Another Century's Episode: P(ortable) for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

:blink::blink::blink:

Mecha List:

Layzner

Brain Powered

?

King Gainer

Code Geass R2

Nadesico

Nadesico movie

L-Gaim

Dragonar

Z Gundam

CCA

Gundam X

Gundam Wing EW

Turn-A

Gundam 00

VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire

Macross Plus

Macross Frontier

Eureka Seven movie

post-31-12869500836_thumb.jpg

On the fence about this. Will need to see more/better screen shots and then wait for some reviews after release.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of 99% of the non-Macross mecha in the game and think most of them are damn silly looking. That, together with the fact that Macross mecha in ACE games often have handling problems, so I'm gonna wait and see before getting all excited.

Graham

On the fence about this. Will need to see more/better screen shots and then wait for some reviews after release.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of 99% of the non-Macross mecha in the game and think most of them are damn silly looking. That, together with the fact that Macross mecha in ACE games often have handling problems, so I'm gonna wait and see before getting all excited.

Graham

Yup, as doggedly as they handle in the other games, I don't see much better here.

I like the idea of playing Another Century game while on the move, though one must wonder how it will handle on the PSP. Like Graham, will wait for better screenshots and some gameplay footage before i comment more.

Well, the PS2 handled ACE games fine, so in terms of hardware processing power, the PSP can handle a game like this. It'll be interesting to see how the game controls work out, considering you're losing a pair of shoulder buttons and an analog stick.

Still though, I'm excited! Going to pre-order this one as soon as it's available.

I'm not worried about the processing power of the PSP.

My concern is whether the VF performance will be deliberately handicapped, with slow turning, poor flight performance etc, so as to not make other lesser mecha seem too bad in comparison, the way that has seemed to happen with the recent PS3 Ace Game.

Graham

Mecha List:

Layzner

Brain Powered

Wings of Rean

King Gainer

Code Geass R2

Nadesico

Nadesico movie

L-Gaim

Dragonar

Z Gundam

CCA

Gundam X

Gundam Wing EW

Turn-A

Gundam 00

VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire

Macross Plus

Macross Frontier

Eureka Seven movie

Edited by TSP

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not worried about the processing power of the PSP.

My concern is whether the VF performance will be deliberately handicapped, with slow turning, poor flight performance etc, so as to not make other lesser mecha seem too bad in comparison, the way that has seemed to happen with the recent PS3 Ace Game.

Graham

VF's handicapped to make other mecha fans feel better? Yah, like that will make me want to play this.

Buff up battroid then.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 3 weeks later...

No Orguss? :(

I like a couple of the non-Macross robots on the list, like the Dragonar, Layzner and maybe L-Gaim, but don't really care about the rest.

When I had a brief go on the PS3 version at a store display, I thought the controls were not very intuitive and overall I didn't find it much fun...

• 1 month later...

I saw this game is now out here in Hong Kong, so I presume it's been released in Japan as well. Saw it in the Oriental 188 center in Wanchai for HK$458.

Anybody bought and played it yet?

I want to hear some reviews before deciding if I should buy. I'm specifically interested in how easy or hard it is to play for someone who can't read Japanese? If there are too many long and complicated menus in Japanese then I'm not interested. Something like MUF I can handle, but any more complicated, forget it. I hate having to always refer to FAQs just to play a game.

Also, I'm very interested in how well (or not) the VFs handle in all three modes? If the fighter mode is crappy, flys/turns like a brick, then forget it.

Graham

In my opinion, it was kinda disappointment. The controls are kinda clunky and not being able to control the camera makes navigation awkward. Maybe I will warm up to it but so far I have enjoyed it a lot less then the other ACEs I have played. It is definitely not like MUF, much slower and a lot less missles.

Edited by shadow3393

• 2 weeks later...

I had a go on this today and it's OK, it feels a bit like Armored Core, I think it was developed by From Software, right?

It has absolutely nothing on MUF, though. I only played as the Layzner (don't care for the other mecha -- WHY IS THERE NO ORGUSS??), and I just don't feel that there is a sense of speed and/or heft to the mecha, or a sense of urgency in the gameplay.

I remember when I first picked up Mac Ace Frontier and it was like a total blur for two minutes, I didn't know what happened, as if someone put my PSP on fast-forward. I'm too used to that now, there's no way I can go back to boring slow robots.

It's not intrinsically bad, but not a must-buy unless you care about any of the robots. Plus the graphics on MUF seem better to me.

i played the game for some weeks now..

I have played most of the A.C.E series(except for the first and R)

It is a pretty nice sequel..grphics are OK,gameplay is alright..

Although, Macross wise..It is not a great game.. really? 5 valks only?? no Armored parts?? No YF-21?? you gotta be kidding me....no armored parts is really a shame...would be sooooo much a better game if they made it..

no that i have played Triangular Frontier...i would really say pass this game..

although graphics are not so good for the macross games, the gaming experience on Mac TF is much better...

and yes, this is my first time playing a modern macross game..(others being NES and PSX games)

ACE is good times... but it's really better if you're a Gundam fan. I remember the YF-19 being ok in ACE 3 on the PS2, but the game is balanced to favor robots, not planes. I always wound up playing mostly the Gundams.