I've always had an appreciation for zombie movies. Romero movies or World War Z by Max Brooks have been my faves in the genre. Now AMC is taking to TV another story based on a series of graphic novels. Looks like we'll be seeing a Jericho type show except instead of nukes, we get zombies!

The Walking Dead-AMC

Premieres on Halloween...I'm looking forward to it.

I've always had an appreciation for zombie movies. Romero movies or World War Z by Max Brooks have been my faves in the genre. Now AMC is taking to TV another story based on a series of graphic novels. Looks like we'll be seeing a Jericho type show except instead of nukes, we get zombies!

The Walking Dead-AMC

Premieres on Halloween...I'm looking forward to it.

Try "High school of the dead" on the Anime Network online it will be on Anime Network VOD later this month.

AMC has been marketing the hell out of this series. They've delivered all kinds of pre-release trivia to the film bloggers for nearly a year now and I can't watch a single hockey game without seeing an add for the show at least half a dozen times. I really hope Darabount can pull this off and produce something that is as good as they're making it look.

As a huge fan of the Walking Dead graphic novels, I've been really looking forward to this. Hope they stay reasonably faithful to the comics and that it doesn't get cancelled after one season as so many promising genre shows seem to do these days.

Graham

Oh, and mild objection to the slightly misleading thread title.

The zombies in the Walking Dead are Romero slow mover type zombies, or as referred to in the comic, 'Roamers' and 'Lurkers' and they do not talk.

They ARE NOTthe silly talking zombies from the 'Return of the Living Dead' comedy movie, that always say "Brains".

Graham

I love Return of the living dead!

honestly, I've read The Walking Dead and I didn't really like it all that much. I don't know why but I don't really care for zombie themed comic books, even though I love zombie movies.

so yeah, not a fan of The Walking Dead; definitely a fan of Linnea Quigley though. :p

Edited by anime52k8

Conversely, I'm not really a fan of zombie movies, but Walking Dead has made me realise that I quite like zombie comics. The trailers look good when seen through the eyes of a reader of the comics, so I hope the real thing will deliver the goods. And I really hope they get a deal to do the whole thing - this is not a series that could be wrapped up quickly in a single episode (or follow-on movie) if it was axed.

honestly, I've read The Walking Dead and I didn't really like it all that much. I don't know why but I don't really care for zombie themed comic books, even though I love zombie movies.

I've only read 25 (it was a big hardcover a friend lent me) of the issues and while there's a lot to like about a comic/graphic novel approach to a Zombie Survival scenario it seems to focus too much on forced sexual situations. It just reminds me too much of ubiquitous shower scenes for horror/suspense flicks of which there was at least one of in the volumes I read :lol:

I still have some hope the TV series will be the new Definitive live action Zombie Survival scenario though.

lol @ RT

i love zombie flicks.

I only need to see the trailers to get the double-entendre of the show's title, and think: might be interesting to see where they try to go with the character development--but this show looks like another one that'll die after only 1 season [no pun intended].

Edited by reddsun1

Oh, and mild objection to the slightly misleading thread title.

The zombies in the Walking Dead are Romero slow mover type zombies, or as referred to in the comic, 'Roamers' and 'Lurkers' and they do not talk.

They ARE NOTthe silly talking zombies from the 'Return of the Living Dead' comedy movie, that always say "Brains".

Graham

Agreed...the "brains" was to add flare to the topic hehe...Personally the idea of a zombie not being a lurker and have the same or higher speed and strength of a human is terrifying.

Have you read World War Z?

I've got a soft spot for zombie flicks, the good ones give me the willies for a few days. Admittedly, though, they're often pretty much the same movie with varying amounts of gore. Therefore, I'm really excited to see what will unfold with a zombie series. Just the time allowed to explore concepts will make this a very different experience.

Agreed...the "brains" was to add flare to the topic hehe...Personally the idea of a zombie not being a lurker and have the same or higher speed and strength of a human is terrifying.

Have you read World War Z?

Yep, just finally got around to reading World War Z recently and really enjoyed it. I'd read the Zombie Survival guide a few years ago, but disn't really like it, as I disagreed with a lot of what Max Brook wrote, especially involving equipment. That's probably why I delayed so long in reading World War Z.

I've been a fan of Romero's Dead movies since first seeing Day of the Dead in the mid-80s. I own and frequently watch all 6 of Romero's Zombie movies as well as the Tom Savini remake of Romero's Night of the Living Dead, which I think is excellent.

Not a fan of any Zombie movie with fast-movers.

Graham

No, MTV has this show called Jersey Shore.

QFE!

And to answer the question, no, this is the first time an ongoing series has been dedicated to the undead.

@Graham, I read that World War Z is in pre-production and that Brad Pitt will play the part of the reporter going all over the world interviewing survivors.

I have a few problems with AMC. The movies they show tend to have commercials in them, and they take a hatchet to the films the do get their hands on.

AMC is not HBO so you're going to get commercials. The hatchet you speak of is not as bad as other networks I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

So c'mon guys, without giving any spoilers away, how was it? Good, bad, great?

Graham

Quality is of a mega million film.

Characters are down to the T of their comic book counterparts.

Dialogue is more real and indepth compared to the comic.

There are slight deviations of how it pans from rick waking up. Which actually makes more sense, but still follows the comic's path.

Zombies... probably the most convincing yet. ^_^

Acting is seamless, great choices with Rick, Shane and Laurie.

Episode ending, awesome! :o

From the pace of it, I would say it's most likely they will meet Tyreese towards the end of the first season. :D

There's intense additions to Morgon's and Rick's characters. :D

Ok, now onto the bad things... Which is only the wait for episode 2. :(

If you're a fan of the comics, you'll love it.

If you've never read the comics, you'll become addicted to it.

Edited by Omegablue

Didn't really read the comic but I will...Wow what an amazing show so far! Definitely not what I expected in a really good way.

The scene with the deputy and the Zombie crawling around in the park.... when he turns to her and says “I’m sorry this happened to you"

really set the emotional tone for the show.

Zombies are really amazing to look at especially in high def, since I recorded it to edit commercials; I kept going back to look at the gorgeous special effects.

AMC thank you for taking such a bold step!

Edited by >EXO<
added spoiler tag.

So I really dont understand the fascination about zombies, ware wolfs, and vampires. Pretty lamo monsters to scare a 9 year old maybe. Space monsters Yeah

Monsters like giant sharks and crocs yeah. And even ghosts and corporate executives can be scary.

Now I watched last nights show and it fascinates me more of what the last man standing would do in an empty world. That is why I loved I Am Legend. It took it at from a scientific standpoint. The so called zombies were created from a mutated gene strain to cure cancer. They are allergic to sunlight, and have avaricious appetite for meat.

But they move fast, can be shot other than the head and display drone intelligence. And they are alive not dead corpses.

In Zombie movies they are DEAD. Dead being decaying mass of flesh, sinew and bones. So that being said why do they need to eat?

All you will need to do is let them starve and they would waste away. Why does a DEAD thing need to eat. So as I saw in last nights show very disgusting to put on TV so early, is a women clearly torn from the waist showing signs of heavy decomposition crawling in the park and either recognizing her boyfriend cop as dinner or someone she knew so is she alive? And magically she dies with a bullet in her head. So is the body dead and the brain alive? If that is the case does the body waste away until there is only brains left rolling around and looking for FRY! So the birds are eating the corpse are they going to be zombies too. And they move so slow. You mean to tell me you cant napalm them to hell? This and the whole concept of Zombies is very childish. Although I loved I am Legend and the Road which is very unsettling for a post apocalyptic movie.

Edited by Snail00