Which Valks to AVOID / SAFE

Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

Hello everyone, first post, but been lurking for awhile. I needed some advice from the community so I signed up.

I am pretty much convinced I need a 1/60 scale Valkyrie and I figured a classic DYRL Roy with strike pack would be a good one to get. I have heard good things about the 1/60 yamato's in general but as this is my first expensive toy purchase I want to be sure that it is going to be a smart decision.

Mainly I am concerned about the shoulder problems I hear about. Is this still a concern? Is it something I can avoid if I am careful with the transformations? Does anyone have a favorite retailer (I am in Canada)

thanks in advance, I am looking forward to getting into the toys.

..I am looking forward to getting into the toys.

turn around! you can still be saved! your wallet too..

kidding aside, the latest VF-1S are pretty safe. now since you mentioned toys, as in plural, you might also want to check out the VF-11B and VF-27 both of which are exceptionally well-built.

The anniversary DYRL VF-1S and most recent VF-1 valks are safe. For a comprehensive list of the older VF-1 releases you can take a look here.

http://anymoon.com/blog/2010/03/01/yamato-160-v2-1-low-vis-vf-1s-focker/

As stated earlier, Yamato's VF-11 and Bandai's VF-27 are damn near perfect so if you want a safe valk those are your best bets. For the most part, all of Yamato's Mac 7 valks are pretty good though the original Plus versions of the YF-19 and YF-21 might be floppy. Anything from Macross Zero is risky and Bandai's VF-25 are floppy. So in short.

Yamato

SV-51 Ivan - Avoid

SV-51 Nora - Slightly Risky

SV-51 CF - Slightly Risky

Early VF-0S - Avoid

Recent VF-0S - Slightly Risky

VF-0A - Fairly safe?

VF-1 - Recent releases should be safe

Konig Monster - Really floppy

VF-11 - Perfect

YF-19 - Slightly floppy

VF-19 - Safe

YF-21 - Should be safe

VF-22 - Safe

Bandai

VF-25 - Floppy

VF-27 - Perfect

Konig Monster - Safe (Perfect?)

thanks for the responses guys, now I have a much better idea. I am probably going to pounce on a yf-19 and wait for a newer, more readily available vf-1s(roy) with strike parts to show up. I will keep you posted.

The anniversary DYRL VF-1S and most recent VF-1 valks are safe. For a comprehensive list of the older VF-1 releases you can take a look here.

http://anymoon.com/blog/2010/03/01/yamato-160-v2-1-low-vis-vf-1s-focker/

As stated earlier, Yamato's VF-11 and Bandai's VF-27 are damn near perfect so if you want a safe valk those are your best bets. For the most part, all of Yamato's Mac 7 valks are pretty good though the original Plus versions of the YF-19 and YF-21 might be floppy. Anything from Macross Zero is risky and Bandai's VF-25 are floppy. So in short.

Yamato

SV-51 Ivan - Avoid

SV-51 Nora - Slightly Risky

SV-51 CF - Slightly Risky

Early VF-0S - Avoid

Recent VF-0S - Slightly Risky

VF-0A - Fairly safe?

VF-1 - Recent releases should be safe

Konig Monster - Really floppy

VF-11 - Perfect

YF-19 - Slightly floppy

VF-19 - Safe

YF-21 - Should be safe

VF-22 - Safe

Bandai

VF-25 - Floppy

VF-27 - Perfect

Konig Monster - Safe (Perfect?)

If you can find the older ones at a discount or deal I would not worry to much about picking them up. I have 2 that have cracked shoulders and if you remove the shoulder armor and loosen the screws about half a turn you should be ok. Even if the shoulders are cracked just be careful with the shoulders and loosen up the upper arm screws a bit. I have yet to break off the cracked arms on mine but I am careful with them.

If your feeling really adventurous you can remove the pins that have the "knurling" on the ends and sand/file the "knurling" off to fix the problem.

That being said the latter models are a better choice if you want to avoid the issue. The VF-1D's are great (hell all the 2 seaters are). Safe bet is buy a latter release valk and buy the strike or super parts separately if you can find them. A Low Vis Roy Valk with strike parts would look pretty cool I think and the Max and Mira VF-1 Valks (blue and and red) should be fine too.

Safe bet on other valks.

VF-1 - Everything that came out after the Max TV color version is supposed to be good I think. So the Cannon Fodders, VF-1 Low Vis Roy, M&M, VF-1D's, VE-1 and VT-1. The anniversaries are supposed to be fine but they can be expensive.

VF-27 (Bandai) - nose paint can be a bit fragile but otherwise great.

VF-11 - great and the only problem I have with mine is getting the gun to stay in the hand sometimes. Also the canopy gimmick can be a real bitch if you have large hands. Comes in White or Grey both are good.

VF-1D - Great.

VE-1 Elint - Awesome toy.

VT-1 Ostrich - Just as great as the Elint.

Armor parts for VF-1 - Great and no problems.

VF-22 - Good and none of the versions I have seem to run into the floppiness problems that I got with my YF-21 in battroid mode.

Destroids - The Tomahawk and Defender are great!

Konig Monster (Bandai) - Seems to be fine. Too new to know if some problems will creep up over time.

Special mention:

The Macross Quarter (Bandai) - yeah it's a floppy mess in ship mode (hence all the stand pieces). In Battroid mode it is my favorite Macross piece! If you can find it for under or around $100 don't hesitate to buy it.

YF-19 - latter Double nut release (can't remember the other) are supposed to be pretty tight so they would be good to pick up.

VF-1 1/48 scale - if you can find one. They have some issues too but still a great toy. Try and see if you can find one cheap...it's worth it to have one as they have the removable nose cone gimmick, movable flaps on the wings, and a sling for the gun pod??? .

SV-51 - yeah they can have floppy wings. Only really matters if you are going to be swishing it upside down or on it's side allot. My floppy Nora just sits in it's stand (in various transformations depending on the mode that I am in) and I still love it. Paid less than $100 for it too so that's probably why.

Edited by logos

Logos is close on the V2 VF-1 toys but not quite. The VF-1J Hikaru that came with the GBP was old stock so it's not safe. The VT-1, for whatever reason, also has the old shoulder hinges so it is also not safe.

My VT-1 does not have the knurled pins in it. So I think it might be luck of the draw on that one and I did forget about the VF-1J Hikaru with the Armored parts.

Logos is close on the V2 VF-1 toys but not quite. The VF-1J Hikaru that came with the GBP was old stock so it's not safe. The VT-1, for whatever reason, also has the old shoulder hinges so it is also not safe.

I beg to differ. The SECOND batch Yamato released of VF-1J with GBP was and is safe and good to go. I have one. It's perfect.

You're not differing so much as amending. Differing would be insisting that all Hikarus with GBPs were safe and you're simply adding that there is a second run that is safe... sadly I don't believe you can tell if it's a first or second edition by the packaging.

Edited by jenius

thanks for the responses guys, now I have a much better idea. I am probably going to pounce on a yf-19 and wait for a newer, more readily available vf-1s(roy) with strike parts to show up. I will keep you posted.

I'd recommend the later release of the YF-19. The earlier releases were problematic too.

Generally it's a good idea to avoid eBay for Yamato stuff.

Amiami or HLJ. Others I checked are sold out.

I'd recommend the later release of the YF-19. The earlier releases were problematic too.

MacrossWorld is a good place to get Valks too. Seriously, I've been hooked up by other fans here many times.

For durability, go with the 1:48. Haven't have a SERIOUS issue yet with ANY of the ones I've owned. Some minor things here and there, but they are pretty solid.

sometimes base on our luck..even some people review said it was superb n nothing problem..but when it come to u..u will get the problem i.e QC..so dont put high expectation..mine SV-51 nora superb no floppy wing,joining tight but some people said floppy wing n risky..so how?

I wouldn't completely rule out places like eBay or Amazon. Granted they should never be your first place to go for valks, they can be pretty helpful for accessories like Ghost Booster, Strike Packs, Fast Packs, and Fold Boosters.

That said, along with hlj and amiami, I found that angolz and over-drive are pretty good places to order from.

Check out Angolz. They seem to be having a sale on some of their Macross stuff right now.

Bought a YF-19 double nuts on Angolz last night for $120. You can also find the Max and Mira 1/48 on sale there for under $100 which is a complete steal.

Does anyone know of a site that has the VF-1 1/60 Max and Mira in stock? I waited too long to purchase these and now I can find them in stock at Angolz, Overdrive, Hobby Search, Hobby Link or Ami Ami.

Edited by logos