until I'm happy and you all are happy!!!

Feel free to make any suggestions/critics, they're highly welcommed.

*aims crosshair, loads cash...*

oh! wel this is f'n fantastic! What have you got planned poseability wise?

I'll make it as poseable as possible. Some parts are going to be hollow to reduce weight. I'm planning where and how, body and forearm/claws are a given.

I've used Hobby Base clear ball joints for my 1/144 DYRL? Nousjadeul Ger and they work fine. I'm taking the ball joints into account while building the Iiga.

I'll make it as poseable as possible. Some parts are going to be hollow to reduce weight. I'm planning where and how, body and forearm/claws are a given.

I've used Hobby Base clear ball joints for my 1/144 DYRL? Nousjadeul Ger and they work fine. I'm taking the ball joints into account while building the Iiga.

Incredible. This is so cool~! and in scale with our poor badguyless mospy stuff!

Everyone remember this? - http://anymoon.com/blog/2008/06/29/do-you-want-enemy-mecha-i-have-a-scoop-for-you/

Gosu..............................................

gallery_3118_347_4884.jpggallery_3118_347_10589.jpggallery_3118_347_8902.jpggallery_3118_347_8140.jpggallery_3118_347_9285.jpggallery_3118_347_42565.jpg

ripped these images from anywhere everywhere i should dig out the mospy book and scan em.

sources - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cyc01/gosu.htm

http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/invid/Gosu_Invid_Commander/Gosu_Invid_Commander.html

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Little update!!

I've sculpted the lower body where the limbs connect:

Pic 1: I applied clear tape under the main body/shell and sculpted the lower body according to the painted patterns.

post-557-128896141501_thumb.jpg

Pic 2: The clear tape serves two purposes. First, I can see the pattern, this allows me to sculpt the lower body to the desired proportions and get a nice match between the two parts. Then after the new part hardened, it doesn't bond to the main body and I can separate it. (If there's another or better method it'd be good to hear about it ^_^ )

post-557-128896140185_thumb.jpg

Pic 3: Both parts separated.

post-557-128896146269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Sanding, sanding and more sanding!!!

I use light/shade and paper patterns to check the shape of the parts and sand, sculpt, resculpt as needed.

When satisfied with the shape of the parts I'll start detailing them and smoothing them with fine sand paper.

post-557-128896209141_thumb.jpg post-557-12889621015_thumb.jpg post-557-128896211197_thumb.jpg

Actually... Toynami is watching! Maiden Japan can do this in his sleep (No offense Ignacio) but will the people he works for pay him to? I'm all for criticizing the Man! Well, I criticize MJ too, but just to see the nicest guy get mad and flip me off... haha.

hey I was wondering when you were going to post this.

to keep parts sticking from each other you can use petroleum jelly and a brush. Tape works also but in case you have complicated areas that you need to keep from bonding. Try it out first on some scratch pieces though. Never experiment on the pieces your working on. Something that I can't seem to learn... lol. Let me know when you get to the ball joints, I can help you out there...

:

More like "are you watching Toynami?" for the Vinyl line perhaps??? But great work!!!! ^_^

:D:D Yeah i,m just daydreaming about yamato doing something with the beagle fuke mold!!

I

guess 1/10 would be too big??!!I,m just hoping yamato is watching ..and I,m holding out for the next Mospeada anniversary!! :D

Hot bookends MJ.!!!

Edited by troyness

Just to help you with these pictures for reference.

These are from Comic-con excluse bookends that I designed.

I have the Blue Alpha and Invid Inforcer bookends with all my anime dvd's in between them...I gotta say, they are awesome!!! The detail is amazing. If any of you Mospeada guys don't have a set, do yourself a favor and pick up a set. Well worth the $$$. Did you design those as well MJ??? If you did, great job!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...