To each their own, I guess. I've never read the printed stuff, would it be safe to assume that some of the comic-based stuff would not translate well to the screen?

There really isn't anything in the comics that could not have been show on TV, with the excetpion of one instance of pedophilia.

There is sex in the comic, but as it was stated earlier in the thread, the characters are usually shown just about to get it on or post-coitus; the sex is never explicitly shown.

edit: Just to clarify what I wanted to say a little more. "The Walking Dead" is a comic book about a group of people wandering around deserted cities and highways trying to survive. The most high-tech piece of equipment they've ever had was a van, a truck, and a scoped hunting rifle. One time they shacked up in an abandoned house. Another time, an abandoned prison. It's an extremely simple story in those respects.

Edited by atomicscissors

I completely disagree. Game of Thrones, which is probably 98% faithful to the books is how a TV adaptation should be.

For myself, if I'm watching a book-to-TV, or book-to-movie adaptation I want it to be as faithful to the source material as possible.

Honestly, if they had changed the title of The Walking Dead TV series to "Extremely Loosely Inspired by The Walking Dead", I probably would have enjoyed season one a lot more. At least then I wouldn't have had any false expectations.

Graham

When the show was first being discussed they were very clear they weren't going to completely adhere to the Comic Book story because they didn't want to retread old ground and because they wanted to give the readers something different to look forward to and be surprised by. You can argue they've done a bad job at this so far but it was never a secret they were going to deviate.

All of this walking, talking and crying-I feel like I'm watching the Lord of the Rings movies again, but it's fine-a story's only as good as the tale of the people in it, and they have to have filler episodes anyway.

As for Shane, I had a feeling that's where THAT was headed, I just didn't think he'd do it like THAT. It's about time we had someone else to hate other than Merle, though, as it seems like they've neutered Daryl...

Isn't it going to be walking and talking the whole time? I thought this was a road series. This episode was way better than the last ones... just wish they'd quit

stretching the missing girl angle.

But that Shane thing was a pretty good payoff.

Isn't it going to be walking and talking the whole time? I thought this was a road series.

True, and a story about people living the apocalypse is just as interesting as a movie about people causing it. That "thing" they're stretching out is ridiculous at this point. I can only think they're going to answer this question with something shocking...

Poor Otis. Poor, poor Otis. As the show went on, you knew Shane was shady as hell. It's kinda weird since he *is* helpful at times, oftenly backing his friend as far as group decisions go. But I didn't think he had it in him to betray Otis the way he did, despite Otis saving his behind. Man... As for the girl, I think they'll find her alright. As a walker.

Characters like Rick bore me, because they're good, hopeful and optimistic almost all of the time-kinda like Optimus Prime. But, what if you take a guy like Shane that, in the pre-apocalypse was a stand-up, righteous man of the law and then is thrust into this sort of chaos; when he starts to break down it's fascinating, because you see this proper individual start to make selfish, evil choices. Good stuff, I tell ya. I can't wait to see when Rick finds out what his best friend has been up to...

Being up to date with the comic, I will say that the show is a becoming a horrible reflection.

Aside that the story is deviating in character paths, season 2 is boring.

What made the comic so great was the unexpected twists in character's personalities, and had constant human needs, both righteous and selfish.

In the show the characters are too predictably linear and refuse to evolve.

I'm tired of seeing Andrea constantly freeze up and cry. Just like Rick's endless monologues, and everyone's obvious philosophy.

(Major spoilers from the comic here!)

Where is Dale's and Andrea's intimate relationship? Yeah, Dale was shagging her and her sister and sadly was omitted from the show...

Where's that cold streak in Carl?

Why is Shane still alive?

Where's Tyreese?

What is the point of this T-Dog?

Why do the Zombies suddenly dash and run in season 2?

Walking Dead comic is about surviving human interaction in a doomed world. The show is about surviving the producers' uncreative forced vision.

And yeah, Game of Thrones is the fact that direct conversions work.

Edited by Omegablue

Being up to date with the comic, I will say that the show is a becoming a horrible reflection.

What made the comic so great was the unexpected twists in character's personalities, and had constant human needs, both righteous and selfish.

Walking Dead comic is about surviving human interaction in a doomed world. The show is about surviving the producers' uncreative forced vision.

+10 to all above points. :)

Graham

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the creators of the television show had no intention of copying the written works. Furthermore, why should they? This is someone else's take on the Walking Dead universe and it should be free to do what it wants to. As for being boring, this story is about people living through a horrific nightmare, it's not a machine gun emptying session of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare where you have to sprint from point A to point B. In my opinion there's been a healthy balance of exposition, tension, fear and action.

Unless there's a psychological problem with someone, sudden, unexpected twists in a personality are unnatural. What is more realistic is a gradual reveal of what someone truly is underneath the comfortable facade that every human displays when all is good and normal in the world; Shane is the PERFECT example of this. Also, are you saying that you've been accurately predicting how some of these characters, such as Daryl, Shane, Lori and Andrea, to name a few would conduct themselves over the course of the episodes? I'm guessing that these characters are predictable to you because you've read the comic?

I'm tired of seeing Andrea constantly freeze up and cry. Just like Rick's endless monologues, and everyone's obvious philosophy.

Well, I can't even begin to imagine how I'd behave in a post apocalyptic world where nightmares come true, but I could imagine that there'd be a lot of freezing up and crying if the events of the Walking Dead became real.

Rick's endless monologues are the counter to Lori and everyone else's hopelessness, and probably the hopelessness that the audience might be feeling. He's trying to remain optimistic in the face of unbelievable odds and circumstances even if everyone else, including the audience has given up. Also, he's the central character in this story. For the first few moments of the series the story was being told through his eyes, his experiences. As such, I'd expect a lot of talk from Rick as he's the main character and he is the unofficial leader of the group.

Where is Dale's and Andrea's intimate relationship? Yeah, Dale was shagging her and her sister and sadly was omitted from the show...

Where's Tyreese?

All of the comic spoilers you've listed are again based on the premise that the show should be mirroring the comic, which it was never intended to, nor should it have to.

Again, considering that we're barely three episodes into this season, it's too early to make a judgement call like that one. Also, what do you mean when you say their vision is forced? We don't even know where the producers are going with this, we don't know what the vision is.

And that's fine, but again this is an interpretation of an existing work and they are free to shape their own story. I guarantee that all of the critics of the television show would have a much better opinion of it if they could just LET GO of this notion that the program needs to follow the comic books. I mean, if you prefer the comic books fine, I get that, but the television show is an entirely separate entity and should be treated accordingly.

PS, Shane is an a**hole...

Edited by myk

Yeah, totally about Shane. :p

Of course I prefer the comic book. The characters in the series are predictable to me because they're very generic from other generic series. Rick in the comic book is more real as he makes mistakes and isn't a clear cut angelic good guy. That's an example of many. They're leaving all the questionable actions of the characters.

Again, I feel it's pointless taking a story that is a success, and recreating it just for the sake of TV, and denying new fans the true pleasure of the true WD story.

As well since the story in series has reached Herschel farm, at that stage of the comic book so much excited stuff had already happened, which really evolved the characters in solid directions.

Either way no point counter arguing on this further. I remain that the comic book is a far superior and more original script that this imitation of a series. :p

Where's Tyreese?

Well put, sir.

Either way no point counter arguing on this further. I remain that the comic book is a far superior and more original script that this imitation of a series. :p

Yeah.

"The Walking Dead: TV Series" is to the comic-book as "Robotech" is to "Macross".

OH SNAP!

Edited by atomicscissors

That's hard to believe considering how awful the comic was.

This is the type of conversation that makes me happy AND sad that the Locke & Key pilot didn't get picked up.

Re: TWD, I've never read the Walking Dead books, I think I was away from collecting when the series launched and it never caught my eye until the show was announced.

The fact that I'm enjoying the show, even with the valid criticisms of the behavior of some of the characters, makes me happy I hadn't read the books. This way I don't have any real beef if and when the show deviates from the comics (in a way that I would potentially disapprove of).

-b.

"The Walking Dead: TV Series" is to the comic-book as "Robotech" is to "Macross".

OH SNAP!

Again, after a whole season of being miserable, I don't understand why people that keep comparing the show to the book are still watching. It's as if this is the first ever adaptation they've ever encountered. Most live adaptations don't live up to the original source. Period.

That being said, if the critism was comparing this season so far to the last, I have to admit it's been seiously lacking until the last episode. Stretched out storylines and scenes to fill in more expensive scenes. I'm not a HUGE enough fan of Darabont to say that it's his absence that's missed, but I do know that his firing was due to budgetary constraints and I feel like we're starting to see the effects of AMC's penny pinching ways. That robotech analogy is retarded though. Robotech's downfall is that the current "showrunners" are amateurs and pay no respect to it's original creators where this is written by the same guy that writes the books. As much as you may not like the show, and even if itis lacking in a general way, anything that has to do with the new robotech can never be this good.

Again, after a whole season of being miserable, I don't understand why people that keep comparing the show to the book are still watching. It's as if this is the first ever adaptation they've ever encountered. Most live adaptations don't live up to the original source. Period.

That being said, if the critism was comparing this season so far to the last, I have to admit it's been seiously lacking until the last episode. Stretched out storylines and scenes to fill in more expensive scenes. I'm not a HUGE enough fan of Darabont to say that it's his absence that's missed, but I do know that his firing was due to budgetary constraints and I feel like we're starting to see the effects of AMC's penny pinching ways. That robotech analogy is retarded though. Robotech's downfall is that the current "showrunners" are amateurs and pay no respect to it's original creators where this is written by the same guy that writes the books. As much as you may not like the show, and even if itis lacking in a general way, anything that has to do with the new robotech can never be this good.

Personally, I haven't watched the new season, and I don't plan to. I've given up on it. I just like to see what's going on in here.

Who's talking about the new Robotech? "Old" Robotech, "new" Robotech -- it's all the same. My analogy is apt! APT I SAY!!!!!11!1

That's hard to believe considering how awful the comic was.

Jf4CT.jpg

Edited by atomicscissors

Honestly, I read the comic collection 1 that covered up to them leaving the prison. Not that impressed with it either. Personally, I found the characters TOO all over the place with way too dramatic personality swings that just came out of nowhere....even when living in a relatively safe, calm environment. Just found most of the characters in the comic unlikable. Seemed like they went out of there way to piss on each other. Plus the art always looked like they were always pissed of at each other even when in just calm friendly conversations.

Like the show, not the greatest and agree that it does seem to be getting drawn out in some aspects, but I do prefer it over the comic. Also knew that they where not going to follow the comic exactly which I am fine with in this case......but completely agree with Game of Thrones! :D

Chris

You've perfectly reviewed the whole series with just that one line. :)

No he hasn't. While only reading a few of the comics, I do see where the show has trailed off. It remains compelling television and has taken a genre many considered a party joke to a whole new level.

But to compare the series to a hack and slash re-dub that could be compared these days to a fan fic... definitely not.

Characters like Rick bore me, because they're good, hopeful and optimistic almost all of the time-kinda like Optimus Prime. But, what if you take a guy like Shane that, in the pre-apocalypse was a stand-up, righteous man of the law and then is thrust into this sort of chaos; when he starts to break down it's fascinating, because you see this proper individual start to make selfish, evil choices. Good stuff, I tell ya. I can't wait to see when Rick finds out what his best friend has been up to...

Playing Devil's Advocate...

Shane's act was not selfish at all. If anything you might call it justified. They were both on the run from that swarm, out of ammo and out of luck. They had to get the medical supplies back to the farm to save Carl, Shane saw that Otis could serve as a sacrificial lamb to get the job done. It was Otis' fault for shooting the kid to begin with, he himself said he'd do whatever it took to save him right? Well becoming walker bait was the only way to do it.

While only reading a few of the comics, I do see where the show has trailed off. It remains compelling television and has taken a genre many considered a party joke to a whole new level.

Ugh. The idea that the TV series has taken the zombie genre to "a whole new level" is laughable. In fact, I'll do just that. Ho ho ho.

Playing Devil's Advocate...

Shane's act was not selfish at all. If anything you might call it justified. They were both on the run from that swarm, out of ammo and out of luck. They had to get the medical supplies back to the farm to save Carl, Shane saw that Otis could serve as a sacrificial lamb to get the job done. It was Otis' fault for shooting the kid to begin with, he himself said he'd do whatever it took to save him right? Well becoming walker bait was the only way to do it.

I see where you're coming from.

But, I would argue that a person of conscience and the ability to think of others wouldn't be able to do such a thing, even if such actions would save someone else. Again, this is just speculation on my part because....who knows what he, you or even I would really do in that situation and how it might ultimately affect us. Now, if the two of them had "agreed" on Shane's action I could see it as justified, but Otis had no idea what was about to happen. Although...Otis had suggested earlier that Shane continue on without him, didn't he? Playing devil's advocate we could say that Shane was just acting in what Otis himself had suggested. Anyway, what a mess this is becoming, lol...

I would agree with Zor that a certain type of person can justify to himself such actions. I think Shane had every intention of escaping with Otis but I believe the scene was there to show what sort of underhanded deeds he's capable of just the right amount of justifications. But given a different circumstance, without the boy or the medicine and just the two of them at the end of their ropes... I do believe that Shane would have done the exact same thing to Otis. Maybe he couldn't have done it to Rick or Lori, but I can see him throwing someone like Glenn or even Darryl under the zombie bus just to stay alive. I can even see him doing that with Rick there and later on they'd have an argument with Shane giving him the "what would you have me do?" speech.