On 5/7/2022 at 1:48 AM, seti88 said:

I saw a top gun trailer before the dr strange movie started and it seemed to not be like any of the other trailers shown before.

There were much more aerial combat scenes between tom and the squad, with the push-ups as punishment. It was awesome with the wingman trying to tag tom whilst dogfighting with the other f-18!

i dont know if that was an exclusive trailer...i cant seem to find it anywhere!

Saw that sneak peek as well, pretty sure it was an exclusive to show in front of Dr. Strange.

And it looks fantastic, can' t wait to see this in theaters!

-b.

16 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Saw that sneak peek as well, pretty sure it was an exclusive to show in front of Dr. Strange.

And it looks fantastic, can' t wait to see this in theaters!

-b.

Cool to hear i wasnt hallucinating! 😅 

Those flight scenes got me itching in my seat......I feel the need...the need for speed! :yahoo:

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

IGN gave it a 7. Same score as Matrix: Resurrections...

https://www.ign.com/articles/top-gun-maverick-review

Trying to figure out why it got the score it did; a vast majority of the article gushes about how they actually managed to repeat the original in feel while visually blowing it out the water. The big complaints seem to be centered around the films diversity and or the lack of the originals; which is time period correct.  They like the injection of new blood but miss the "boys" lockerroom "campiness" for lack of a better term.  If you end an aritcle essentially saying it delivers just as well if not better than the orignal, how does it end up a 7, a 9.5-10 it will never be I'm sure but if its just like the old one isn't that a solid 8.5?

So I've been holding any enthusiasm for this, just out of general management of expectations...

But this might be one of the best endorsements you could ever ask for.  He does go into details that would count as spoilers for the overall plot, so you've been warned.  Some specifics are kept vague, but it's a fairly complete plot summary.

Spoiler

I got to see a few bits of the hubbub surrounding the filming, because a fairly large chunk was done on base at China Lake, and I hope we wind up with some sort of public viewing in town here.

I fully expect that his opinion is heavily colored by nostalgia glasses, but at the same time, I feel like this isn't the type of movie to go into looking for oscar-worthy writing and performances anyhow.  If it lives up to the original, that's good enough for me, which mostly means I'm in the seat to get my hair blown back by jet noise in surround sound. :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

While it is being consistent with the original, one thing that's always been completely inaccurate about Top Gun is how stylish the callsigns are.  The only pilots I've ever known with callsigns that weren't some form of in-joke or veiled reference to previous dumbassery on the part of the pilot were from the Air Force. :p 

Navy callsigns are earned, not picked.  Every once in a while you get oddball ones that sound very cool, like "DASH," but then you learn the history, and discover it's a reference to when the guy's utility knife came loose in the cockpit during carrier ops, and literally stands for "Dumb Ass Stabbed Himself." :lol:  I've managed to get to know a fair number of flight crew over the years, and some of the ones that stick out are "ERAL" (literally a guy named Earl who the maintainers misprinted his name on his plane, and the name stuck when he complained), "Dingle" (a guy whose last name is "Berry"), and "Gnome" (someone with the literal face of a lawn gnome).

"BOB" is probably the most realistic one of them, since there are a lot of things that could stand for.  Maybe Rooster, since that's a rather well-known euphemism.

Very true. I actually served with a DASH. And the story definitely happened. 😂

good guy though. Knows everything about every bond movie. 

My favorite: HAMBURGLAR. Because he looked just like the HAMBURGLAR from McDonald’s. 

Edited by mcfly50

Only two new original songs for the Soundtrack; One Republic and Lady Gaga. Can't say I'm impressed with either, but found myself asking why with the talent used a couple of songs weren't covered from the first film.  One Republic could have used their harmonies quite well covering "Playing with the Boys", put some extra emphasis on the base line and they might have had something on the airwaves again on cycle.  Lady Gaga completely missed the opportunity to cover Berlin's song; and while K.M. isn't returning as a love interest, the fact that the love interest is one we have already heard stories about, it could be worked in with a little humor or just paying homage to those blue lit scenes from the first film. Thankfully from what I've heard, the Theme and Danger Zone get brought back.   

On 5/22/2022 at 7:43 AM, mcfly50 said:

Very true. I actually served with a DASH. And the story definitely happened. 😂

good guy though. Knows everything about every bond movie. 

My favorite: HAMBURGLAR. Because he looked just like the HAMBURGLAR from McDonald’s. 

There was a Legacy Hornet Driver, during either the 08 or '10 Ike Cruise, that I seen on one of the birds: callsign 'Blitch'.

Because of what I did in the Navy, although I will enjoy the planes (very much so), I'll be the one looking for SE. Literally everything that I would look for, has been replaced in the past 12 years (A-31Bs Tugs-> A-49s; A-3 (CYLOP'd NC-2A GPUs) -> Don't know its MIL Spec #; P-25 Fire truck -> P-25A (You can't tell the difference outside of its TEC, the 25A has a different motor and Front End)... But I'm a nerd.

NASWOGS!!!

Phewww...just came out of the theatre with jet engine sounds seared into my brain...plus took lots of snapshots with the top gun posters all over the cinema🤣🤣..

Top gun Maverick elevated the fighter jet experience with the cockpit and flight cinematography. Flight scenes are leaps more visceral and engaging than the OG TG.

Truly needs to be experienced with cinema speakers.

DONT THINK JUST ENJOY!

On 5/25/2022 at 6:45 AM, Wolf-1 said:

Only two new original songs for the Soundtrack; One Republic and Lady Gaga. Can't say I'm impressed with either, but found myself asking why with the talent used a couple of songs weren't covered from the first film.  One Republic could have used their harmonies quite well covering "Playing with the Boys", put some extra emphasis on the base line and they might have had something on the airwaves again on cycle.  Lady Gaga completely missed the opportunity to cover Berlin's song; and while K.M. isn't returning as a love interest, the fact that the love interest is one we have already heard stories about, it could be worked in with a little humor or just paying homage to those blue lit scenes from the first film. Thankfully from what I've heard, the Theme and Danger Zone get brought back.   

Lady gaga’s Song fitted perfectly when it needed to. 👌

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

Lady gaga’s Song fitted perfectly when it needed to. 👌

That may be, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's not Radio "Hit" friendly, meaning while it can certainly be played on any Top 40's Radio station, I haven't heard it make the rounds on any of the various stations listened to around work or during any test drive with a Customer's radio station preferences playing.  I have heard Berlin's Take My Breathe Away multiple times in last week and my "Classic Rock/Modern Rock" station has seen fit to break out some K. Loggins; the morning D.J. in particular. 

As a kid it was almost impossible to get through a Summer without at least one movie cleaning up on the radio stations, even if the film itself bombed. And while the Radio has certainly lost some of it's power, it's far from dead.  Never thought I would miss Sunday's C.K. Top 100 countdown and all the stories, letters that accompanied those prodcasts; as the saying goes though; you never know what've you got, till it's gone.

3 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

That may be, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's not Radio "Hit" friendly, meaning while it can certainly be played on any Top 40's Radio station, I haven't heard it make the rounds on any of the various stations listened to around work or during any test drive with a Customer's radio station preferences playing.  I have heard Berlin's Take My Breathe Away multiple times in last week and my "Classic Rock/Modern Rock" station has seen fit to break out some K. Loggins; the morning D.J. in particular. 

As a kid it was almost impossible to get through a Summer without at least one movie cleaning up on the radio stations, even if the film itself bombed. And while the Radio has certainly lost some of it's power, it's far from dead.  Never thought I would miss Sunday's C.K. Top 100 countdown and all the stories, letters that accompanied those prodcasts; as the saying goes though; you never know what've you got, till it's gone.

When I listen to the radio, it’s the classic rock station anyway. Not much for pop so I wouldn’t know. Danger Zone was the one I remember from the first film though and that still gets some airplay.

I got a question about the 1st Top Gun Movie.

Maverick got his name for being a maverick. His Superiors sees him acting like a maverick. Iceman thinks he's dangerous. Why wasn't he dismissed from the Navy years before the 1st movie took place? Don't they have regulations and rules on behavior?  "Iron-Eagle" was heroic fantasy movie. "Top Gun" was somewhat realistic.

18 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Maverick got his name for being a maverick. His Superiors sees him acting like a maverick. Iceman thinks he's dangerous. Why wasn't he dismissed from the Navy years before the 1st movie took place? Don't they have regulations and rules on behavior?  "Iron-Eagle" was heroic fantasy movie. "Top Gun" was somewhat realistic.

If I had to guess, it's because he would push his luck only so far, then stop just short of actual trouble (except for those times where he crossed the line through idiocy or miscalculation). He seems the type to practice "brinksmanship".

22 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

I haven’t watched it, but there’s a YouTube video by a jag officer and on the thumbnail suggesting he could have faced execution with a teaser question mark. There might be more answers there.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:45 PM, JB0 said:

Apparently, he had so much fun in Top Gun that he went and got a pilot's license shortly afterwards.

Cruise has been a pilot since 1994. He's multi-engine qualified and learned how to fly a helicopter for his last Mission Impossible film.

I'm planning on seeing this this weekend. Although I'm sure the F-18 scenes are going to be awesome, it's the scenes with a different plane that I'm curious about, even if they're just an embellishment. At the very least, it has to be better than Stealth.

Saw it last night. 

IT

WAS

AWESOME!!!!!!!

I’m a life long aviation fanatic and was in the Navy. Yes the movie is very unrealistic to what it is really like. So what? It is just old school action movie fun with AMAZING flight sequences. Yes things are MUCH closer then they’d really be but something’s need to be done for visual appeal for movie audiences etc. they did at least give some semblance of trying to be a little more realistic in a few spots. I absolutely adore this movie…..pretty much how I did the original when I was a kid. As an adult now with real world experience, I can say I think this was a far better movie than the original. 

Chris

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Saw it last night. 

IT

WAS

AWESOME!!!!!!!

I’m a life long aviation fanatic and was in the Navy. Yes the movie is very unrealistic to what it is really like. So what? It is just old school action movie fun with AMAZING flight sequences. Yes things are MUCH closer then they’d really be but something’s need to be done for visual appeal for movie audiences etc. they did at least give some semblance of trying to be a little more realistic in a few spots. I absolutely adore this movie…..pretty much how I did the original when I was a kid. As an adult now with real world experience, I can say I think this was a far better movie than the original. 

Chris

Glad to hear it, especially from someone who's been in that world. I'm not looking for cinematic gold, just a good rollick with jets doing their thing. 

43 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

7 out of 10,  The Jets were the stars, the finale was superb.  Yes its has Macross Plus elements . 

Anytime anything is compared to Macross Plus, one of my all-time favorite anime, I'm intrigued. If you're gonna do a movie about jet fighters, you can't go wrong from taking inspiration from Macross. Looking forward to it.

4 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

You mean the love triangle or the homicidal AI pop star? lol

😁